Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:39:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 129 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Cairnsmore1 - Quad XC6SLX150 Board  (Read 286362 times)
ebereon

Activity: 397
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 11:45:26 AM

Got my first board! Shipped on friday and arrived today in germany, that's really fast!

Nice packaging:

Running, but no work (no software, bitstream etc.):   Undecided

I really have no idea how i get the icarus bitstream (only 2 of 4 cores) to work with that piece of hardware.

Is there any step by step howto to get this baby hashing at the moment?

Thanks to yohan and his team, this board looks really professional!

Some more photos -> http://www.wuala.com/ebereon/Shared/bitcoin/

regards,
eb

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gyverlb

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 11:59:55 AM

Want !

Hope the multiple boards purchases will begin soon after these single board deliveries.

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
Chefnet

Activity: 686

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 01:35:22 PM

my one will arrive today (also germany). @ yohan can you give a feadback how we get icarus stream working or your basic one?

fpf

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 02:15:22 PM

As I know there is no official bitstream available for that board.
But there are a few things you & others should know:

This board is arranged as a "double icarus"

What you need to know about icarus:

Over the USB uart the work will be sent to the primary uart of chip1 (B1 and D1) and than be forwarded over the secondary uart of chip1 (B22 and D22) to the primary uart of chip2  (B1 and D1)

Each Spartan chip does half of the range which is set over the dip switch connected to the chip
(by default all are "off" - you will have to switch position 2 of the dip switch to on - for one of the 2 chips, so that each of them got their own range)

The clock input for the icarus bitstream is 100 MHZ. (You will have to set that over some dip switches on the enterpoint board as I know, should be the one near to the CPLD)

Right now - the forwarding to the second FPGA of each pair does not work with the out of the box bitstream because they made a mistake so that the 2 inputs and the 2 outputs are connected together. The only fix for that would be a modified bitstream.

They use a FTDI quad uart chip - as I know the schematic for that board is not public. I assume 2 of those uarts are correctly connected to the first FPGA of each pair. Where the other 2 uarts are connected to is unknown right now. (Most likely all of those pins are forwarded over the CPLD... in this case there is another solution, you could connect each FPGA directly to an uart and use the original icarus bitstream) That they do only half the range - does not matter in terms of performance.

Phil
yohan (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 04:49:44 PM

Just to clarify we are currently working with an Icarus style design that we have rebuilt to accomodate the pinout mistake on the downstream port. We are currently playing with several versions to try and get performance improved. We are migrating to a version of this where the link actually goes through the controller allowing many different variations of what we might do.

We are looking at other possibilities as well,
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 05:13:32 PM

Just to clarify we are currently working with an Icarus style design that we have rebuilt to accomodate the pinout mistake on the downstream port. We are currently playing with several versions to try and get performance improved. We are migrating to a version of this where the link actually goes through the controller allowing many different variations of what we might do.

We are looking at other possibilities as well,

Not sure if I have asked this here before but have you submited you pinout and specs to eldentyrell yet to see if he can get his bitstream running on these?

Just paid for my first one yesterday and it shipped out first thing this morning via express DHL. rock on!

cheers,
 Derek

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
norulezapply

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 05:35:18 PM

I really have no idea how i get the icarus bitstream (only 2 of 4 cores) to work with that piece of hardware.

regards,
eb

I'd really like to know this also.

I'm getting 4 orange lights on the FPGAs and 1 red flashing light.

I assume I need to wait for a bitstream update or drivers?

When I tried it on Windows it just said no driver found and cgminer wouldn't detect it.

Tried it on my Raspberry Pi too, didn't detect it either.

Any help would be great!
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 05:39:58 PM

regards,
eb

When I tried it on Windows it just said no driver found and cgminer wouldn't detect it.

Any help would be great!

Did you guys request the early dev boards? Also, do you have a jtag cable?
norulezapply

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 05:56:16 PM

regards,
eb

Any help would be great!

No, I just pre-ordered really early.

And no because the USB programmer should be working now, just no software is available yet by the looks of things.
ebereon

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 06:00:17 PM

No and no ;P

I just preordered and being asked by enterpoint if I want 1 board. They only got 50 to ship. So.. I said - sure I want 1 board. That's all.
Now, I have 1 board and at the moment it's a better paperweight for me =oD

But installing ISE atm and then i will try to get the icarus bitstream at it..
ebereon

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 06:10:15 PM

But i'm a newbie at all this, so i don't know if that will work and how ;P
DILLIGAF

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 06:20:39 PM

No and no ;P

I just preordered and being asked by enterpoint if I want 1 board. They only got 50 to ship. So.. I said - sure I want 1 board. That's all.

Then you missed the part where they said the early boards were for people comfortable with doing exactly what you need to do to get it working right now.
norulezapply

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 06:27:05 PM

No and no ;P

Then you missed the part where they said the early boards were for people comfortable with doing exactly what you need to do to get it working right now.

No need to be elitist man...

Maybe he is comfortable and just doesn't know where to start? I contacted them and they said they were releasing the cgminer extensions and other software either tonight or tomorrow to get things going.
roomservice

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 06:38:14 PM

Just received my cairnsmore1 - first impression is simply awesome!!!

I'am already amazed from the cooling and fan design. Fan noise is almost non-existing compared to Ztex stock fan or really noisy BFL Single.

Really looking forward for upcomming bitstream release Smiley

"Tonight's the night. And it's going to happen again, and again. It has to happen. Nice night."
Chefnet

Activity: 686

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 06:54:10 PM

no I want not a dev board.

dirtycat

Activity: 456
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 08:09:11 PM

I love how all these noobs are ordering these things and trying to mine when there is no bitstream available.. YET!

EDIT: on a side note.. cant wait till there is a stream avail.. will def be ordering

poop!
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 08:14:36 PM

ordering these things and trying to mine when there is no bitstream

A good investor knows how to spot euphoria. This is a perfect sign that supply of Bitcoin is about to tighten while demand stays relatively the same. We might be in for another bubble, which would indicate a wiser investment would be to buy coin right now.
hm

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 08:24:28 PM

Today, I received my first pre-order unit after accepting the offer of getting one of the first 50 boards. I received a board that is loaded with initial firmware - this is apparently no dev board. I suppose there is no need to use jtag cable for upgrading firmware on the first 50 boards (as announced by John), as long as you can wait for the official firmware release.

I am very pleased with the board I received. Good packaging and the board looks nice. Right now I am looking for a case, perhaps I'll put the board into the case of a very old, oversized AT psu.

Have fun.

edit:
@yohan: Thanks to you and your colleagues. I suppose there will be documentation for the board at some later time, describing all the connectors and dip switches in detail?
dirtycat

Activity: 456
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 08:30:07 PM

ordering these things and trying to mine when there is no bitstream

A good investor knows how to spot euphoria. This is a perfect sign that supply of Bitcoin is about to tighten while demand stays relatively the same. We might be in for another bubble, which would indicate a wiser investment would be to buy coin right now.

I couldnt agree more!

poop!
norulezapply

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 08:31:24 PM

I love how all these noobs are ordering these things and trying to mine when there is no bitstream available.. YET!

EDIT: on a side note.. cant wait till there is a stream avail.. will def be ordering

Atleast I have my board set up and waiting now. A working bitstream will be ready in a couple of days. Have fun waiting til October for shipping... Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 129 »
  Print  

Jump to: