Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:46:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 [949] 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 ... 1126 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Obyte: Totally new consensus algorithm + private untraceable payments  (Read 1233886 times)
Big Naturals

Activity: 756
Merit: 268

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 02:33:35 AM

The Venezuelan student scheme shows a good way forward for future airdrops, a small amount of USD value can mean a lot to students in countries with low exchange rates, maybe target a campaign to students in Africa, South America,  South East Asia  etc if that went viral could easily get loads of new users, sort of like what Facebook did, but target low exchange rate countries where 10 USD is worth jumping through some hoops.

Verifying students is probably quite possible too, avoid sock puppets.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
p2pGames

Activity: 159
Merit: 12

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 03:03:36 AM

The Venezuelan student scheme shows a good way forward for future airdrops, a small amount of USD value can mean a lot to students in countries with low exchange rates, maybe target a campaign to students in Africa, South America,  South East Asia  etc if that went viral could easily get loads of new users, sort of like what Facebook did, but target low exchange rate countries where 10 USD is worth jumping through some hoops.

In such countries, people are more interested in dollars than in bytes. think that the distribution should be accessible to all equally.

⚪ Byteball     ❱❱❱     I T   J U S T   W O R K S .    ❱❱❱
Sending Crypto to Email  -  Risk-Free Conditional Smart Payments  -  ICO Platform with KYC
ANN THREAD          TELEGRAM          TWITTER          MEDIUM          SLACK          REDDIT
caytienbct

Activity: 132
Merit: 12

My dream is to be a self-made billionaire

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 03:10:06 AM

It's good approach to allocate Byteball airdrops to Venezuelan, particularly students and most vulnerable groups of locals there (pregnant women, elderly, etc.). It will be good for both those sort of target airdrop receivers, Byteball project, Byteball community.
Byteball popularity will be increased significantly with such massive airdrops (if available).
Big Naturals

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 03:35:05 AM

In such countries, people are more interested in dollars than in bytes. think that the distribution should be accessible to all equally.

Yes, so the student can sell their BB for whatever currency they want, but many would choose to keep it and hope for price appreciation. The point is students in Europe and USA wouldn't be bothered for 5-10 USD worth of value, but sure, all distro methods should be open to everyone, but marketing resources should focus where adoption is more likely i.e. where 10 USD might be worth many hours of equivalent in work. Where I live 10 USD buys a student 1 beer, that guy has very little incentive.
tuanytcc

Activity: 476
Merit: 14

Bcnex - The Ultimate Blockchain Trading Platform

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 04:05:27 AM

That totally depends on their temporary needs. Sometimes they need fiats to pay for their daily life expenses. Sometimes, they will stick on holding their Bytes for future use.
For instance, with a  member rank, I can earn $30 which will be paid in Bytes each week. In my country, $30 is high enough to pay for my weekly expenses. By the way, thanks tonych for operating the current signature campaign and hope that it will last more months.

SockPuppetTheSecond

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 04:24:43 AM

Are there any other developers officially on the Byteball team or is this still a one man show?

I appreciate Tony's principles of wanting to make this an organic community driven project without an ICO.  I also appreciate that this is Tony's baby and he is a bit of a control freak about it.  Unfortunately the reality of the cryptosphere today is that Byteball is going to continue to be further eclipsed by other massively well funded projects and left in the dustbin of history eventually if it doesn't start gaining traction fast.  Tony really needs to start throwing around that massive stash of undistributed GBYTE to give this thing momentum.

Hire 10 full-time developers.  Have them all sign year long contracts at a rate of 1000 GBYTE per year.  That's 185000$ at today's prices.  I am sure there are plenty of qualified programmers and software developers who would find that to offer an acceptable risk/reward ratio (risk of their salary depreciating in value vs appreciating).  That would only cost 10,000 GBYTE.  Imagine what 10 full time developers would be able to accomplish in a year.

Figure out a way to offer more incentive to witnesses at least for now.  Maybe some automated way of rewarding witnesses (start relatively high and have rewards slowly drop as time goes by so that in 5-10 years witnesses will be incentivized solely by transaction fees).  Right now there is very little incentive to become a witness, and even less incentive for users to manually select different witnesses other than the default.  The witnesses will forever remain centralized in Tony's hands unless this problem is solved.
Big Naturals

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 04:34:05 AM

Are there any other developers officially on the Byteball team or is this still a one man show?

I appreciate Tony's principles of wanting to make this an organic community driven project without an ICO.  I also appreciate that this is Tony's baby and he is a bit of a control freak about it.  Unfortunately the reality of the cryptosphere today is that Byteball is going to continue to be further eclipsed by other massively well funded projects and left in the dustbin of history eventually if it doesn't start gaining traction fast.  Tony really needs to start throwing around that massive stash of undistributed GBYTE to give this thing momentum.

Hire 10 full-time developers.  Have them all sign year long contracts at a rate of 1000 GBYTE per year.  That's 185000$ at today's prices.  I am sure there are plenty of qualified programmers and software developers who would find that to offer an acceptable risk/reward ratio (risk of their salary depreciating in value vs appreciating).  That would only cost 10,000 GBYTE.  Imagine what 10 full time developers would be able to accomplish in a year.

Figure out a way to offer more incentive to witnesses at least for now.  Maybe some automated way of rewarding witnesses (start relatively high and have rewards slowly drop as time goes by so that in 5-10 years witnesses will be incentivized solely by transaction fees).  Right now there is very little incentive to become a witness, and even less incentive for users to manually select different witnesses other than the default.  The witnesses will forever remain centralized in Tony's hands unless this problem is solved.

Using the undistributed BB to pay competitve rewards for independent witness operators is a good suggestion, tony is a very smart guy, so I expect he has a plan in place to decentralise the witnesses already, and maybe he is going to pay some rewards from the remaining bytes.

As for adding more devs, tony has achieved amazing results so far, might be better to let third party companies add services on top, having tony employ people just further entrenches him as a 'single point of failure', the sooner tony disappears and retires from active duty the better (no offence tony, just the truth, the day you go the way of satoshi is the day BB is fully decentralised).
kaicrypzen

Activity: 1344
Merit: 656

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 08:34:45 AM

Send the receiver's address using "Insert address" from the receiver's chat interface. Click on that address in the sender's chat interface and normally you should be able to choose blackbytes and send them. As HCP pointed out, you need bytes to pay for the transaction fees.

How should someone guess that? I mean, there is no instructions whatsoever for doing something lile that. I understand the idea of Byteball is to be easy to use to pursue mass user adoption, but that's certainly not easy unless you know the trick.
And by the way, it didn't work. I am getting now a mistake in red color:
"Impossible to send the payment: precommit callback failed: [a string of text]: conflicting spend proof in inner unit [a string of text]"

When you are stuck you try other things, you click wherever you can until something works ... Having said that, nobody's asking you to guess anything, that's why you can ask here and/or on Slack and people will help you. You actually didn't tell me what you did. For instance, I don't even know if you clicked the send button, copied the address you want to send to, selected blackbytes and were unable to send. It's interesting how you seem to be pissed off after receiving help Smiley.

Anyway, back to the help Smiley. Do you have the latest release on both devices? Are both of them synced?

I was not pissed off with you, sorry if I've given this impression. In fact, thank you for your help.

No problem and you are welcome Smiley.

4. Following your instructions I could actually get the destination address to appear in the field where you usually would get it by the way of the drop down menu, but as I've clicked send I've got the mistake: "Impossible to send the payment: precommit callback failed: [a string of text]: conflicting spend proof in inner unit [a string of text]"

Sounds like the "bytes" you have are possibly not valid... due to being used in another transaction. Not sure if it's referring to the "normal" bytes or the "blackbytes".

So, do you know if you are trying to send blackbytes that are no longer available? Did you at some point restore from an old backup or have the same wallet (same seed) running on more than one device or anything that you think could have somehow corrupted one or both the wallets?

It's not a big sum of blackbytes, it's worth 4$ in total now so it's not even worth the time of writing this post. But the point is that if there is a problem it must be solved, if we care about Byteball.

+1

Punqtured

Activity: 29
Merit: 37

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 09:21:15 AM
Merited by tonych (10), jbreher (5), Cacingkemi (2), LoyceV (1), Welsh (1), rty (1), Random-String-Symphony (1)

The distribution to the Venezuelan university comes in two steps.

The initial idea was to host a Use-a-Thon, where students can enter a contest with prizes in bytes worth about $800 - which is comparatively much money to any student. Arranging such contest had the implication, that contestants would need bytes to experiment with transfers etc. so Tony suggested their domain was added to the white list of the email attestation bot, allowing all students to claim the $10 worth of bytes as reward.

The word spread like wild-fire and people were all over the place offering to pay other students to attest their email to get the referral reward (also worth $10) and that resulted in a complete craze. We had more than than 4000 attestations from students at the university.

What I believe is the best thing about this is, that while some will of course sell it as soon as they get it, others might hold on for a while. This allows the projects of the Use-a-Thon to materialize which suddenly makes their bytes spendable in actual use cases developed by the participants of the Use-a-Thon.

I've seen the suggestions about expanding the concept to other universities in developing countries where the $10 is comparatively worth more than ie. the US or EU. And this has been the plan right from the get go of this initiative.

At the moment, we're gathering information and experience from this first edition of the Byteball Use-a-Thon, which is definitely needed in order to expand to more universities. We encounter problems and questions on a daily basis, that we hadn't thought of, and some of the events at the university couldn't possibly have been foreseen. We also quickly came to the conclusion, that in order for the initiative to have more effect, it would be a smart move to also reward a team of documentarists. During the period of the Use-a-Thon, they will take pictures, do short interviews and/or video clips that will help us build the case when presenting it to other universities.

We also currently ran into the problem, that the university's mail server actually blacklisted the byteball.org domain (any decent spam filter would probably consider thousands of almost identical emails sent from the same address in a few days a text-book example of spam) so we had to get contacts from the Student Council and the on-site coordinating professor meet with the IT department of the university to explain the reason for this.

All in all, there's simply just SO many things, that we discover and learn from doing this, that it wouldn't be plausible to host multiple contests at this point in time. I wouldn't be exaggerating if I say that me and the two other organizers spend somewhere between 3 and 4 hours a day, sorting out issues, having correspondence with university representatives and making needed decisions on things we hadn't thought of before the contest was announced.

My long term dream is to run a series of contests at several universities in a broad range of developing countries. Then - have a huge inter-university contest, where all winning teams will compete against winning teams from other universities in one major Use-a-Thon. That one should of course have a massive prize pool, and preferably include some kind of event, where participants are invited to attend some kind of event where winners will be announced. All contestants would have their travel and living expenses covered. But this is a long term dream, and at this point in time, not feasible. But who knows what the future will bring Smiley

As soon as we start receiving material from the documentary team at the Universidad Simòn Bolìvar, we will start publishing articles and news on the progress, so stay tuned, and if possible, lend a helping hand with whatever the students might request help with. There's plenty to do, and I must say, that being able to directly affect the adoption of the Byteball project is really amazing! This is only possible with smaller projects like Byteball before they grow too big. Had this been an Ethereum-effort, it would simply be a drop in the ocean. I therefore highly encourage everyone to contribute and come up with cool ideas. The Byteball Grants program is open for everyone with great ideas. So get started! Smiley

Cheers!
Punqtured
CryptKeeper
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 09:44:43 AM

The distribution to the Venezuelan university comes in two steps.

The initial idea was to host a Use-a-Thon, where students can enter a contest with prizes in bytes worth about $800 - which is comparatively much money to any student. Arranging such contest had the implication, that contestants would need bytes to experiment with transfers etc. so Tony suggested their domain was added to the white list of the email attestation bot, allowing all students to claim the $10 worth of bytes as reward.

The word spread like wild-fire and people were all over the place offering to pay other students to attest their email to get the referral reward (also worth $10) and that resulted in a complete craze. We had more than than 4000 attestations from students at the university.

What I believe is the best thing about this is, that while some will of course sell it as soon as they get it, others might hold on for a while. This allows the projects of the Use-a-Thon to materialize which suddenly makes their bytes spendable in actual use cases developed by the participants of the Use-a-Thon.

I've seen the suggestions about expanding the concept to other universities in developing countries where the $10 is comparatively worth more than ie. the US or EU. And this has been the plan right from the get go of this initiative.

At the moment, we're gathering information and experience from this first edition of the Byteball Use-a-Thon, which is definitely needed in order to expand to more universities. We encounter problems and questions on a daily basis, that we hadn't thought of, and some of the events at the university couldn't possibly have been foreseen. We also quickly came to the conclusion, that in order for the initiative to have more effect, it would be a smart move to also reward a team of documentarists. During the period of the Use-a-Thon, they will take pictures, do short interviews and/or video clips that will help us build the case when presenting it to other universities.

We also currently ran into the problem, that the university's mail server actually blacklisted the byteball.org domain (any decent spam filter would probably consider thousands of almost identical emails sent from the same address in a few days a text-book example of spam) so we had to get contacts from the Student Council and the on-site coordinating professor meet with the IT department of the university to explain the reason for this.

All in all, there's simply just SO many things, that we discover and learn from doing this, that it wouldn't be plausible to host multiple contests at this point in time. I wouldn't be exaggerating if I say that me and the two other organizers spend somewhere between 3 and 4 hours a day, sorting out issues, having correspondence with university representatives and making needed decisions on things we hadn't thought of before the contest was announced.

My long term dream is to run a series of contests at several universities in a broad range of developing countries. Then - have a huge inter-university contest, where all winning teams will compete against winning teams from other universities in one major Use-a-Thon. That one should of course have a massive prize pool, and preferably include some kind of event, where participants are invited to attend some kind of event where winners will be announced. All contestants would have their travel and living expenses covered. But this is a long term dream, and at this point in time, not feasible. But who knows what the future will bring Smiley

As soon as we start receiving material from the documentary team at the Universidad Simòn Bolìvar, we will start publishing articles and news on the progress, so stay tuned, and if possible, lend a helping hand with whatever the students might request help with. There's plenty to do, and I must say, that being able to directly affect the adoption of the Byteball project is really amazing! This is only possible with smaller projects like Byteball before they grow too big. Had this been an Ethereum-effort, it would simply be a drop in the ocean. I therefore highly encourage everyone to contribute and come up with cool ideas. The Byteball Grants program is open for everyone with great ideas. So get started! Smiley

Cheers!
Punqtured

I'm very proud of the Byteball community for being able to do something like this!

Follow me on twitter! I'm a private Bitcoin and altcoin hodler. Giving away crypto for free on my Twitter feed!
kaicrypzen

Activity: 1344
Merit: 656

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 12:34:57 PM

Yes there are. Last time I checked (which was a very long time ago), there were two more developers.

internetofthings5

Activity: 50

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 02:38:01 PM

I got one question. Since there is no mining, how can someone earn tokens easily?
GiGa#

Activity: 31
Merit: 109

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 03:27:34 PM

I got one question. Since there is no mining, how can someone earn tokens easily?
Which Free distribution method listed in the OP are you not finding easy to implement?
MonsterV
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 03:39:41 PM

Yes there are. Last time I checked (which was a very long time ago), there were two more developers.
What that means is now BYTEBALL uncertain in pengang by which development team, I see it seems currently BYTEBALL mutually replace the team of developers.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
     ▄▀█▀█ █████████████▄▄
   ▄██ █ █▄████████████████▄
  ██ █ ██▀█ █████████████████
 █▀█▄█▄▀█▄██▄█████████████████
██ █ ██ ██ ██▄▀████████████████
███▀█▀██ ███▀███▀██████████████
███▄██ ██▄▀██▄███▄█████████████
 ███▄▀██▀██▄▀██▄▀██▄▀▀████████
  █████▀█▄█▀█▄▀▀██▄▀▀██▄▄▀█▀█
   ▀████▄███▄█▀█▄▄▀▀▀█▄▄█▀█▀
     ▀▀████▄▀██▄▄█▀▀█▄▄▄▀▀
         ▀▀▀██▄▄███▀▀▀
......1xBit.com..BENEFIT ..SEASON........
       ▄▄███████████▄▄
    ▄███████████████████▄
  ▄██████████████████████▄
 █████████████████████████
██████████████████████████▌
████████████████████████████▄▄
███████████████████████████████
        █    █▄   █
        ▀▀▄    ▀▀▀█▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
           ▀▀▄    ▀▀▄▄█      ▄▀
              ▀▀▄     █▀▀▄▄  █
                 ▀▀▄  █   ▄█▀
                    ▀▀█▄▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
BitcoinArsenal

Activity: 924
Merit: 556

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 04:23:10 PM

The easiest way to find out how many programmers are actively programming is checking the Github repository. 20 people have contributed code so far. Some are less or more active but there is around one dozen developers which are contributing regularly. Check out here https://github.com/byteball/byteball/graphs/contributors
September11Myth

Activity: 387
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 07:39:34 PM

4. Following your instructions I could actually get the destination address to appear in the field where you usually would get it by the way of the drop down menu, but as I've clicked send I've got the mistake: "Impossible to send the payment: precommit callback failed: [a string of text]: conflicting spend proof in inner unit [a string of text]"

Sounds like the "bytes" you have are possibly not valid... due to being used in another transaction. Not sure if it's referring to the "normal" bytes or the "blackbytes".

So, do you know if you are trying to send blackbytes that are no longer available? Did you at some point restore from an old backup or have the same wallet (same seed) running on more than one device or anything that you think could have somehow corrupted one or both the wallets?

In fact I have made a little mess, after your comment I've realized it, the wallet with the blackbytes to be transferred I have just discovered was an old FULL node wallet which I've opened with a light wallet app just by renaming the data folders - it's quite logic it wouldn't work I guess. To get it work I suppose I should restore an old backup. Well, this would be good news, it means no bugs in Byteball wallet and some bugs just in my mind Smiley

⚪ Byteball          I T   J U S T   W O R K S .   
Sending Crypto to Email   -   Risk-Free Conditional Smart Payments   -   ICO Platform with KYC
ANN THREAD                  TELEGRAM                     TWITTER                  MEDIUM                  SLACK                  REDDIT
Technicrate

Activity: 68

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 07:59:20 PM

I got some through my BTC holding.
Erik Goff

Activity: 261
Merit: 10

https://assetsplit.org/

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 08:05:49 PM

I see that price dropped from 1000$ to 150$, why?
Also a small volume for such a big coin..  Huh

⚜⚜⚜  ASSETSPLIT ICO  ⚜⚜⚜
⚡⚡⚡Asset Split is the place to build shares of your valuables⚡⚡⚡
♻ ▬▬▬▬▬  Facebook ♦️️ Twitter ♦️️ Telegram ♦️️ Discord ♦️️ Bitcointalk   ▬▬▬▬▬ ♻
pineapple express

Activity: 630
Merit: 103

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 09:10:16 PM
Last edit: May 24, 2018, 09:34:25 PM by pineapple express

I see that price dropped from 1000$ to 150$, why?
sell more than buy?
Also a small volume for such a big coin..  Huh
because sellers can't find a buyers at this price and are not yet ready to sell at the lower price
or buyers can't find a sellers at this price and are not yet ready to buy at the higher price
or all who wanted to sell have already sold, and all who wanted to buy already bought
such a big coin.
not really big, there only 15btc in buy orders. If you have 100 btc in this coin, unlikely you will get even 1/2 after the dump. Very little coin, not big
CryptKeeper
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 05:03:36 AM

Tony is waiting for a token to continue with the wcg payouts:

rewards are not working now because of GDPR https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/help/viewTopic.do?shortName=api#834  I contacted them and wait for a token
(from slack)

Follow me on twitter! I'm a private Bitcoin and altcoin hodler. Giving away crypto for free on my Twitter feed!
Pages: « 1 ... 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 [949] 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 ... 1126 »
  Print  

Jump to: