Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:18:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 [153] 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 ... 232 »
  Print  
Author Topic: I am pretty confident we are the new wealthy elite, gentlemen.  (Read 631743 times)
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1007

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 09:19:33 PM

BTC could go up alot but not in the next 3-4 years.

Project back in time 3-4 years. Make that same statement at that time. Was just as logical then as it is now. But you would have missed that express elevator. Just like your attitude will have your future self kicking you for missing the next.

Hold on a second, I hold btc and will earn a lot in the future. So if btc will go up alot i`ll become rich.

I wont miss the next train. I just said to him to not waste time. Waiting 10 years for something is foolish, better work on it to get more btc.

"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 9981

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 04:47:42 AM

Project back in time 3-4 years. Make that same statement at that time. Was just as logical then as it is now. But you would have missed that express elevator. Just like your attitude will have your future self kicking you for missing the next.

Hold on a second, I hold btc and will earn a lot in the future. So if btc will go up alot i`ll become rich.

I wont miss the next train. I just said to him to not waste time. Waiting 10 years for something is foolish, better work on it to get more btc.

Yes, you may be suggesting a form of dollar cost averaging, as well.

If he has 20BTC at 30 years old, he can continue to invest a portion of his paycheck, and maybe acquire 20 more BTC or some other reasonable amount, and the appreciation of the BTC plus his continuing to invest will likely have a compounding effect.

At todays, prices, investing $50 per month will get you nearly 2 BTC a year, and if the prices go up, then that same amount may only get you .2BTC a year; however, a guy may well begin to draw a higher income too, as the years go by, and will be able to continue to invest more, maybe $100 or $500 per month.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2015, 05:24:29 AM

To think that not so long ago I was paid 50 BTC for two hours of work.

Damn!! This post is only 4 years old and yet it feels like from a different time altogether  Shocked  Those simple characters '50 BTC' carry so much more weight these days. To think that he was doing the same comparison I'm doing now lol  Cheesy
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1007

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 10:51:13 AM

To think that not so long ago I was paid 50 BTC for two hours of work.

Damn!! This post is only 4 years old and yet it feels like from a different time altogether  Shocked  Those simple characters '50 BTC' carry so much more weight these days. To think that he was doing the same comparison I'm doing now lol  Cheesy

I just love how most of the posters from page 1 quit after 2011-2012-2013.

Hardly a few of them are still here and are hero members. The rest of them shilled for bitcoin so hard, yet they quit 1 year after like some cowards they are.

AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 03:19:29 PM

That's what I'm always saying. If you really only invest that money what you don't need to care about, there is absolutely no reason to freak out when BTC's price tanks. Just sit it out.In the long run we will succeed and be glad that hodling was the right decision.

Yea the higher the risk, the less capital should be invested.

Those that put all their life savings into btc at 500$, and the price went to 1100 and didnt sold, then went down below 300, they panicked and sold at 300$.

Now they are angry at bitcoin because they lost almost half of their savings. But they should be mad at themselves.

If they would just bought a little bit then it would not be big deal.

If you bought for 100$ when the price was 0.5$ , 200 BTC. You have no reason to sell, because the price can go up to 50,000$ and you will be amongst the elite.

as one of the existing elite...didn't tim draper purchase 30000 bitcoins at auction for around $600 each. granted it was a miniscule part of his net worth and surely hes not panicking. I would think most who invest in bitcoin feel its a long term play and would not panic. Those who trade...it may be another story entirely. 

Is that the gold mine guy? I remember reading about a guy that sold a gold mine he owned to buy Bitcoin, he hasn't ROI'd yet. Of course, if they have a brain they will hold. I remember when Warren Buffet bought the Washington Post stocks, he lost money at first, then years later (like 40) turned his initial $11 million investment on $1.1 billion. This is why it's all about long term and ups and downs don't really matter.
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 05:18:52 PM

I love this thread Cheesy It never dies.

But of more substance, I have to disagree with the "hodl" crowd in most instances. I have gotten to the point where trading BTC is how I make the bulk of my living, and you pretty much have to play that day by day. On the most recent spike, I made really good money, but I make decent money every day. Money sitting in a vault does no good. It's purpose is trade, and that is how you increase your holdings.

Longer term, it's definitely a good play to have some BTC, dollars, diamonds, and etc. in storage, but not the bulk of it. Money in play, whatever form it's in, is where the profits are. And the losses, if we're to be honest, but carefully investing your assets will make you "wealthy elite" far quicker than waiting and hoping.
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 05:31:59 PM

But of more substance, I have to disagree with the "hodl" crowd in most instances. I have gotten to the point where trading BTC is how I make the bulk of my living, and you pretty much have to play that day by day. On the most recent spike, I made really good money, but I make decent money every day. Money sitting in a vault does no good. It's purpose is trade, and that is how you increase your holdings.

Longer term, it's definitely a good play to have some BTC, dollars, diamonds, and etc. in storage, but not the bulk of it. Money in play, whatever form it's in, is where the profits are. And the losses, if we're to be honest, but carefully investing your assets will make you "wealthy elite" far quicker than waiting and hoping.

Good on you if you are successful trading but that one bolded bit it quite wrong I'm afraid  Undecided

Savings have value and it doesn't make much sense to propose that one starts speculating with all of his available wealth.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
Biomech
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 05:34:34 PM

Good on you if you are successful trading but that one bolded bit it quite wrong I'm afraid  Undecided

Savings have value and it doesn't make much sense to propose that one starts speculating with all of his available wealth.

I qualified it Cheesy But even savings in a bank is actually invested, you're just not the one doing it. Interest is paid to you out of profits from the interest they charge to lend the money that you hold, essentially a partnership. Except in the banking world, they hold all the cards.

Money just sitting in a vault, as I said, is not likely doing you any good. A smallish portion, for emergencies and future speculation, sure, but overall the purpose of money is trade, and that's how you increase your stash.
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 05:37:15 PM

I qualified it Cheesy But even savings in a bank is actually invested, you're just not the one dong it. Interest is paid to you out of profits from the interest they charge to lend the money that you hold, essentially a partnership. Except in the banking world, they hold all the cards.

Money just sitting in a vault, as I said, is not likely doing you any good. A smallish portion, for emergencies and future speculation, sure, but overall the purpose of money is trade, and that's how you increase your stash.

Think of the people who sold a large part of their stash during the early 2013 run-up thinking they had made a killing seeing as they bought their coins in low double digit.... I'm guessing some of them would love to have these coins back.

I understand where you're coming from but the "purpose of money is trade" notion is simply broken economics.

http://blog.oleganza.com/post/43378777734/on-circulation-of-money

Economists err if they believe something is wrong when money is not in constant, active “circulation.” Money is only useful for exchange value, true, but it is not only useful at the actual moment of exchange. This truth has been often overlooked. Money is just as useful when lying “idle” in somebody’s cash balance, even in a miser’s “hoard.” (At what point does a man’s cash balance become a faintly disreputable “hoard,” or the prudent man a miser? It is impossible to fix any definite criterion: generally, the charge of “hoarding” means that A is keeping more cash than B thinks is appropriate for A.) For that money is being held now in wait for possible future exchange—it supplies to its owner, right now, the usefulness of permitting exchanges at any time—present or future—the owner might desire.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 06:11:19 PM

Good for you that you have the skills to trade successfully. I guess many here doesn't have these abilities or the time and patience to learn it.Risk to lose shouldn't be underestimated.And that's the reason everyone should do what he can do best to increase his BTC amount.
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 06:22:32 PM

Good for you that you have the skills to trade successfully. I guess many here doesn't have these abilities or the time and patience to learn it.Risk to lose shouldn't be underestimated.And that's the reason everyone should do what he can do best to increase his BTC amount.

As far as trading goes, as long as you use your brain instead of your emotions, you'll be fine. Buying low and selling high doesn't require you to have skills.
Biomech
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 06:32:44 PM

I qualified it Cheesy But even savings in a bank is actually invested, you're just not the one dong it. Interest is paid to you out of profits from the interest they charge to lend the money that you hold, essentially a partnership. Except in the banking world, they hold all the cards.

Think of the people who sold a large part of their stash during the early 2013 run-up thinking they had made a killing seeing as they bought their coins in low double digit.... I'm guessing some of them would love to have these coins back.

I understand where you're coming from but the "purpose of money is trade" notion is simply broken economics.

http://blog.oleganza.com/post/43378777734/on-circulation-of-money

Economists err if they believe something is wrong when money is not in constant, active “circulation.” Money is only useful for exchange value, true, but it is not only useful at the actual moment of exchange. This truth has been often overlooked. Money is just as useful when lying “idle” in somebody’s cash balance, even in a miser’s “hoard.” (At what point does a man’s cash balance become a faintly disreputable “hoard,” or the prudent man a miser? It is impossible to fix any definite criterion: generally, the charge of “hoarding” means that A is keeping more cash than B thinks is appropriate for A.) For that money is being held now in wait for possible future exchange—it supplies to its owner, right now, the usefulness of permitting exchanges at any time—present or future—the owner might desire.

You make a good point. It has value TO the person letting it lie idle, even if just for the pleasure of it. My point, however, is that if the goal is to become wealthy, then simply holding it is unlikely to be a solid strategy. Holding a portion, and taking profit often and using the profit to generate more profit, that's the strategy I'm advocating. I would suppose that if you are already wealthy, the proportion you hold would likely increase vs. the portion you invest. I guess I'm getting at the idea that standing still is rarely useful to life or wealth.
Biomech
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 06:35:52 PM

It took a long time to get decent at it. I'm far from good at it, but I do make a living. Along the way, I lost quite a bit to that learning curve Cheesy Primarily, the skill you need most is a good head. If you can be patient and vigilant at the same time (the former is very hard for me), you'll make money. Faking patience has been of great value to me. And of course, watching the peaks and valleys and buying low and selling high Cheesy
oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 06:57:07 PM

Which one are you Jbreher?  Were you able to hang on to some of your early purchased coins?  Do you have thousands of coins, as some of the posters here assume?  

I believe that you are suggesting that your bitcoin holdings are much more modest than the assertion of "thousands."  

Haha. I wish. I once had amassed 'almost thousands'. But I learned a hard lesson about greed -- both that of my fellow man, and of my own -- in the pirate@40 / Trendon Shavers / BTCST debacle. I was utterly wiped out in that one.

I've been able to accumulate a few more coins since. Enough that, in the case I believe to be the 80% scenario (bitcoin eventually becomes ubiquitous), by the time I reach retirement age*, I'll be able to do so in grand style. Of course, in that scenario, even a single full bitcoin will be vast riches.

*any young pups out there might note that I am already as old as dirt.

Do you think that a 30 year old will be able to retire in 10 years with about 20 BTC? I cannot stand a single day at work, too much stress, I just need more free time, I cannot develop my hobbies, I suffer from anxiety, please help me BTC Sad

Perhaps a new job is in order rather than a miracle investment in a niche.

He has more chances at making it with BTC than trying to find a job that isn't very stressing nowadays. With 21 BTC, you are basically a member of a club where only 1 million people are admited (only 21 million coins ever, so only 1 million people holding 21 coins is possible).
If Bitcoin wins, the price should be high enough to retire with that in that period of time. Like satoshi said, if bitcoin is still around, it will be very valuable or be 0.
nerFohanzo

Activity: 631
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 07:44:57 PM

That's the right thing to do holding and keeping it safe for the future can proved to an very profitable as we know that the price of BTC would go higher in the coming years so the best thing to do right now is to keep on earning bitcoins in the best possible way and this is the right time to invest in bitcoins so that we can become rich in the coming years.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 03:45:06 AM

Your points are very valid, Denker.   A blanketted recommendation suggesting that the only way to accomplish meaningful gains is to trade your BTC (or any  other asset) is short-sighted and self-absorbed.

Every person needs to assess his/her own financial circumstances to ascertain risk, distribution and likely continue to tweak in the event that the totality of the investments are in fairly infant stages.

In this regard, building and hoarding BTC could be a very good strategy in light of the persons total distribution of investments, including considering the time horizon of the person.

On the other hand, if a portfolio becomes fairly well-distributed, and it has segments, such as BTC, that have become very profitable, then it may be prudent to take some of those profits; however, there seems to be likely considerable utility to continue to build the BTC portfolio, based on the overall expected value of that particular asset, in comparison to other fiat based assets that a person may hold (or have). 

In this regard, it seems prudent to continue to dollar cost average invest into BTC and to increase the overall accumulation of BTC while it is under $1,000 per BTC.  Surely, every person, while still accumulating, will need to decide for himself/herself, the extent to which s/he feels it is necessary to take some of the profits between $330 and $1,000.. and maybe even attempt trading and/or reinvesting - depending on the totality of the persons BTC holdings in comparison with other investments that s/he may have, etc.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
cohnhead

Activity: 840

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 04:33:17 AM

Your points are very valid, Denker.   A blanketted recommendation suggesting that the only way to accomplish meaningful gains is to trade your BTC (or any  other asset) is short-sighted and self-absorbed.

Every person needs to assess his/her own financial circumstances to ascertain risk, distribution and likely continue to tweak in the event that the totality of the investments are in fairly infant stages.

In this regard, building and hoarding BTC could be a very good strategy in light of the persons total distribution of investments, including considering the time horizon of the person.

On the other hand, if a portfolio becomes fairly well-distributed, and it has segments, such as BTC, that have become very profitable, then it may be prudent to take some of those profits; however, there seems to be likely considerable utility to continue to build the BTC portfolio, based on the overall expected value of that particular asset, in comparison to other fiat based assets that a person may hold (or have). 

In this regard, it seems prudent to continue to dollar cost average invest into BTC and to increase the overall accumulation of BTC while it is under $1,000 per BTC.  Surely, every person, while still accumulating, will need to decide for himself/herself, the extent to which s/he feels it is necessary to take some of the profits between $330 and $1,000.. and maybe even attempt trading and/or reinvesting - depending on the totality of the persons BTC holdings in comparison with other investments that s/he may have, etc.

i think you strategy is good but can't your statement about accumulating btc until it hits $1,000 also be construed as short sited and maybe self absorbed. how can you pick a arbitrary limit to an investment strategy like cost averaging...for you 1,000 may seem like an upper limit...to others just a starting point.  someone who is truly dollar averaging doesn't try to pick tops or bottoms...they just accumulate over time...at regular intervals.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 05:37:55 AM

i think you strategy is good but can't your statement about accumulating btc until it hits $1,000 also be construed as short sited and maybe self absorbed. how can you pick a arbitrary limit to an investment strategy like cost averaging...for you 1,000 may seem like an upper limit...to others just a starting point.  someone who is truly dollar averaging doesn't try to pick tops or bottoms...they just accumulate over time...at regular intervals.

I may have misspoke a little bit, because I was not really trying to box in any exact formula for potentially getting rich on bitcoins because each formula will be somewhat dependent and hopefully tailored to the individuals overall circumstances.

And, in that regard, there will certainly be individuals with a lot of philosophies including those who have no intention to invest any further into bitcoin, no matter what the price.

Yet, to some extent, I believe that several readers of this thread assume that the price of BTC is increasing, yet there may be quite a lot of variance concerning whether individuals believe that they should continue to invest or to rest on the amount that they already invested.  In that regard, even though was criticizing some of the points of Biomech, I agree with him that there is likely increased value to have an interactive plan with regard to bitcoin holdings, even though I was criticizing his apparent assessment that trading is the only way to really profit from bitcoin (and to put one's BTC investment to work).  Maybe in the end, I agree with a lot of his points, except I have some difficulties with his apparent assertion that trading is good for everyone, when in fact some BTC investors may not be at that stage of their BTC investment, and they may never really be comfortable with the concept or practice of trading their BTC holdings.

cohnhead

Activity: 840

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 06:00:37 PM

I may have misspoke a little bit, because I was not really trying to box in any exact formula for potentially getting rich on bitcoins because each formula will be somewhat dependent and hopefully tailored to the individuals overall circumstances.

And, in that regard, there will certainly be individuals with a lot of philosophies including those who have no intention to invest any further into bitcoin, no matter what the price.

Yet, to some extent, I believe that several readers of this thread assume that the price of BTC is increasing, yet there may be quite a lot of variance concerning whether individuals believe that they should continue to invest or to rest on the amount that they already invested.  In that regard, even though was criticizing some of the points of Biomech, I agree with him that there is likely increased value to have an interactive plan with regard to bitcoin holdings, even though I was criticizing his apparent assessment that trading is the only way to really profit from bitcoin (and to put one's BTC investment to work).  Maybe in the end, I agree with a lot of his points, except I have some difficulties with his apparent assertion that trading is good for everyone, when in fact some BTC investors may not be at that stage of their BTC investment, and they may never really be comfortable with the concept or practice of trading their BTC holdings.
well stated....and for sure some of the biggest stakeholders don't trade at all (winklvoss's I don't think ever sell). and like you said its up to individual circumstance.

what I find interesting is that the $1000 mark that was reached in 2013.... I thought was a manufactured number...produced by a bot trading on gox.  So why do we hold that number in such high regard? 
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 06:13:16 PM

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Pages: « 1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 [153] 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 ... 232 »
  Print  

Jump to: