Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:52:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 [706] 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312376 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 09:52:29 PM

This guide was just posted on reddit btw:

https://github.com/monero-project/monero-site/blob/master/knowledge-base/user-guides/create_wallet.md

Might be helpful for the guys struggling with simplewallet and the CLI.

I wouldn't call it struggling.  In fact, that was ridiculously easy.  I was holding out to set up a linux machine, but jwinterm shamed me into setting up on windblows for the interim.  Took longer to write down the seed words than all the rest combined, once I got it downloaded.  now to transfer a few moneroj in there, and test recovery.

Thanks for the nagging, jwinterm  Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1103

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 10:04:27 PM

This guide was just posted on reddit btw:

https://github.com/monero-project/monero-site/blob/master/knowledge-base/user-guides/create_wallet.md

Might be helpful for the guys struggling with simplewallet and the CLI.

I wouldn't call it struggling.  In fact, that was ridiculously easy.  I was holding out to set up a linux machine, but jwinterm shamed me into setting up on windblows for the interim.  Took longer to write down the seed words than all the rest combined, once I got it downloaded.  now to transfer a few moneroj in there, and test recovery.

Thanks for the nagging, jwinterm  Cheesy

You're welcome, and great idea to do a test recovery with your seed words to make sure you recover the same address.
twistelaar
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 10:06:30 PM

How is the safety of the monero web wallet?

And somebody told me that devs are working on an 1 click instal wallet, when will this one be released? thanks!
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 10:09:54 PM

How is the safety of the monero web wallet?

And somebody told me that devs are working on an 1 click instal wallet, when will this one be released? thanks!

It is considered trustworthy because it is run by Fluffypony, a core-team member of Monero, but I wouldn't store large amounts on it. See:

Well it would be nice if the team or somebody else can develop an user friendly 1 click wallet right? Would also gain more people and attention...

There is also a simple web wallet I see, is it safe option as well?

It's from fluffypony, who is a core-team member, thus considered safe as in trustworthy. However, one should always be cautious with using webwallets.

More specifically there have been successful thefts. Fluffypony explicitly recommends not storing too large an amount there, and instead using it for convenient access to smaller amounts.

Is there a thread or such detailing that?

This one for example: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/491gbj/i_lost_some_monero_that_i_had_on_mymonerocom/d0ocdpm

But like fluffypony explains in the comments, it is not the webwallet itself but all the (potentially weak) links between (and including) the users computer and the server (the ISP, the VPN provider, TOR exit nodes, CloudFlare, etc). So only use it for pocket change, like your 'real' wallet.

+992983741982371023

I'm in the process of making that a little more clear on the wallet creation page, since I fear for people using it as a form of cold storage. Every time they login they risk their funds getting swiped:/

Regarding an one-click wallet, there is someone actively working on the GUI, see:

https://forum.getmonero.org/8/funding-required/2476/the-official-qt-gui-project

His work and the activity can be followed on:

https://github.com/mbg033?tab=activity

https://github.com/mbg033/monero-core

https://github.com/mbg033/bitmonero

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 10:11:54 PM

I don't expect any significant price movement upon the GUI's release, as it would accomplish very little short of eliminating the last bit of "troll ammo" being flung at the project.

A bundled GUI does nothing to create additional use cases outside of the crypto space that would expand Monero's reach.
aerbax

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2016, 11:06:42 PM

A GUI is of critical importance for the next level of adoption.  Monero's current UX is something akin to a "tech preview".  It's for early adopters.

We're all here because we know the technology is fantastic.  It's so fantastic that it's easy to evangelize.  Up until the point where you have to actually *do* something with it.

I know lots of people who *could* use the current CLI.. but it's chore to them.  Their first response to our current wallet is "Ugh...maybe later when I have more time...".  Me?  I have the time *and the interest* because I think we have something awesome here.

Take my dad.  He's installed Linux on his own.  He could probably fire up a terminal, open two tabs, run the daemon in one and the client in another.  But he's not going to do that.  It's a *chore* for him.  If I send him some Monero, he's not even going to check his balance for a while.  Perhaps he will when he wants to shapeshift the Monero into BTC so he can buy a gift card on Gyft. 

But he would be much more apt to do so if he had a GUI running...perhaps it's always running...with a tray icon...and he gets a popup notification when he receives something.  THAT is what we need.

And greater adoption means greater demand.  And the supply is dwindling...so supply and demand = a price increase.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2016, 11:51:19 PM

"Trezor for Monero – First impressions!":

http://weuse.cash/2016/03/07/trezor-for-monero-first-impressions/

Oh wow, that is pure fire.  Now I need a black one (to sign tx on XMR's opaque blockchain).   Cool

"For usability, I hope the Trezor will be integrated in the “official” Monero GUI."

Is that covered in the community-funded GUI spec or do we need another FFS request for a Trezor add-on/plug-in?

How do we get "Official Native" Monero support on MyTrezor.com?

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 11:55:14 PM

From reddit:

http://themerkle.com/technicalanalysis/monero-technical-analysis-for-03072016/

Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2016, 11:57:34 PM

Oh wow, that is pure fire.  Now I need a black one (to sign tx on XMR's opaque blockchain).   Cool

"For usability, I hope the Trezor will be integrated in the “official” Monero GUI."

Is that covered in the community-funded GUI spec or do we need another FFS request for a Trezor add-on/plug-in?

How do we get "Official Native" Monero support on MyTrezor.com?

[1] I don't think it would be that difficult to hook up the official GUI as user interface instead of simplewallet.

[2] Once they merge it upstream and thus "sign" it. It will also ensure the firmware updates automatically. Trezor indicated they are interested in merging the code upstream. See:

<NoodleDoodle> @fluffypony not yet, I'll work on osx/linux this weekend and see from there. As for the firmware, I'll request a pull upstream once I've added it to github. They are interested in merging it upstream.

From: https://getmonero.org/2016/03/05/overview-and-logs-for-the-dev-meeting-held-on-2016-03-05.html

Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 12:11:51 AM

A GUI is of critical importance for the next level of adoption.

I disagree. What incentive does anyone outside of our community have to run a full node with a GUI? How many Bitcoin users do you think still use QT?

The "next level" of adoption comes from third-party integrations and services that actually bring utility to the currency. A bundled GUI doesn't deliver any compelling new use cases, and won't result in any new adoption outside of Bitcointalk users and their close relatives.
cryptodromeda

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 12:29:29 AM

The "next level" of adoption comes from third-party integrations and services that actually bring utility to the currency. A bundled GUI doesn't deliver any compelling new use cases, and won't result in any new adoption outside of Bitcointalk users and their close relatives.

With all due respect, what you're saying is crazy.

Of course a bundled GUI will result in new adoption. You can't just assume that everyone knows how to use terminal.... they don't.

The userbase associated with a $1B marketcap is not the same userbase as a cabal of niche crypto-developers who take certain technological fundamentals for granted.

It should also be patently obvious that an easy-to-use GUI gives confidence to third-parties who may be mulling over integration.

It's a kind of blindness that reason alone cannot cure.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2016, 12:34:15 AM

It should be patently obvious that the GUI will have an effect on price, not just for faciliating greater user adoption but also for being a point of speculative propaganda.

Monero's all-time high is 0.01 which was achieved based on the expectation of Mintpal adoption - a meaningless exchange that has since departed.

The rise of ETH and fall of Cryptsy/Dash has pushed new wealth and whales into Poloniex from which XMR is the primary beneficiary.

Monero is a uniquely attractive tripod that posesses an extrordinary technological component, a credible political base, as well as demonstrable speculative volume.

This means that at any point in time the XMR price can explode without warning and for no reason whatsoever, other than the fact the price is deemed to be very low, and the long-term confidence is deemed to be very high.

Yes, Monero is wobbling on the tipping point and could at any moment fall upwards into a much higher price range.

A GUI will help catalyze the sustained cosmic background levels of adoption/buying pressure needed to offset emission and overwhelm profit-taking supply pressure on the way up.

I like the "uniquely attractive tripod" observation about XMR's critical masses of tech+people+money, as it is congruent with the decentralized+private+digital Monero trivium that I've made my avatar.   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 12:49:40 AM

What about the idea that poor ease-of-use serves as a deterrent to third party integrations and services?
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 12:54:56 AM

I suppose someone probably already posted this chart. I had never looked at the long-term Monero chart before:

https://www.tradingview.com/chart/XMRBTC/3QZ1D3nD-The-Monero-Bear-Market-Is-Over/

That is impressive. Monero has broken out of the down wedge, which is very technically bullish. But that doesn't mean it can't fall back first to the historic support at 0.0017 BTC. And if BTC falls to < $150 as I expect, then that could mean Monero declining significantly and still be in the bullish formation as Bitcoin makes its final bottom and we start a new bull market in crypto (I subscribe to the theory that BTC is still declining from 2013).

I do agree with the theory of a long term bear market in Bitcoin. I see this because of the following:
1) There is a widening chasm between the promise of Bitcoin,  a digital and fungible currency that can be used by anyone in the world to pay anyone in the world without the need of an intermediary and the reality a digital non fungible currency that can in practice only be used as a settlement layer between the intermediaries Bitcoin was supposed to replace under the promise.
2) The macro economic factors identified by Dent and Armstrong, namely a 30s type deflationary depression. What Dent got wrong is he failed to take into account the impact of the massive quantitative easing or money printing by the central banks since 2008. This would make a strong fiat currency such as USD attractive.

In the scenario above one would expect an overall bear market in crypto currency; however just as was the case during the 1930s with stocks there will be exceptions that buck the overall trend. Identifying the latter is where the real long term opportunities lie. Monero could very easily buck the trend since objectively it is very well placed to become the promise of Bitcoin. What this would point to for Monero is very strong long term prospects combined with extremely high short to medium term volatility and risk. My personal position is almost exclusively a combination of CAD and XMR with no debt. A convertible fiat other than USD can make sense where a person's expenses are denominated in that currency.

Based on the logic of my prior post, if you are comparing your opportunity cost to US dollars, I think you take some short-term profits on XMR. If you are using BTC as your unit-of-account, then HODL Monero.

Simple.

lolikop

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 01:01:40 AM

I just dont understand why Monero is still underpriced, it should be atleast 0.01 if not more
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 01:02:16 AM

Nice review. Very clear on how Trezor works and how it is integrated with Monero. The writeup also conveys pretty well how the Monero ecosystem is growing to include more devices, development efforts, and third party support.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2016, 01:09:31 AM

What about the idea that poor ease-of-use serves as a deterrent to third party integrations and services?

Exactly.  Integrating a highly technical, steep learning curve coin is a losing proposition for a firm if it creates a user support nightmare for their help desk.

The amount of customer hand-holding needed would destroy any possible profit.  That's probably why Polo hasn't added Decred.

Johnny doesn't seem to realize adding a coin with no GUI is basically volunteering to teach a potentially unlimited number of n00bz everything from Command Line 101 to the theory of functions, and how that all relates to RPC, daemons, etc.

Of course potential 3rd party integrators will tend to respond with the polite euphemism for "no way; not on your life; GTFO."   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 01:13:46 AM

A GUI is of critical importance for the next level of adoption.

I disagree. What incentive does anyone outside of our community have to run a full node with a GUI? How many Bitcoin users do you think still use QT?

Well btc has many options such as Armory, Electrum etc while Monero has very little although Trezor is coming.

Also it is my understanding that the Monero GUI is going to be kickass but I don't know how it compares to QT.

Bottom line is that the GUI is a very welcome addition.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 01:34:46 AM

Mobile is where it counts the most.  I know I failed on the Mycelium fork.  Sorry about that.  Got too busy, and my code monkey alternate bailed on me.  Maybe later, if it is still relevant.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
tifozi

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 01:52:04 AM

I just dont understand why Monero is still underpriced, it should be atleast 0.01 if not more

My theory is too many traders and not enough people who want to give it value by old fashioned HODLing. There is also that GUI thing because of which apparently some Hero Members feel uncomfortable giving it value aka dump when it rises and then back to speculation thread with charts saying it will go down.

With all the excitement coming in the near future wrt RingCT, HF for mixins etc (check dev log), relentless DB optimizations and of course GUI etc coming, there does need to be warning shots fired and a valuation at least twice the current levels be set as floor. But we have had the eyes of a lot of twitter traders who just keep posting about "take profits"/ "short XMR" etc with the slightest of rises throughout last 18 months. These guys are just pure noise makers and 99% of them are just flat out lying about making any profit most of the time, otherwise they would be posting screen shots of their trades. In this very thread you see some keep changing their stance so frequently. The problem is, the audience isn't vast like BTC to use this thread for manipulation and agenda. If only they could use that energy to spread positive info about XMR outside of bitcointalk  Wink
Pages: « 1 ... 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 [706] 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: