Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:15:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 ... 1240 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CCminer(SP-MOD) Modded GPU kernels.  (Read 2347501 times)
chrysophylax
Legendary

Activity: 2828
Merit: 1091

--- ChainWorks Industries ---

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 02:55:44 AM

Thanks sambiohazard. I wanted to know how I was doing. Not sure what a 6pin is? I have this one OCed and am using the switches. Guess I'm running good. I do get 6.4 but, once in a while, it crashes the driver. Pretty cool tho, MinerControl keeps going. Of course, you only mine at ~1/5th of the hash.

Thanks again

edit; musta missed something. Don't think those last 2 posts were meant for me. I don't think...

by 6 pin i meant the PCIe power connector that feeds additional power to the card, w/o it & with stock BIOS my card only uses 45W and is throttled after that. So i get low hashrate. Although i am fine with it. I guess with high temps i wouldn't want to push cards too much. hash/watt remain good.
My 750ti won't run without  the 6 pin connector. 

yup - the powered ones NEED the connector ...

the lp versions dont have one at all ...

#crysx

sp_ (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1087

Team Black developer

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 07:02:22 AM

The GTX 750 has a tdp of just 38 watt. Many of the early 750ti's had the same limitation Some cards are hashing at fullspeed @40watt.

Team Black Miner (ETHB3 ETH ETC VTC KAWPOW FIROPOW MEOWPOW + dual mining + tripple mining.. https://github.com/sp-hash/TeamBlackMiner
sp_ (OP)
Legendary

Team Black developer

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 07:05:33 AM

"stock clocks" varies from one brand/version of card to another.

But you can always overclock your cards.

I want to make it possible to overclock over the commandline as a parameter.
The 750ti's has sweat spots gpuspeed/memspead that will improve the hashrate.

Team Black Miner (ETHB3 ETH ETC VTC KAWPOW FIROPOW MEOWPOW + dual mining + tripple mining.. https://github.com/sp-hash/TeamBlackMiner
bensam1231
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1024

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 07:06:08 AM

Why the new account? Did your old one finally get banned?

No, the password was compromised, but it's back in my hands now. Lots of random posts on it so I just use my new one.

hehehe...Guys...too funny, but true.

Now that ccminer is supposed to report a little truer hashrate, what kind of speed is everyone getting for a single 750Ti mining quark? Not  that important...just curious. I show around 6.3+Mgh miner side. Also, I'm using MinerControl (finally) and want to know if the version of ccminer that comes with it has been changed just for that program or is it 'stock'?

Thank you

GREAT job sp and friends!!

Damn. With 280X doing 11.4MH/s on Quark, it's not quite good enough. Need to up that.

Yeah and at 250w. I should've switched to maxwell when it first came out, but no one knew bitcoin was going to bottom out.

these devs are doing awesome jobs - and if they help us mine better - they deserve to do deals ...

You missed the part where some of them sold custom private builds behind the scenes (last fall) to big miners without telling anyone they were doing that for a few months and made everyone with pub miners obsolete, forcing them out of the market. I suppose sucking up is a good way of getting those out of them though (not talking about sp btw). It's good to see them practicing more professionally now days.

Also mining is like a pie, mining with a better kernel doesn't mean more income if everyone is using the same miner. When everyone is on the same build, you're mining exactly the same amount as someone else. When a build is updated with higher hash speeds, everyone upgrades and you get 'more coins' for a little bit until everyone gets on the same build again. So you essentially take coins from someone with a crappier kernel (all else being equal). You can't 'get ahead' unless you're using a private build that isn't distributed to everyone else, which has happened in the past as I mentioned.

The poor density of the 750 Ti (having to buy more mobo/cpu/memory) is probably being offset by having to spend on a bigger PSU on a 970 rig. Unless you use multiple power supplies per rig but I'm not a big fan of that.

Yeah, I agree.
I am currently running two PSU's and I just ordered a bigger (850W) PSU to replace them both in my machine. It should be more efficient and stable, as the two ~500W PSU's I have are really struggling to provide enough stable current on the +12V rails.

I determined that they are lacking because the newer, faster versions (V44 and up) of sp_mod-ccminer really tax the +12V rails of these weaker, cheaper PSU's.

The 850W PSU that I ordered can push 70 Amps to a single +12V rail, so I hope to be pleased with its performance and stability.

Yeah, 750tis take a lot of space, even if they're slightly better, which is why I never bought any. I'm currently using 970s. 980s are just a waste of money as they're too expensive for the little bit extra performance they offers (much like the 290 vs 290x back in the day).

Is this also true for the 970 and memory speed? I know AMD cards had a good spot for memory with scrypt, but it didn't matter so much for other algos. Also does efficiency go up or down by moving to that spot?

Curiously what happens to 970 or 750 power efficiency when you OC them a bit? Do they lose a lot of efficiency or does it only go out of spec with additional voltage?

I buy private Nvidia miners. Send information and/or inquiries to my PM box.
chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 07:10:13 AM

that would be great ...

would it be possible to have fine grained control of gpuclock and memclock ( like that in sgminer ) ? ...

#crysx

sp_ (OP)
Legendary

Team Black developer

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 07:18:27 AM

that would be great ...
would it be possible to have fine grained control of gpuclock and memclock ( like that in sgminer ) ? ...
#crysx

Yes. This is the plan. --gpu-memspeed and --gpu-memclock. The NVIDIA API supports this, just need to code it. But the miner will need elevated rights..

The gigabyte cards you have with a 6 pins adapter will run x11 up to 3,4 MHASH with overclocking. but the powerusage will increase around 15W

chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 07:21:08 AM

Why the new account? Did your old one finally get banned?

No, the password was compromised, but it's back in my hands now. Lots of random posts on it so I just use my new one.

hehehe...Guys...too funny, but true.

Now that ccminer is supposed to report a little truer hashrate, what kind of speed is everyone getting for a single 750Ti mining quark? Not  that important...just curious. I show around 6.3+Mgh miner side. Also, I'm using MinerControl (finally) and want to know if the version of ccminer that comes with it has been changed just for that program or is it 'stock'?

Thank you

GREAT job sp and friends!!

Damn. With 280X doing 11.4MH/s on Quark, it's not quite good enough. Need to up that.

Yeah and at 250w. I should've switched to maxwell when it first came out, but no one knew bitcoin was going to bottom out.

these devs are doing awesome jobs - and if they help us mine better - they deserve to do deals ...

You missed the part where some of them sold custom private builds behind the scenes (last fall) to big miners without telling anyone they were doing that for a few months and made everyone with pub miners obsolete, forcing them out of the market. I suppose sucking up is a good way of getting those out of them though (not talking about sp btw). It's good to see them practicing more professionally now days.

Also mining is like a pie, mining with a better kernel doesn't mean more income if everyone is using the same miner. When everyone is on the same build, you're mining exactly the same amount as someone else. When a build is updated with higher hash speeds, everyone upgrades and you get 'more coins' for a little bit until everyone gets on the same build again. So you essentially take coins from someone with a crappier kernel (all else being equal). You can't 'get ahead' unless you're using a private build that isn't distributed to everyone else, which has happened in the past as I mentioned.

The poor density of the 750 Ti (having to buy more mobo/cpu/memory) is probably being offset by having to spend on a bigger PSU on a 970 rig. Unless you use multiple power supplies per rig but I'm not a big fan of that.

Yeah, I agree.
I am currently running two PSU's and I just ordered a bigger (850W) PSU to replace them both in my machine. It should be more efficient and stable, as the two ~500W PSU's I have are really struggling to provide enough stable current on the +12V rails.

I determined that they are lacking because the newer, faster versions (V44 and up) of sp_mod-ccminer really tax the +12V rails of these weaker, cheaper PSU's.

The 850W PSU that I ordered can push 70 Amps to a single +12V rail, so I hope to be pleased with its performance and stability.

Yeah, 750tis take a lot of space, even if they're slightly better, which is why I never bought any. I'm currently using 970s. 980s are just a waste of money as they're too expensive for the little bit extra performance they offers (much like the 290 vs 290x back in the day).

Is this also true for the 970 and memory speed? I know AMD cards had a good spot for memory with scrypt, but it didn't matter so much for other algos. Also does efficiency go up or down by moving to that spot?

Curiously what happens to 970 or 750 power efficiency when you OC them a bit? Do they lose a lot of efficiency or does it only go out of spec with additional voltage?

absolutely amazing bensam ...

only a twat like you would say im sucking up ...

i have paid for ALL the private miners that i have - ALL of them ...

i used to code when i was in uni - and that is something i wish i continued ...

however - an imbecile is an imbecile is an imbecile ... so no matter WHAT happens - you will always find a way to poke and prod ... so on the 'bullshit twat' list you go ... no more garbage from you - thank God ...

these devs ( INCLUDING sp ) are ALL trying to make money - ALL of them ... this is why the devs ( INCLUDING sp ) SELL their private miners to people who MINE - not just farms - who are WILLING to pay the price for the miners ...

your drivel is nothing more than an attack on those that are actually trying to make a difference AND some money along the way - there is no 'sucking up' in saying what i have - you imbecile ( yes - look up that word for the exact definition OR look in the mirror - your choice ) ...

you cry and cry and cry - and yet have almost nothing constructive to say ...

the day you actually stop your drivel - you may just have something worth listening to ...

sucking up! ... pffft ... had i the cashflow - i would EMPLOY these amazing devs on salaries someone like you could only dream of ...

and you would STILL bitch about them ...

im done with you - and your bullshit ...

and im sure im not the only one ...

#crysx

chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 07:25:43 AM

that would be great ...
#crysx

Yes. This is the plan. --gpu-memspeed and --gpu-memclock. The NVIDIA API supports this, just need to code it. But the miner will need elevated rights..

The gigabyte cards you have with a 6 pins adapter will run x11 up to 3,4 MHASH with overclocking. but the powerusage will increase around 15W

that would be fantastic sp ...

there are only about 16 of the powered ones ... the rest are non-powered ...

but if the control is within the commandline - that would give us such a massive boost ...

tanx again ...

reading the pm now ...

#crysx

sp_ (OP)
Legendary

Team Black developer

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 07:44:43 AM

It is also possible to mod the kernals so that they use less power...

Look at my whirlpoolx mod. The Threads per block was reduced from 1024 to 512, and instead I computed more than one hash per thread.
When I reduced the number of threads, I got  a lower power consumption and a higher hashrate...

pallas
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094

Black Belt Developer

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 07:57:44 AM

Look at my whirlpoolx mod. The Threads per block was reduced from 1024 to 512, and instead I computed more than one hash per thread.
When I reduced the number of threads, I got  a lower power consumption and a higher hashrate...

doing that with sgminer is not trivial.
maybe with a custom miner ;-)

chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 08:10:10 AM

I'm working on it!

wolf - pm'd you ...

#crysx

sp_ (OP)
Legendary

Team Black developer

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 08:25:01 AM

I'm working on it!

My Whirlpoolx implementation runs at around 0.5watt per MHASH on the 750ti.  (40Watt/80MHASH)
If smolen's smelter miner does 600MHASH with 300watt this meens that my slow AES implementation is as fast if you measure POWER/HASHRATE

sambiohazard

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 08:34:10 AM

@wolf0

I think this community needs you, and some might pay you also.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=727023.msg11362643#msg11362643
sp_ (OP)
Legendary

Team Black developer

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 08:34:14 AM

The Non powered ti's actually has a TDP of just 38.5 Watt in the bios. But this can be changed to 60 watt. The increase in watt doesn't increase the hashrate though. Without overclocking, you only waste more power...

http://cryptomining-blog.com/1014-how-to-increase-the-geforce-gtx-750-ti-power-target-limit/

rednoW
Legendary

Activity: 1510
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 08:53:54 AM

The Non powered ti's actually has a TDP of just 38.5 Watt in the bios. But this can be changed to 60 watt. The increase in watt doesn't increase the hashrate though. Without overclocking, you only waste more power...

http://cryptomining-blog.com/1014-how-to-increase-the-geforce-gtx-750-ti-power-target-limit/
I think you are not right. When you change TDP in bios you just prevent card of being throttled. The actual wattage doesn't depend on bios set TDP but only on algo.
My GTX750 went in economy mode without any overclocking on heavy algos when it was with default TDP in bios. In economy mode performance is degrading.
So changing TDP in bios helps you to prevent throttling and leaves space for further overclock. The dark side is possible card burn if it is n't designed to work with such wattage for long time ...
chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 08:55:50 AM

the issue with all this sp is that most of the apps that are designed for overclocking are all windows based ...

the only one that tried to do something about that a while ago for linux - is no defunct ... no updates for years ...

there are lots of pointers and tutorials - but never anything solid for linux users to 'easily' oc - especially via commandline ...

what you are proposing is the simplest way of doing it - via command line - windows or linux ... on 'stock' bios ...

you will hit a max wall - and thats as far as it will go - no bios modding or anything ...

#crysx

rednoW
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 08:59:32 AM

you will hit a max wall - and thats as far as it will go - no bios modding or anything ...

Without bios TDP mode you won't gain from overclocking due to some kind of throttling on heavy algos (scrypt, quark). Maybe under linux this behavior is not implemented in drivers ... i don't know ...

Also you need an option to set fan speed higher then default when overclocking. Default fan control rule makes card to go over 50C degrees under load (in my case). This is not good.
sp_ (OP)
Legendary

Team Black developer

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 09:01:24 AM

I think you are not right. When you change TDP in bios you just prevent card of being throttled. The actual wattage doesn't depend on bios set TDP but only on algo.
My GTX750 went in economy mode without any overclocking on heavy algos when it was with default TDP in bios. In economy mode performance is degrading.
So changing TDP in bios helps you to prevent throttling and leaves space for further overclock. The dark side is possible card burn if it is n't designed to work with such wattage for long time ...

Most users don't overclock. My point is if you don't overclock you don't need a TDP of 60WATT. the default 38.5 is more than enough to keep the hashrate. Some cards come with a 6pin power adapter and flashed to use 60W TDP. these cards are not producing more hash than the cards that comes with a default 38.5 if they are not overclocked.

rednoW
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2015, 09:04:20 AM

Most users don't overclock. My point is if you don't overclock you don't need a TDP of 60WATT. the default 38.5 is more than enough to keep the hashrate. Some cards come with a 6pin power adapter and flashed to use 60W TDP. these cards are not producing more hash than the cards that comes with a default 38.5 if they are not overclocked.

But flashing 60%TDP bios will not raise real power consumption. You just make safety wall to be higher ...
chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2015, 09:11:05 AM

Without bios TDP mode you won't gain from overclocking due to some kind of throttling on heavy algos (scrypt, quark). Maybe under linux this behavior is not implemented in drivers ... i don't know ...

im not sure either mate ...

but one thing i am sure of - is the amd cards work at max capacity due to the linux drivers and optimizations that devs like wolf have done ...

commandline overclocks are easy with sgminer and amd - its just a matter of finding the maximum they will oc - and that is just a matter of changing values ...

obviously when talking about nvidia - its very different ( with card make and drivers ) but the deal breaker with nvidia is simply that one cant just change a few commandline parameters to 'play' with oc ... even though the options for such tweaking IS there ...

further - you are right in that the cards themselves ( via the bios ) may have limitations that wont allow 'too much' overclocking ...

thats when sp's suggestion of flashing the bios / firmware would probably help ... but i prefer not to fiddle with the cards on that level - unless there is a massive improvement in hashrate and power draw ...

for the moment - i would rather just have the availability of commandline parameters to do the tweaking to as far as the cards can go ... like the amd's ...

#crysx

Pages: « 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 ... 1240 »
  Print  

Jump to: