Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:12:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312332 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
child_harold

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 12:16:47 AM

1. Roughly how many XMR are currently sitting on Polo? (looking at polo im guessing a very high number)

2. Roughly what percentage of coins are secured by users themselves (i.e. on their own computers)?

3. Roughly how many XMR does mymonero hold? Looking at mymonero it says the user controls their private key. But can they back it up (i.e. the .dat or XMR equiv) in case the site gets hacked?

4. Roughly how many XMR are mined every day?

Thanks in advance.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 12:21:49 AM

1. How many XMR are currently sitting on Polo?

You'd have to ask polo. I doubt they will tell you though.

2. What percentage of coins are secured by users themselves?

Unknown

3. How many XMR does mymonero hold?

Also unknown.

Looking at mymonero it says the user controls their private key. But can they back it up in case the site gets hacked?

Users can back up their key by writing it down (or printing, taking a picture, storing in a file, etc., but writing is safest).

At least this one we can answer. About 18,000.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 12:28:15 AM

Probably about 500k on polo.  Less now than before, since I've been moving mine off this past week.  Stupid daily withdrawal limit.

Almost certainly > 80% are secured by users.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
child_harold

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 12:31:26 AM

1. How many XMR are currently sitting on Polo?

You'd have to ask polo. I doubt they will tell you though.

2. What percentage of coins are secured by users themselves?

Unknown

3. How many XMR does mymonero hold?

Also unknown.

Looking at mymonero it says the user controls their private key. But can they back it up in case the site gets hacked?

Users can back up their key by writing it down (or printing, taking a picture, storing in a file, etc., but writing is safest).

At least this one we can answer. About 18,000.

Thanks for the reply.

1. Dont get the bit about writing down ur private key. I'm accustomed to backing up a .dat file. If mymonero explodes or whatever and im left holding a piece of paper with some random words on it I'm not sure how I could recover my funds! Pls explain

2. More generally speaking has there ever been aired by members of the community concerns regarding centralization of XMR or difficulties in securing the coins on your own PC?

Thanks

smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 12:36:56 AM

1. Dont get the bit about writing down ur private key. I'm accustomed to backing up a .dat file. If mymonero explodes or whatever and im left holding a piece of paper with some random words on it I'm not sure how I could recover my funds! Pls explain

The standard (command line) wallet software has a function called "restore-deterministic wallet" that asks you for a list of words and restore the wallet from that. Unfortunately there is a small difference in the format of the words used by mymonero currently so this doesn't in fact work, but it will be fixed soon. In the event of a mymonero failure you can be sure it would be fixed in short order (by other community members even if not by the core team).

2. More generally speaking has there ever been aired by members of the community concerns regarding centralization of XMR or difficulties in securing the coins on your own PC?

Has there ever? Sure.

This is a matter of baby steps. In the couple of months we've seen mymonero and lightwallet added to the mix. More such user friendly solutions will follow, along with continued strengthening of the core technology. Mymonero really is far less centralized than exchanges though, so this is really not such a small baby step.

smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 12:39:03 AM

Stupid daily withdrawal limit.

I think you can ask support for a larger withdrawal. The daily limit is mostly because they keep many coins offline in cold storage and don't want the hot wallet to run out.
child_harold

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 12:49:31 AM
Last edit: December 29, 2014, 01:01:48 AM by child_harold

The standard (command line) wallet software has a function called "restore-deterministic wallet" that asks you for a list of words and restore the wallet from that. Unfortunately there is a small difference in the format of the words used by mymonero currently so this doesn't in fact work, but it will be fixed soon. In the event of a mymonero failure you can be sure it would be fixed in short order (by other community members even if not by the core team).

Fascinating. Never knew about this restore-deterministic wallet function. Really cool but is it as secure as having a password protected file on a thumb dive (something you know and something you have) versus simply something you know (the random words)? Brute forcing   restore-deterministic wallet passwords is mathematically almost impossible? I have unlimited guesses? I notice they are all dictionary words… I hope you have a good vocab Wink

Thanks for fielding these Q's
All the best

EDIT: or would i need to enter passphrase AND my address to recover funds?

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 01:02:49 AM

The Electrum wallet for btc also is a deterministic wallet that uses a 12 word seed.  Even if you know somebody is using Electrum or Monero and also know the word list, I think the Electrum list is public and I imagine Monero as well, the "seed" is unhackable. 
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 02:11:05 AM

Quoting this for child_harold, from Monero core dev fluffypony:

I just tried the new Monero 0.8.8.6-release. Maybe it's a stupid question but those "25 words" that can be used to recover access to my wallet seems to be generated from some predefined dictionary... so I'm wondering

(i) if I can choose my own set of 25 (imaginary) words, and
(ii) if a brute-force wordbook attack would be feasible in order to crack my wallet given that the predefined dictionary is surely finite.

In short, can I somehow turn this recovery-feature off to feel safer?

1. No

2. It's a 24 word seed + a single word checksum. This gives you a 256-byte key generated from a 1626-word word list (position relative to the previous word is important, and they're generated in sets of 3 - i.e. 32 bits per set). You'd need the world's computational power and then more time than our sun will exist.

lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 03:00:59 AM

XMR price pretty stable around 0.00178 for the past 3 hours...impressive that there wasn't a massive sell off quick profits.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
jehst

Activity: 798

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 03:08:15 AM

XMR price pretty stable around 0.00178 for the past 3 hours...impressive that there wasn't a massive sell off quick profits.

If people want to dump, they can. Maybe they're asleep.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
lyth0s
Legendary

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 03:40:47 AM

Of course. But they haven't dumped almost all day. I'd imagine they would have dumped before bed if they planned on doing it before the day's end. Now we have to wait until tomorrow to see what happens.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 04:16:40 AM
Last edit: December 29, 2014, 04:33:53 AM by ArticMine

In the US, you have Coinbase monitoring your transactions and cancelling accounts if you spend BTC at a gambling site, buy cannabis seeds, or do whatever is deemed unacceptable by the gov.

Is this true? If it is, are they just monitoring transactions out of Coinbase (Coinbase->dice) or further (Coinbase->wallet->dice)?

I can confirm with 100% certainly they monitor what you are doing and ask questions not just transactions out but also transactions in.

I don't know specifically what blockchain analysis they are doing, how far down the chain it goes, etc.

There are reports (which I can't confirm) of false positives on allegedly suspicious BTC activity which suggest they are looking more than one hop.

Ok, that should certainly be very good for XMR. There's something very wrong and evil in Coinbase's actions...two or three years ago, no one would have believed there will be something like this in the future. Sometimes I don't like the way bitcoin is developing.

Another angle on this is Operation Choke Point in the US. http://oversight.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Staff-Report-FDIC-and-Operation-Choke-Point-12-8-2014.pdf. Basically certain industries are being targeted for the denial of financial services by officials in the FIDC and the Department of Justice.
The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the primary federal regulator of over 4,500 banks, targeted legal industries. FDIC equated legitimate and regulated activities such as coin dealers and firearms and ammunition sales with inherently pernicious or patently illegal activities such as Ponzi schemes, debt consolidation scams, and drug paraphernalia.
Coinbase's actions are hardly surprising in this context. The opportunity this creates for crypto currency in general and XMR in particular becomes clear when one understands the power of the gun lobby in the United States for example.

Edit: Here is an interesting video on the subject. http://overlawyered.com/2014/12/operation-choke-point-hits-ammunition-company-maryland/

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
lyth0s
Legendary

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 04:30:14 AM

In the US, you have Coinbase monitoring your transactions and cancelling accounts if you spend BTC at a gambling site, buy cannabis seeds, or do whatever is deemed unacceptable by the gov.

Is this true? If it is, are they just monitoring transactions out of Coinbase (Coinbase->dice) or further (Coinbase->wallet->dice)?

I can confirm with 100% certainly they monitor what you are doing and ask questions not just transactions out but also transactions in.

I don't know specifically what blockchain analysis they are doing, how far down the chain it goes, etc.

There are reports (which I can't confirm) of false positives on allegedly suspicious BTC activity which suggest they are looking more than one hop.

Ok, that should certainly be very good for XMR. There's something very wrong and evil in Coinbase's actions...two or three years ago, no one would have believed there will be something like this in the future. Sometimes I don't like the way bitcoin is developing.

Another angle on this is Operation Choke Point in the US. http://oversight.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Staff-Report-FDIC-and-Operation-Choke-Point-12-8-20. Basically certain industries are being targeted for the denial of financial services by officials in the FIDC and the Department of Justice.
The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the primary federal regulator of over 4,500 banks, targeted legal industries. FDIC equated legitimate and regulated activities such as coin dealers and firearms and ammunition sales with inherently pernicious or patently illegal activities such as Ponzi schemes, debt consolidation scams, and drug paraphernalia.
Coinbase's actions are hardly surprising in this context. The opportunity this creates for crypto currency in general and XMR in particular becomes clear when one understands the power of the gun lobby in the United States for example.

Edit: Here is an interesting video on the subject. http://overlawyered.com/2014/12/operation-choke-point-hits-ammunition-company-maryland/

Your first link no longer exists 404, do you have a copy of the original?

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 04:35:16 AM

Your first link no longer exists 404, do you have a copy of the original?

Corrected in the post and below. http://oversight.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Staff-Report-FDIC-and-Operation-Choke-Point-12-8-2014.pdf Thanks.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
lyth0s
Legendary

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 05:36:51 AM

Another angle on this is Operation Choke Point in the US. http://oversight.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Staff-Report-FDIC-and-Operation-Choke-Point-12-8-2014.pdf. Basically certain industries are being targeted for the denial of financial services by officials in the FIDC and the Department of Justice.

Thanks! Added a quick write up here. Also included Monero as a payment alternative Cheesy
http://www.geekcipher.com/featured/fdic-operation-choke-point-could-bitcoin-be-the-answer/

smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 07:29:22 AM

EDIT: or would i need to enter passphrase AND my address to recover funds?

saddambitcoin quoted a correct answer to the rest of your questions but in response to this one the answer is no. You need just the seed words. The address is derived from those.

tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 1405

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 07:39:23 AM

Of course. But they haven't dumped almost all day. I'd imagine they would have dumped before bed if they planned on doing it before the day's end. Now we have to wait until tomorrow to see what happens.

why not hold for now instead, and sell later for a much better price? 

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
restless
Legendary

Activity: 1151
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 08:01:11 AM

I haven't paid attention recently - whats the reasoning behind this last small pump?
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 08:01:24 AM

I want to elaborate a bit on the comment on Monero I made on October 3, 2014. At that time, Monero traded at 0.00315 BTC and then dropped by -71.11% to 0.00091 BTC. XMR is still down -44.44% from October 3.

This is what I said back then:
"...There is no big enough reason that XMR outperforms these other assets yet. XMR would need much more awareness and traction to make it outperform."

This is still true in general.  Currently, Monero is #17 in terms of market capitalization.

I am not the expert on cryptocurrency technicalities. I have heard that Monero seems to have some advantages over bitcoin. But to make this hold and manifest, much more awareness is needed.
Even if Monero would be as good or even better than the other altcoins, just because it was not one of the first, it needs much more effort to overtake them..

David Latapie mentioned to me the latest initiatives (new wallet, marketing task force), which I think is going into the right direction.
The recent price rally could be the first inidication that things change for the good for Monero.
It will be exciting to watch and bullbearanalytics will continue to cover Monero.

[/color]

Pages: « 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: