Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 06:15:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 ... 265 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ESHOP launched] Trezor: Bitcoin hardware wallet  (Read 965828 times)
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2014, 06:30:36 PM

The Trezor calculates the change address so it knows it is correct so it does not need to bother you to veryify something that it knows is correct and cannot be faked, since everything happens inside the Trezor.

Stop
It can be calculated based by blockchain.
Trezor doesn't know the blockchain. So it cannot calculate it.
Only computer with opened site MyTrezor.com can help because only computer knows which addresses are not used.
You are right, I got off on a little bit of a tangent and I am sorry.  Try this:

All of the change addresses can be determined from xpriv which is derived from the seed.
The seed, xpriv, all the receive addresses, all the change addresses are or can be calculated inside the Trezor.

Sure, the change address can also be calculated from the xpub on the myTrezor web site (or any other wallet that supports Trezor).

So, since myTrezor calculates the change address from xpub and Trezor calculates the same change address from xpriv the Trezor can verify that the myWallet (or any other wallet) calculated the same change address.  If the two change addresses do not match the Trezor can simply refuse to sign the transaction and reject it.

Same result:  we don't need to be bothered to verify the change address because the Trezor can verify it.

BTW I went back and fixed my previous post.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Perlover

Activity: 162
Merit: 109

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 06:42:02 PM

All of the change addresses are determined from xpriv which is derived from the seed.
The seed, xpriv, all the receive addresses, all the change addresses can all calculated inside the Trezor.

Sure, the change address can also be calculated from the xpub on the myTrezor web site (or any other wallet that supports Trezor).

So, since myTrezor calculates the change address from xpub and Trezor calculates the same change address from xpriv the Trezor can verify that the myWallet (or any other wallet) calculated the same change address.  If the two change addresses do not match the Trezor can simply refuse to sign the transaction and reject it.

Same result:  we don't need to be bothered to verify the change address because the Trezor can verify it.

BTW I went back and fixed my previous post.

If you will read my post about this, you will see that i mean it.
And what mean "Trezor calculates the same change address"?
It should calculates with some tip from computer. Amount fo change addresses is inifinity. How the Trezor calculate "same address"? Trezor doesn't know blockchain and doesn't know which addresses are used and which are not...
I wrote about path of BIP32/BIP44 tipped from computer.

But i am not sure that this realized same way.
Perlover

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 06:45:22 PM

Sorry if this sounds mean but I don't think you understand how bitcoin works. I can give you some great links if you like that will help you understand on a more technical level.

Smiley

P.S. Are you spam bot?
sipak

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 07:05:50 PM
Last edit: August 28, 2014, 07:18:03 PM by sipak

Hi,

I noticed the strange thing.

The Trezor is device for signing all outputs and all outputs should be showed to me in screen and values of each output.
Is it correct?

But i noticed that when i send some money to addresses A, B, C (i did the transaction for 10 addresses) there was 11th output - it's OK, one address is change from my wallet.

BUT! The 11th address is not showed by Trezor (or 1st) - this is the change adress. So one address slips away from my eye. It's very strange.
How the Trezor decides that one address should not be showed (and value too!) to me when i sign the transaction?

I understood that it made may be for easy using. But i would know the algorithm for this decision.
May be there security hole? Can hacker tell to the Trezor that one X address from faked transaction is change address and after this the Trezor could not show to me this address and value in Trezor's screen?

I can imagine that the Trezor could get the change address as path of BIP32/BIP44 and inside itself can recalculate the address and after it decides that this address is a really my own change address and doesn't show one me and value for it. But i am not sure that this done same way. If there in protocol only bit for address (change/not_change) - it will be security hole for trojan.

I think the Trezor should show all outputs and value of each output included a change address. A change address could be showed with remark 'Your Change' or other way. Otherwise, the thought creeps in that the algorithm has a loophole.

How do you think?
And what does Stick or Slush think about this? I don't want to ask this to through ticket system because the Trezor project should be discussed publicly.

When you are composing transaction, you see on the right all output addresses. The change address is represented by path and it is sent by myTrezor wallet to the Trezor device as this path. This is why Trezor doesn't show anything, because it knows, it generates that address itself from the seed. You can pregenerate this internal address by using account xpub and the shown path on bip32.org. If you give this address to Trezor explicitly and fill in the right change ammount, you will have to confirm it on the screen as with every other external ouput. Trezor doesn't recognize it as internal address when it is not sent as a path to it. The same thing is when you send bitcoins bitween accounts in the same Trezor, you have to confirm them, since Trezor doesn't know they are internal with respect to the seed as well.

Anyway, it might be good if user could somehow choose if the change address will be shown explicitly by clicking something like "Send Advanced". In this scenario, Trezor would also show something like "Confirm sending change to an internal address 3/1/18 = 1ase4er4wFASDFdasdfdfdf..."
blossbloss

Activity: 50
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 08:12:10 PM

So in that photo a ways back..the classics you showed were black, is there any chance of getting those instead of white?

There might be good news next week for you :-) *wink*

very curious if stick's wink is still accurate
any updates on the wink?  Smiley
Perlover

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 08:19:00 PM
Last edit: August 28, 2014, 09:50:30 PM by Perlover

When you are composing transaction, you see on the right all output addresses. The change address is represented by path and it is sent by myTrezor wallet to the Trezor device as this path. This is why Trezor doesn't show anything, because it knows, it generates that address itself from the seed.

If the Trezor works with same algorithm - it's fine.
If the developer could confirm it ("The change address is represented by path and it is sent by myTrezor wallet to the Trezor device as this path")
But as i wrote for other people can be strange that transaction has 2 outputs and they saw only one address & value when they signed the transaction.
Yes, i see, it's better (not show change address) for easy using of the Trezor. May be it should be as option in software which comunicates with the Trezor

> You can pregenerate this internal address by using account xpub and the shown path on bip32.org.
> If you give this address to Trezor explicitly and fill in the right change ammount,
> you will have to confirm it on the screen as with every other external ouput. Trezor doesn't recognize it as internal address when it is not sent as a path to it.

It's interesting test. But it not gaurantee that the path change address algorithm there works.
There may be there other alogorithm - change address are marked in program interface by special bit for example. If you enter address manually - there no bit, if computer calculate change address based on xpub - there is bit. But it will be bad algorithm.

I hope that change address is calculated inside Trezor based on sent BIP44 path of address.

P.S.
> When you are composing transaction, you see on the right all output addresses.
> The change address is represented by path and it is sent by myTrezor wallet to the Trezor device as this path.
> This is why Trezor doesn't show anything, because it knows, it generates that address itself from the seed.

Yes, i did other transaction and i see that there change address is presented as BIP44 path. I think now that the Trezor gets from a computer not a Bitcoin change address but the only BIP44's path and the Trezor calculates the address inside...

P.P.S. I want thank the Trezor team for nice device Smiley!
klokan

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 09:56:35 PM
Last edit: August 28, 2014, 10:07:21 PM by klokan

When you are composing transaction, you see on the right all output addresses. The change address is represented by path and it is sent by myTrezor wallet to the Trezor device as this path. This is why Trezor doesn't show anything, because it knows, it generates that address itself from the seed.

If the developer could confirm it ("The change address is represented by path and it is sent by myTrezor wallet to the Trezor device as this path")
But as i wrote for other people can be strange that transaction has 2 outputs and they saw only one address & value when they signed the transaction.
Yes, i see, it's better (not show change address) for easy using of the Trezor. May be it should be as option in software which comunicates with the Trezor

> You can pregenerate this internal address by using account xpub and the shown path on bip32.org.
> If you give this address to Trezor explicitly and fill in the right change ammount,
> you will have to confirm it on the screen as with every other external ouput. Trezor doesn't recognize it as internal address when it is not sent as a path to it.

It's interesting test. But it not gaurantee that the path change address algorithm there works.
There may be there other alogorithm - change address are marked in program interface by special bit for example. If you enter address manually - there no bit, if computer calculate change address based on xpub - there is bit. But it will be bad algorithm.

I hope that change address is calculated inside Trezor based on sent BIP44 path of address.

You find it strange, because you were raised in environment, where it was necessary to check where "the rest of BTC" go. But this is in fact unnecessary. You have a wallet that has many addresses. In the scenario where you are spending to 10 output addresses, what SHOULD happen is that you should confirm those 10 addresses and the rest of BTC go back to you. That's it. The change depends on the inputs chosen by the algorithm. Imagine you have 1 BTC on 5 addresses 0.2BTC each. If you are spending 0.5BTC, then 3 inputs are used and the change is 0.1BTC. It may be even more confusing to a unexperinced user expecting change to be 0.5BTC. Since it can be arbitrary number going to your own address there is no point confirming it as many people already told you.

All addresses are (edit:)BIP44 compliant so it is really the same algorithm used on the web wallet and Trezor. There is no question about it.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 10:29:42 PM

are there any videos, or "How To" guides that show how to use trezor with Electrum or with multibit?   I have been using the trezor web wallet, but would like to try it with electrum or multibit (and I have never used either of those clients before).    thanks guys...

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 10:36:43 PM

Sorry if this sounds mean but I don't think you understand how bitcoin works. I can give you some great links if you like that will help you understand on a more technical level.

Smiley

P.S. Are you spam bot?

Lol. No I'm not a spam bot. I have >4200 posts. I never would have lasted that long spamming.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Valzador

Activity: 1316
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 08:26:45 AM

If you have less than $1000 in BTC then this product may not be for you.  But for someone who has thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, etc. then this is a great product.  I love this little thing.  I have 5 of them and will be ordering a couple more for Christmas gifts for people I know that have BTC holdings.  It is the second best thing I have ever purchased with BTC, the best one being a case of Girl Scout thin mint cookies.

Is it safe having 2 or more trezors running with the same seed?
oyhmxh

Activity: 17

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 09:39:56 AM

Looks pretty awesome but a little expensive Lips sealed
binford

Activity: 52

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 10:43:42 AM

I would love to buy one but 119 bucks? ... expensive for the newbies.

if you're confident to manage your crypto currency safely, buy that instead of the hardware wallet and buy one in future (hopefully for less than it costs now; hint spend later a fraction of bitcoins that you buy today with the same amount of $ or eur that you spend today)

if this thing would be around years ago it would already be cheaper ; )
and probably thousands of coins would not have been stolen in the meantime
slush (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 02:42:11 PM

Confirm. Trezor does not display those outputs which are provably going back to Trezor.

No, it is strange to *you*, because you actually do expect that there's something called "change address". Btw displaying change address to common user has no sense, because user himself don't know if given change address is correct or not...

Sophokles

Activity: 1218
Merit: 516

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 06:19:55 PM

Will there be a version with metal casing anytime soon? Great product, anyway!

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
hbee

Activity: 4

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 06:36:48 PM

Is there something going on with mytrezor.com? I cannot access my balance, it just gets stuck in "Loading..." with those three bars. I've already reinstalled the plugin and tried different browsers.
devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 06:48:30 PM

Is there something going on with mytrezor.com? I cannot access my balance, it just gets stuck in "Loading..." with those three bars. I've already reinstalled the plugin and tried different browsers.

I'm having the same issue...

A resolution as soon as possible would be appreciated.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 07:11:43 PM

I'm having the same issue...

A resolution as soon as possible would be appreciated.
Yes it is down.  I reported it to them through their support email address:  support@bitcointrezor.com

They do not hang out here that much so if you ever have problems use their support email address.

(but they probably already know it is down)

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 07:13:02 PM

Why don't you guys use all the other wallets that support trezor Wink Isn't that you all told me to do...
stick

Activity: 441
Merit: 266

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 10:01:46 PM

Should be OK now.

devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 10:05:12 PM

Should be OK now.

It seems to be working again.
Thanks!

Pages: « 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 ... 265 »
  Print  

Jump to: