Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:32:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Butterfly Labs - Bitforce Single and Mini Rig Box  (Read 186878 times)
DILLIGAF

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 03:07:02 AM

Due to the Obama economy, there are still lots of office vacancies.
Yeah I'm sure if McCain won there wouldn't be a vacancy for miles.  You betcha.

I'm not even saying that - all I'm saying is, come this election, Mr. O. can no longer blame Mr. B. for the
state of the economy - after [almost] 4 years, he owns it now. No ifs and buts.

Yes because that massive hole he inherited was just so easy to fill...
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jddebug

Activity: 446
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 03:13:59 AM

Which actually did happen to me in Palo Alto half a year ago, and this fact (and the unbearable heat) is the reason why I'm gradually shifting over to ASICs/FPGAs.
That ASIC shift must be VERY gradual Smiley

Well, when I started ordering my BFL Singles, the order page said "delivery in 4 to 6 weeks"...  Wink
So, if the shift is very gradual (and it is), that's 100% BFL's fault.

At least the product is well-engineered - CGMINER reads 64-64 degrees Celsius from the 1-fan Single and 59-60 degrees Celsius from the 2-fan Single. Neither has a blinking front LED.

Tomorrow I will hook up a third one, and take one GPU down in exchange.
On Friday I will hook up the fourth one, and take a whole GPU rig down.

Ok, I'm curious. I have cgminer 2.3.1 going with my singles. I do not see any information about temp like I do with GPU's. Is there a setting I am missing?
Gomeler

Activity: 697
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 03:15:25 AM

Politics, in the BFL thread? GTFO with your crap.
Inspector 2211

Activity: 448

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 03:22:00 AM

Which actually did happen to me in Palo Alto half a year ago, and this fact (and the unbearable heat) is the reason why I'm gradually shifting over to ASICs/FPGAs.

Well, when I started ordering my BFL Singles, the order page said "delivery in 4 to 6 weeks"...  Wink

At least the product is well-engineered - CGMINER reads 64-64 degrees Celsius from the 1-fan Single and 59-60 degrees Celsius from the 2-fan Single. Neither has a blinking front LED.

Ok, I'm curious. I have cgminer 2.3.1 going with my singles. I do not see any information about temp like I do with GPU's. Is there a setting I am missing?

I think you need to upgrade to version 2.3.2 or 2.3.3. 2.3.3 works for me.

▄█▄
            ▄█ ▀█▀
     ▄ ▄███▄▄████▄▀ ▄▄▀▄
    ▀█▄████
██████▀▄█████▀▄▀
   ▄█▀▄
███████████████████▄
 ▄██▀█▀
▀▀▀███▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▀█▀▄
 ▄█▀▀   ▀█
███▀▄████████ █▀█▄▄
██▀  ▀ ▀ ▀
██████████▄   ▄▀▀█▄
     ▀ ▀
  ███▀▀▀▀▀████▌ ▄  ▀
          ████████████▌   █
        █████████████▀
        ▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀
           ▀▀  ▀▀
BTC-GREEN       ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄██████████████▄
  ▄██████
██████████████▄
 ▄███
███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
 ▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
Ecological Community in the Green Planet
❱❱❱❱❱❱     WHITEPAGE   |   ANN THREAD     ❰❰❰❰❰❰
           ▄███▄▄
       ▄▄█████████▄
      ▄████████████▌
   ▄█████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████
███████████████▄
▄████████████████████▀
███████████████████████▀
 ▀▀██████▀██▌██████▀
   ▀██▀▀▀  ██  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
           ██
           ██▌
          ▐███▄
jddebug

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 03:37:03 AM
Last edit: April 19, 2012, 03:53:41 AM by jddebug

Well, when I started ordering my BFL Singles, the order page said "delivery in 4 to 6 weeks"...  Wink

I just did but now at the top of the display where it used to show all the miners in a list it only shows the shares as they are found. If I turn on the more verbose mode its putting the temp information in the area where the share info is being output so it looks horrible. Does it look that way to you?

I think you need to upgrade to version 2.3.2 or 2.3.3. 2.3.3 works for me.

I upgraded. Now it seems the display is not working correctly. In the previous version 2.3.1 all my singles showed up in a row with all their stats except the temp. Now all that is gone and only shares submitted are getting displayed. The top bar with the total stats are still there, just not the individual ones.
xDGDZEx

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 05:36:57 AM

I upgraded. Now it seems the display is not working correctly. In the previous version 2.3.1 all my singles showed up in a row with all their stats except the temp. Now all that is gone and only shares submitted are getting displayed. The top bar with the total stats are still there, just not the individual ones.

Wait, am I missing something? Are you running all singles under one instance? Currently I'm running one instance per unit in order to allow correct worker reporting to the pool. Can you do that under a single instance?
Inspector 2211

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 05:43:25 AM

Wait, am I missing something? Are you running all singles under one instance? Currently I'm running one instance per unit in order to allow correct worker reporting to the pool. Can you do that under a single instance?

I run two Singles against one mining location. I think this is the intended operation mode of CGminer.
This way, it lists all your mining assets in a neat table and all mining assets contribute to the mining location specified.

▄█▄
            ▄█ ▀█▀
     ▄ ▄███▄▄████▄▀ ▄▄▀▄
    ▀█▄████
██████▀▄█████▀▄▀
   ▄█▀▄
███████████████████▄
 ▄██▀█▀
▀▀▀███▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▀█▀▄
 ▄█▀▀   ▀█
███▀▄████████ █▀█▄▄
██▀  ▀ ▀ ▀
██████████▄   ▄▀▀█▄
     ▀ ▀
  ███▀▀▀▀▀████▌ ▄  ▀
          ████████████▌   █
        █████████████▀
        ▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀
           ▀▀  ▀▀
    ▄██████████████▄
  ▄██████
██████████████▄
 ▄███
███████████████████▄
  ▀█████████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
           ▄███▄▄
       ▄▄█████████▄
      ▄████████████▌
   ▄█████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████
███████████████▄
▄████████████████████▀
███████████████████████▀
 ▀▀██████▀██▌██████▀
   ▀██▀▀▀  ██  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
           ██
           ██▌
          ▐███▄
jddebug

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 05:53:49 AM

I run all of mine off the same "instance" of cgminer too. Works great. Display is messed up in 2.3.3 for me though it seems. I just got finished reading the cgminer thread. Seems its an issue thats been fixed but no new Windows binary yet.
enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 05:55:39 AM

Is there any MTTF/MTBF/FIT data available on these? Has any such testing even been done? If not, is there any word on the exact components being used so we could find MTTF/MTBF/FIT data on the components at least?
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4438
Merit: 1794

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 06:18:00 AM

Is there any MTTF/MTBF/FIT data available on these? Has any such testing even been done? If not, is there any word on the exact components being used so we could find MTTF/MTBF/FIT data on the components at least?
No, No and No.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 10:08:59 AM

I run all of mine off the same "instance" of cgminer too. Works great. Display is messed up in 2.3.3 for me though it seems. I just got finished reading the cgminer thread. Seems its an issue thats been fixed but no new Windows binary yet.

jddebug, if you have more than 8 devices, cgminer no longer displays each individual device. This was a "fix" in 2.3.3.
jddebug

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 04:43:45 PM

jddebug, if you have more than 8 devices, cgminer no longer displays each individual device. This was a "fix" in 2.3.3.

I will have to run several instances of it then. I don't like fixes that break things.
MXRider

Activity: 466

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 05:35:10 PM

I just wish the delivery times weren't so damn long.

Is there anything else one can do with Single or MiniRig than mine bitcoins. Just wondering what kind of "insurance" I have if BTC crashes.

How long have you been waiting for the MiniRig guys?
bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 05:46:26 PM

Is there anything else one can do with Single or MiniRig than mine bitcoins. Just wondering what kind of "insurance" I have if BTC crashes.

People have been saying that there is currently no other use for the Singles, unless BFL supplies an alternate bitstream....

however, reading this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49971.msg811855#msg811855 gives the impression that even if the chips have an encrypted bitstream, that an open stream can still be installed on them. Of course it depends on what kind of chip is being used.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 05:47:18 PM

People have been saying that there is currently no other use for the Singles, unless BFL supplies an alternate bitstream....

however, reading this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49971.msg811855#msg811855 gives the impression that even if the chips have an encrypted bitstream, that an open stream can still be installed on them. Of course it depends on what kind of chip is being used.
Yeah you would have to know exactly the make and model of the chip, and I don't think anyone knows it yet.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 05:54:33 PM

It figures that right after I cash out a bunch of bitcoins to buy several BFL singles, the price of bitcoins starts climbing.
WhitePhantom

Activity: 348

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 08:56:02 PM

Before I ordered my Rig Box (now two Mini-Rigs), Sonny told me (just a paraphrase from memory) that I shouldn't consider the value of the hardware for other uses in any part of my decision on whether to make a purchase, as there is currently no other use for them.  However, he also said that if BTC did crash and become worthless, they would probably release their development toolkit so their customers could attempt to recover something on the hardware investment.
BFL

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2012, 09:24:38 PM

Before I ordered my Rig Box (now two Mini-Rigs), Sonny told me (just a paraphrase from memory) that I shouldn't consider the value of the hardware for other uses in any part of my decision on whether to make a purchase, as there is currently no other use for them.  However, he also said that if BTC did crash and become worthless, they would probably release their development toolkit so their customers could attempt to recover something on the hardware investment.

Hi guys, sorry to jump in on your conversation but this comment was pointed out to me and I wanted to take the opportunity to clarify as this question has come up quite a lot.

Our alternate purpose firmware has been set aside in favor of focusing our efforts on the larger BTC mining market.  Our project started before BTC and when time allows, we will complete firmware development in those areas.  However, because we've stopped development for those markets we want to make it clear that purchasing our hardware should be a decision based on it's BTC mining value alone.

Butterfly Labs  -  www.butterflylabs.com  -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
Inspector 2211

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 09:25:55 PM

So I bring the remaining two Singles from this week's shipment of three online yesterday evening and leave them mining overnight.

Guess what.

One of their "Made in China" power supplies died overnight, green LED off.  Cry

I'm not even going to send it back for an exchange - I'm just going to cut off its 12V cable and attach it to a industrial-grade (Vicor Power) 12V supply.

▄█▄
            ▄█ ▀█▀
     ▄ ▄███▄▄████▄▀ ▄▄▀▄
    ▀█▄████
██████▀▄█████▀▄▀
   ▄█▀▄
███████████████████▄
 ▄██▀█▀
▀▀▀███▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▀█▀▄
 ▄█▀▀   ▀█
███▀▄████████ █▀█▄▄
██▀  ▀ ▀ ▀
██████████▄   ▄▀▀█▄
     ▀ ▀
  ███▀▀▀▀▀████▌ ▄  ▀
          ████████████▌   █
        █████████████▀
        ▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀
           ▀▀  ▀▀
    ▄██████████████▄
  ▄██████
██████████████▄
 ▄███
███████████████████▄
  ▀█████████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
           ▄███▄▄
       ▄▄█████████▄
      ▄████████████▌
   ▄█████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████
███████████████▄
▄████████████████████▀
███████████████████████▀
 ▀▀██████▀██▌██████▀
   ▀██▀▀▀  ██  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
           ██
           ██▌
          ▐███▄
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 09:42:31 PM

So I bring the remaining two Singles from this week's shipment of three online yesterday evening and leave them mining overnight.

Guess what.

One of their "Made in China" power supplies died overnight, green LED off.  Cry

I'm not even going to send it back for an exchange - I'm just going to cut off its 12V cable and attach it to a industrial-grade (Vicor Power) 12V supply.

I believe this is the first report of a BFL field failure. Let's hope your dying PSU didn't fry your Single while it was in its death throes. That would be bad.

I've been using spare ATX 80+ Gold supplies instead of the supplied bricks. Though it is a PITA to crimp/solder the cables and plugs, there are benefits: (1) more efficient supply (7%-10%), thus less power loss/heat; (2) less cable clutter and power outlets; and (3) IMHO the ATX supply should be more reliable and better protected than the stock brick.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 »
  Print  

Jump to: