Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:51:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 [1033] 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667226 times)
newb4now

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 01:18:45 AM

Pretty sure poloniex is working on getting their mixin to 3.

They almost had it working, but reverted for now, im not sure why, but there were a few angryish posts about having to pay higher fees .. maybe that's why they went back?

I'm sure they'll get it working, they're pretty on top of things.

The issue with poloniex is somewhat structural. They get a huge number of small deposits from miners who mine directly to the exchange with frequent small payouts. When they try to use these outputs to pay withdrawals the transactions become huge and thus the fees large.

To fix this they may need to institute a minimum deposit or per-deposit fee (can be waived for deposits above some threshold) or some other way to crack down on miners (especially pools) doing this. Otherwise the cost of people making a lot of very small deposits gets shifted to the exchange itself and/or those making withdrawals.

I like the minimum deposit idea.

Miners should send XMR to their own wallets first and not mine directly to Poloniex.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nachoig

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 01:32:37 AM

They almost had it working, but reverted for now, im not sure why, but there were a few angryish posts about having to pay higher fees .. maybe that's why they went back?

The issue with poloniex is somewhat structural. They get a huge number of small deposits from miners who mine directly to the exchange with frequent small payouts. When they try to use these outputs to pay withdrawals the transactions become huge and thus the fees large.

To fix this they may need to institute a minimum deposit or per-deposit fee (can be waived for deposits above some threshold) or some other way to crack down on miners (especially pools) doing this. Otherwise the cost of people making a lot of very small deposits gets shifted to the exchange itself and/or those making withdrawals.

WTF?Huh I can't believe in this, are the miners putting as the mining address an address which belongs to an exchange insteaad of using their own addresses?Huh
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4894

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 01:35:52 AM

To fix this they may need to institute a minimum deposit or per-deposit fee (can be waived for deposits above some threshold) or some other way to crack down on miners (especially pools Botnets) doing this. Otherwise the cost of people making a lot of very small deposits gets shifted to the exchange itself and/or those making withdrawals.

FTFY Cheesy

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 01:42:57 AM

To fix this they may need to institute a minimum deposit or per-deposit fee (can be waived for deposits above some threshold) or some other way to crack down on miners (especially pools Botnets) doing this. Otherwise the cost of people making a lot of very small deposits gets shifted to the exchange itself and/or those making withdrawals.

FTFY Cheesy

No its mostly pools (not solo mining) and its more likely small miners on pools than large ones, though that could certainly include small botnets. A big botnet would get fairly large payouts on most pools, and solo mining deposits or a big botnet on a private pool would be large too
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 01:43:36 AM

WTF?Huh I can't believe in this, are the miners putting as the mining address an address which belongs to an exchange insteaad of using their own addresses?Huh

Some pools have a specific feature that lets you specify a payment ID. There is no other purpose for that.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 01:50:37 AM

FTFY Cheesy

No its mostly pools (not solo mining) and its more likely small miners on pools than large ones, though that could certainly include small botnets. A big botnet would get fairly large payouts on most pools, and solo mining deposits or a big botnet on a private pool would be large too

I found your

Tongue

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:42:24 AM

Two broader thoughts that have come up in discussions elsewhere.

1.) Luke-Jr stated the other day that he foresees ring signature functionality being implemented into Bitcoin in 2-3 years. My response was that even if that actually happens, it wouldn't have a mandatory mix-in level, limiting the anonymity capabilities that Bitcoin could offer with it. However, I've heard others state that you actually wouldn't need a mandatory mix-in level for it to impart "good enough" anonymity for it to kill interest in anything else. Regardless of whether this is true or not, it does sound like something that could steal some remaining thunder from the anonymity-niche coins, given that Bitcoin already has a huge market share.

2.) I've had discussions recently with Bitcoin maximalists who claim that anything built on an altchain cannot succeed, because Bitcoin's blockchain will remain by far the longest chain, and any other altcoin based on a PoW altchain that *ever* begins to compete with Bitcoin for market share will cause interested parties to attack it with the magnitudes of greater resources that are behind the Bitcoin network. My thought on this was that given that Monero uses a different hashing algorithm than Bitcoin, the resources behind Bitcoin couldn't be redirected at Monero in any direct sense (especially if the predominant resources behind Bitcoin are ASICs). Now, that isn't to say that there couldn't *still* be enough incentive involved, if Monero ever became more popular, for Bitcoin supporters to attack Monero by devoting fresh resources/energy to attack it. Thoughts?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:45:31 AM

1.) Luke-Jr stated the other day that he foresees ring signature functionality being implemented into Bitcoin in 2-3 years. My response was that even if that actually happens, it wouldn't have a mandatory mix-in level, limiting the anonymity capabilities that Bitcoin could offer with it. However, I've heard others state that you actually wouldn't need a mandatory mix-in level for it to impart "good enough" anonymity for it to kill interest in anything else. Regardless of whether this is true or not, it does sound like something that could steal some remaining thunder from the anonymity-niche coins, given that Bitcoin already has a huge market share.

2.) I've had discussions recently with Bitcoin maximalists who claim that anything built on an altchain cannot succeed, because Bitcoin's blockchain will remain by far the longest chain, and any other altcoin based on a PoW altchain that *ever* begins to compete with Bitcoin for market share will cause interested parties to attack it with the magnitudes of greater resources that are behind the Bitcoin network. My thought on this was that given that Monero uses a different hashing algorithm than Bitcoin, the resources behind Bitcoin couldn't be redirected at Monero in any direct sense (especially if the predominant resources behind Bitcoin are ASICs). Now, that isn't to say that there couldn't *still* be enough incentive involved if Monero ever became more popular for Bitcoin supporters to attack Monero by devoting fresh resources/energy to attack it. Thoughts?

Sounds like a lot of ill-thought-out nonsense to me.

I'm definitely going to bet against ring signatures in Bitcoin in 2-3 years if someone offers that bet. How long has it taken (so far) to discuss possibly increasing the block size?

People who mostly know about Bitcoin are generally ignorant about other coins (though this doesn't always stop them from commenting about them). I don't entirely fault them for being ignorant though; there are so many other coins and they are so much smaller than Bitcoin, as a Bitcoiner it probably doesn't rationally make sense to study them unless you have some particular personal interest. I do fault them for speaking out of ignorance though. Learn a little or stfu imo.
Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:46:08 AM

Where can I find his statement on ring signatures?

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:48:07 AM

Luke-Jr is an outsider with extreme opinions and has not much following inside the BTC community.
He is also an Bitcoin maximalists or as other people call that: "One World Order"-Bitcoiner.

Point II is not worth discussing.
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:49:12 AM

Where can I find his statement on ring signatures?

It was on Facebook. Try this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/MiamiInternationalBitcoin/permalink/424626854358806/?comment_id=424969107657914&offset=50&total_comments=106
dewdeded
Legendary

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 11:00:06 AM

Can we have something like: https://wiki.anoncoin.net/Development_schedule?
jehst

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 11:01:47 AM

There's a design and development goals infographic.
https://getmonero.org/design-goals/

That will at least give you the sequence of what will be worked on before what.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
dewdeded
Legendary

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 11:07:50 AM

Thank you jehst.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2015, 02:06:04 PM
Last edit: March 08, 2015, 02:24:34 PM by GingerAle

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the code or cryptography, but my thoughts on this are always related to network consensus (and this was mentioned somewhere else in the threads). There's enough fanfare currently over increasing blocksize - I can't imagine the hurdle faced if the network wants to switch to a core that introduced privacy. I've seen a couple shocking posts by "legendary" members that are essentially "we don't need a private blockchain".

2.) I've had discussions recently with Bitcoin maximalists who claim that anything built on an altchain cannot succeed, because Bitcoin's blockchain will remain by far the longest chain, and any other altcoin based on a PoW altchain that *ever* begins to compete with Bitcoin for market share will cause interested parties to attack it with the magnitudes of greater resources that are behind the Bitcoin network. My thought on this was that given that Monero uses a different hashing algorithm than Bitcoin, the resources behind Bitcoin couldn't be redirected at Monero in any direct sense (especially if the predominant resources behind Bitcoin are ASICs). Now, that isn't to say that there couldn't *still* be enough incentive involved, if Monero ever became more popular, for Bitcoin supporters to attack Monero by devoting fresh resources/energy to attack it. Thoughts?

Regarding the possibilities that bitcoin network operators would attack the monero network by investing resources in either 1) server farms or 2) GPU farms or 3) ASIC development with the explicit purpose of network destabilization: this would require a lot of resources, assuming that at this point monero has grown to the point that it "threatens" the bitcoin network "market share". This would probably require much coordination of the bitcoin network operators.

if it comes to this, IMO, bitcoin has already lost the war in the fight for a decentralized value transfer system. If the above scenario comes to pass, it means that all that bitcoin has done is transfer the power from one set of entrenched elites to another set of entrenched elites. (May the people be always in their good favor.), and the bitcoin network will continue to have to play whackamole.

but enough of this future speak. we're in the now. be here now.  

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 02:39:17 PM

By that time a large percentage of BTC holders will have moved into XMR (or another cryptonote) and BTC will be delegated to GOV control and support and regulation (filling it's own niche role that will not change for any foreseeable future). Those that were stupid (or stubborn) enough to still be heavily in BTC will not have the resources to make a meaningful attack even if they wanted to.

It is not like Privacy is a BTC killer, it will just take a portion of the market.

GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2015, 03:10:42 PM

Regarding the possibilities that bitcoin network operators would attack the monero network by investing resources in either 1) server farms or 2) GPU farms or 3) ASIC development with the explicit purpose of network destabilization: this would require a lot of resources, assuming that at this point monero has grown to the point that it "threatens" the bitcoin network "market share". This would probably require much coordination of the bitcoin network operators.

If they have such great resources, wouldn't it be much more strategic and intelligent to put a percentage of their wealth into purchasing the currency so that if it came to dominate they would be in the same standing? There is a scenario where they have "pissed away" the resources in either case, but the attack scenario is a lot more complicated and carries many more risks than simply investing.

guess it depends on how much they hodl. Smiley

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
thelibertycap

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 03:22:59 PM

1.) Luke-Jr stated the other day that he foresees ring signature functionality being implemented into Bitcoin in 2-3 years.

ROTFL

i would rather trust my cat with bitcoin predictions

it is certainly not going to happen in 2-3 years and probably ever - no matter how strong vision some random guy on the internet had in his dream
dewdeded
Legendary

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 03:32:57 PM

Hehehe. Great posting, thelibertycap. Nice wording.
GTO911

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 03:53:01 PM

We need to really chalk out a funding plan. Donations are not going to keep the ship sailing
Pages: « 1 ... 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 [1033] 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: