Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:03:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ETH price soaring. Are you going to move some BTC into ETH?  (Read 198763 times)
yefi
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 1511

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 11:13:34 PM

I'm still long from sub 0.01 and $7...as usual I wish I've bought more but we all know how it goes. I'm not selling anytime soon especially with the ETF decision looming. I think ETH is the place to be right now as I don't feel the ETF will go through. Either way, ETH will benefit. Yes the price will suffer in BTC terms if it's approved but in terms of fiat, all major altcoins will ultimately benefit.

If the ETF doesn't go through, the fiat pair will definitely suffer short term (when BTC dumps, altcoins don't react that quickly to keep their fiat value) but it will definitely be used as a hedge along with fiat and other major altcoins. And I may get a lot of hate, but if the ETF doesn't go through we could enter a very long downtrend for BTC, and the concept of "The Flippening" could become a reality as in my opinion Bitcoin doesn't have a lot in the horizon for the next months (inner fights, blocks full, China regulation).

You may not believe in ETH but there is a lot of stuff coming in the short term, especially Metropolis and POS hype, we all know what something similar did to Dash...I won't even mention the Ethereum Enterprise Alliance which to me is the greatest nod from fintech to cryptocurrency ever.

Well done on holding your position. I took my profits a while ago and got into the PASC and NEX pumps.

There are whispers that the SEC will approve, but we'll see. If the ETF does get approved, Ethereum will probably dump, but BTC's rise should also push it over its USD ATH, which may spark buying, as a high-beta play on Bitcoin. If 0.015 can be taken out, then major resistance is going to be in the 0.02 - 0.024 range around last Devcon.

If the ETF gets rejected, I see a correction in BTC, but not the end of the rally. Longer term, the scalibility is going to be an issue if it's not resolved, but I don't believe it will prevent higher highs in the immediate future.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mtnsaa
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 11:43:25 PM

I'm still long from sub 0.01 and $7...as usual I wish I've bought more but we all know how it goes. I'm not selling anytime soon especially with the ETF decision looming. I think ETH is the place to be right now as I don't feel the ETF will go through. Either way, ETH will benefit. Yes the price will suffer in BTC terms if it's approved but in terms of fiat, all major altcoins will ultimately benefit.

If the ETF doesn't go through, the fiat pair will definitely suffer short term (when BTC dumps, altcoins don't react that quickly to keep their fiat value) but it will definitely be used as a hedge along with fiat and other major altcoins. And I may get a lot of hate, but if the ETF doesn't go through we could enter a very long downtrend for BTC, and the concept of "The Flippening" could become a reality as in my opinion Bitcoin doesn't have a lot in the horizon for the next months (inner fights, blocks full, China regulation).

You may not believe in ETH but there is a lot of stuff coming in the short term, especially Metropolis and POS hype, we all know what something similar did to Dash...I won't even mention the Ethereum Enterprise Alliance which to me is the greatest nod from fintech to cryptocurrency ever.

Well done on holding your position. I took my profits a while ago and got into the PASC and NEX pumps.

There are whispers that the SEC will approve, but we'll see. If the ETF does get approved, Ethereum will probably dump, but BTC's rise should also push it over its USD ATH, which may spark buying, as a high-beta play on Bitcoin. If 0.015 can be taken out, then major resistance is going to be in the 0.02 - 0.024 range around last Devcon.

If the ETF gets rejected, I see a correction in BTC, but not the end of the rally. Longer term, the scalibility is going to be an issue if it's not resolved, but I don't believe it will prevent higher highs in the immediate future.

Yefi what do you think about this Dash rally? It definitely came out of nowhere for me and some are saying it will go to $100 and above which to me is completely ridiculous. I don't really understand what's the appeal for Dash but I'm kicking myself for not seeing the signs and potential for the hype. I kind of get the masternodes lock a lot of Dash and all but I don't see what's so special I'm terms of tech that either Ethereum or even Litecoin or Doge can't do in terms of speed. Even Bitcoin if they manage to take these things seriously.

Anyway, do you think the pump is over or this is a good entry point? At least before the ETF decision unleash chaos hehe.
cakravothy

Activity: 868
Merit: 501

Chainjoes.com

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2017, 12:38:54 AM

Until it works out the excesses of its artificially inflated valuation it will be moribund and stagnating in price. It's very much the same as the stock markets that haven't had a proper crash since 2008 but were propped up by the governments, bankers and insiders, any growth is lethargic and artificial.

USD is approaching 100 to 1 leveraging.  This means a dollar is really only worth ~ a penny. 

In fact, the penny is worth more; as the copper holds more value than the coin or the bill.

The reckoning is going to be terrible not just for the US; but the entire global economy.

where bitcoin exchanger or ethereum exchanger with pair USD can leverage 1:100
in bitfinex only 1:3 and in poloniex only 1:2.5

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
Vivlore

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 08:17:36 AM

Yefi what do you think about this Dash rally? It definitely came out of nowhere for me and some are saying it will go to $100 and above which to me is completely ridiculous. I don't really understand what's the appeal for Dash but I'm kicking myself for not seeing the signs and potential for the hype. I kind of get the masternodes lock a lot of Dash and all but I don't see what's so special I'm terms of tech that either Ethereum or even Litecoin or Doge can't do in terms of speed. Even Bitcoin if they manage to take these things seriously.

Anyway, do you think the pump is over or this is a good entry point? At least before the ETF decision unleash chaos hehe.

Dash might rise. But it has similar features as the ZEC and XMR. Ethereum is unique.

MICROMONEYTOKEN CROWDSALE - 18TH of OCTOBER 2017
▐▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  MicroMoney for People & Big Data for Business  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▌
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  LinkedIn  |  Reddit  |  Medium  |  Telegram  |
yefi
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 12:16:37 PM

The huge short squeeze to 485 (lending rates went over 2% during the rally) and subsequent drop to 300 was toppish for me. I don't see how it can go higher, especially when, as you say, there's nothing particularly unique about it. I guess its appeal is that its unit of account is the second most expensive now, so noob investors can feel "rich".
fullzero
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 10:37:17 PM

Ethereum is unique.

Only in being effectively controlled by Goldman Sachs
mtnsaa
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 10:56:42 PM

Ethereum is unique.

Not so funny now...the future is grim for Bitcoin if you ask me and they only have themselves to blame, nothing but petty disputes, greediness and denial about the deep problems it has. What is Bitcoin anyway right now? I mean honestly, what does it do? It's certainly not a day to day currency that once proposed. A store of value? a decentralized database? Ok I can give you that, but there's zero incentive to buy it other than hodling and speculate with it, this trick won't last forever.

Now I'm not calling the death of Bitcoin or anything, I'm sure it will be around for many years, but something's gotta give, plenty of business had moved away from it due to the toxic environment and altcoins started to take on Bitcoin marketcap little by little, just look at the graph of altcoin market compared to Bitcoin, it's bullish as hell.

And like it or not, Ethereum is the second one behind it, with a lot of projects actually using its blockchain (not different blockchains altogether).
fullzero
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 11:37:52 PM

Ethereum is unique.

Not so funny now...the future is grim for Bitcoin if you ask me and they only have themselves to blame, nothing but petty disputes, greediness and denial about the deep problems it has. What is Bitcoin anyway right now? I mean honestly, what does it do? It's certainly not a day to day currency that once proposed. A store of value? a decentralized database? Ok I can give you that, but there's zero incentive to buy it other than hodling and speculate with it, this trick won't last forever.

Now I'm not calling the death of Bitcoin or anything, I'm sure it will be around for many years, but something's gotta give, plenty of business had moved away from it due to the toxic environment and altcoins started to take on Bitcoin marketcap little by little, just look at the graph of altcoin market compared to Bitcoin, it's bullish as hell.

And like it or not, Ethereum is the second one behind it, with a lot of projects actually using its blockchain (not different blockchains altogether).

You should probably do more research if you think I'm joking about GS.

I am not a maximalist; I have no problem with alts. 

However: Ethereum ceased to be a cryptocurrency post fork.  It is now a next generation bank technology.  You cannot both; enable blacklisting and be a cryptocurrency. 

The current Bitcoin internal strife is sad; but Bitcoin was well conceived to survive and work as it has.  If you don't see how the choices made in its design have most likely saved it from being destroyed multiple times over; then there is no point in arguing it's merits with you.  It is the ground.

I never disputed there is plenty of money to be made riding the banks investment in ETH.  Just acknowledge what you are investing in is not a cryptocurrency.
mtnsaa
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2017, 12:44:33 AM

Ethereum is unique.

However: Ethereum ceased to be a cryptocurrency post fork.  It is now a next generation bank technology.  You cannot both; enable blacklisting and be a cryptocurrency. 

The current Bitcoin internal strife is sad; but Bitcoin was well conceived to survive and work as it has.  If you don't see how the choices made in its design have most likely saved it from being destroyed multiple times over; then there is no point in arguing it's merits with you.  It is the ground.

I never disputed there is plenty of money to be made riding the banks investment in ETH.  Just acknowledge what you are investing in is not a cryptocurrency.

Well I think we agree more than I thought, however I don't know what a cryptocurrency is anymore. To me a currency needs to be stable first, and that's why Bitcoin has failed to reach the mainstream, that's the bottomline. No average Joe wants to see his stack or salary cut in half because there was a hack or an ETF got denied. He needs to know how much Netflix costs by the end of the month or groceries next week. I won't even get to the "small" issue of using decimals, my mother could make a simple mistake and confuse 0.001 with 0.0001

Now, Ethereum with all its problems is actually a platform that you can use to develop dapps and even stable tokens if you want, for example the Goldman Sachs Dollar, as weird as that sounds.

I don't have anything against banks, they never robbed me a penny, to me they are necessary evil like governments. Yes I would like to live in a world where governments don't force me to pay taxes and enslave me for life but that's not gonna happen in my lifetime at least. Bitcoin was created in a time of crisis and low faith in institutions. I agree a trustless public blockchain can solve many problems. To me the DAO hack was a debacle and very irresponsible from the devs behind the project. However I think the foundation did the best they could for such a shitty situation and it was very mature in my opinion. Not letting someone steal millions of dollars because of a bug is always the right answer. Letting him walk is being stubborn and rigid, that's not how the world works, difficult decisions must be made and it's not all black and white. And remember the problem was not in the Ethereum blockchain itself, it was in a smart contract holding millions in a beta project. It was too much too soon, but don't condemn them all, there are a lot smart people working and trying new things.

So I invest where I see the opportunity for growth, smart people and innovation. Bitcoin promised that years ago, but what about now? Tell me why should I invest in it?
fullzero
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2017, 01:33:16 AM

Ethereum is unique.

Well I think we agree more than I thought, however I don't know what a cryptocurrency is anymore. To me a currency needs to be stable first, and that's why Bitcoin has failed to reach the mainstream, that's the bottomline. No average Joe wants to see his stack or salary cut in half because there was a hack or an ETF got denied. He needs to know how much Netflix costs by the end of the month or groceries next week. I won't even get to the "small" issue of using decimals, my mother could make a simple mistake and confuse 0.001 with 0.0001

Now, Ethereum with all its problems is actually a platform that you can use to develop dapps and even stable tokens if you want, for example the Goldman Sachs Dollar, as weird as that sounds.

I don't have anything against banks, they never robbed me a penny, to me they are necessary evil like governments. Yes I would like to live in a world where governments don't force me to pay taxes and enslave me for life but that's not gonna happen in my lifetime at least. Bitcoin was created in a time of crisis and low faith in institutions. I agree a trustless public blockchain can solve many problems. To me the DAO hack was a debacle and very irresponsible from the devs behind the project. However I think the foundation did the best they could for such a shitty situation and it was very mature in my opinion. Not letting someone steal millions of dollars because of a bug is always the right answer. Letting him walk is being stubborn and rigid, that's not how the world works, difficult decisions must be made and it's not all black and white. And remember the problem was not in the Ethereum blockchain itself, it was in a smart contract holding millions in a beta project. It was too much too soon, but don't condemn them all, there are a lot smart people working and trying new things.

So I invest where I see the opportunity for growth, smart people and innovation. Bitcoin promised that years ago, but what about now? Tell me why should I invest in it?

If you don't want to hold or use Bitcoin; don't use it, no problem.

I believe it is foolish to hold any altcoin long term.  No matter what any developer claims; you know they store their value in BTC.

shapeshift.io very effectively enables cross chain transactions; effectively creating one economy out of all supported coins.  I can confirm their api and skeleton implementation are well designed, and their customer support will resolve an issue; if you have one.

Increasingly crypto ( the one economy of all cryptocurrencies and NGBT (next generation bank technology) ) is intertwined.  IMO the resistance to this tendency is the primary motivation of BTC Maximalists. 

Distinguishing between cryptocurrencies and NGBT is the key distinction for me; not BTC and alts. I think if pressed, many Maximalists would agree.

I don't have anything against banks, they never robbed me a penny, to me they are necessary evil like governments.

Bitcoin's very existence calls into question the necessity of banks; and through abstraction: the necessity of any bureaucratic institution.

Why exactly, are banks a necessary evil?

Silberman
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1332

View Profile
March 11, 2017, 06:43:36 AM

Since bitcoin seems to still be the coin to hold, then there is not much of a reason to move bitcoin to any other crypto, bitcoin is the only one of all the cryptos to offer some kind of store of value, while some  altcoins could offer new and more advanced characteristics the right choice is to store bitcoin long term.
Quickfant

Activity: 128
Merit: 27

View Profile
March 11, 2017, 03:53:24 PM

Since bitcoin seems to still be the coin to hold, then there is not much of a reason to move bitcoin to any other crypto, bitcoin is the only one of all the cryptos to offer some kind of store of value, while some  altcoins could offer new and more advanced characteristics the right choice is to store bitcoin long term.

I think it is better to hold majority of the asset in bitcoin, the other altcoins a small percentage.
yefi
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2017, 06:04:10 PM

Bitcoin is a system for storing and transferring value absent intermediaries. It can serve as a settlement layer for second-tier networks that would be better geared for petty day-to-day transactions. Hoarding and speculation are going to be the primary means of price appreciation for a long time to come - I'm not sure why there is an urgency to look elsewhere, at least for the next decade.

The alt market has been growing at a faster pace than Bitcoin. It's also a fickle market though, where coins come and go, rise and fall. Perhaps reasons for investing in Bitcoin versus them is its better liquidity, lower volatility and staying power.

Bitcoin was created in a time of crisis and low faith in institutions.

A time that will return.
metony

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2017, 06:14:40 PM

Bitcoin may rock this year but future cannot be predict if BTC BTC fail or loose faith of investors.

mtnsaa
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2017, 07:15:14 PM

Bitcoin is a system for storing and transferring value absent intermediaries. It can serve as a settlement layer for second-tier networks that would be better geared for petty day-to-day transactions. Hoarding and speculation are going to be the primary means of price appreciation for a long time to come - I'm not sure why there is an urgency to look elsewhere, at least for the next decade.

The alt market has been growing at a faster pace than Bitcoin. It's also a fickle market though, where coins come and go, rise and fall. Perhaps reasons for investing in Bitcoin versus them is its better liquidity, lower volatility and staying power.

Bitcoin was created in a time of crisis and low faith in institutions.

A time that will return.

yefi, you know we were discussing similar issues when Ethereum started that huge rally back in early 2016. I'm a believer in Ethereum because I really feel it's one of the only altcoins that really add something new. But I've also sold all my stash some time right after the DAO hack when it was still above 0.02 since I knew a bear trend would set in eventually. And I'll sell again if in the next months we see it at above $50-100, with all ENS, ICOs and POS/Metropolis hype. I know this is all experimental technology and a very risky, volatile investment, and that includes Bitcoin which have a lot of negative stuff to sort out no matter what maximalists deny or say.

So my point is, one should be aware of fundamentals and sentiment. I think right now we are at a point where Bitcoin can't really justify itself any longer based on the arguments you hear. It might have worked 2 or 3 years ago, but right now it's becoming inexcusable. If this continues, a bear trend will start and we'll see sub 1k again, mark my words. I'm not even mentioning the real possibility of a hard fork happening. I do agree that Bitcoin greatest asset is becoming a settlement and decentralized database, but price is kinda secondary if the "currency" is not actually used for anything. That's why Ethereum makes a little more sense to many, it needs to be earned, used and consumed.

I'm a pragmatic person and I don't see the world in black and white. I think most debates have good arguments on either side, there's nothing 100% right or wrong.
mtnsaa
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 05:26:28 AM

Mic drop.  Cool
yefi
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 12:12:15 AM

So my point is, one should be aware of fundamentals and sentiment. I think right now we are at a point where Bitcoin can't really justify itself any longer based on the arguments you hear. It might have worked 2 or 3 years ago, but right now it's becoming inexcusable. If this continues, a bear trend will start and we'll see sub 1k again, mark my words. I'm not even mentioning the real possibility of a hard fork happening. I do agree that Bitcoin greatest asset is becoming a settlement and decentralized database, but price is kinda secondary if the "currency" is not actually used for anything. That's why Ethereum makes a little more sense to many, it needs to be earned, used and consumed.

I'm a pragmatic person and I don't see the world in black and white. I think most debates have good arguments on either side, there's nothing 100% right or wrong.

You were also saying last year that Bitcoin's fundamentals didn't warrant a price over $500, yet here we are at over $1200 - never underestimate the hold of "dragon-sickness".

As for Ethereum, it's done pretty amazing today and this week, with a lot of action on USD pairs, suggesting new money entering. I do think a test lower is needed, as the trajectory is overheating now imho. For the longer term, maybe it will dominate Bitcoin, but I'm certainly not about to bet my stash on it.
mtnsaa
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 12:48:46 AM

You were also saying last year that Bitcoin's fundamentals didn't warrant a price over $500, yet here we are at over $1200 - never underestimate the hold of "dragon-sickness".

As for Ethereum, it's done pretty amazing today and this week, with a lot of action on USD pairs, suggesting new money entering. I do think a test lower is needed, as the trajectory is overheating now imho. For the longer term, maybe it will dominate Bitcoin, but I'm certainly not about to bet my stash on it.

I'm always bearish on Bitcoin, almost since I got interested in crypto, I recognize the amazing tech and how it can have an impact in the world but I've always considered there's a big problem with governance. To me decentralization is fine for certain issues but not for everything. Theres a need to for leadership and decision making. With that being said I recognize Bitcoin fans and speculators are very stubborn and almost always bullish. As Bitcoin is the main entrance to this world, I always hold some so I've also made money during these rallies. I also remember to take profit into fiat and invest in more established investments, something many Bitcoin hard believers don't even question.

I agree with you that we sort of hit a peak, I'm watching closely in case I need to make a move fast but I think we'll be in a consolidation area for a week or so around $25-30, perhaps with some dips lower.

I don't know what Bitcoin is gonna do next, to me like I said it's deeply overvalued for its current present situation but we'll see.
oaks05

Activity: 770
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 11:33:09 AM

Eth will doible in price sometime by the end lf the year hate it all u want but its gonna double at some point and i dont even hold that much of it, it just sticks out more than any other alt coin to me at the moment

█ █ █ █ █
         ██           ██
       ██     █ █ █ █   ██
     ██    ██        ██
   ██   ██               
  ██   ██     ████████                  ██████████
            ███          ██   █████████     ██      ██████  ██   ███████  ██    ███   ███████
 ██   ██    ███              ██      ███    ██      ██          ███       ██   ███  ██
 ██   ██    ███  ██████  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██  ███   ██
            ███      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██████     ███████
 ██   ██    ███      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██  ██           ██
             ██      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██   ███         ██
 ██   ██      ███████    ██   █████████     ██      ██      ██   ███████  ██    ███  ███████
  ██   ██                           ███
   ██    ██          ██            ███
     ██    ██ █ █ █ █   ██
       ██             ██
          █ █ █ █ █ █

Telegram     Facebook     Twitter     Medium
-------------------------------------------------------------------
.WEBSITE. |█| .WHITEPAPER.

......BOUNTY......
-----------------------------------
..ANN THREAD..
dumada

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 14, 2017, 05:40:49 PM

That is true. For the Ethereum, as it is supported by several big organisaitons, its price might rise again.
Pages: « 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 »
  Print  

Jump to: