Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:41:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Storj - Decentralized Storage  (Read 389680 times)
coin@coin
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 05:37:30 AM

hey guys, i love this function

its very very good news. i should use this on my websites.

Oh crap I need to check out the FileZilla plugin myself!

Thanks for sharing, looks great and easy to use.
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
freebutcaged

Activity: 588
Merit: 541

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 12:50:32 PM

Once I tried to run Storj share on my home computer but even after doing everything by the books I never got any offers after a week, recently

I installed the Storj share software on a vps and surprisingly not only I encountered any errors but immediately I got more than 100 peers and now

I'm at 400+ offers received. however with opening and forwarding all the ports, when I selected the port 4000 as a default strangely my connection

Shows another port with an orange color and it says tunnel. I need to read your guides to resolve that but why is it when I install any crypto wallet

I could just allow the wallet in my firewall and have as many connections both ways without any problem but when it comes to cryptos like Storj I'm

Having trouble, I believe with a Bitcoin wallet installed I am downloading and uploading files from more than 6 peers, so where is the catch it's not

That easy with Storj share? even though my brother told me this and other coins like it are all a big scam but I needed to verify for myself.

If this is supposed to work in such a way that every person with spare hard drive could rent their hard drives in order to achieve a true decentralized

Network it should also be as easy as a few clicks to run this software and start being the cloud, this is on the development team to make sure of it.
coin@coin
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 05:49:24 PM
Last edit: September 05, 2017, 08:13:23 AM by coin@coin

Once I tried to run Storj share on my home computer but even after doing everything by the books I never got any offers after a week, recently

I installed the Storj share software on a vps and surprisingly not only I encountered any errors but immediately I got more than 100 peers and now

I'm at 400+ offers received. however with opening and forwarding all the ports, when I selected the port 4000 as a default strangely my connection

Shows another port with an orange color and it says tunnel. I need to read your guides to resolve that but why is it when I install any crypto wallet

I could just allow the wallet in my firewall and have as many connections both ways without any problem but when it comes to cryptos like Storj I'm

Having trouble, I believe with a Bitcoin wallet installed I am downloading and uploading files from more than 6 peers, so where is the catch it's not

That easy with Storj share? even though my brother told me this and other coins like it are all a big scam but I needed to verify for myself.

If this is supposed to work in such a way that every person with spare hard drive could rent their hard drives in order to achieve a true decentralized

Network it should also be as easy as a few clicks to run this software and start being the cloud, this is on the development team to make sure of it.

You can find a detailed guide with troubleshooting info here: https://docs.storj.io.

It helped me a lot. Ideally give a read to it all, otherwise you can skip to the relevant bits.
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 11:35:34 PM

This is a new kind of technology and it needs at least 10 years of development before it's fully functional, it is also difficult for me to digest any need for decentralized cloud storage these days, especially with differences of prices and costs of having internet connection and any computer in different countries, this idea brings nothing to the advantage of individuals trying to keep a system decentralized. people will never be able to compete with the big cloud storage providers because they will always offer cheaper services.

Let me explain why your assumptions are incorrect.

1. First off decentralized Storage is way cheaper than traditional storage, this because farmers already have their computers turned ON, they already paid for the hardware and electricity.
2. One of the biggest limits both on a architectural level and on a price level is bandwidth, datacenters have a limited bandwidth pipe and have to pay allot of money for this bandwidth, while farmers already paid for this bandwidth so there is no extra cost there.
3. Files are encrypted and split into shards, which are uploaded to different hosts on the network. This is called distributed data storage, what are the advantages?, well for one its very hard for a malicious person to retrieve and decrypt the file, secondly, it allows one to sum the bandwidth pipe of all the farmers that hold the shard, which can be staggering (imagine 100x gigabit farmers holding a shard).
4. Decentralized storage will always be able to outcompete centralized storage providers.

I've been trading STORJ for 2.5 years and it's roughly doubled in terms of BTC in 30 months...
That is an awful performance regardless of "theoretical" shilling why any CTO would risk job to chose p2p over Amazon, Dropbox, etc...
So you are definitely not "outcompeting" anyone probably for very good reasons that no one will talk about.

Except this very smart guy who documented his experience= "Storj Not Dropbox Killer"... what fun.

https://shitcoin.com/storj-not-a-dropbox-killer-1a9f27983d70
s@t0sh!

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

Anryze - Distributed Speech Recognition

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2017, 06:57:15 AM

I just had an idea where Storj can be really useful. Currently I store many of my personal details on password protected PDFs and word files on Google Drive. I hope that is secure, but it is still technically possible for someone to hack and get my information, as it's stored centrally.

What SiaCoin, Storj etc. are doing is they make it technically impossible to access the files as the files are encrypted, split up into shards and distributed across the network and there is no way to get the original file other than having the private key to do so. So, private and secure storage could be a huge application for Decentralised storage!

TokenPay    ⓣ     ||     THE WORLD'S MOST SECURE COIN     ||
TOKEN SALE  >  December 7th, 2017   [WHITEPAPER]
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬       FACEBOOK       TWITTER       TELEGRAM       ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Meije

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 11:26:17 AM

This is a new kind of technology and it needs at least 10 years of development before it's fully functional, it is also difficult for me to digest any need for decentralized cloud storage these days, especially with differences of prices and costs of having internet connection and any computer in different countries, this idea brings nothing to the advantage of individuals trying to keep a system decentralized. people will never be able to compete with the big cloud storage providers because they will always offer cheaper services.

1. First off decentralized Storage is way cheaper than traditional storage, this because farmers already have their computers turned ON, they already paid for the hardware and electricity.
2. One of the biggest limits both on a architectural level and on a price level is bandwidth, datacenters have a limited bandwidth pipe and have to pay allot of money for this bandwidth, while farmers already paid for this bandwidth so there is no extra cost there.
3. Files are encrypted and split into shards, which are uploaded to different hosts on the network. This is called distributed data storage, what are the advantages?, well for one its very hard for a malicious person to retrieve and decrypt the file, secondly, it allows one to sum the bandwidth pipe of all the farmers that hold the shard, which can be staggering (imagine 100x gigabit farmers holding a shard).
4. Decentralized storage will always be able to outcompete centralized storage providers.

I've been trading STORJ for 2.5 years and it's roughly doubled in terms of BTC in 30 months...
That is an awful performance regardless of "theoretical" shilling why any CTO would risk job to chose p2p over Amazon, Dropbox, etc...
So you are definitely not "outcompeting" anyone probably for very good reasons that no one will talk about.

Except this very smart guy who documented his experience= "Storj Not Dropbox Killer"... what fun.

`Except this very smart guy`, well he is not a very smart guy, because if he was he would (1) ask for help and not jump straight to conclusions, and (2) He would know that running a bridge without any knowledge or infrastructure is never going to work. Just because you have been trading the Storj token for almost 3 years means nothing, where are you helping to test the network and push the technology forwarard?, right, just thinking about your own profits and expect others to do the work.
Meije

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 11:29:13 AM

Next time do some proper research before taking other people's stuff and just throwing it at our (community's) faces as if it were facts.
elcharle

Activity: 60

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 03:52:45 PM

the Filecoin ICO raised a record-setting $257 million.Token price reached about $6.00.   

Sia price:$0.006037
Market Cap: $176,459,493

Storj price: $0.568969
Market Cap:$54,951,617

Sia and Storj undervalued or Filecoin way Overvalued?

wwzsocki
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1706

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2017, 06:23:53 PM

It seems to me like there is no adoption or need for this kind of storage. I don't think that normal computer user will ever use Storj because there is some work involved and computer knowledge. Google Drive and others are widely used because of how easy it is and they have done all what is possible to be super user friendly with all add ons, one click file sending and other innovations. That is what people like and need. If this goes about price and that Storj is cheaper I am not so sure too. To be successful mass adoption of Storj is needed from both users and network supporters. Storj have to be cheap for users and pay off for supporters work. I use Google Drive few years have plenty of files and never paid a cent. Sorry to say that but I see hard times coming with concurrents like Sia and Filecoin.

coin@coin
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 07:56:28 PM

You may have missed this so I post it here as it's an interesting recent interview with Shawn Wilkinson of Storj on Bittopia:

https://youtu.be/hPB88vW2O-4

elcharle

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 01:08:14 AM

U got to start thinking out the box body. Professional investors like Sequoia Capital, Andreessen Horowitz and Union Square Ventures put $52 million into filecoin's ICO. What do u get from that?

elcharle

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 01:22:48 AM

Just wait for Netflix to find out they can reduce store costs 3 times by using decentralize store solutions like Storj. Jaja

TOYJJWGS

Activity: 220

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 01:30:33 AM

Recently did not find storj too much update, silence for a long time has not been outbreak, hope to be updated version with better technology, so that people hold more confidence, I will always be concerned about
coin@coin
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 10:34:20 AM

Just wait for Netflix to find out they can reduce store costs 3 times by using decentralize store solutions like Storj. Jaja

That would be awesome! Can't wait for the day some major corporate starts using Storj! Smiley
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 05:37:04 PM

`Except this very smart guy`, well he is not a very smart guy, because if he was he would (1) ask for help and not jump straight to conclusions, and (2) He would know that running a bridge without any knowledge or infrastructure is never going to work. Just because you have been trading the Storj token for almost 3 years means nothing, where are you helping to test the network and push the technology forwarard?, right, just thinking about your own profits and expect others to do the work.

Well, in one week since my post STORJ is down another 25% or roughly $10 million...
So capital is flowing OUT and into other projects that investors feel have a brighter future.

"just because you have been trading the Storj token for almost 3 years means nothing"

You obviously do not understand the important role of capital markets re: price discovery and liquidity...
Which facilitates the transfer of capital from broken companies to well run companies...
Especially in light of the way Storj has abused these markets and produced very little of value for anyone.
Meije

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 02:02:12 PM

Well, in one week since my post STORJ is down another 25% or roughly $10 million...
So capital is flowing OUT and into other projects that investors feel have a brighter future.

"just because you have been trading the Storj token for almost 3 years means nothing"

You obviously do not understand the important role of capital markets re: price discovery and liquidity...
Which facilitates the transfer of capital from broken companies to well run companies...
Especially in light of the way Storj has abused these markets and produced very little of value for anyone.

"So capital is flowing OUT and into other projects that investors feel have a brighter future.", they are not investors, investors invest in the company by buying stock, the company then uses this raised money to make a better product. All these opportunist token buyers are doing is waiting for a token to rise in value and then sell, they don't invest into anything. Storj token is a use token to buy storage, these people don't use the token for that. I honestly couldn't care less if these token buyers run away, i will actually sleep better knowing that the current token holders are here to help further the use of the token and help develop the network.

"Especially in light of the way Storj has abused these markets and produced very little of value for anyone.", we have a working network, although far from perfect, its more than most of the top 50 marketcap tokens have, market kap says nothing about the actual value of the product/service, nothing. If you think it does, you are living in a dream world.
TheOneTrueNegus

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 08:26:51 PM

For anyone interested there is a Storj android client. Not official but works. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.intellidev.storj
Financisto

Activity: 630
Merit: 767

BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2017, 09:02:06 AM

the Filecoin ICO raised a record-setting $257 million.Token price reached about $6.00.   

Sia price:$0.006037
Market Cap: $176,459,493

Storj price: $0.568969
Market Cap:$54,951,617

Sia and Storj undervalued or Filecoin way Overvalued?

Just wait (and you'll see) for the traditional (post-ICO) dump of coins once their (Filecoin) crypto token is out and allowed for trading...

BitcoinTalk's ESCROW Providers: Ranking & BlacklistCompilation of (open-source) BRAINWALLET projectsBTC ⇆⚡⇄ BTCBTC aka BTC: 16MBvhaJoRBxW3Vk6apnvz3UYT9HAgraVS ⚡ PGP: 2680207AA9A1B69FE7A033D80DE0F221074384C4 ⚡ If you think freedom matters, please support the development of these privacy projects→DONATE some sats: TailsQubes OSWhonixVeraCryptPicocryptKryptorSimpleX Chat
freebutcaged

Activity: 588
Merit: 541

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 12:28:23 AM

I have more than 7000 offers but people only stored 40GB on my drive after 4 days of connection with 180 peers, I have a port with 1gbps but the

Client seems to work so slow. what happens if I shut down my system with that 40GB stored on my drive and never come back online? if the data is

Not lost and anyone stored some data with me will have their data safe on other drives seems like there are a lot of space being wasted just like the

Way Bitcoin mining works, miners compete for a block but only one miner gets the block. now for me it's a small space but what happens when this

System grows big, talking about 1 million TB, with that kind of storage space can we really store 6 million TB as data shards to make sure all the data

Is accessible without any down time?
coin@coin
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 01:53:29 AM

I have more than 7000 offers but people only stored 40GB on my drive after 4 days of connection with 180 peers, I have a port with 1gbps but the

Client seems to work so slow. what happens if I shut down my system with that 40GB stored on my drive and never come back online? if the data is

Not lost and anyone stored some data with me will have their data safe on other drives seems like there are a lot of space being wasted just like the

Way Bitcoin mining works, miners compete for a block but only one miner gets the block. now for me it's a small space but what happens when this

System grows big, talking about 1 million TB, with that kind of storage space can we really store 6 million TB as data shards to make sure all the data

Is accessible without any down time?

If your node goes down the data will get replicated on other nodes. There isn't only once copy of the data there are multiple.
So doesn't matter if your node goes down someone else will have the pieces you store on other nodes.
Pages: « 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 »
  Print  

Jump to: