Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:38:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 62 »
  Print  
Author Topic: 1GH/s, 20w, $500 — Butterflylabs, is it a scam?  (Read 123037 times)
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2011, 07:50:26 PM

Is there some other address than that restaurant?  I mean, I've actually eaten there, so I've been inside, though I admittedly was not looking for FPGA's at the time. Smiley

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 08:03:59 PM

Is there some other address than that restaurant?  I mean, I've actually eaten there, so I've been inside, though I admittedly was not looking for FPGA's at the time. Smiley

They keep them on the spice rack..

Btw, just noticed your map reminds me of playing on MuDs..??  Ever played any?  I used to program for an LPC Mud(highly modified).

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2011, 08:06:22 PM

So I just walked across the street to closer inspect it.  Zaina is 25 Walnut Ste 105 and the Lofts are just 25 Walnut. 

Here's a couple pictures.  There is no way into the lofts without an access card and it does not look in any way, shape or form setup for any business.  No intercom on the outside, etc...

Zaina dose not serve FPGA's, for bitcoin or otherwise.

Btw, just noticed your map reminds me of playing on MuDs..??  Ever played any?  I used to program for an LPC Mud(highly modified).

Haha yeah, I played in quite a few MUDs and MOO's in the late 80's and early 90's.  I can't recall any of the names off the top of my head, though... wasn't ever into them that big, I was always trying to get on the terminals in the lab to play Nettrek and the like.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 01:28:53 AM

Actually -could- be legit. luke from eligius pool (he owns the pool) threw up a picture of the fpga miner. It was in a temp directory on his site so I copied it to my dropbox before it got taken down.

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2011, 01:41:20 AM

Looks fake to me.

sadpandatech

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 01:43:07 AM

Looks fake to me.

Looks great except the chips. Something. strange.  Possibly blurred to mask their idents or custom built and requested to be blanks?

Fake or not, I'm willing to waste the whole few seconds a day to check in on it. Just in case.  Tongue

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 10:17:34 AM

Looks pretty much as I'd expect, except for the lack of markings on the main chips. The key question is whether they'll be able to supply these in quantity at the price they're quoting.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
wormbog

Activity: 561

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 12:54:30 PM

In case anyone is still seriously thinking of sending money to these folks, consider this. Any business operating in the state of Missouri has to be registered with the state corporation commission. Missouri needs to know your real identity and a physical address so they can be sure you pay your taxes. ALL legitimate businesses are registered with the state.

Butterfly Labs Inc. is not registered with the state of Missouri. You can look it up yourself.

https://www.sos.mo.gov/BusinessEntity/soskb/CSearch.asp?dtm=322696759259259

Seriously people, don't willingly become the victim of a scammer. The more people take the bait on this sort of thing, the more scammers will appear. Knowledge is power.

Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 12:59:04 PM

Looks great except the chips. Something. strange.  Possibly blurred to mask their idents or custom built and requested to be blanks?
I've personally taken pictures of the internals of a good many embedded boards. I don't notice anything abnormal about this one.

worldinacoin

Activity: 756

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 01:01:25 PM

I thought that there is a Canary doing the testing? Smiley
sadpandatech

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 01:07:09 PM

I've personally taken pictures of the internals of a good many embedded boards. I don't notice anything abnormal about this one.

Is it common for there not not be, at the least, a lot #, run # or ver # on the chips?  Imho, its legit, but, I still maintain that it's strange to have 0 markings.  Which is why I added the '?' about it being blurred or possibly intentional nondescript surface.

- GA

Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 01:19:15 PM

Is it common for there not not be, at the least, a lot #, run # or ver # on the chips?
Pretty common, yes. But I don't think those silver things are chips-- they look more like the metal "casing" which contain chips. (I don't know the purpose of the casing, but I've seen it in a lot of devices)

sadpandatech

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 01:37:38 PM

Is it common for there not not be, at the least, a lot #, run # or ver # on the chips?
Pretty common, yes. But I don't think those silver things are chips-- they look more like the metal "casing" which contain chips. (I don't know the purpose of the casing, but I've seen it in a lot of devices)

Yea, intel chips have it. I am aware of the component nature. Maybe they added the casing for the purpose of masking the chips. *shrugs*

- GA

P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 01:42:40 PM

They are heatspreaders. It kinda make sense not to pay for lasering text on them if you are ordering a test batch.

sadpandatech

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 01:50:46 PM

They are heatspreaders. It kinda make sense not to pay for lasering text on them if you are ordering a test batch.

Yea, cost would be a very good reason. thanks. Wish they'd get to showing some live tests of hashing........

- GA

wormbog

Activity: 561

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 02:16:32 PM

Yea, cost would be a very good reason. thanks. Wish they'd get to showing some live tests of hashing........

Live testing? How is a nonexistent company going to produce a real product?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 02:27:22 PM
Last edit: November 03, 2011, 03:48:41 PM by DeathAndTaxes

You guys are hillarious.

An FPGA or structured ASIC would already have an etched heatspreader.

A fully custom ASIC would be in the range of millions of dollars.  So a couple guys living above a restaurant working for a corporation which isn't registered in the state got a million dollar run of a custom ASIC just for bitcoin mining and they just hapen to kill their yields by not marking any of the chips.  

Every chip would be etched even prototypes.  Period.  It helps in yield optimization.  Every square mm on a wafer is valuable.  A company may find their overall yield is 92% but in the upper right corner of the wafers on line #7 the yield is 28%.  Finding and fixing the cause could add millions to the bottom line. No way you are going to discover that without accurately tracking each chip from masking all they way through final production and analyzing all your failures.

So I say again "You guys are hillarious".  A company which can afford a custom ASIC run decided to save a quarter penny by not laser etching them (which would be part of any contracted run to begin with).  Roll Eyes
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2011, 03:08:08 PM

Looks great except the chips. Something. strange.  Possibly blurred to mask their idents or custom built and requested to be blanks?

So are you saying you actually took this picture yourself?

Also, not necessarily definitive, but that board in the picture does not match the PCB schematic at all.

Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 03:28:18 PM

No. Just other devices (EFIKA MX, many various cable modems, ...)

sadpandatech

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 03:33:43 PM

Looks great except the chips. Something. strange.  Possibly blurred to mask their idents or custom built and requested to be blanks?

Also, not necessarily definitive, but that board in the picture does not match the PCB schematic at all.

Umm, it matchs this exactly;  Edit; or nearly exactly, since it is possible some minor changes could have been made.

- GA

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 62 »
  Print  

Jump to: