Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:59:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1745 1746 1747 1748 1749 1750 1751 1752 1753 1754 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 [1795] 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 ... 2248 »
  Print  
Author Topic: KanoPool since 2014 🐈 - PPLNS and Solo 0.5% fee - Worldwide - 2436 blocks  (Read 5350289 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (50 posts by 3+ users deleted.)
Pecker

Activity: 74
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 12:18:30 AM

Help with fan speed on Antminer S9

I have 4 S9's that run smooth and you hardly ever hear the fans on any of them speed up or slow down.. (some with auot freq, some without)

I have another used S9 miner I am installing, everything is great, except the fan speeds up and slows down every 15 to 20 seconds, slow, fast, slow, fast..

Any thoughts or ideas on why this is happening and what I can do?

There was a post on bitcoin forum about editing the fan speed thru HTML and I tried that...set the fan speed to 70% (according to the kernel) and it is still doing it...

Really, really annoying...  There has to be a workaround somehow...  How can some do it and some not?

Looking for any thoughts or ideas that might help...

Thank You!

Mine On Dude!!

Try to change the controller for a new one, that should solve it.  Smiley

Ok so I got a new controller board for S9 and installed it on the machine...

The old controller board would hash for about 15 minutes and then quit hashing..It was the same S9 with the fan racing up and down about every 10 to 15 seconds.  SO I unplugged it until the new controller board go there.

As I mentioned none of my other S9 miners do anything like this...

So with the new controller board it is mining but the fans are still revvingn up and down every 10 to 15 seconds.  And I mean a lot...very noticeable and noisy.

see the fan speeds below... all over the place... see the image (if it shows up) I hope.

Also what s9 parts would you recommend having on hand at all times (extra controller boards and fans)??

Any help would be appreciated and Thank You!  These miners are frustrating at times...

Would it help to update new firmware.  Is the front (exhaust fan) always the white connector on the farthest outside of the miner? 

https://imgur.com/a/F5lkO

This is hardly advice, but if it were mine, I would first update the firmware ---> swap fans ---> then change controller. What does your worker graph look like? Are you dropping any hash at all or is it isolated to the fan? That 30K rpm reading is obviously an error in which I personally would try those steps in that order. I'm still trying to figure these things out myself, though I've had success in swapping fans with funky readings.

Thanks guys for the advise... At this point I am willing to anything... 

Updating firmware now...

Will try to swap a fan from another unit...

Are the input and exhaust fans different if I order some from ebay?  How do you tell?  Are they different part numbers?

Already had changed the controller board..

Thanks... will let you know shortly

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jeremiah1610

Activity: 56

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 12:28:23 AM

Look at those temps, 80+. That is your problem, your room is way too hot.
Pecker

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 12:44:58 AM

Thanks for the info...

But I've got 5 other miner running anywhere from 75 to 100 degrees and everywhere in between...

Different people have told me different things on the temperature.. but I know at least one said they run up to 105...

I am in a completely controlled air cooled environment that stays at 70 degrees year round (underground cave)..

I have fans blowing to move air as well...

Changed both fans from another working unit and still doing the same thing...sometimes shows both fans, sometime one fan and rpms from fans are allover the place..

Very strange...Any other ideas?

https://imgur.com/a/1Fd9h
perfectplus174

Activity: 168
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 01:02:30 AM

Thanks for the info...

But I've got 5 other miner running anywhere from 75 to 100 degrees and everywhere in between...

Different people have told me different things on the temperature.. but I know at least one said they run up to 105...

I am in a completely controlled air cooled environment that stays at 70 degrees year round (underground cave)..

Changed both fans from another working unit and still doing the same thing...sometimes shows both fans, sometime one fan and rpms from fans are allover the place..

These images posted are not all of the same S9 are they?

Nothing happens until something moves.

MINE ON WITH KANO........except DPoS2
Shazam!!!

Activity: 350
Merit: 158

#takeminingback

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2018, 01:35:38 AM

I think we all need to look at all the reasons to mine. Most are mining to make money. We should also mine to support the network and keep it healthy. The large mining pools provide a somewhat consistent payout but take a bigger piece of the pie than t he smaller pools like Kano. The large pools do not help keep the hashing power distributed and the network secure. We need miners distributed across the network more evenly to support the network. This Bitcoin world is managed by miner decisions and with the recent influx we have a whole lot of people who do not understand that. My hope is that the mining world would smarten up a bit and that we do not self destruct.

Any miner that wants to continue mining into the future should be mining on a pool that has less than 10% of the network hash. At least it would be a good start.

Mine on.

This. More of this, is exactly what OUR COMMUNITY needs!!! A little bit of "promoting" could seriously go a long way.
There are many like minded individuals out there, we just need to get "pooled" together!!!

Click these links to learn some truth about Big Corporate mining pools stealing your money and centralizing BTCitcoin!!!
Help support the BTCitcoin community!!! Mine your BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool!!! BTC: 1ShazamjsPnpWDNnk3n2tAiKGMdXaSjay
I mine BTCitcoin at a non-Corporate pool with no hidden fees, no empty BTClocks: Kano Pool   ■ get Kano Pool signature banners here ■
akadamson

Activity: 140
Merit: 18

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 01:57:24 AM

Well, I give up... The Android App doesn't send me a new Block notice, the other web based tool doesn't send me a new block notice.  Seems nothing does.   So I just decided to fix it myself.

I created a little perl script that reads the pool API and when a block change happens it will send me a pushover notification!... Problem solved.

I don't know how fast is *too fast* to ping the API, so I've slowed that way down for now. (2 mins would be min notification time).  I use Pushover for a bunch of other things and it's easy enough to use so TADA

I did make the little pushover app subscribable.  I want to run it for a block or 2 (my incentive to make them happen quickly), just make sure it works ok.  If so, and there are others interested, let me know and I can provide the Pushover subscribe link.

yeah, maybe now I'll get a notification of a new block found!
Pecker

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 01:59:11 AM

Thanks for the info...

yes these are all from the same S9 machine

trying different things... fans are all over the place..speeds up and down...sometimes only 1 fan shows up at all...

switched out fans, put in new control board...Updated to Nov 2017 firmware.  Would any other version of firmware take care of something like this?   It is a 13.5 s9 Antminer.   It is at least running now and hashing...

before it would run 10 minutes and quit hashing... but the fans were revving up and down every 15 seconds...

It is running now, still revving up and down, but for now I can live with it till I get some more new ideas...

I bought this one off ebay and of course they showed the hashing on a piece of paper, but probably after only after a few minutes...

I suspect it has had this problem all along...  

I got suckered again I guess...

Any other ideas or thoughts would be apprecated...

Thanks to all!

GH

badger88

Activity: 83

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 02:27:25 AM

Thanks for the info...

yes these are all from the same S9 machine

trying different things... fans are all over the place..speeds up and down...sometimes only 1 fan shows up at all...

switched out fans, put in new control board...Updated to Nov 2017 firmware.  Would any other version of firmware take care of something like this?   It is a 13.5 s9 Antminer.   It is at least running now and hashing...

before it would run 10 minutes and quit hashing... but the fans were revving up and down every 15 seconds...

It is running now, still revving up and down, but for now I can live with it till I get some more new ideas...

I bought this one off ebay and of course they showed the hashing on a piece of paper, but probably after only after a few minutes...

I suspect it has had this problem all along...  

I got suckered again I guess...

Any other ideas or thoughts would be apprecated...

Thanks to all!

GH

The fans are SUPPOSED to cool the hashboards... its working exactly how its supposed to ?

The fan revs up speed because boards are TOO HOT.... as mentioned Cool
Jeremiah1610

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 04:09:28 AM

You need air temp to be 65 or cooler, really 60 if you want to keep them under 6k rpm. Your machines are fine, it is your environment that is the problem.
A.Delaney

Activity: 266
Merit: 13

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 04:24:48 AM

Yes but why would the fan show it’s running 30k rpm if everything’s is fine? My S9’s ramp up and down. One between 5-6k and the other between 4-5k. Temps are mid 70’s. I don’t think that fan can even spin that high. It has to be a false reading and that would explain why it stops hashing.

Peck. What psu are you using? Have you tried a different one?
kano (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 09:50:01 AM

Kano, now that you're awake, can you also add a to-do for higher precision percentages amongst the website pages?

Four decimal places would be great since I notice some places it gets rounded to three or even two decimal places.

Thanks, and great work on everything else!
Oh - awake again Smiley
Well I guess so.
Anyway, I've put it on the todo list to look into it.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
kano (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 10:05:29 AM

I think he's just going on the .9% fee, as that is all that kano makes besides his own miners. 
And I have heard directly from Kano that he does not run his miners unless he needs his house warmed up.  All of my discussions with him demonstrates that his primary mission for this site is the heath and future of bitcoin.  And yes, he probably does all right with the fees too - although having close to a dozen servers around the world is also not free.
Heh - there's a lot more than a dozen Smiley

This month I've been spending a lot of BTC on getting the hash rate up ... it's working ... and I'm losing lotsa BTC Cheesy

I've come up with another idea about throwing more BTC at getting the hash rate up - targeted directly at large miners - since we need a number of miners in the 5-10+ PHs range.
Once the accounting is done and verified all OK, I'll sort that idea out.

Of course all this BTC I'm 'throwing away' is BTC I've got from the pool fee, so no better use I can think of it!
... other than paying for servers and so I can survive ... and anime Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
shadowelite

Activity: 97

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 10:35:48 AM

What do you guys think of the antminer r4? Thinking about buying two from usa (im uk) and running them on kano pool

Is it worth the investment?
I know s9 will have a better watt/th ratio but these will be run at home were i have to pay electric
My other miners i run at work were i dont pay
Also do u guys know any reputable company's that stock the r4 and ship uk?
My biggest problem is the import tax Sad
BTfd2e93

Activity: 30

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 11:19:56 AM

What do you guys think of the antminer r4? Thinking about buying two from usa (im uk) and running them on kano pool

I know s9 will have a better watt/th ratio but these will be run at home were i have to pay electric

depends on your circuit breaker config at home. 
1x S9 draws 12A at 110V or 6.2A at 220V which gives you 13.5TH

1x R4 draws 7.7A at 110V or 3.9A at 220V which gives you 8TH

S9 is the most efficient miner ... so if you have the amperage availability - S9 is the choice. (noise & consumption aside).  Especially since S9 prices have stabilized recently.

If you have power outlet limitations from a current perspective, then R4 is feasible.  Just note you are sacrificing efficiency & cost, for convenience of fitting in with your home breaker config.

shadowelite

Activity: 97

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 12:03:18 PM

depends on your circuit breaker config at home. 
1x S9 draws 12A at 110V or 6.2A at 220V which gives you 13.5TH

1x R4 draws 7.7A at 110V or 3.9A at 220V which gives you 8TH

S9 is the most efficient miner ... so if you have the amperage availability - S9 is the choice. (noise & consumption aside).  Especially since S9 prices have stabilized recently.

If you have power outlet limitations from a current perspective, then R4 is feasible.  Just note you are sacrificing efficiency & cost, for convenience of fitting in with your home breaker config.

220v mate
minergain.com

Activity: 285
Merit: 10

Free mining equipment tracking and reporting

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2018, 03:04:53 PM

Well, I give up... The Android App doesn't send me a new Block notice, the other web based tool doesn't send me a new block notice.  Seems nothing does.   So I just decided to fix it myself.

I created a little perl script that reads the pool API and when a block change happens it will send me a pushover notification!... Problem solved.

I don't know how fast is *too fast* to ping the API, so I've slowed that way down for now. (2 mins would be min notification time).  I use Pushover for a bunch of other things and it's easy enough to use so TADA

I did make the little pushover app subscribable.  I want to run it for a block or 2 (my incentive to make them happen quickly), just make sure it works ok.  If so, and there are others interested, let me know and I can provide the Pushover subscribe link.

yeah, maybe now I'll get a notification of a new block found!
I too built minergain.com for this exact purpose - plus a whole lot more (including tax prep needs and eventually wallet valuation) since I mine on multiple pools.  I am checking with the kano home page every minute and when it changes and the immediate notification is set, it sends right away.  I am thinking I will change it a little bit so that I can also get the payment amount on the email as well - but it may delay the notification by another 10 to 30 seconds.  Not sure what kind fo information people would like to see on the notification email / text.

www.minergain.com - Free miner equipment tracking and reporting
Mike is a tiny miner: 8 S9, 1 D3, 6 RX470
I mine at Kano Pool, for better BTC Profits!
Jeremiah1610

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 04:48:02 PM

I have no problems with the android app. Running fine on s7 edge.
Thrash

Activity: 519
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 04:58:24 PM

I have no problems with the android app. Running fine on s7 edge.

Same here. Notifications are not instant but within a couple of minutes.
Yrth

Activity: 123
Merit: 21

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 05:42:17 PM

I would stay away from the R4. I have two of them and both lost 1 board. One after a few hours and one after 6 months. If you read the R4 thread, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1597639.0 its full of similar stories.

Unless you just want a space heater, or they are super cheap, I would buy something else.
sruyle

Activity: 65

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 05:48:31 PM

I have free internet where I live. I have never bothered having my own service hooked up because of that. It has worked perfectly for netflix and such. However, with mining, I see that my miners are bouncing back and forth between this pool and my backup alot. and I am running 4% stales. That is alot of hash thrown away.  I guess I need to get a connection of my own after all.
Pages: « 1 ... 1745 1746 1747 1748 1749 1750 1751 1752 1753 1754 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759 1760 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 [1795] 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 1811 1812 1813 1814 1815 1816 1817 1818 1819 1820 1821 1822 1823 1824 1825 1826 1827 1828 1829 1830 1831 1832 1833 1834 1835 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 1843 1844 1845 ... 2248 »
  Print  

Jump to: