Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:05:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 [777] 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032140 times)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 03:13:42 AM

brg444,

the difference btwn an altcoin as it exists today and a sidecoin that could exist on a SC tomorrow is a direct link to the Bitcoin network via the 2wp.  b/c the 2wp guarantees that scBTC can get back to BTC (theoretically), users will be encouraged to migrate to the SC to utilize the innovation and pay scBTC tx fees.  and they will be incentivized to stay there b/c of the 2wp.  initially, i believe these scBTC will be valued lower than BTC in fiat terms b/c they are indeed less secure and arbing can be expected to drag down the BTC price.  however, as time advances and if the innovation is significantly proven to be useful and confidence in security of the SC increases, more and more ppl will convert to scBTC.  you yourself concluded this should drive up the fiat price and i agree.  this should feed on itself to the point that everyone will perform their tx's on the SC if the Bitcoin core devs do nothing to update the MC with the innovation.  this would destroy Bitcoin miners over the long run as their block rewards diminish along with defecting tx fees.  how and when will they devs decide to upgrade the protocol?  they need consensus which you've already said is impossible.  will they do it under pressure, panic?  when 40, 50, or 60% of all BTC have become scBTC?  maybe it will be too late or maybe it gets blocked by Blockstream core devs b/c their biz model depends on SC development and success?  can you imagine how many $millions it would be worth to Blockstream if all BTC hodlers ended up having to move to a SC they had helped conceive and build?  who knows, i don't see it as guaranteed and i surely see the process as potentially being conflicted.  

MM an altcoin as it's defined today is seriously risky and not worth the trouble for Bitcoin miners.  MM a sidecoin adds additional badly needed revenue to struggling smaller miners who will be more willing to defect to a sidecoin.  the revenue stream will be more easy to envision for these miners.  the other difference is that no, Bitcoin miners can't just simply start mining an altcoin today if they wanted to.  the altcoin's protocol has to be specifically modified by the altcoin devs to accept Bitcoin DMMS.  i don't see them offering this to Bitcoin miners so that's why it's not happening.  since sidecoins represent a direct link to the Bitcoin MC for BTC users to convert to scBTC, the process is simpler and worth more to miners b/c they can mine not only sidecoin reward & tx fees but scBTC tx fees as well.  

Huh

You were wrong by your first sentence, should I continue reading?

Sidecoins do NOT guarantee that the scBTC can get back to the BTC. Sidecoins have a floating peg and not a 1:1 2wp.

you're not reading properly.  a SC with a sidecoin can also accept scBTC.  it's the scBTC that have the 2wp, as you say.  therefore, any miner mining the SC gets 3 revenue streams; scBTC and sidecoin tx fees and sidecoin block rewards.  this is why they will MM and eventually directly mine if enough scBTC appears on the SC.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FNG

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 03:15:19 AM

Nikkei +657 (4%)

Shocked
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 03:15:59 AM

brg444,
MM an altcoin as it's defined today is seriously risky and not worth the trouble for Bitcoin miners.  MM a sidecoin adds additional badly needed revenue to struggling smaller miners who will be more willing to defect to a sidecoin.  the revenue stream will be more easy to envision for these miners.  the other difference is that no, Bitcoin miners can't just simply start mining an altcoin today if they wanted to.  the altcoin's protocol has to be specifically modified by the altcoin devs to accept Bitcoin DMMS.  i don't see them offering this to Bitcoin miners so that's why it's not happening.  since sidecoins represent a direct link to the Bitcoin MC for BTC users to convert to scBTC, the process is simpler and worth more to miners b/c they can mine not only sidecoin reward & tx fees but scBTC tx fees as well.  

Maybe I should repeat again? Sidecoin = altcoin. Same dynamics. Floating exchange rate with BTC and all. So MM an altcoin more risky than MM a sidecoin?

Absolutely not.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 03:16:12 AM

It is economically naive to fail to consider that a feature that adds value in one economic condition, may subtract it in another, and that movement of money may follow this with a lag, sometimes a very significant lag due to practical constraints.
Further naivete would be in imaging that this is not happening all the time, and that this effect is commonly exploited.  "Economists" here are contemplating only static ideal cases, and implementing regulatory changes in spite of these concerns.  Changing the code is changing what ultimately regulates Bitcoin.

With this particular change, it is not so easy to undo it if it turns out to be a mistake.  Many Bitcoin may be destroyed.  People will make mistakes of trust.

There are many new risks with SC.  Lets address them rather than pretend that they don't exist.

You make many sensible comments and let me insist I am not trying to downplay the potential risks of sidechains.

My problem is that most of sidechains opponents in this thread are justifying their risk-case with a proposition that involves the creation of coins booted on sidechains.

To my knowledge, coins booted on sidechains are the economic equivalent of altcoins and in no way are sidecoins advantaged over altcoins. So in essence, sidecoins are not responsible for that problem and it is misguided to suggest that they are.

brg444, what is you critique of doing all the things you like about SC with Open-Transactions http://opentransactions.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page, and none of the inflation?

Utility sidechains (1:1) peg have no inflation and are more decentralized than OT is.

I win?

how are those cheep coins working for you  Smiley OT can be as decentralized as using a BitTorrent client to assess the BitTorrent network, 100%  decentralized, and available without a prototypical change why so insistent SC are better?  

FYI inflation in value on a SC is what prevents one converting back into BTC, one want to use the value enabled by the SC, and if it isn't there you want to convert back the BTC.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
brg444

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 03:21:23 AM

you're not reading properly.  a SC with a sidecoin can also accept scBTC.  it's the scBTC that have the 2wp, as you say.  therefore, any miner mining the SC gets 3 revenue streams; scBTC and sidecoin tx fees and sidecoin block rewards.  this is why they will MM and eventually directly mine if enough scBTC appears on the SC.

I don't believe this is quite exact.

A SC with a sidecoin will reward BTC locked into this sidechain with a deterministic amount of scBTC (not 1:1). For example 1 BTC will get you 5000 scBTC. From that point on these sidecoins have a floating exchange rate. If the sidechain fails to attract speculators/users than the exchange rate is more expensive ex: it now cost you 10000 scBTC to redeem 1 BTC.

For that reason, sidecoins are exactly like altcoins

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 03:28:29 AM

you're not reading properly.  a SC with a sidecoin can also accept scBTC.  it's the scBTC that have the 2wp, as you say.  therefore, any miner mining the SC gets 3 revenue streams; scBTC and sidecoin tx fees and sidecoin block rewards.  this is why they will MM and eventually directly mine if enough scBTC appears on the SC.

A SC with a sidecoin will reward BTC locked into this sidechain with a deterministic amount of scBTC (not 1:1). For example 1 BTC will get you 5000 scBTC. From that point on these sidecoins have a floating exchange rate. If the sidechain fails to attract speculators/users than the exchange rate is more expensive ex: it now cost you 10000 scBTC to redeem 1 BTC.

the dev can design the peg and the SC with any properties he wants.  he could design the exact scenario i outline; a SC with a 1:1 peg for BTC <--> scBTC that also issues a block reward for a new sidecoin while at the same time processing scBTC and sidecoin tx for fees.

this would definitely attract MM initially, and if highly successful, defecting Bitcoin miners who direct mine the SC.
brg444

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 03:29:12 AM

how are those cheep coins working for you  Smiley OT can be as decentralized as using a BitTorrent client to assess the BitTorrent network, 100%  decentralized, and available without a prototypical change why so insistent SC are better?  

FYI inflation in value on a SC is what prevents one converting back into BTC, one want to use the value enabled by the SC, and if it isn't there you want to convert back the BTC.

I will be honest I haven't looked into OT in much details but if I understand it right, can the same concern you guys parade around not be applied to OT as well?

If OT gains traction and develops innovative utilities then is it not right that most txs would occur on their network and would be even more dangerous for the miners than SCs?

I'm not sure I understand your last comment. Value is not inflated using utility chains working with a 1:1 peg, the ledger is preserved and no additional coins are created.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 03:31:25 AM

pg 11 Complexity:

On the level of assets, we no longer have a simple “one chain, one asset” maxim; individual
chains may support arbitrarily many assets, even ones that did not exist when the chain was first
created. Each of these assets is labelled with the chain it was transferred from to ensure that their
transfers can be unwound correctly.
brg444

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 03:31:29 AM

you're not reading properly.  a SC with a sidecoin can also accept scBTC.  it's the scBTC that have the 2wp, as you say.  therefore, any miner mining the SC gets 3 revenue streams; scBTC and sidecoin tx fees and sidecoin block rewards.  this is why they will MM and eventually directly mine if enough scBTC appears on the SC.

the dev can design the peg and the SC with any properties he wants.  he could design the exact scenario i outline; a SC with a 1:1 peg for BTC <--> scBTC that also issues a block reward for a new sidecoin while at the same time processing scBTC and sidecoin tx for fees.

this would definitely attract MM initially, and if highly successful, defecting Bitcoin miners who direct mine the SC.

The moment an additional coined is issued on the sidechain that cannot be redeemed 1:1 with BTC ALL the coins on that sidechain become sidecoins.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 03:33:34 AM

The moment an additional coined is issued on the sidechain that cannot be redeemed 1:1 with BTC ALL the coins on that sidechain become sidecoins.

i know that.  i never claimed that a sidecoin needed to be exchanged for BTC.  those factors don't change my argument at all, that being Bitcoin miners will be encouraged to MM initially and defect eventually given a successful SC as i have defined it.
brg444

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 03:40:48 AM

i know that.  i never claimed that a sidecoin needed to be exchanged for BTC.  those factors don't change my argument at all, that being Bitcoin miners will be encouraged to MM initially and defect eventually given a successful SC as i have defined it.

to be honest I don't see it.

from the quote you posted I understand that a sidechain could contain different units, some that are pegged 1:1 with BTC and others that have a deterministic, floating exchange rate.

if that is the case, then I don't see the use case for such a scheme. if one wants to use the feature on such a sidechain then he would want to use the unit which carries a 1:1 peg and not the sidecoin. if, for any reason, the amount of available 1:1 units on that sidechain are limited then someone will clone the sidechain and remove the cap.

sidecoins create no incentive for the user, only additional risk.

if they have the choice between two sidechains promoting the same feature, one using a sidecoin and the other a 1:1 2wp, then the 2wp wins every time

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 03:51:57 AM

from the quote you posted I understand that a sidechain could contain different units, some that are pegged 1:1 with BTC and others that have a deterministic, floating exchange rate.

if that is the case, then I don't see the use case for such a scheme. if one wants to use the feature on such a sidechain then he would want to use the unit which carries a 1:1 peg and not the sidecoin. if, for any reason, the amount of available 1:1 units on that sidechain are limited then someone will clone the sidechain and remove the cap.

if they have the choice between two sidechains promoting the same feature, one using a sidecoin and the other a 1:1 2wp, then the 2wp wins every time
Exactly. A state would choose a sidecoin as (dare I say) cryptofiat. They would exchange for BTC at the border.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
brg444

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 03:54:19 AM

Just to carry on this idea, I think this is something most of you fail to realize.

Any innovative feature ported to a 1:1 chain will inevitably succeed over a sidecoin.

Users will congregate to the safest, most risk-adverse chain and the one with a deterministic, floating peg is certainly not it.

Miners will MM only the most popular chain where there is sufficient value therefore there are considerable chances that miners will have no incentive to secure the sidecoins considering it is doubtful they will attract any user in the long run.

brg444

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 03:56:11 AM

Exactly. A state would choose a sidecoin as (dare I say) cryptofiat. They would exchange for BTC at the border.

And ban the use of any other cryptocurrency throughout the country ?

You realise this is like saying you can use the internet but please don't download songs.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 04:01:42 AM

i actually see your point.

what did you mean by the bolded part?
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 04:08:38 AM

I will be honest I haven't looked into OT in much details but if I understand it right, can the same concern you guys parade around not be applied to OT as well?

If OT gains traction and develops innovative utilities then is it not right that most txs would occur on their network and would be even more dangerous for the miners than SCs?

I'm not sure I understand your last comment. Value is not inflated using utility chains working with a 1:1 peg, the ledger is preserved and no additional coins are created.

re the last point there need not be value inflation on a SC, but there could be.

re. OT it's not a change on the prototypical level, so no risk to the incentives in mining Bitcoin over time. As there will always be as similar risk as there is with SC, it naturally gets priced in in the market. OT in my view enables the vision people see when thinking of Bitcoin as a trust free reserve currency. 

OT can be a  "decentralized exchanges" here is an intro as to how to do it without screwing with the bitcoin protocol.
http://youtu.be/teNzIFu5L70?t=1m

and some more info.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtJcUM5-TeA

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
brg444

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 04:09:15 AM

i actually see your point.

what did you mean by the bolded part?

Well I guess someone COULD create a sidechain that is capped at a certain amount of 1:1 units and then if you do not hold any of that stake you are stuck using the sidecoin to use the feature but to be frank I honestly don't see how someone could be fooled by such a scheme.

The bolded simply points out that in such a situation another developer could simply clone the feature of the sidechain and make it available through a 1:1 peg with no cap.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 04:09:59 AM

And ban the use of any other cryptocurrency throughout the country ?

You realise this is like saying you can use the internet but please don't download songs.
I don't see any businesses selling pirated songs or movies, because only the legal ones have value. I don't see Americans using Pesos. Nobody will sell a currency if it is not liquid enough to use in a brick and mortar store. Just like every other foreign currency, you will be asked to leave it at the border.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
brg444

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 04:12:30 AM

re the last point there need not be value inflation on a SC, but there could be.

re. OT it's not a change on the prototypical level, so no risk to the incentives in mining Bitcoin over time. As there will always be as similar risk as there is with SC, it naturally gets priced in in the market. OT in my view enables the vision people see when thinking of Bitcoin as a trust free reserve currency. 

OT can be a  "decentralized exchanges" here is an intro as to how to do it without screwing with the bitcoin protocol.
http://youtu.be/teNzIFu5L70?t=1m

and some more info.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtJcUM5-TeA

thank you, I will look into this but you did not adress my point.

if most of the transactions occur on OT then the danger is even greater for miners considering unlike SCs they do not get to mine and profit from OT, correct?

and regarding inflation on a SC. yes indeed there could be, but if there is then it becomes much like any other altcoin and this inflation does not affect the BTC ledger.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 04:17:00 AM

brg444, did you ever address the concern that a utility chain has the chance to permanently attract all tx fees to itself in the long run at the expense of BTC miners who need those tx fees?  or is your answer simply that Bitcoin will pre empt that by adopting said innovation before that happens?
Pages: « 1 ... 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 [777] 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: