Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:29:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 [263] 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 ... 1310 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Ethereum: Welcome to the Beginning  (Read 2004002 times)
BitThink
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 10:24:46 AM

Etherium seems really interesting and useful, but regards the price of ETH, my main concern is as following. ETH, as we know, is the fuel of smart contracts. Suppose the cost of creating a contract is 0.01 ETH, then if ETH becomes 100 USD each, the cost will be $1, appreantly too much. We can certainly reduce the cost to 0.0001 or lower, but then it reduce the demand and effectively creates an inflation.

Meanwhile, Etherium is an open source project; after changing to PoS, nothing stops others to create a clone with much lower fuel price. All users can easily switch as long as the VM is compatible. Therefore, we can expect the fuel will always be low, and so is the ETH price in long term, for etherium to be successful.

Any thoughts? I wish someone could prove I am wrong and then I could spend more on ETH investing.

Alright sure, but 72 million of ETH is not really a massive number. I understand your concern if there would be 10 billion in the market. But as it divisible as Bitcoins, it would be the same scenario. If tomorrow Bitcoin becomes massively adopted then 100 bits would be a lot when now it's nothing, same concept here.
BTC is different.

1, the main usage of BTC is payment and store of value, not fuel of smart contract. only transferring costs money.
While ETH is need to do everything related in smart contracts, much more than transferring.

2, more importantly, as a PoW coin, there's no possibility to clone a BTC due to its huge hashing rate.
While Etherium can be easily copied after it changed to PoS.

You could be right... or you could be the next Kodak...
I don't think ETH is competing with BTC. I think they are different things. BTC is coin, Etherium is like iOS, an operating system. ETH is just like the charge on usage on all iOS programmer and users. Now my question is, how to prevent someone creates an iOS clone? it's even not like Android, which cannot run iOS apps. It is a real clone and can run all Apps with much lower fees. There's no law can protect Etherium in this case. That's my biggest concern.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
m4nki

Activity: 1039
Merit: 510

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 10:27:08 AM

Kodak missed the rise of new technology.

Ethereum is new technology.

Unless something bigger than crypto currencies take over, I think Ethereum will not likely end up as Kodak.

MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2016, 10:41:34 AM

Kodak missed the rise of new technology.

Ethereum is new technology.

Unless something bigger than crypto currencies take over, I think Ethereum will not likely end up as Kodak.

That's what I said.
Was talking about Bitcoin Wink
Madmach

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 10:45:10 AM

Etherium seems really interesting and useful, but regards the price of ETH, my main concern is as following. ETH, as we know, is the fuel of smart contracts. Suppose the cost of creating a contract is 0.01 ETH, then if ETH becomes 100 USD each, the cost will be $1, appreantly too much. We can certainly reduce the cost to 0.0001 or lower, but then it reduce the demand and effectively creates an inflation.

Meanwhile, Etherium is an open source project; after changing to PoS, nothing stops others to create a clone with much lower fuel price. All users can easily switch as long as the VM is compatible. Therefore, we can expect the fuel will always be low, and so is the ETH price in long term, for etherium to be successful.

Any thoughts? I wish someone could prove I am wrong and then I could spend more on ETH investing.

Alright sure, but 72 million of ETH is not really a massive number. I understand your concern if there would be 10 billion in the market. But as it divisible as Bitcoins, it would be the same scenario. If tomorrow Bitcoin becomes massively adopted then 100 bits would be a lot when now it's nothing, same concept here.
BTC is different.

1, the main usage of BTC is payment and store of value, not fuel of smart contract. only transferring costs money.
While ETH is need to do everything related in smart contracts, much more than transferring.

2, more importantly, as a PoW coin, there's no possibility to clone a BTC due to its huge hashing rate.

I don't think ETH is competing with BTC. I think they are different things. BTC is coin, Etherium is like iOS, an operating system. ETH is just like the charge on usage on all iOS programmer and users. Now my question is, how to prevent someone creates an iOS clone? it's even not like Android, which cannot run iOS apps. It is a real clone and can run all Apps with much lower fees. There's no law can protect Etherium in this case. That's my biggest concern.

I think, that Bitcoin has currently more clones, than Ethereum. Roll Eyes
WilderX

Activity: 597
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 10:50:55 AM

Hi, from what I have gathered from the official Ethereum blog posts is that once Ethereum have been scaled to capeable of handling 100000 transactions per second as opposed to now 10-20 transactions per second the "gas price" or simply in other words the ETH you pay for block space will go down of equal proportion. That is what my logic tells it should be since then there will be so much more block space so transactions should be cheaper, but I am not 100% sure this is how the Ethereum protocol will work it could be wrong assumption or can someone confirm this?

Shards implementation will be very interesting if Vitaliks theory works.

BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 10:53:06 AM

BTC is different.

The point is that you cannot use any BTC clone as BTC, but you can run any script or contract on an Etherium clone.
BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 10:57:46 AM

Hi, from what I have gathered from the official Ethereum blog posts is that once Ethereum have been scaled to capeable of handling 100000 transactions per second as opposed to now 10-20 transactions per second the "gas price" or simply in other words the ETH you pay for block space will go down of equal proportion. That is what my logic tells it should be since then there will be so much more block space so transactions should be cheaper, but I am not 100% sure this is how the Ethereum protocol will work it could be wrong assumption or can someone confirm this?

This is a good news, but 100K transactions per second seems really unrealistic for a distributed system. Really need to check their papers carefully for me to believe this number.
MaGNeT
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2016, 10:58:36 AM

BTC is different.

The point is that you cannot use any BTC clone as BTC, but you can run any script or contract on an Etherium clone.

But that still doesn't make it Ethereum, just like LTC or NMC isn't Bitcoin.
It's all about the size of the userbase and development. Clones will always be a step behind on ETH development.
BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 11:03:50 AM

BTC is different.

It's all about the size of the userbase and development. Clones will always be a step behind on ETH development.
Unless you close the source, otherwise others just use "git pull" to catch up with all the updates you make.
The only thing left to protect Etherium is just user base, just like any open source project. I don't think this protection alone can protect ETH to rise to $100.
MaGNeT
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2016, 11:07:02 AM

BTC is different.

Unless you close the source, otherwise others just use "git pull" to catch up with all the updates you make.
The only thing left to protect Etherium is just user base, just like any open source project. I don't think this protection alone can protect ETH to rise to $100.

If you feel like that, I would really advice not to invest in ETH.
I did though.
WilderX

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 11:07:22 AM

This is a good news, but 100K transactions per second seems really unrealistic for a distributed system. Really need to check their papers carefully for me to believe this number.

It's here: (look at the paragraph named scalability)
https://blog.ethereum.org/2015/10/18/vitaliks-research-and-ecosystem-update/

Whether or not they deliver remains to be seen.

nexern

Merit: 500

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 11:13:55 AM

yes, sharding is a game changer not only for scaling. it incentives 'entities' to stay on the eth chain instead cloning.
it won't prevent cloning in all cases but for many 'products', acting on consumers, it gives advantages to run contracts
on semi-private metalayers on the main chain. sharding is used since years in db-country so it should work. however,
as soon sharding is confirmed, i will throw my remaining btc on eth in zero-time.

Dekker3D

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 11:15:13 AM

ETH and BTC are both on the rise recently, with ETH having more upside but since ETH is more of like an operating system we're still waiting for the altcoin that will utilize its features.

jubalix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2016, 11:18:34 AM

Etherium is a very slow computer...that can't be turned off....and the state can be inspected anywhere.....

this have benefits for critical application, the ones that large amounts of money depend on

Admitted Practicing Lawyer::BTC/Crypto Specialist. B.Engineering/B.Laws

https://www.binance.com/?ref=10062065
tedbaong

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 11:36:51 AM

up and down its so pretty Grin Grin
BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 11:39:36 AM

It's here: (look at the paragraph named scalability)
https://blog.ethereum.org/2015/10/18/vitaliks-research-and-ecosystem-update/

Whether or not they deliver remains to be seen.
Thanks a lot. Will read it carefully.
WilderX

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 11:40:09 AM

yes, sharding is a game changer not only for scaling. it incentives 'entities' to stay on the eth chain instead cloning.
it won't prevent cloning in all cases but for many 'products', acting on consumers, it gives advantages to run contracts
on semi-private metalayers on the main chain. sharding is used since years in db-country so it should work. however,
as soon sharding is confirmed, i will throw my remaining btc on eth in zero-time.

Are you sure you want to do that? Let's assume Ethereum succesfully scales to 100k transactions per second and let's assume Ethereum gets popular and apps are run on the network even so much apps as to reach that 100k transactions is run every second. I calculate that even then the daily total transaction costs would be around 1296ETH per day. Surely POS rewards are much more than that and this is why I believe there's much higher sell pressure on ETH than buy pressure. My logic tells me the price will only go down as Ethereum scales.

nexern

Merit: 500

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 12:22:20 PM

yes, i am sure.
turning a slow but robust single cpu into a fast and robust multicore cpu/gpu sounds good to me.
from my experience with nxt (100% pos, no inflation). pos rewarded sell pressure doesn't have
notable impact since it is just a recycling (fixed supply | closed system) on already fullfilled usage
(buy) demand. the pos specs aren't written in stone yet but a 1% inflation isn't sufficient to make
a difference from my pov. a self-adjusting recycle loop with a zero sum outcome so said but we
will see because this depends heavily on how eth pos is finally designed.

Koamder

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 03:13:31 PM

I think it is better to keep Ethereum as a PoW for a few more years so that its user base can be increased further as there are more miners.
Fatman3001
Legendary

Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 03:25:20 PM

I think it is better to keep Ethereum as a PoW for a few more years so that its user base can be increased further as there are more miners.

PoW mining is a PR problem if you want to reach a larger audience.

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995
Pages: « 1 ... 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 [263] 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 ... 1310 »
  Print  

Jump to: