Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:04:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312368 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 08:49:33 PM
Last edit: February 26, 2015, 09:11:43 PM by ArticMine

Assuming someone really wanted to buy like 200BTC worth of XMR when the price was low, he couldnt do that without obviously pumping the price. Even more so when half the sell orders were his own.If you dont say anything people will think that, well, the time they were waiting for may be coming indeed and wont sell. They may even buy more.

So what is best to do? Tell the people that you are manipulating the price. People dislike that. They play along but stay alarmed and sell when they feel a bit scared. After all its just manipulation. So i would argue that you actually manage to buy the coins you wanted at better price by stating that you are manipulating the price.

And this way also has a plus. Your words gain more trust if you say something and that happens. You can use that in the future. Maybe really near future too.

Only thing i really dont think you are going to do is to wait 24h to buy. You actually buy the moment you said that you are going to buy.

Oh and remember, it is also buying when people (from a wannabe syndicates or not) dump on you Wink

I wait 24 hours if I say I wait 24 hours. If I don't say, I can do what I want. Those 24 hours have already expired.

What I currently have said is that:

- Monero price will rise (from the starting point of 115k);
- I will aim to focus the marketing to investor-minded people who have significantly more money than currently invested in Monero;
- I have money under management that is about to flow to Monero;
- I hope that the small guys who already know about Monero, get back on board first.

If you project other wishes of yours to me, hoping that I make them true, you will be disappointed. I have explained what I believe is the best investment approach towards Monero here in this thread, and will probably do it in a dedicated website soon as well.

Both the core team and the MEW are cooperatives, because those aims can only be reached by networks of people. The coming Monero Investment Group (MiG) is largely a one-man effort (to eliminate the possibility of collusion). The aim is to dispense facts for people to act upon, for everyone to make his own decision. Let the MEW take care of the social aspect.

It's becoming tiring to explain the same thing the 4th time in 4 days, and getting accused of untransparency. These are my plans, and as long as Monero stays cheap, no one can stop me from achieving them. When it goes up, they are achieved.

We are changing to the "money talks, bullshit walks" phase. The power that the current holders have against the influx of new money is to sell. That power can be exercised only once. Use it, but with caution, since the target value of Monero is not 10x or even 1,000x, it is 100,000x the current value.

As if the XMR bears did not already have enough of a Sword of Damocles hanging over their collective heads before rpietila unleashes his threatened stampede of bulls on them. Here are a couple of examples:
1) The delay in the database and the GUI. The latest Monero missive https://getmonero.org/2015/02/23/monero-missive-for-the-week-of-2015-02-23.html demonstrates the development philosophy very well and why it is so dangerous to the bears long term.
Gingeropolous

You mean there's more things that have to happen before the GUI comes out?
Riccardo

Yip…there's a lot of stuff that's "almost there", but there are some essential components and…there's a lot of stuff, I'll give you just one example: refactoring everything out into library form so that we have common libraries for Monero accounts and @wallets, we have a library for the daemon…the connection to the network, we have a library for consensus, so verifying and checking validity of transactions and blocks and signatures and ring signatures, and we also have a library for RPC interfaces.

Having that, and having those library functions and library APIs documented and available, might seem like stuff that we don't need to do to get the GUI out, but it is important because it means that from a QT side we will be able to plug into that library quite easily. And the other up-shot is once we have that done it will open the way to really good third-party implementations, so being able to use those libraries on an iOS or Android wallet means that there's just really cool stuff that can be done without needing to reimplement stuff, you know.
This is a classic short term pain for long term gain development strategy. In the short term we see "the pain" in the current market price, but do not be deceived the long term gain can show up at any time and given the nature of the Monero project without any advance notice. This is in stark contrast to Darkcoin which has gone for short term gains. In the short term DRK has out performed XMR by a very significant margin. This has come at a price. DRK is in many ways build upon a house of cards that can come tumbling down at any moment. This brings me to my second threat to the XMR bears:
2) A possible collapse of Darkcoin. Given that the market capitalization of Darkcoin is close to 7x that of Monero a sudden collapse of Darkcoin would lead to a flood of refugees looking for an alternative and Monero is a clear option. This also could easily set off a buying panic in XMR.

In conclusion those who have sold XMR at 0.0011 hoping to buy back at 0.0008, maybe should consider cutting their losses. Pigs typically end up being slaughtered in the market, regardless of whether they are of the bull variety or the bear variety. How they get slaughtered may be an interesting academic exercise, but the reality is that the pigs still get slaughtered.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 08:51:13 PM

Not entirely, it could be two possibilities. He may be trolling (and he probably can't help it because trolls are mentally ill, or paid) or he may be talking the price down so he can buy lower.  It is unlikely he has altruistically sharing his insightful analysis the world of poor naive crypto investors.

About mental illness insult I will report you.

You are apparently reading-challenged too.

1. Two possibilities (and also a third, unlikely one) does not constitute a statement of fact, nor an insult.

2. Even if it were an insult, insults are allowed

Possible (since we don't have the time or resources to check) insults are also allowed as long as they contain any kind of constructive opinion, info or something else substantial and aren't off-topic.

About "poor" and "naive" crypto investitors, it's their choice, cant help em.

Okay then, since the third possibility (altruism) is denied, which is it? Talking your book or trolling?
pandher
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

Stagnation is Death

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 08:56:25 PM

About mental illness insult I will report you. It's not nice to insult me like that which you clearly did.

He said trolls are mentaly ill, so you do agree that you are a troll?
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 09:06:25 PM

coinits, let's have some substance along with those insults please. Forum rules.
coinits
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 09:11:15 PM

coinits, let's have some substance along with those insults please. Forum rules.

10-4

Just that I get so damned tired of people trolling this coin. They spend all of their time knocking something good either because they get off on fud or they feel that a competing coin is in jeopardy. I was just giving them the attention span that they deserve.

Jump you fuckers! | The thing about smart motherfuckers is they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers. | My sig space for rent for 0.01 btc per week.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 09:12:34 PM

About mental illness insult I will report you. It's not nice to insult me like that which you clearly did.

He said trolls are mentaly ill, so you do agree that you are a troll?

Logic ftw. Bravo pandher.
oblox
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 10:32:11 PM

This is in stark contrast to Darkcoin which has gone for short term gains. In the short term DRK has out performed XMR by a very significant margin. This has come at a price. DRK is in many ways build upon a house of cards that can come tumbling down at any moment. This brings me to my second threat to the XMR bears:
2) A possible collapse of Darkcoin. Given that the market capitalization of Darkcoin is close to 7x that of Monero a sudden collapse of Darkcoin would lead to a flood of refugees looking for an alternative and Monero is a clear option. This also could easily set off a buying panic in XMR.

Here we go... again.  Roll Eyes

I hold both XMR and DRK but the clear bias you have because you only have XMR is ridiculous. They attack privacy from two different angles.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4892

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 10:58:57 PM

This is in stark contrast to Darkcoin which has gone for short term gains. In the short term DRK has out performed XMR by a very significant margin. This has come at a price. DRK is in many ways build upon a house of cards that can come tumbling down at any moment. This brings me to my second threat to the XMR bears:

I hold both XMR and DRK but the clear bias you have because you only have XMR is ridiculous. They attack privacy from two different angles.

And this is where the market will speak. no matter how much people want to argue about it the market will have the last word.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 11:01:23 PM

I am simply saying that someone who is short XMR should place very close attention to DRK from a risk management perspective, and yes I hold a long position in XMR and no position in DRK. By the way the same is true for someone who is long XMR which is why I am spending and have spent a fair amount to time learning about DRK and how it works. In spite of this I have not seen anything in my research that would justify me buying DRK. This is because I look at crypto-currency as a medium to long term hold. Hedging by holding both is a possible strategy in some situations but even that can have a significant impact on the price of XMR because of the relative capitalizations of both coins.

I see DRK as a possible short term play but over the medium to long term I simply do not like the fundamentals. XMR on the other hand is very much a medium to long term play.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 11:06:05 PM

I am simply saying that someone who is short XMR should place very close attention to DRK from a risk management perspective, and yes I hold a long position in XMR and no position in DRK. By the way the same is true for someone who is long XMR which is why I am spending and have spent a fair amount to time learning about DRK and how it works. In spite of this I have not seen anything in my research that would justify me buying DRK. This is because I look at crypto-currency as a medium to long term hold. Hedging by holding both is a possible strategy in some situations but even that can have a significant impact on the price of XMR because of the relative capitalizations of both coins.

I see DRK as a possible short term play but over the medium to long term I simply do not like the fundamentals. XMR on the other hand is very much a medium to long term play.

I bought into drk when it first came out and got cut off at the knees with the P&D's and then found out about the 30mil premine and then looked for a long term coin and this is the one my research led me to as the most viable. I guess I'll find out in a year or so. Smiley

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
UnicornFarts

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 11:43:47 PM

Bitcoin or 2.0 projects are XMR's biggest danger.

It's possible that the long term paradime of PoW is broken.  In theory the value that the PoW is protecting is always going to be going up while the percentage of money spent protecting it (miner rewards) is going to be going down.

Also the release curve is ponzi schemed.  And if people realize this with bitcoin and it is rejected - then XMR will take the brunt of the rejection along with bitcoin.

The fact that XMR doesn't share bitcoin's codebase and limited slow transactions is a really good thing.

I just don't think dark is the danger to XMR - I think the rejection of bitcoin is a much larger issue.
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 12:05:46 AM

It's possible that the long term paradime of PoW is broken.  In theory the value that the PoW is protecting is always going to be going up while the percentage of money spent protecting it (miner rewards) is going to be going down.

Also the release curve is ponzi schemed.  And if people realize this with bitcoin and it is rejected - then XMR will take the brunt of the rejection along with bitcoin.

The fact that XMR doesn't share bitcoin's codebase and limited slow transactions is a really good thing.

I just don't think dark is the danger to XMR - I think the rejection of bitcoin is a much larger issue.

[2] Actual number of atomic units is M = 264 - 1. A minimum subsidy may be implemented in the future with <1% annual inflation to preserve mining incentives.

The XMR specification allows for a minimum subsidy with less than 1% annual inflation to be implemented to address both the miner rewards issue and release curve issues.

Edit: Careful meticulous research is very important when considering a coin. I say read every little footnote.

Lloydimiller4

Activity: 186

Monero

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 03:10:48 AM

Unless you think XMR is Bitcoin 2.0  Wink

XMR: 43uAvbYL7z9NrKQig2DswM69XaeDug1Rf8v4Un1ndssb2To51Vojz2uZ21jFumWsCcgvqZ9hPuE3fEr xKoGCkHU8CzqHFiS
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2015, 03:43:11 AM

Unless you think XMR is Bitcoin 2.0  Wink

wait for it, wait for it....

(i'll post a link to it to keep this thread relatively free of ... distraction)

https://i.imgur.com/Qej8YEm.gif

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
oblox
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 04:43:35 AM

Here we go... again.  Roll Eyes

I bought into drk when it first came out and got cut off at the knees with the P&D's and then found out about the 30mil premine and then looked for a long term coin and this is the one my research led me to as the most viable. I guess I'll find out in a year or so. Smiley

lol, 30m premine. Bravo.
opennux

Activity: 231

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 04:48:15 AM

lol, 30m premine. Bravo.

Those numbers are clearly wrong. But don't ignore that there was a major pre-mine, which is being hushed and swept under the carpet. Your bias of investing in the coin makes you not face the issues presented.
oblox
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 04:56:28 AM

lol, 30m premine. Bravo.

Those numbers are clearly wrong. But don't ignore that there was a major pre-mine, which is being hushed and swept under the carpet. Your bias of investing in the coin makes you not face the issues presented.

lol, there wasn't a premine. Instamine, yes, but many coins in their beginnings have them. The results were compounded when the max coinage and block reward was adjusted. Further, it's not hushed, nor swept under the carpet. It is very much widely aired out and even part of the actual wiki of the history of the coin.

Hard having a bias when I hold both Monero and Darkcoin. Try.... harder?
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 05:01:05 AM

Instamine, yes, but many coins in their beginnings have them.

Name names please. I'm curious about this peer group.
oblox
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 05:13:43 AM

Instamine, yes, but many coins in their beginnings have them.

Name names please. I'm curious about this peer group.

Excluding the couple week POW->POS coins, and no-name coins, off the top of my head from ones that were top coins or have been around for a while:

Darkcoin
Feathercoin
Megacoin
Novacoin
Peercoin
Primecoin
Vertcoin
Bytecoin
Dogecoin (although with the amount of coins, it hardly matters)
Litecoin

Countless others that have came and went all depending on what flavor of the week coin was hot at the time making the others launched with low diff.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 05:16:43 AM

Isn't a instamine == premine when it's done before anyone else has time to ramp up?

Pages: « 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: