Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:20:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 389 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BitBay OFFICIAL BITBAY Thread Smart Contracts Decentralized Markets Rolling Peg  (Read 541858 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
issie81

Activity: 760
Merit: 500

CryptoZilla

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 10:55:58 AM

I understand the point about Tor, but its tricky to route a coin daemon through Tor and you can still ban the wallet associated, the ip on Tor, the bitmessage address.

So I also realize how you can imply its centralized but actually its not. Because if no mods are online then there is no control. Moderators are needed in some way. Like if we do flagging then people could make bots to flag other peoples deals. So maybe better to start this way and after a strong trust building is done give out the moderator key to more users.

Regardless,  OpenBazaar will get in serious trouble if they get big. I'm only somewhat big and people are already are trying to sabotage me.

On a side note, its funny you guys mention defamation. There is that, extortion, and threats, invasion of privacy, cyberbullying, brand damage etc. There are a lot of charges i could bring. However, its a matter of time. I'm sure there is a statue of limitations so im not forced to pursue it right now. I can just code and meet my immediate short term goals without distracting myself.

Like here in Cambodia, they paid millions to get Gottfrid sent to Europe so they could harm him. But he didnt actually do anything wrong. He just ran the pirate bay.

So that should be an example especially considering my predecessors.

Also, moderation is actually good too because if you were trying to trade DOGE for BTC on the market you wouldnt want that offer sitting right next to some drug listing.

Additionally its hard to employ programmers in the market if its sitting next to a hitman lol. So really it is needed. Having the users moderate themselves is ideal but not fool proof.

Its still decentralized actually. It just gives Halo a way to make sure people post what is asked for on the markets.

As for filtering words I though of that. But there are words that cross over. Like people can mispell words too like k1ller or w33d or crack can also mean fixing a crack etc.

That is why I have templates. The templates allow me to filter and predict what most people will be buying or selling. Of course some custom offers will exist but it wont be the majority.

+111 for David, you have good vision David just follow the path anything what comes allong can be fixable
good to see you sharing your vision and asking feedback.

will there be also a rating for sellers to see if the seller has got good/positive feedback?
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2014, 10:59:49 AM

Put up a small new article about your recent train of thought, David :

http://www.cryptoarticles.com/crypto-news/inside-the-mind-of-david-zimbeck-a-decentralized-way-to-filter-fraudulent-bitbay-orders

I like the idea, looking forward to reading more Smiley
Gizfreak
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

Allergic to false promises

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 11:13:56 AM

http://www.cryptoarticles.com/crypto-news/inside-the-mind-of-david-zimbeck-a-decentralized-way-to-filter-fraudulent-bitbay-orders

Thx JP and I also posted it at the Google+ community Wink
dzimbeck
Legendary

Activity: 2412
Merit: 1044

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 11:29:23 AM

Thank you! Its not often you get to see theories expressed in articles. Also, your writing is very succinct and easy to follow. Thanks for the support and keep up the good work!
jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2014, 11:30:34 AM

Thank you! Its not often you get to see theories expressed in articles. Also, your writing is very succinct and easy to follow. Thanks for the support and keep up the good work!

Well you have the gift of explaining things in such a way people can either hate or like the idea immediately; which helps me in putting an article together Smiley

Glad you like the article sir!

Merry Christmas and all of that Smiley
unusualfacts30

Activity: 1540

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 12:07:00 PM

I understand the point about Tor, but its tricky to route a coin daemon through Tor and you can still ban the wallet associated, the ip on Tor, the bitmessage address.

So I also realize how you can imply its centralized but actually its not. Because if no mods are online then there is no control. Moderators are needed in some way. Like if we do flagging then people could make bots to flag other peoples deals. So maybe better to start this way and after a strong trust building is done give out the moderator key to more users.

Regardless,  OpenBazaar will get in serious trouble if they get big. I'm only somewhat big and people are already are trying to sabotage me.

On a side note, its funny you guys mention defamation. There is that, extortion, and threats, invasion of privacy, cyberbullying, brand damage etc. There are a lot of charges i could bring. However, its a matter of time. I'm sure there is a statue of limitations so im not forced to pursue it right now. I can just code and meet my immediate short term goals without distracting myself.

Like here in Cambodia, they paid millions to get Gottfrid sent to Europe so they could harm him. But he didnt actually do anything wrong. He just ran the pirate bay.

Also, moderation is actually good too because if you were trying to trade DOGE for BTC on the market you wouldnt want that offer sitting right next to some drug listing.

Additionally its hard to employ programmers in the market if its sitting next to a hitman lol. So really it is needed. Having the users moderate themselves is ideal but not fool proof.

Its still decentralized actually. It just gives Halo a way to make sure people post what is asked for on the markets.

As for filtering words I though of that. But there are words that cross over. Like people can mispell words too like k1ller or w33d or crack can also mean fixing a crack etc.

That is why I have templates. The templates allow me to filter and predict what most people will be buying or selling. Of course some custom offers will exist but it wont be the majority.

lol

"We saw you bought Hitman video game in marketplace. Here are other offers you might be interested in: Hitman needed for 40 BTC"

Yeah..fck that noise.

Some kind of moderation would be required for sure. At least to keep illegal things away or to minimum.

Decentralized
Asset-Backed Banking

▄▄██████████████████
 █████████████████████
█████▀▀
████▀    ████
████     ████
████     ████
         ████     ████
         ████    ▄████
               ▄▄█████
█████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀ 
.TheStandard.io.█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
HarryPotHead

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

You are what you eat. PIZZA!

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 12:07:21 PM

Thumbs down and a turnip flying at you at super sonic speed! No 2 turnips one is heading for your balls and the other you head.

Decentralise is to distribute the administrative functions or powers of (a central authority) among several persons/places. 'NOT A SINGLE ZIMBECK'

Or to withdraw from a center or place of concentration; especially a single internet hitler having power or function dispersed from his central bunker to person/persons;

Centralise:  drawn toward a center or brought under the control of a central authority (Zimbeck); "centralized control" oh we must delete that because it's nasty 'pot'.

So to sum up proceed how ever you want but do not call it decentralised when clearly it is as centralised as it can go,, all that rubbish cutting out the middle man and freedom you want to be the only middle man and Cambodia marketplace dictator!!

DO NOT WORRY YOU WILL STILL HAVE THOSE 6 PERSONS WHO HANG ON YOUR EVERY WORD WITHOUT LISTENING TO WHAT THE FUCK YOU ARE ACTUALLY SAYING.

post will be deleted in 10 9 8 7  Grin

HarryPotHead

Activity: 192

You are what you eat. PIZZA!

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 12:14:00 PM

Regardless,  OpenBazaar will get in serious trouble if they get big. I'm only somewhat big and people are already are trying to sabotage me.

lol

"We saw you bought Hitman video game in marketplace. Here are other offers you might be interested in: Hitman needed for 40 BTC"

Yeah..fck that noise.

Some kind of moderation would be required for sure. At least to keep illegal things away or to minimum.

That noise is the enjoyment of your leader while you lick his ass you little ass licker, yum yum the unsualfact is you like to much bum bum. Oh the enjoyment watching this disaster  Roll Eyes

funsponge

Activity: 776
Merit: 557

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 01:08:31 PM

welcome harrypothead!! another fake account! Dont you have a life to lead? Why does it concern you? Do you go onto Maxcoins, Gridcoins or Moneros threads? Why the fasination of Bitbay?
Anoxxxy

Activity: 232

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 01:41:44 PM

A decentralized system does not mean that illegal shit must be sold.
Moderation on system is required.
In the end the system is decentralized. And if you want to sell illegal shit its not hard to hide your ASS' With a VPN.

Go for moderation zimbeck Smiley

Regards Anoxy
Cryptosis

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 02:27:00 PM

The statement "if you aren't doing anything illegal or have nothin to hide then u won't mind exposing your ip" is completely irrelevant not to mention wrong. There are lots of people who have nothin to hide but still want to exercise their right for privacy. That's what the core of the crypto movement is about and there's nothing wrong with that. There is no way to prevent or govern others from engaging in illegal activities but that does not mean you hold everyone accountable. I understand why you would want to try and filter illegal stuff from the market but it's impossible. Something's are legal some places and not others. Who's to say what constitutes as an illegal purchase? I just think it's going a little to far as they are not going to use words like weed for selling weed anyways. It would be a constant losing battle and suck up all your resources trying to fight it. The whole point of a decentralized market is to stop censorship of purchases no matter who the censor is. I just don't see how this approach is going to work without bogging you down.
Gizfreak
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 03:08:57 PM

The statement "if you aren't doing anything illegal or have nothin to hide then u won't mind exposing your ip" is completely irrelevant not to mention wrong. There are lots of people who have nothin to hide but still want to exercise their right for privacy. That's what the core of the crypto movement is about and there's nothing wrong with that. There is no way to prevent or govern others from engaging in illegal activities but that does not mean you hold everyone accountable. I understand why you would want to try and filter illegal stuff from the market but it's impossible. Something's are legal some places and not others. Who's to say what constitutes as an illegal purchase? I just think it's going a little to far as they are not going to use words like weed for selling weed anyways. It would be a constant losing battle and suck up all your resources trying to fight it. The whole point of a decentralized market is to stop censorship of purchases no matter who the censor is. I just don't see how this approach is going to work without bogging you down.

unusualfacts30

Activity: 1540

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 03:33:02 PM

When shit goes down..Feds are not going to look for buyers or sellers..they're going to knock on David's door since he created the marketplace.  Grin

He has to protect it in any way he can to keep people from posting illegal stuff online. Yes..some people might not like it but it has to be done if you want to see this marketplace for long term or we're just trying to create silkroad 3.0  Grin

Decentralized
Asset-Backed Banking

▄▄██████████████████
 █████████████████████
█████▀▀
████▀    ████
████     ████
████     ████
         ████     ████
         ████    ▄████
               ▄▄█████
█████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀ 
.TheStandard.io.█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
spookycoins

Activity: 182

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2014, 03:59:10 PM

Hey guys, I wanted to hop in here and thank you for your support. I'm honored that you guys take an interest in smart contracts tech and are able to stand your ground with me.

With that said I had a question. Its a controversial idea but I'm actually liking it.

So here is the question. My original flow chart for markets I was going to get people into a whitelist by channeling their traffic through my server so we could grant access to decentralized markets based on good behavior.

But this model means that it still relies on a centralized server. It means babysitting it and doesnt actually show to be a scalable model for other businesses.

In fact, the only advantage I could see was speed. So, I'm wondering why add that layer first. Best to go straight to the decentralized layer, hit my milestone faster and find another method of moderating drugs/contraband that is more powerful. Trust building and ratings can still be added of course.

You see guys, I learned from this project that I clearly have people who dont want me to succeed(this also means I'm doing something right). The entire project was created by some agenda/etc to sabotage destructive tech IMHO.

All things considered, this means a decentralized market (if done incorrectly) gives them more ammunition to attack if there isnt a great moderation layer. I've got to protect my ass and also deliver a wonderful product. But the server layer seems like I'm heading east when I want to go west.

SO, my controversial idea was, to simply require that users put their IP address inside the order that goes to market. it can be encrypted so only Halo can see it. But what it does is gives me a log of all the IPs to deter people from posting illegal contraband. This isnt any different from how a website would work. When you log into a site, send an email, do anything on the internet your IP is revealed. So my question is, if it really is going to be legal things we are selling... why hide it? The biggest advantage of decentralized markets is there is no central server, its decentralized. So anyone in the world gets "free hosting" in a way. If the world ended the markets would still work. Additionally, I can make it so my server can in real time flag illegal orders in addition to being able to flag them in a decentralized way.

I can still build whitelists on top of that later to increase speed but im not sure its required to demo the markets. Also, having a decentralized kill switch and a system where users can flag orders is still highly attractive to me.

This was my recent thoughts. I really want to open up markets to the real world and give them a reason to think crypto isnt just a bunch of scams and criminals. (ironic considering how things started off on a bad foot but its nothing we cant bounce back from the brand is strong and if we get our two major features we can certainly be a contender)

Please let me know your thoughts on these ideas. I'm starting the coding now for a big Halo release(with pay to email) and these markets and felt some positive feedback and constructive criticism/brainstorming was in order.

Man, I've been thinking about this since you posted it.

A part of me agrees with Kevinrasf that we should proceed like this since all the crooks will be scared to go flahing their IP around.
But, I also agree with amytheplanarshift that people could just easily spoof IP addresses.
And VampiricElder makes a good point that this idea would be favorable to the media and general public.
But.... Cryptosis also makes a good point that this is not a trustless solution.

Definitely a tough decision.
One that should not be made in haste.
While I'm not exactly sure how I feel about the options, I do want to thank David for asking the community opinion.
Much respect.
-spooky

That's me on twitter --> @spookycoins
RJF

Activity: 616

Online since '89...

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2014, 04:06:44 PM

I see what you guys are saying about vein able to ban ip's etc but this way is not trust less right? It's still would be under your control to ban or penalize anyone u want for any reason you want. I'm not saying you would I'm just saying this doesn't take trust out of it. And how would u know if someone is selling something illegal, they could just say it's whatever they want n if the other party knows what the code words are there's no way to monitor it. I mean building a decentralized market is biting off a huge chunk of the unknown. 

I think any kind of control is doomed to failure eventually, why control it at all? It's not the software that's breaking the law, its the user as has been demonstrated many times in the past. I say code it without the IP filter and lets get it released and you can reevaluate in the future. Perhaps another method will become available in time...

DNotesVault
“First, they ignore you. Then, they laugh at you. Then, they fight you. Then you win!” – Mahatma Gandhi 
Prepare for your future now, check out CRISP For Retirement and our complete family of CRISP savings plans.
Cryptosis

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 05:09:15 PM

I understand why David wants to filter content there's no way in hell I would want tone in his shoes as the developer of something like this. But if it's 100% decentralized he isn't liable for what happens as the code would run itself an it wouldn't originate from his server. Now filtering traffic is going to run it through a central server this making him liable for everything that is sold, to me this is a even bigger risk that just making it 100% decentralized. People will get around any type of filtering you do it will be a constant losing battle. I'm not for illegal activities or building another Silk Road that's not why I became an investor, I joined because like most of you I enjoy what freedoms I have and actively taking back my right to privacy from any government agency or corporation or entity that could issue censorship.
Anoxxxy

Activity: 232

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 07:36:41 PM

I understand why David wants to filter content there's no way in hell I would want tone in his shoes as the developer of something like this. But if it's 100% decentralized he isn't liable for what happens as the code would run itself an it wouldn't originate from his server. Now filtering traffic is going to run it through a central server this making him liable for everything that is sold, to me this is a even bigger risk that just making it 100% decentralized. People will get around any type of filtering you do it will be a constant losing battle. I'm not for illegal activities or building another Silk Road that's not why I became an investor, I joined because like most of you I enjoy what freedoms I have and actively taking back my right to privacy from any government agency or corporation or entity that could issue censorship.

Been thinking and I vote +1 for this. Make it decentralized, without any kind of centralization implemented.

Keep up the good work David.
regards Anoxy
DeezCoinz

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 08:16:54 PM

Yes real world purposes this coin is different real decentralized central bank resistant  Smiley

Being bank resistant is also a problem. With coins, I am the banker. I have to keep my money safe. I can't trust it to anyone on the Internet yet. When I can trust an internet entity, they will be trustworthy because there will be regulation and penalties. Where do I store my retirement fund in bitcoin? How do I get interest on the money so it grows? Where will I get a loan to finance a mortgage?

Let me know if I'm going too far off topic.

Thanks,
DeezCoinz

No middleman if you are selling stuff in decentrilized marketplace. Everything is between seller & buyer and they can do it however they want.

Smart contract has two keys to make everything "hack proof". You can leave one key on your computer and secure another key somewhere safe or secure both key in different place..like one in your bank storage and other in your basement..so even if someone finds one key they'll have to find second key to steal your money from your wallet.

It's beautiful technology. Power given to people instead of central authority.

You're right about how you don't want to use it and lot of people might think like you..the reason being that people are so used to old stuff but as new generation comes in they would prefer using crypto over fiat and in 20 years from today crypto will become HUGE!

Bank charges ridiculous fees and then they have "minimum" amount bs. If your balance goes below that they'll start deducting fees. It's total BS and I hated it when I was kid because I had money in my account and I couldn't spend it.

There are several websites that offer you interest on your bitcoins/altcoins on yearly basis.

As they say "you can't teach old dog new tricks". Crypto adoption requires generation change and something that's hard for this generation will be preferred method for next one ..so on and so forth.

Actually as I said somewhere, I use bitcoin. I trade a couple of crypto coins. I understand. And I started working in systems in 1978, Internet 1988, web 1994 and here I am with this stuff. Sometimes your grandpa does know quite a bit of stuff Smiley Smiley My main problem right now is that I have to manage my money and it becomes tedious.
Gizfreak
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 08:30:56 PM

Please don't end up with something with a touch of centralization like http://www.onewallet.io or https://brawker.com/.
I want my trading to be as decentralized as possible. I used to be a punker and anarchy is still my middle name.
And for all of you that want to know a bit about how I see the world evolving in 2015:

http://youtu.be/fhprwXxetAQ
astrobitcoin

Activity: 134

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 09:50:12 PM

I used to be a punker and anarchy is still my middle name.

lol same background! Smiley

btw why not something like wikipedia, with curators that take care of preferred categories etc and those curators are changed once in a while..

idea: whenever he/she find something controversial would put it in a public list where the community would rate it to be present or not.. or votes like reddit..

all of this within the wallet
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 389 »
  Print  

Jump to: