Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:50:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 [665] 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 ... 1035 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [MINT] Mintcoin (POS / 5%) [NO ICO] [Fair distro, community maintained]  (Read 1369739 times)
weltmeister

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:27:25 PM

It is unlocked but I open it occassionally. Even if I bought the mintcoins from the stock exchange and transferred them to my wallet, I would get an interest in an interval like every 20 days right?

I am not 100% sure what you mean. The "age" of the coins resets every time you move them. So like if you bought 10 days ago on an exchange, then transferred to your own wallet today, the age of the coins is now 0 not 10 days old.

Also, it isn't exactly every 20 days. It cannot happen until they are at least 20 days old but there is no guarantee that it will happen immediately at the 20-day mark. Most of mine happen at 23-25 days or so as I said earlier.

I moved it from the exchange to my own wallet something like 2 weeks ago, thanks for the explanation and have a nice day.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mintcointeam (OP)

Activity: 325
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:55:48 PM
Last edit: April 16, 2014, 03:40:26 PM by mintcointeam

Coaex, precious metals store, is now accepting MintCoin, buy Gold and Silver bars!

http://www.coaex.com/now-accept-mintcoin-payments/

They also offer to create Customized Gold Bars with MintCoin logo if you are interested!

If you guys prepare some MintCoin images for us, we can gladly feature these products on our store and produce these upon customer’s demand. As you may notice from this request, Coaex is a community-driven company, growing with its customers.  We will soon prepare some templates, write a guideline how to create these images but in general, the image sizes are 640 x 1000 px or bigger.
stormia

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:31:09 PM

It is unlocked but I open it occassionally. Even if I bought the mintcoins from the stock exchange and transferred them to my wallet, I would get an interest in an interval like every 20 days right?

I am not 100% sure what you mean. The "age" of the coins resets every time you move them. So like if you bought 10 days ago on an exchange, then transferred to your own wallet today, the age of the coins is now 0 not 10 days old.

Also, it isn't exactly every 20 days. It cannot happen until they are at least 20 days old but there is no guarantee that it will happen immediately at the 20-day mark. Most of mine happen at 23-25 days or so as I said earlier.

I moved it from the exchange to my own wallet something like 2 weeks ago, thanks for the explanation and have a nice day.

Hey welt it sounds like you may just need to leave your wallet open and unlocked for longer. Minting is a lot like mining where the number of coins you have and their coinage are analogous to your hashpower- the more coins you have to stake and the greater their coinage the more likely you are to find a block. I usually leave mine open and unlocked for a few hours when it is time to mint. Also, you may have already said this and I missed it, but what wallet are you using?
Invisible Hands

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:56:28 PM
Last edit: April 16, 2014, 04:24:55 PM by Invisible Hands

Can someone tell me what is wrong with the wallet?  

I suspect some of the nodes in the conf file need to be deleted/banned
Can someone tell me which ones?

Current number of blocks:  254061
Estimated total blocks:  265643  <-----------------------

from console

11581 blocks remaining

The incorrect nodes need to be banned.

Then suddenly it says it is synced again:

Current number of blocks:  254079
Estimated total blocks:  254071  <--------------------------

"wallet check passed" : true
whoshero

Activity: 15

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:56:49 PM

我们想在中国宣传MINT,因为我想会很受欢迎,目前MINTCOIN在中国知道的人还非常少,了解它的人更少,所以我觉得可以做。
Jeff Jefferson

Activity: 307
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:57:42 PM

Android wallet update 2:

Hey paspi, amazing news!

I've read your post a couple of times now. And still I don't fully understand the way the wallet works or the possible problem.  Roll Eyes Maybe you could explain it using an example? I'm not that techy so please keep it simple. I would really like to help you.

Do you see any possibility of a malfunction or a possible scam when the android wallet you're developing uses only the transactions of the last 40 days?

Is this problem only relevant for the minting process or is it necessary to have the whole blockchain on the android device in order to simply send and receive mintcoins?

Maybe it is possible to verify only some blocks of the blockchain instead of having the whole blockchain on the android device. I mean additionally to the blocks from the last 40 days maybe only verify the 100th or the 10000th block of the blockchain. That way it is secured that the correct blockchain is used? Or is it another problem?

Also maybe it is possible to mint using the android device without securing the network? (<-sound stupid but i mean it). As long as enough wallets are run on the laptops and pcs the network is secure.

Thank you for your efforts and your explanations!
dogechode

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 04:51:02 PM

No problem, if it was about 2 weeks ago then you probably need to wait another week or so for the coins to start minting. You can check coin age if you have the newest wallet ( 1.8 ) by enabling "coin control" under settings and then going to send coins and I believe there is a button there that says "inputs" (sorry I don't have the wallet in front of me.)
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 05:12:45 PM
Last edit: April 16, 2014, 08:04:10 PM by David Latapie

Hi everyone,

I created a Linux wallet for non Debian Linuxes (specifically, for Arch and Manjaro).

You can download it on mintcoin-central.com/downloads it is called "Wallet 1.8 Linux (Arch/Manjaro) with coin control". I will upload it on mintcoin.cc as soon as possible. It doesn't have coin control yet since I am using the official git.

Please notice this is my very first compilation. It works for me but it might not for you. PM me!

Now that I finally can get a secure Wallet (i.e. not on a Windows VM), expect some more news!

Credit given where credit is due: thanks to lonely@thetop for  the solution.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
stormia

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 07:34:51 PM

我们想在中国宣传MINT,因为我想会很受欢迎,目前MINTCOIN在中国知道的人还非常少,了解它的人更少,所以我觉得可以做。

I agree, I think it would be a good idea to focus some marketing towards China.
stormia

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 07:35:31 PM

Hi everyone,

I created a Linux wallet for non Debian Linuxes (specifically, for Arch and Manjaro).

You can download it on mintcoin-central.com/downloads it is called "Wallet 1.8 Linux (Arch/Manjaro) with coin control". I will upload it on mintcoin.cc as soon as possible. It doesn't have coin control yet since I am using the official git.

Please notice this is my very first compilation. It works for me but it might not for you. PM me!

Now that I finally can get a secure Wallet (i.e. not on a Windows VM), expect some more news!

Credit given where credit is due: thanks to lonely@thetop for  the solution.

+1. Nice work, David!
David Latapie

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 08:04:27 PM

+1. Nice work, David!
Thanks!

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
paspi

Activity: 185

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 08:11:53 PM

Can someone tell me what is wrong with the wallet?  

I suspect some of the nodes in the conf file need to be deleted/banned
Can someone tell me which ones?

Current number of blocks:  254061
Estimated total blocks:  265643  <-----------------------

from console

11581 blocks remaining

The incorrect nodes need to be banned.

Then suddenly it says it is synced again:

Current number of blocks:  254079
Estimated total blocks:  254071  <--------------------------

"wallet check passed" : true

Hi, you don't have to do anything, your wallet notices that some node tries to feed it an invalid blockchain and bans its IP for 24 hours automatically (you can track the banning process from debug.log file).

It's actually just a display issue (rogue client's advertised blockchain height keeps showing in the UI after it's banned&disconnected, until a few new connections are made to overwrite it), check my post below.

Rogue clients are expected on a P2P network, and mintcoin wallet already has tools to protect itself from them. For the display issue, it'll be fixed in next release -- I already submitted a patch for it and devs merged it. It's not critical, so not urgent, just confusing.

Hello,
If you're using 1.8 wallet, you can safely ignore sync problems. Just hover your mouse on the "syncing" text, if it says last generated block is generated just a few seconds/minutes ago, then you're fine.

There are some rogue clients on the network that announce wrong block heights (they are people who did not upgrade to 1.7 or upgraded late, and still haven't noticed), when such a client connects to you, it confuses your client. Your client disconnects them, but the estimate on UI stays there. So it's really a display issue.

MINT: MdPQhsGufjm5AXYkHebbnF2A155xDqVfK7
ahbartsch

Activity: 165

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 08:12:28 PM

How do we take advantage of coin control? Does it automatically withdraw the last deposited coins in the wallet or is it more technical?
paspi

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 08:18:18 PM

How do we take advantage of coin control? Does it automatically withdraw the last deposited coins in the wallet or is it more technical?
Just enable it from settings window first. A new panel will appear in Send Coins.

If open Coin Control window from there, you can see all your incoming transactions eligible for spending. You can sort them, and choose the ones you want to spend. If you don't use Coin Control, it works the same as before.

I use coin control to send from freshly minted coins (coinage < 1 days), or send from oldest but very low value transactions compared to others. It is up to you to decide what's best for you.

BitcoinFX
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1720

https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 08:37:04 PM

I saw this tweet today from Mattatat ‏@BrownleeMathew Apr 10

"Weird...had a dream that my laptop was solar powered and minting physical #mintcoin. Were constantly popping out of the side #efficiency"

... and decided to checkout if something like this might already be possible using existing tech. and in terms of some ROI over-time etc.

Solar/Battery Powered Raspberry Pi - http://youtu.be/Ze5mqZyondQ

Raspberry Pi Raspdock by alivemaker - http://youtu.be/VoANgBYFCEY   Cool

or a Raspberry Pi Laptop with Atrix 4G Dock - http://youtu.be/yZkz_a52I6s

More Solar power...

Anker 14-Watt Foldable Solar Panel Battery Charger with Astro E5 15000mAh External Battery - http://youtu.be/xYDn5M1Vb3M

So, actually quite feasible and perhaps when you compare it with something like this...

A LOOK INSIDE AMERICA'S LARGEST BITCOIN MINING OPERATION - http://youtu.be/5CjldZLXiAU

#Mintcoin is certainly much more #EcoFriendly !

"Bitcoin OG" 1JXFXUBGs2ZtEDAQMdZ3tkCKo38nT2XSEp | Bitcoin logo™ Enforcer? | Bitcoin is BTC | CSW is NOT Satoshi Nakamoto | I Mine BTC, LTC, ZEC, XMR and GAP | BTC on Tor addnodes Project | Media enquiries : Wu Ming | Enjoy The Money Machine | "You cannot compete with Open Source" and "Cryptography != Banana" | BSV and BCH are COUNTERFEIT.
David Latapie

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 08:40:31 PM

Excellent initiative, BitcoinFX!

Our coding team could probably compile a wallet for the raspberry. This would be a great way to advertise mintcoin, especially if can secure some advertisement. Could the marketing team handle this?
(if anyone wants to join the marketing team, contact me)

paspi

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 09:07:46 PM

Android wallet update 2:

Hey paspi, amazing news!

I've read your post a couple of times now. And still I don't fully understand the way the wallet works or the possible problem.  Roll Eyes Maybe you could explain it using an example? I'm not that techy so please keep it simple. I would really like to help you.

Oh, OK.

Normally, reference client works by validating the blockchain from block #0 to block #250,000. The ledger is public, every POW or POS block generated (and the transactions in them) are public, and the reference client just fetches them from the network, and replays it. It also stores every block and every transaction, so it can cope with the network choosing one branch over another.

Each block (POS or POW) has a difficulty target contained in it, the block's information can be used to prove that CPU time was spent there and block is indeed at least as difficult as it claims to be. Soemtimes main chain can fork, and reference clients follow the chain with the largest amount of work in it. But they can switch over to another branch if network chooses to continue on it and its total amount of work (since block #0) passes the others.

On the other hand, SPV clients are light weight they don't store every block or every transaction. They just store last 5000 blocks' headers (amount of CPU work in the block, and block's connection to older blocks up to genesis can be verified from there). They try to keep track of every possible branch by its cumulative work (since block #0), and follow the longest one. They don't try to verify any transactions, just show the user received coins if they notice a transaction to their own addresses. Verification means the coins you received were spendable by the person who sent them to you (1.the coins was really received by his address previously, 2. and they were not spent before).

This spent/unspent verification can continue up to Block #0 in a reference client. A SPV client trusts that this verification was made by the network, and network won't relay invalid blocks to the SPV client. Even if a rogue peer sends some blocks that look legitimate by their Proof Of Work, but don't contain valid transactions; eventually cpu power of network would gain advantage and would generate more Proof Of Work (resulting in a longer chain), surpassing rogue peer's chain.

For a theoretical SPV client for POW+POS coins, last paragraph is what causes the problem. The amount of work specified in a  block's header is indeed correct, and can be summed up to the genesis block to see which chain has more work in it. But if the block is not POW but a POS block, work amount specified in block header is very low, the actual difficulty exists in the coinstake transaction.

If a client does not verify coinstake transactions, a rogue party can just feed him lots of POS blocks with invalid transactions in it, faster than what the network generates. Client will believe the longer chain is the correct chain, and follow it; it may end up in a fraudalent payment that looks as received on SPV client.

All clients keep track of spent and unspent transactions only on the main chain. If another chain is found out to be longer, all blocks on the old chain from the fork point is disconnected, and blocks on the better chain are connected one by one. While connecting blocks one by one, transaction verification is done on every new block. This is a reorganization, happens once in a while when some parts of the network follow different blocks, but sorts itself out after some transactions (it's the reason for 50 confirmation limit).

The second problem for a SPV POW+POS client lies in the above paragraph. A SPV POW+POS client might say "I will only store last 5000 blocks and transactions, and I will use them verify transactions when reorganization occurs. And leave the rest of the transactions unverified if I don't have information on their source coins anymore"). Now here's the attack: because I know that client verifies transactions only in the main chain, and does not try to verify transactions on other chains until they become longer than the main chain, I can feed the client a total of 5000 blocks in multiple chain branches to overwrite the valid blocks in its storage (but without any of the branch becoming longer than the main chain), then once I know the client doesn't store historical blocks, I can make one of by chains longer than the main chain, and lure the client.

To overcome this problem, not only light-verification of the longest chain is needed, but all chains must be verified to prevent them becoming longer than main chain earlier if there are already problems with them. (This verification is challenging part). Also all transactions need to be stored for those stored blocks (because any of them may be needed to verify a further POS block), this is another problem.

For POS blocks that cannot be verified (and also cannot be marked as invalid, block seems legit but client deleted its history so it cannot verify it anymore) ; I decided on counting their difficulty in the chain as zero (instead of their target difficulty), so if a long series of unverifable POS blocks won't be able to cause that chain to become longer. The network will have the advantage if it can generate *verifiable* blocks faster than the attacker.

These measures are necessary for being sure that you actually received the incoming transactions and that you are not scammed.

Do you see any possibility of a malfunction or a possible scam when the android wallet you're developing uses only the transactions of the last 40 days?

Is this problem only relevant for the minting process or is it necessary to have the whole blockchain on the android device in order to simply send and receive mintcoins?

Maybe it is possible to verify only some blocks of the blockchain instead of having the whole blockchain on the android device. I mean additionally to the blocks from the last 40 days maybe only verify the 100th or the 10000th block of the blockchain. That way it is secured that the correct blockchain is used? Or is it another problem?

Also maybe it is possible to mint using the android device without securing the network? (<-sound stupid but i mean it). As long as enough wallets are run on the laptops and pcs the network is secure.

Thank you for your efforts and your explanations!

Actually I'm thinking on this. Probably minted POS blocks on android will not include broadcasted transactions as they cannot actually prove the transactions are valid (It won't be good to include non verifiable transactions in a block, the network would reject the block and all work to generate that POS block will be wasted). Although this would mean android wallets would be selfish, not helping to include transactions in the blockchain, it also means that they won't receive the transaction fees, leaving them to other clients to collect. So I guess it's fair.

Sorry for the long post. The subject has too many delicate details and I guess in the end I will have to write a whitepaper on it to describe it properly with all the issues.

gonzoucab

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 09:22:34 PM

I saw this tweet today from Mattatat ‏@BrownleeMathew Apr 10

"Weird...had a dream that my laptop was solar powered and minting physical #mintcoin. Were constantly popping out of the side #efficiency"

... and decided to checkout if something like this might already be possible using existing tech. and in terms of some ROI over-time etc.

Solar/Battery Powered Raspberry Pi - http://youtu.be/Ze5mqZyondQ

Raspberry Pi Raspdock by alivemaker - http://youtu.be/VoANgBYFCEY   Cool

or a Raspberry Pi Laptop with Atrix 4G Dock - http://youtu.be/yZkz_a52I6s

More Solar power...

Anker 14-Watt Foldable Solar Panel Battery Charger with Astro E5 15000mAh External Battery - http://youtu.be/xYDn5M1Vb3M

So, actually quite feasible and perhaps when you compare it with something like this...

A LOOK INSIDE AMERICA'S LARGEST BITCOIN MINING OPERATION - http://youtu.be/5CjldZLXiAU

#Mintcoin is certainly much more #EcoFriendly !

THATS A REALLY COOL IDEA!
BitcoinFX
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1720

https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 09:22:50 PM

Excellent initiative, BitcoinFX!

Our coding team could probably compile a wallet for the raspberry. This would be a great way to advertise mintcoin, especially if can secure some advertisement. Could the marketing team handle this?
(if anyone wants to join the marketing team, contact me)

Thanks! It should be possible to do fully 'off-grid' Minting by using one of those mobile phone USB dongle things.

I'm not sure if the tech. would have a longevity issue with the number of charge cycles, but it would also be possible to chain the batteries. Some of those high mAh external batteries actually have built in solar panels as well. I've seen portable versions up to around 30000 to 50000 mAh with solar panels built-in, but anything higher starts to look a bit like a mini generator.

"Bitcoin OG" 1JXFXUBGs2ZtEDAQMdZ3tkCKo38nT2XSEp | Bitcoin logo™ Enforcer? | Bitcoin is BTC | CSW is NOT Satoshi Nakamoto | I Mine BTC, LTC, ZEC, XMR and GAP | BTC on Tor addnodes Project | Media enquiries : Wu Ming | Enjoy The Money Machine | "You cannot compete with Open Source" and "Cryptography != Banana" | BSV and BCH are COUNTERFEIT.
mgburks77

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 09:48:28 PM

that's a wonderful idea!!!!

I'm getting one!
Pages: « 1 ... 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 [665] 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 ... 1035 »
  Print  

Jump to: