Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 08:16:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 118 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Storj - Decentralized Storage  (Read 389681 times)
mthompson362

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 06:36:04 AM

Would be nice to know when you are going to roll out everything. As I see it right now there is no reason to anyone to buy Storjx token for a while and w/o any buy pressure the token price is going to tank a lot for a while

They plan to hold future crowd sale with the remaining STORJX they have left.

just like maidsafe it's all corporate greedy bastards taking the tiny bits from people.
Far from it, actually. Our project has had a lot of costs up until this point, such as marketing, full-time and part-time salaries for team members, and the cost of travelling across the country to different conferences to help spread Storj. Up until the crowdsale, all of our costs were paid out of pocket and for those who are doing Storj full-time, that is not sustainable living. Also, we have had no money given to us by VCs either. The crowdsale (and potential future ones) are the only thing that will be able to keep Storj going, project-wise and team-wise.

Would be nice to know when you are going to roll out everything. As I see it right now there is no reason to anyone to buy Storjx token for a while and w/o any buy pressure the token price is going to tank a lot for a while
As you may know, Metadisk is in open beta and can be tried out at node1.metadisk.org. As for DriveShare, the libraries for it are about ~75% if the way complete. So while there is not a hard date for DriveShare, expect a prototype to be released soon. You can follow our daily progress at github.com/storj.
MsCollec
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 06:47:25 AM

just like maidsafe it's all corporate greedy bastards taking the tiny bits from people.
Far from it, actually. Our project has had a lot of costs up until this point, such as marketing, full-time and part-time salaries for team members, and the cost of travelling across the country to different conferences to help spread Storj. Up until the crowdsale, all of our costs were paid out of pocket and for those who are doing Storj full-time, that is not sustainable living. Also, we have had no money given to us by VCs either. The crowdsale (and potential future ones) are the only thing that will be able to keep Storj going, project-wise and team-wise.

I find it hard that you cant get listed on Bittrex, Mintpal? Even this thread shows lack of excitement among investors with the page count Undecided

Very soon the price will be falling as people take their losses and move on to the next one.
mthompson362

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 06:52:09 AM
Last edit: August 20, 2014, 07:05:22 AM by mthompson362

I find it hard that you cant get listed on Bittrex, Mintpal? Even this thread shows lack of excitement among investors with the page count Undecided

Very soon the price will be falling as people take their losses and move on to the next one.
SJCX will find its use and therefore real world value once DriveShare is released. For anyone who has not read this post on our blog yet: http://blog.storj.io/post/89462873953/why-storjcoin-x-will-have-value
mthompson362

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 07:02:02 AM

SJCX will find its use and therefore real world value once DriveShare is released.

Please DO NOT change the announced plans in regard to how we proceed (especially in relation to Driveshare) due to IRRELEVANT posts on bitcointalk.
Nothing is being changed. Anybody who contributed to the crowdsale should have realized that DriveShare is SJCX's first implementation for use.
Crypto_Enthusiast

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 07:11:52 AM

Devs,

When looking to crowd fund STORJ, it was made clear that one of the major benefits of being an early adopter would be that we would get early access to farming.

However, now you decide to change your tone and instead advise that the largest investors will get access first. This was never mentioned prior to the crowdsale closing.

You also advised that farming would be available to crowd funders 'shortly after crowddundiung closes', and again, you change your tone to advise it's 75% complete.

I am very disappointed & somewhat angry for being mislead, you sold it as a product that would essentially allow early adopters to farm early with no mention of favouritism for larger investors.

As a result, STORJ is now trading for well below ICO on exchanges so not only have we been mislead - but also we have lost out financially.

This type of behaviour is very disappointing, people do not like & will not forget being lied to.

/Rant.
mthompson362

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 07:19:28 AM

Devs,

When looking to crowd fund STORJ, it was made clear that one of the major benefits of being an early adopter would be that we would get early access to farming.

However, now you decide to change your tone and instead advise that the largest investors will get access first. This was never mentioned prior to the crowdsale closing.

You also advised that farming would be available to crowd funders 'shortly after crowddundiung closes', and again, you change your tone to advise it's 75% complete.

I am very disappointed & somewhat angry for being mislead, you sold it as a product that would essentially allow early adopters to farm early with no mention of favouritism for larger investors.

As a result, STORJ is now trading for well below ICO on exchanges so not only have we been mislead - but also we have lost out financially.

This type of behaviour is very disappointing, people do not like & will not forget being lied to.

/Rant.
There was never any mention that the largest contributors would get early access first. Anybody who said this is not spreading the truth. Ability to farm will go in order of time of their contribution was sent, regardless of if they were a large or small contributor.  

As for the shortly after the crowdsale close, we have been diligently working on DriveShare. We refrained from saying 'immediately after' because there was no guarantee of when exactly it would be done. While we may have varying ideas of what 'shortly after' really means, it very readily will be coming out soon - we are working on it as hard as we can. You can follow our progress here github.com/storj.
Crypto_Enthusiast

Activity: 476

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 07:31:55 AM

Devs,

/Rant.
There was never any mention that the largest contributors would get early access first. Anybody who said this is not spreading the truth. Ability to farm will go in order of time of their contribution was sent, regardless of if they were a large or small contributor.  

As for the shortly after the crowdsale close, we have been diligently working on DriveShare. We refrained from saying 'immediately after' because there was no guarantee of when exactly it would be done. While we may have varying ideas of what 'shortly after' really means, it very readily will be coming out soon - we are working on it as hard as we can. You can follow our progress here github.com/storj.

Well, to be fair - 'In order of crowdsale contribution' can mean either by date or volume. Easily misunderstood.

Again, this was not mentioned before I paid.

J9901

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 07:39:54 AM

I think everyone needs to just be patient at this point. imo i believe driveshare prototype will be ready in about a week give or take a few days. Yes, a very small amount of people are selling off at a loss and that's their prerogative. Not everyone is in this to make a quick buck, some are real investors who believe that if this technology works, it will absolutely explode. OR maybe they need the BTC and hop on to another very short term investment? Looking at Poloniex SJCX/BTC, and seeing people selling at a loss is not concerning. If you pay attention, the sell offs are very low volume. These may just be people who expected for quick profit immediately after release, but since that didnt happen, they're selling and they have every right to do so. All im saying is, once even just the prototype of Driveshare is complete and works, it's basically a done deal. The technology will be proven. From there it will be all about fine-tuning the product and continue to improve it in time.

Storj's potential is way too great to treat like just another 'ordinary' coin.

Decentralized Cloud Storage.
mthompson362

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 07:46:45 AM

I think everyone needs to just be patient at this point. imo i believe driveshare prototype will be ready in about a week give or take a few days. Yes, a very small amount of people are selling off at a loss and that's their prerogative. Not everyone is in this to make a quick buck, some are real investors who believe that if this technology works, it will absolutely explode. Looking at Poloniex SJCX/BTC, and seeing people selling at a loss is not concerning. If you pay attention, the sell offs are very low volume. These may just be people expecting for quick profit soon after release and they have every right to do so. All im saying is, once even just the prototype of Driveshare is complete and works, it's basically a done deal. The technology will be proven. From there it will be all about fine-tuning the product and continue to improve it in time.

Storj's potential is way too great to treat like just another 'ordinary' coin.

Decentralized Cloud Storage.
Thank you for the words of support for our project! While the crowdsale was going on, we wanted to make it very clear that we were not guaranteeing any sort of profit out of contributing to the crowdsale nor should contributors expect one immediately after the crowdsale ended. We apologize to anyone that we did not make this clear to and expected to make a quick profit the first day SJCX was available for trading. The network will be growing steadily as we make gradual changes and as the userbase grows. Your reply is really what message we have been trying to get across; we appreciate it. Smiley
williamj2543

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 07:51:37 AM

Very true, as soon as your driveshare is released the popularity will come rolling in. I seriously would use this driveshare thing, its revolutionary, I can't believe someone hadn't thought of it before. Would we get paid more or less based on the speed of out drives? And ssd vs hdd?

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
newuser01

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 07:55:16 AM

So how does one farm/mine this?

Is the mining software closed source?
mthompson362

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 08:00:17 AM

Very true, as soon as your driveshare is released the popularity will come rolling in. I seriously would use this driveshare thing, its revolutionary, I can't believe someone hadn't thought of it before. Would we get paid more or less based on the speed of out drives? And ssd vs hdd?
The two cost factors for someone getting paid in SJCX and someone renting hard drive space is space and bandwidth. Storing more data and having a faster bandwidth for file transfer/access will make how much SJCX you get paid increase.

DriveShare is an application of ours that will be released in the near future. It allows users to rent out their excess hard drive space (i.e. space on their drives that they are not using) to the Storj network that other users will be able to store their own files on through Metadisk. How much SJCX you get paid for this farming is directly related to amount of data stored and bandwidth provided.

Also, we are completely open source and will remain that way. You can find our code here as well as see our progress: github.com/storj
mthompson362

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 08:03:39 AM

Well, to be fair - 'In order of crowdsale contribution' can mean either by date or volume. Easily misunderstood.

Apologies for the confusion. To make it clear to you and to everyone else, those able to try out DriveShare will be go in order of when they contributed as opposed to how much they sent in.
super3 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 08:06:58 AM

Can I be straight with you? I'm not angry or anything, I just want to be direct.

We made it clear in our terms that this is not an investment. We are developing software, and will continue to do so. We are not responsible for those who decide this is a fun time to pump an dump. With a 1 BTC order depth I'd hardly call that a loss. I could double the price right now and it would still be just as meaningless.

Mislead? It seems as if you didn't read the terms attached to the crowdsale page which addressed many of your points.

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
newuser01

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 08:10:38 AM

The two cost factors for someone getting paid in SJCX and someone renting hard drive space is space and bandwidth. Storing more data and having a faster bandwidth for file transfer/access will make how much SJCX you get paid increase.

DriveShare is an application of ours that will be released in the near future. It allows users to rent out their excess hard drive space (i.e. space on their drives that they are not using) to the Storj network that other users will be able to store their own files on through Metadisk. How much SJCX you get paid for this farming is directly related to amount of data stored and bandwidth provided.

Also, we are completely open source and will remain that way. You can find our code here as well as see our progress: github.com/storj

thanks

I'm looking forward to renting out hard drive space.
profitofthegods

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 08:14:30 AM

Not sure if this has already been raised, but is Storj getting added to coinmarketcap.com? It would be great to see it there - personally I like to use that site to get a quick overview of the coins I own first thing in the morning, and of course it may also help more people to discover Storj.
super3 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 08:24:49 AM

Not sure if this has already been raised, but is Storj getting added to coinmarketcap.com? It would be great to see it there - personally I like to use that site to get a quick overview of the coins I own first thing in the morning, and of course it may also help more people to discover Storj.
Yeah I think we just have to ask in CMC topic, and provide an API of sorts. Little iffy because we have create and shuffle the coins leftover from the crowdsale to the correct addresses so we can lock the asset, which of course affects available supply. I've heard some feedback from users who are concerned with the devs holding a ton of coins. I actually agree with this, and trying to figure out with the counterparty guys how to do timelock transactions like in Bitcoin, so the coins can't be accessed until a certain date.

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
mthompson362

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2014, 08:26:54 AM

Was actually going to see about contacting them earlier today. You made me remember that they had a BitcoinTalk thread so I just shot Gliss a reply.
-Greed-

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Decentralized Jihad

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 09:00:33 AM

Can I be straight with you? I'm not angry or anything, I just want to be direct.
You can be absolutely straight with ME.

We made it clear in our terms that this is not an investment.
Then what is it? Every man that gave you money did it with the only reason - is to get profit, otherwise it's just donation. It wasn't meant to be donation.

I could double the price right now and it would still be just as meaningless.
Oh, sure you could... with OUR money.

Mislead? It seems as if you didn't read the terms attached to the crowdsale page which addressed many of your points.
Here's your lovely terms: http://storj.io/CrowdsaleTerms.pdf

The goal of the Storj team is to raise up to 9,800 BTC (or ~$6,000,000 at current exchange rates). This revenue will be allocated in the following categories:
- Reimbursement of prior expenses
- Salaries for full time contributors and payments to freelancers
- Further development of Metadisk, our web application software
- Development of DriveMiner, our storage and bandwidth renting software
- Research and development for the protocol, applications, and blockchain technologies
- Marketing, advertising, media, and articles
- Community Funding
- Legal counsel

Did you pay Bittrex to bring SJCX to the exchange? No (you even couldn't update the topic about adding it to polo so more people could buy it).
Did you start twitter/facebook campaign? No (didn't even try).
Did you do SOMETHING to bring profit people who invested in your business and supported it? No (instead of it you are coming here and like saying us "I'm the boss and I don't a shit").

You just gave money and don't give a flying fuck about them anymore. Sad, but true.

TL;DR: I don't hate the dev and I don't regret about my "investment". I want devs to do what they supposed to do.

mig5000

Activity: 324

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 09:48:44 AM

Apologies for the confusion. To make it clear to you and to everyone else, those able to try out DriveShare will be go in order of when they contributed as opposed to how much they sent in.

so gross. Had I known about this one I would never had sent the amount I did. Is there any way to get a refund out of this mess.

I liked the idea of farming this thing and saw potential but really giving the same benefits to someone who contributed 2$ to someone who contributed 2000$ is just fucking dumb. Had I known that before I would have sent 1$ very early and bought 2k of hardware instead. I really really feel abused here.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 118 »
  Print  

Jump to: