Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:38:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 ... 496 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage  (Read 1382131 times)
Taek (OP)

Activity: 543
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 01:46:27 AM

We try to keep all of the important information here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zNpAct53E_5p4KO3_-ZOrg5N9HQw8ACTQ7zAyksSIf8

You guys should put this link in OP. That's where most of the newcomers are looking.

+1

I do not recall coming across this document, but then again I have not read through the entire thread yet. It should definitely be upfront there with links to website, FAQ etc.

Also, consider linking to the Reddit page:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Siacoin

I don't know who's running that, but it might lighten the load off this thread when newcomers have alternative forums to ask their questions.

I was thinking today of setting up a Sia Wiki, aka the Bitcoin Wiki. I know the Siacoin.com website is on Github, but it has the appearance of a company rather than a community site.

What are your thoughts on this?

We don't really have the time to set one up ourselves right now, if someone else wants to work on that we'd be interested to see what happens, but I think having everything in an FAQ document instead makes a bit more sense because it's more structured and easy to feel like you've read everything important.

yes it deff should be, I'll give it a read tonight... I'm still trying to wrap my head around how this is all put together  Grin

newb Q... is there pos reward at all ?

No proof of stake rewards

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MinermanNC
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 02:13:49 AM

I can also see a point in time where company's/individuals would be willing to pay even more for SIA services because of its anonymity.

Can you elaborate on how SIA (or: Sia?) provides anonymity to hosters and/or renters?

What I understand of SIA thus far is that hosted files are split and encrypted. But this is not the same as anonymity.

The list of hosts, with their IPs, is publicly accessible. Similarly, I understand transactions on the blockchain are transparent. Thus, transactions on the blockchain are pseudanonymous, not strictly anonymous.

Well the way I understand it is that an individual file upload will be split into pieces of data amongst 6 or 8 storage host somewhere in the world. The only way to see that file in a complete useful way is through the up loaders wallet. There is no way to actually view a file on any one storage host. (as its in a piece of the data) So that's really close to being anonymous I would think.

What your suggesting is that some entity would have to know what pieces to what file is stored where in the world and somehow retrieve that data from each host and somehow piece it all back together without having the actual wallet that uploaded it? I don't know seems pretty hard to imagine that a file could be hacked in any way shape or form. Let alone know who the owner is? maybe I missed something in the security features.

Other words how would you or anyone know what files I may have stored on the network? Maybe you can elaborate that part more?  Grin lol

*BTC: 1DiR25SPo84sThzTATr27EZEQZLt6hv6tG
MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 03:22:57 AM
Last edit: September 21, 2015, 03:41:18 AM by MinermanNC

Just playing around with uploading files from my wallet to Sia storage. I sent one mp3 file, Sia-UI zip, a Windows10 iso file and a windows 10 media creation tool.  

What's cool is I could share those files on Sunfish and anyone could download that file like the W10 iso and burn it to a DVD etc. and have a fully working clean install version. (no comments about W10 btw lol) just used it for a larger file test.

Now each of those files are now split up on at least 6 of the 30 known host hard drives. And 1/6 of a file could be on any one of those 30 host. So how would anyone know I uploaded an iso file up to the network? as an example.

Now imagine instead of 30 host we have 3000 host. Now I'm sure my IP service would know I have sent files up maybe based on bandwidth or something or possibly the size even, but I don't think they would know what it is that I sent. Please correct if wrong on that, as I am half assuming and half asking  Roll Eyes

But all of this has so much potential in todays world. Its great.

One thing I did notice again: when actually uploading the files it really puts a drag on my internet bandwidth, albeit I only have a 1.5 MB upload speed. But during the file upload I can barely open bitcoin talk lol takes forever to load a page until uploaded files have finished. I am going to test this more.... has anyone else noticed the drag on bandwidth or for those who have more upload speed?

A footnote: Prior to uploading the above files I had 248 Sia coins in the test wallet... I now have only 7 Sia coins left! Woot this is getting expensive lol j/k we know someone just got paid 241 Sia coins for those 4 files.  Total Gb is right around 3.4 GB, so about 70 Sia coins per GB/month if my math is right ... even though the estimated cost shows 373 Sia per Gb. ok its late and I'm tired  Wink  Just fun to play with and study

akaman

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 05:26:08 AM

Just playing around with uploading files from my wallet to Sia storage. I sent one mp3 file, Sia-UI zip, a Windows10 iso file and a windows 10 media creation tool.  
... Now each of those files are now split up on at least 6 of the 30 known host hard drives. And 1/6 of a file could be on any one of those 30 host. So how would anyone know I uploaded an iso file up to the network?

The blockchain contains a public record of your File Contracts, which contain information on the size of files and their Merkel root hash. I have only a rudimentary understanding of how to compute this hash, but assuming someone else has an identical copy of the file you are uplading to the Sia network, then I assume they could compute the Merkel root hash on their file as well and compare against your File Contract. Thus, if you are distributing a copyrighted file, and uploading this unaltered, then yes someone could discover that. Would be nice if someone could confirm this, or tell me wrong.

Also, ISO images tend to cluster around certain sizes and may not be difficult to spot in the blockchain overall.

Now imagine instead of 30 host we have 3000 host. Now I'm sure my IP service would know I have sent files up maybe based on bandwidth or something or possibly the size even, but I don't think they would know what it is that I sent.

I don't think the size of the file can be deduced from your bandwidth consumption alone, as the file is duplicated through the Sia network. I'm not sure where, and when, this duplication takes place, i.e. are files duplicated from the initial receiving hosts onwards to other hosts, or only from renter to hosts? The Sia White Paper does not detail this.

In any case, they won't know what you sent as the data is encrypted, unless they have a way of comparing the Merkel root hash and filesize indicated in your File Contract on the blockchain.

But all of this has so much potential in todays world. Its great.

I am tempted to agree, though there are many things I don't yet fully understand about how Sia works.
akaman

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 05:34:38 AM

I can also see a point in time where company's/individuals would be willing to pay even more for SIA services because of its anonymity.
Can you elaborate on how SIA (or: Sia?) provides anonymity to hosters and/or renters?
What I understand of SIA thus far is that hosted files are split and encrypted. But this is not the same as anonymity.
Well the way I understand it is that an individual file upload will be split into pieces of data amongst 6 or 8 storage host somewhere in the world. The only way to see that file in a complete useful way is through the up loaders wallet. There is no way to actually view a file on any one storage host. (as its in a piece of the data) So that's really close to being anonymous I would think.

I think I misunderstood what you meant by anonymity. To me, anonymity implies that ones identity is hidden. You refer to the contents of files. The content of files are impossible to read, assuming the Sia devs implemented the cryptography correctly... So, your files are safe and readable only by you, no doubt.

However, your identity is not necessarily a secret. Your activity on the network is public on the Sia blockchain, and your IP address is known by all participating nodes. Thus, a nefarious 3rd party could operate 'honey pot' hosts in order to track uploaders. So, I don't think you can expect to remain anonymous on the Sia network, i.e. in the sense that your identity is protected. It remains to be seen, whether someone could go from an IP address to proving that you have uploaded a particular file. I mentioned comparison of the Merkel root hash in my other reply to you as one possibility. File size is another possibility, although that would not be definite proof. Both of these possibilities assume the tracker already has an identical copy of your file (e.g. which may be the case if you are uploading copyrighted content).
Caesar_advisor

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 07:15:17 AM

Hi guys! I wanted to congratulate you for the work you're doing!

Much more people than you think is aware of Sia, the inner circles of investors have a lot of faith in this project. I don't lie, lots of investors trust in you for the long term, and that's very difficult to achieve in these jungles.

Keep working with the same ambition and you'll can retire in a few years man! We trust in you. Wink
Taek (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 08:53:29 AM

Hi guys! I wanted to congratulate you for the work you're doing!

Much more people than you think is aware of Sia, the inner circles of investors have a lot of faith in this project. I don't lie, lots of investors trust in you for the long term, and that's very difficult to achieve in these jungles.

Keep working with the same ambition and you'll can retire in a few years man! We trust in you. Wink

Thanks, we appreciate the encouragement.

-----

https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia/pull/798 <- this guy fixes the database corruptions, and speeds things up pretty significantly. I also found and fixed a few subtle bugs.
MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 02:21:06 PM

I think I misunderstood what you meant by anonymity. To me, anonymity implies that ones identity is hidden. You refer to the contents of files. The content of files are impossible to read, assuming the Sia devs implemented the cryptography correctly... So, your files are safe and readable only by you, no doubt.

However, your identity is not necessarily a secret. Your activity on the network is public on the Sia blockchain, and your IP address is known by all participating nodes. Thus, a nefarious 3rd party could operate 'honey pot' hosts in order to track uploaders. So, I don't think you can expect to remain anonymous on the Sia network, i.e. in the sense that your identity is protected. It remains to be seen, whether someone could go from an IP address to proving that you have uploaded a particular file. I mentioned comparison of the Merkel root hash in my other reply to you as one possibility. File size is another possibility, although that would not be definite proof. Both of these possibilities assume the tracker already has an identical copy of your file (e.g. which may be the case if you are uploading copyrighted content).
I guess all of this is up for discussion and opinions....you have some valid points also. Lets put it this way, of all the cloud storage hosting's offered out there, I would trust Sia more then the rest in terms of keeping my identity and files secured  Wink

To be continued .....  Smiley its a good topic for discussion...

Taek (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 03:20:36 PM

I guess all of this is up for discussion and opinions....you have some valid points also. Lets put it this way, of all the cloud storage hosting's offered out there, I would trust Sia more then the rest in terms of keeping my identity and files secured  Wink

Don't give us too much faith until we're out of beta  Tongue

Some of the algorithms still need improvement.
akaman

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 04:19:57 PM

Question:
In the Sia-UI, under Files - > New File there is the option ".sia file"

What is the format of this file? Is it documented anywhere?
MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 04:39:18 PM

Don't give us too much faith until we're out of beta  Tongue

Some of the algorithms still need improvement.
lol Taek, I hear ya! I have full confidence in the project and your talents just the same  Wink

Trial

Activity: 664
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 08:43:20 PM

Give the link on GUI version of wallet 0.3.3.3 for Windows x64.
akaman

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 10:28:36 PM

All releases can be downloaded here:
https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia/releases
Trial

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 06:04:08 AM

Thanks. I already watched this link. I need GUI version of wallet 0.3.3.3 for Windows x64. There it isn't present.
Taek (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 07:35:45 AM

Thanks. I already watched this link. I need GUI version of wallet 0.3.3.3 for Windows x64. There it isn't present.

Why do you not want to use 0.4.2? I know there are some usability issues, but 0.3.3.3 has some coin-destroying risks.

You can grab it here: http://pixeldra.in/u/C816oI

But I would recommend against it.
Trial

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 08:19:00 AM

Why do you not want to use 0.4.2? I know there are some usability issues, but 0.3.3.3 has some coin-destroying risks.

Thanks for the link.
After closing of wallet 0.4.2 files from the consensus folder are damaged.
DStefanov

Activity: 425

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2015, 08:31:50 AM

Thanks for the link.
After closing of wallet 0.4.2 files from the consensus folder are damaged.

Absolutely true!
Besides the use of version 0.4.2 damaged database, in my case and lost coins! I had 843000 SIA, consensus folder are damaged, delete the file, I restart to upgrade database and coins were already 566304! Where are the coins excavated from the last block Huh I use GUI version  wallet 0.3.3.3. and now I have no problems, lost data or coins! Version 0.3.3.3 is super!
Hopefully soon to fix all the problems in version 0.4.2! Good luck with the project!

Taek (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 03:41:03 PM

Absolutely true!
Besides the use of version 0.4.2 damaged database, in my case and lost coins! I had 843000 SIA, consensus folder are damaged, delete the file, I restart to upgrade database and coins were already 566304! Where are the coins excavated from the last block Huh I use GUI version  wallet 0.3.3.3. and now I have no problems, lost data or coins! Version 0.3.3.3 is super!
Hopefully soon to fix all the problems in version 0.4.2! Good luck with the project!

Which files did you delete? The coins were probably there, just buried a few addresses deep.
Momimaus

Activity: 767

Never back down !!!

View Profile
September 22, 2015, 05:04:58 PM

Is it possible to trade the Sianotes already?

CoinTracking.info - Your personal Profit / Loss Portfolio Monitor and Tax Tool for all Digital Coins
CoinTracking is analyzing all your trades and generates in real time tons of useful information such as the profit / loss of your trades, your balances, realized and unrealized gains, reports for tax declaration and many more. For Bitcoin and over 3000 altcoins, assets and commodities.
Get 10% discount for all packages or create your own affiliate link to get 20% for every sale.
DStefanov

Activity: 425

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2015, 05:30:44 PM

Absolutely true!

Which files did you delete? The coins were probably there, just buried a few addresses deep.

The only one file I deleted was set.db into folder \.........\Sia-UI-v0.4.2-beta-win64\resources\app\Sia\consensus

I have no idea what to do to recover the coins. The problem is that the loss of coins happens to me every time the database is damaged! The problem also occurs on the third computer that has installed wallet! I would be very glad if you can help your coins back.
Thanks for the help!

Pages: « 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 ... 496 »
  Print  

Jump to: