Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:07:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667034 times)
hedgy73
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 09:28:38 PM

This coin is very difficult to set up wallet and start mining unless you are a programmer or hacker Grin

Been trying for a few hours now to get my head around this and I think I'll have to give it a miss until a normal wallet and pools are setup unfortunately.

Well that's just too bad. There are so many people who have reported the exact opposite (thousands based on the hashrate!), so I'm very sorry to hear that you've run into troubles.

I'm not a programmer nor a hacker, but I will be here for the next 10-12 hours, and am willing to help you with whatever troubles you may have run into as I've not had them Wink

If I can't get it done, there are others here who can help you!

Thanks very much for your offer. I seem to be mining but on my i7 quad core I'm probably wasting my time even though I like a challenge.

My mining hashrate seems to be 11.xxx using 4 cores is it worth mining with that?

P.S. I love this coin and the difficulty with mining it really interests me Smiley

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 09:31:29 PM

This coin is very difficult to set up wallet and start mining unless you are a programmer or hacker Grin

Been trying for a few hours now to get my head around this and I think I'll have to give it a miss until a normal wallet and pools are setup unfortunately.

Well that's just too bad. There are so many people who have reported the exact opposite (thousands based on the hashrate!), so I'm very sorry to hear that you've run into troubles.

I'm not a programmer nor a hacker, but I will be here for the next 10-12 hours, and am willing to help you with whatever troubles you may have run into as I've not had them Wink

Thanks very much for your offer. I seem to be mining but on my i7 quad core I'm probably wasting my time even though I like a challenge.

My mining hashrate seems to be 11.xxx using 4 cores is it worth mining with that?

P.S. I love this coin and the difficulty with mining it really interests me Smiley

You are not wasting your time, you have the same chance to get a block as anyone else, and you are contributing to run the network the same as anyone else. Someone with 100 computers has 100 times the hash rate but they spent 100 times as much to buy computers and they are spending 100 times as much on electricity.

You might try bumping up the cores. Does that processor have hyperthreads? Some have reported good results and still having a usable computer with 6 or 7 threads.

hedgy73
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 09:48:36 PM

You are not wasting your time, you have the same chance to get a block as anyone else, and you are contributing to run the network the same as anyone else. Someone with 100 computers has 100 times the hash rate but they spent 100 times as much to buy computers and they are spending 100 times as much on electricity.

You might try bumping up the cores. Does that processor have hyperthreads? Some have reported good results and still having a usable computer with 6 or 7 threads.

Thanks for your reply I really appreciate it.

I have changed mining from 4 threads to 6 and hashrate has only increased from 11 to 12 but cpu usage and temperature has increased significantly but still within safe parameters.

I'll leave this pc mining but try with my other pc tomorrow which has an amd phenom black quad core which seems to have better cpu mining power than this i7.

EDIT: Hashrate is now upto 15!
hedgy73
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 09:52:47 PM

Can anyone please tell me how to check wallet balance or if a block has been found?
surfer43

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

"Trading Platform of The Future!"

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 09:55:07 PM

Can anyone please tell me how to check wallet balance or if a block has been found?
It will tell you in bitmonerod if you have found a block. Type "refresh" into simplewallet to check your balance.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 09:55:41 PM

If you have the wallet open in a window, type refresh. If you find a block you will usually get about 17 MRO but will sometimes be less due to the antispam penalty rules.

In the daemon window you will see "Found block" if you find a block, but since there are lots of messages that come up there it can scroll off. You can also check the log file bitmonerod.log

hedgy73
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 10:09:16 PM

If you have the wallet open in a window, type refresh. If you find a block you will usually get about 17 MRO but will sometimes be less due to the antispam penalty rules.

In the daemon window you will see "Found block" if you find a block, but since there are lots of messages that come up there it can scroll off. You can also check the log file bitmonerod.log

Thanks I've just done refresh and balance is still 0 so will keep mining Smiley
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 10:12:19 PM

I strongly recommend not checking your balance frequently when mining with one PC. It will just drive you crazy with discouragement. You should expect to get one block a week or so. Just ignore it and let it do its thing, check back every few days. You might want to back down the threads if it makes more annoying fan noise at full power.

hedgy73
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 10:26:01 PM

I strongly recommend not checking your balance frequently when mining with one PC. It will just drive you crazy with discouragement. You should expect to get one block a week or so. Just ignore it and let it do its thing, check back every few days. You might want to back down the threads if it makes more annoying fan noise at full power.

Thanks for your advice but on this pc I have a modified case fan cooling the cpu so it runs pretty cool.

I will however take your advice and check balance every now and again because of low hashrate.

Isn't this coin business all about finding a block or more with low hashrate... that's what my attraction is anyway, someone with no money being able to change it to nice money.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 10:33:13 PM

Thanks for your advice but on this pc I have a modified case fan cooling the cpu so it runs pretty cool.

I will however take your advice and check balance every now and again because of low hashrate.

Isn't this coin business all about finding a block or more with low hashrate... that's what my attraction is anyway, someone with no money being able to change it to nice money.

Yes but its a waiting game with a low hash rate. Once pools come online you will have the option to get a small amount on a much more regular basis.
hedgy73
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 10:36:27 PM

Yes but its a waiting game with a low hash rate. Once pools come online you will have the option to get a small amount on a much more regular basis.

Do you think pools will come online anytime soon?
surfer43

Merit: 250

"Trading Platform of The Future!"

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 10:49:24 PM

I am trying to optimize the binaries for linux with Intel C++ Composer XE 2013. I'm getting this error.

Code:
[ 33%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/cryptonote_core.dir/cryptonote_core/tx_pool.cpp.o
icpc: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '-Wvla'
icpc: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '-Wlogical-op'
icpc: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '-flto'
/home/ubuntu/bitmonero/src/serialization/binary_archive.h(135): error #63: shift count is too large
          v >>= 8;
                ^
          detected during:
            instantiation of "void binary_archive<true>::serialize_uint(T) [with T=unsigned char]" at line 127
            instantiation of "void binary_archive<true>::serialize_int(T) [with T=unsigned char]" at line 165

Huh

Without looking too closely that looks like a compiler bug to me, or overly aggressive static checking that gets it wrong. Maybe you can turn off that check?

oh... -Werror was in CMakeLists.txt, so the warnings were treated as errors.  Roll Eyes
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 11:19:20 PM

I am trying to optimize the binaries for linux with Intel C++ Composer XE 2013. I'm getting this error.

Code:
[ 33%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/cryptonote_core.dir/cryptonote_core/tx_pool.cpp.o
icpc: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '-Wvla'
icpc: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '-Wlogical-op'
icpc: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '-flto'
/home/ubuntu/bitmonero/src/serialization/binary_archive.h(135): error #63: shift count is too large
          v >>= 8;
                ^
          detected during:
            instantiation of "void binary_archive<true>::serialize_uint(T) [with T=unsigned char]" at line 127
            instantiation of "void binary_archive<true>::serialize_int(T) [with T=unsigned char]" at line 165

Huh

Without looking too closely that looks like a compiler bug to me, or overly aggressive static checking that gets it wrong. Maybe you can turn off that check?

oh... -Werror was in CMakeLists.txt, so the warnings were treated as errors.  Roll Eyes

OK that makes sense. The line in question is dead code but the warning recognizer doesn't understand that.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 11:19:46 PM

Do you think pools will come online anytime soon?

According to this post good progress is being made: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.msg6640190#msg6640190

archit

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 11:44:44 PM
Last edit: May 10, 2014, 12:12:36 AM by archit

Working on a pool for Monero Cheesy

UPDATE 1: API seems awfully easy, wonder what took the developers here so much time
Keyboard-Mash

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 12:23:11 AM

Working on a pool for Monero Cheesy

UPDATE 1: API seems awfully easy, wonder what took the developers here so much time

Must be because you weren't here! Smiley

Now I'm really excited, any idea when you'll be done?

I'll keep people here updated while you work on it, if you'd like? Unless, you want to keep them updated on your breaks?
stellarman

Activity: 60

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 12:40:09 AM

Several times when I have started the daemon after a period of being turned off, I have noticed that I get a message in the daemon saying that I am now synchronized. But then if I wait a few seconds I get another yellow message that says I am still synchronizing. This time, I got the "synchronized" message after about a minute, but I am really still a day behind.

Is this a known bug? Anybody else get this?
lisalee

Activity: 53

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 12:42:29 AM

Quanttek will be doing German and David Latapie French. Monero will be soon be very international. Smiley

Chinese translation will be one of the most important. If anyone can offer to do a high-quality one (or knows someone that can), that would be great.
Those who want to translate the website: PM me. Do not start with the "getting started" page as it is the one most prone to heavy changes, though.

Is someone translating it to Chinese? If not, could I have a try and do the Chinese translation?

Sure! Right now we don't have any bounties for translation, though, so the translators have been volunteers.

OK. I know that. I will finished it in 24 hours anyway.
archit

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 01:08:15 AM

Code writing begins, found almost everything I need
eizh

Merit: 500

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 01:29:27 AM

Quanttek will be doing German and David Latapie French. Monero will be soon be very international. Smiley

Chinese translation will be one of the most important. If anyone can offer to do a high-quality one (or knows someone that can), that would be great.
Those who want to translate the website: PM me. Do not start with the "getting started" page as it is the one most prone to heavy changes, though.

Is someone translating it to Chinese? If not, could I have a try and do the Chinese translation?

Sure! Right now we don't have any bounties for translation, though, so the translators have been volunteers.

OK. I know that. I will finished it in 24 hours anyway.

Great! To use it, they might need the mining guide translated as well. It's now here: http://monero.cc/getting-started/
Pages: « 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: