Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:18:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 2112 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 2124 2125 2126 2127 2128 2129 [2130] 2131 2132 2133 2134 2135 2136 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049460 times)
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 01:40:43 PM

Fixing the batch 2's for 0.2 btc would be worth it if it were batch one. I sold batch 2 for 0.15 BTC. You might want to price match the fix so batch 2 customers don't feel like they are paying for a whole new board.
Well, since the batch 2 boards appear broken I would assume that the seller refunded the cost of the board as what was delivered appears to be (at least in the case of 2 received and reviewed so far) a non-working board. That's not my issue or concern, and doesn't affect the prices I charge for my tools and time.

By that logic the total increase in cost of ownership to the end user is only .05btc plus shipping. .2 also accounts for my time, effort, and the (one) Pi fried so far in troubleshooting this thing blind, as the maker of the board is unable/unwilling to provide information on it. So I have to do it the good old fashioned way (my brain and time), just like the KNC boards.

C

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 01:53:41 PM

Fixing the batch 2's for 0.2 btc would be worth it if it were batch one. I sold batch 2 for 0.15 BTC. You might want to price match the fix so batch 2 customers don't feel like they are paying for a whole new board.
Well, since the batch 2 boards appear broken I would assume that the seller refunded the cost of the board as what was delivered appears to be (at least in the case of 2 received and reviewed so far) a non-working board. That's not my issue or concern, and doesn't affect the prices I charge for my tools and time.

By that logic the total increase in cost of ownership to the end user is only .05btc plus shipping. .2 also accounts for my time, effort, and the (one) Pi fried so far in troubleshooting this thing blind, as the maker of the board is unable/unwilling to provide information on it. So I have to do it the good old fashioned way (my brain and time), just like the KNC boards.

C

Again ..no slam on you...just saying no one getting the  batch 2 qberty boards as of *yet I hope still*  has been compensated for the fact they did not work..probably (my guess 20 folk?)

I was just a venting Sad Likely if you get them to work I will FLIP the bridge boards with some Jupiter boards and a PI and maybe get what I got in out of this with someone who needs a complete bridge/titan board setup

but like most plans ..it is probably moot I have no control over any of this

We will see if qberty comes thru on 3rd batch and replaces the non working stuff as he says he may to the 2nd batch non-working folk  Again Qberty no slam intended but it has been months....so not exactly looking good from our end in the consumer dept of the product ...

Not much I can do about it at this point in time but send lightfoot the bridges and get something out of it

later

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
qberty

Activity: 405
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 07:01:42 PM

It feels like you guys are being hostile when i'm not. There's only so much I can do when it comes to crowdfunded products. You are providing a service to fix the boards for a price. That is not the same and comparable to what I did in making them. 0.2 BTC would literally cost a customer more than the price of the board itself and all the parts put together by anyone at the current rate of BTC to fiat right now. My point is, for the big bulk buyers that got it for 0.15 and the smaller buyers that got it for 0.20 paid way earlier in the year with the price being of lower value.

So unless you're saying that your fix is of higher value/comparable to someone designing a PCB, buying all the parts, and putting it together as a product, it just seems like you're taking advantage of people's need for the fix. I'd like to see you try and design it and source all the parts and have it manufactured (while controlling the fab) and still only charge 0.2 btc for your "tools and time". You know full well I can't just release a company trade secret yet you add the "/unwilling" end as if i'm purposefully trying to hide everything. If that were the case, I wouldn't even have made batch 1's and none of the big miners would be running their titans. I take offense.

Searing, I know you're venting, but you clearly don't understand the circumstances. A refund makes sense and is feasible when you make a product, have it mass produced, and sell it. Refunding can be done on a singular basis and can be taken out of the owners funds. A crowdfunded product was only possible using the funds from everyone combined to get the product to even exist. Refunds aren't feasible as there's no mass production, there's no development teams to deal with it easily, and there certainly isn't the capital to handle it. Again, you're treating me like i'm a self-contained company. I'm just a guy that's trying to help KNC customers. It worked the first time, failed the second time. So I learn from it. If I had the capital to offer refunds, then a crowdfunding thing wouldn't even be necessary.

I'm literally making titan mining still doable as it's rare that any big buying customers with more than 1 set, have their original bridges without burning them.

On my third batch I did say, if I get a bulk enough order than i'll be shipping the rest to batch 2 buyers for free and i'm sticking to my word. I'm waiting for a couple more people to get on board before I start however.

I'm also working on an extremely cheap closed loop liquid cooling solution that seems to be working nicely. Looks like I can reproduce stable 65-70 C temps on the VRMs reliably. I'll post some pics soon.
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 10:28:53 PM

It feels like you guys are being hostile when i'm not. There's only so much I can do when it comes to crowdfunded products. You are providing a service to fix the boards for a price. That is not the same and comparable to what I did in making them. 0.2 BTC would literally cost a customer more than the price of the board itself and all the parts put together by anyone at the current rate of BTC to fiat right now. My point is, for the big bulk buyers that got it for 0.15 and the smaller buyers that got it for 0.20 paid way earlier in the year with the price being of lower value.

Um.... No, not hostile, just working. I charge my time and effort which includes figuring things out. Remember I've spent part of a week taking this little bridge board thing apart, reverse engineering the leads, scratching my head at why the grounds are different from a rational design (most people don't route 3.3v from a charge pump to ground) figuring out the component using a scope, and risking my own gear (my bridgeboard, my pi, and my controller board which costs me $90 in parts and an hour of cursing and two reheats to swap the fpga every time I blow it out because KNC didn't #&$@*$@ put any buffers on the outputs).

That's totally independent of the time it takes to design (if I had the design I would be a big big big step ahead in life but I don't and that's that) and work with a firm to fab boards. If I had the mask files for any of this, it would be a snap.

So unless you're saying that your fix is of higher value/comparable to someone designing a PCB, buying all the parts, and putting it together as a product, it just seems like you're taking advantage of people's need for the fix. I'd like to see you try and design it and source all the parts and have it manufactured (while controlling the fab) and still only charge 0.2 btc for your "tools and time". You know full well I can't just release a company trade secret yet you add the "/unwilling" end as if i'm purposefully trying to hide everything. If that were the case, I wouldn't even have made batch 1's and none of the big miners would be running their titans. I take offense.

It's different skills, and thus not comparable. I charge at least $150 an hour for professional work partially because I value my time and partially because I can get paid a lot more for my main line of work (and there are only so many hours in the day). So far this week I have spent a lot more than that figuring out some of these problems, so my bill rate is probably pretty low :-)

As for you not being able to say anything, well you can't and that's fine, I can figure it out myself. Just takes a long time, using fuzzers on these boards is a bitch on wheels  due to the 6-8 layers and the monster ground planes in there. Also stuff goes weird places and some of the design decisions don't match what I would call anything rational. Which is why I post my stuff on my fixing forum, because other people should (and have done) working on my work. Since I have no encumbrances I can do that.

As for value, let's just say rework is not something that can be done easily (I have reversed the damage done by at least one other person trying to rework SOT23's with a blowtorch somewhere in the world) and takes some skill. If people wish to undercut me on price then by all means please DO SO!, having more people fixing this stuff is good, and gives home miners options.

I'm literally making titan mining still doable as it's rare that any big buying customers with more than 1 set, have their original bridges without burning them.

I appreciate this, that's why I fix this stuff. Big big customers have their own shops and have probably twisted KNC's arm for the schematics. I just help level the field for the home miners. I also dispense advice around here, mostly telling people to STOP RUNNING THEM AT FULL BLAST and run them at 60mh per cube. Cooler, less power overload, etc. Also this is a several thousand dollar item made of ultra cutting edge parts for a cryptocurrency philosophy that is the cutting edge of the future. Don't run it in a fucking barn (I say as I literally had to clean horse crap out of one board. Yes. Straw included. Yes, the Straw had caught fire. Several Times based on the burns on the board).

On my third batch I did say, if I get a bulk enough order than i'll be shipping the rest to batch 2 buyers for free and i'm sticking to my word. I'm waiting for a couple more people to get on board before I start however.

Sounds good. In the meantime if anyone is dead in the water drop me a line or read my other thread on fixing these things for fun and laughs. You can do the fix yourself on the stock KNC boards (I believe I documented it in my thread) if you can use a fine-tipped soldering iron, have good eyes or a 3x loupe, and can get wire wrap wire from Radio Slack. That and a steady hand will do it.
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
November 19, 2016, 06:59:40 PM

And in the ter-fucking-ific category, it looks like the Rpi model B 1.2 models currently on Amazon.com have a slightly different CPU and will not boot the stock KNC firmware. So we're dead in the water there.

Stupid micro-code. This could be a problem.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
November 20, 2016, 02:55:11 AM

And in the ter-fucking-ific category, it looks like the Rpi model B 1.2 models currently on Amazon.com have a slightly different CPU and will not boot the stock KNC firmware. So we're dead in the water there.

You could be correct  Element 14 has them on eBay and they look like this with heatsinks built in

vs the old without heatsinks included version of Raspberry Pi B+ 512mb v1.2

Anyway ...the pic with the heatsinks may come with the CPU mod you specify. The dates on the board are the same. So maybe there is a way to tell the difference just by the
heatsinks?

Anyway, all I got. Others can chime in if they are getting Pi's w/o this heatsink mod which will make my above point moot. But what I saw on eBay at a quick glance.

So if correct we will have to avoid the NEW versions with the heatsink. (no way to tell used ones if someone added a heatsink thou).

Hopefully at least a guy will have that much as a hint?

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2016, 04:50:25 AM
Last edit: November 20, 2016, 05:46:17 AM by lightfoot

I think we're fucked. I just spent 6 hours working on this code trash heap they call KNC. The problem is when you update the damn OS it breaks all the I2C extensions and re-enabling them is a work of pain.

Somebody else fix this, ok? It's pretty obvious that even older revision technology is incompatible with itself. Because stupid. It looks like it might be in the device tree support; I was able to get at least something up with turning that off, but the one i2c driver does not see any of the devices on the Pi at all.

Whole day shot to hell.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
November 20, 2016, 08:19:40 AM

I think we're fucked. I just spent 6 hours working on this code trash heap they call KNC. The problem is when you update the damn OS it breaks all the I2C extensions and re-enabling them is a work of pain.

Somebody else fix this, ok? It's pretty obvious that even older revision technology is incompatible with itself. Because stupid. It looks like it might be in the device tree support; I was able to get at least something up with turning that off, but the one i2c driver does not see any of the devices on the Pi at all.

Whole day shot to hell.

So when the 'old stock' of the labeled the same Raspberry Pi B+ 512mb units are gone. WE are screwed..because there is NO WAY to tell till you plug the puppies in
IF they are newer and won't work?

IS there any difference on the boards. The heatsink picture is what comes up on some  new sales I've seen but all else on the board is identical including the silkscreen of

v1.2 2014 tag

Gonna be really, really annoying if there is no way to tell old v1.2 from new version v1.2 Raspberry Pi 512 mb boards. I looked at my boxes for such, no code version on the boxes

I have either.

Anyway is the above where we are at? The units I found new with heatsinks mean nothing for identification? They were just an add on of no conseguence?

Again if so that will really suck Sad

AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 22, 2016, 01:52:48 PM

Not good news at all. I try to keep up with the hardware issues on these things even though so far Ive been lucky and only had to deal with dead dies on my titan. No controller issues at all *knocks on wood*.

lightfoot, I took your advice (i think it was yours anyway) awhile back and only ran mine at 275mhz per die and have upgraded the cooling per searings advice just to get this thing to last as long as possible.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2016, 02:14:11 PM

Indeed. The problem seems to be that the video chip in use in the latest RPi B+ 512 1.2 Pi's requires the later bootloader and kernel than what is in the 2.00 release. The problem with this is the latest kernel totally breaks the SIO interface so things don't work for crap. It's possible someone can find the last kernel, bootloader, and elf that supported the old SPI standards we could try that. I spent all weekend screwing with this, someone else can help.

In the meantime I've picked up the "make the damn beaglebone work". After pounding for the rest of the weekend I have waas up, website up, I can configure the Titans (and Neptunes), and have bfgminer compiled to the point where it can see the knc0-4 devices but they don't initialize.

So close. There are a lot of errors in the KNC documentation, compiling this is a pain in the ass. I think the final issue is in asic.c.

C
vegasguy
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1003

"Yobit pump alert software" Link in my signature!

View Profile
December 02, 2016, 04:50:05 PM

Do you think Tarkin can modify his code to boot with a later pi version? I would gladly pay to see this done, as I was the first to pay for custom work from him for the Titan miner project.

Vegas

I want to make sure everyone knows that I just released my software called "Yobit pump alert". THis is custom software that uses an algo to detect the start of a pump here on yobit, the second it starts. YOu can even filter the coins you see by price. Most pumps start less than 100 sats , so you can easily filter the cheap coins, so they are the only ones displayed Smiley https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1945937.msg20241953#msg20241953
dogjunior

Activity: 407
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 02, 2016, 05:44:17 PM

My rb pi is a rb pi 3 model B V1.2. Will this work with the Qberty board? Maybe this is why my board does not function? I did not think of this.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
December 02, 2016, 07:23:11 PM

My rb pi is a rb pi 3 model B V1.2. Will this work with the Qberty board? Maybe this is why my board does not function? I did not think of this.

How do you tell old version from new?  Heatsinks? The silkscreen on board is the same.

dogjunior

Activity: 407
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 02, 2016, 08:43:53 PM

How do you tell old version from new?  Heatsinks? The silkscreen on board is the same.

Why didn't those pricks use a beaglebone? RB pi nothing but problems.
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 03, 2016, 02:18:39 AM

Do you think Tarkin can modify his code to boot with a later pi version? I would gladly pay to see this done, as I was the first to pay for custom work from him for the Titan miner project.

Vegas

Problem is, I dont have physical interaction w/ my Titan and henceforth its RPI...so, I cant really chance updating anything that would cause it to not easily be recoverable =(

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2016, 03:59:11 AM

Vegas

Problem is, I dont have physical interaction w/ my Titan and henceforth its RPI...so, I cant really chance updating anything that would cause it to not easily be recoverable =(
That's a problem. I put the BB port on the side for a bit, if someone really wants me to blow a weekend hacking a version of Debian/Pi that will boot let me know.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
December 03, 2016, 01:28:28 PM

Vegas

That's a problem. I put the BB port on the side for a bit, if someone really wants me to blow a weekend hacking a version of Debian/Pi that will boot let me know.

Damn..it would help us greatly if you could become WEALTHY as well as eccentric...to keep the BBB project and others going on here..don't ya know Smiley Work on that will ya?

By the By I assume the Qberty 2nd batch PI fix attempts are also 'dead' at this time? (going for 100% in the wrong direction..its a theme I tell ya.. ..ho ya ..) Sad

lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2016, 01:42:45 PM

Damn..it would help us greatly if you could become WEALTHY as well as eccentric...to keep the BBB project and others going on here..don't ya know Smiley Work on that will ya?

By the By I assume the Qberty 2nd batch PI fix attempts are also 'dead' at this time? (going for 100% in the wrong direction..its a theme I tell ya.. ..ho ya ..) Sad
I'll put some time on it this weekend, been testing your cube (the cap is back on, the solder was bad, 64mh as seen below) and on a separate controller Johnny's (fun little project, was totally dead, now running fine but occasionally resets the power supply. Run it on its' own supply and it is happy). His other cube is a mystery: Supplies now come up (two shorted), communications restored, but the chip doesn't hash.

As for the BB's I was waiting for a need for more fpga's so I don't do a 5 buck order. Sure enough got another one in for fixing, so order going out for higher pf crystals.

C

bfgminer version 5.4.2-titan-2.02 - Started: [2016-12-02 20:21:48] - [  0 days 17:18:49]
 [M]anage devices [P]ool management Settings [D]isplay options                                                                               [H]elp [Q]uit
 Pool 0: us.litecoinpool.or  Diff:125m  +Strtm  LU:[13:40:26]  User:Well yeah, right....
 Block: ...2a7ab326c9461e01  Diff:67.7k (484.8G)  Started: [13:38:43]  I: 1.22mBTC/hr
 ST:21  F:0  NB:411  AS:0  BW:[ 24/ 14 B/s]  E:0.77  BS:485
 1/4           | 66.05/64.25/64.14Mh/s | A:7304 R:42+0(.57%) HW:1207/.50%
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 KNC 0a:       | 13.98/13.57/13.57Mh/s | A:1543 R: 6+0(.39%) HW: 203/.40%
 KNC 0b:       | 10.91/13.59/13.56Mh/s | A:1514 R: 9+0(.59%) HW: 221/.44%
 KNC 0c:       | 24.05/18.56/18.52Mh/s | A:2146 R:14+0(.65%) HW: 415/.60%
 KNC 0d:       | 19.57/18.52/18.48Mh/s | A:2102 R:13+0(.61%) HW: 368/.53%
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 [2016-12-03 13:35:56] Accepted 0005a5a2 KNC 0c Diff 177m/125m
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2016, 01:44:11 PM

The qberty board has a short on its' 3.3 volt line where it runs through the crystal. That keeps the Pi from even powering up (and might blow up the Pi if your PSU was big enough). I've cleared the short on a test board, but am also fiddling with the crystals.

C
imbladednow

Activity: 481
Merit: 500

Woking as a binman sucks.

View Profile
December 03, 2016, 09:08:30 PM

You could be correct  Element 14 has them on eBay and they look like this with heatsinks built in

vs the old without heatsinks included version of Raspberry Pi B+ 512mb v1.2

Anyway ...the pic with the heatsinks may come with the CPU mod you specify. The dates on the board are the same. So maybe there is a way to tell the difference just by the
heatsinks?

Anyway, all I got. Others can chime in if they are getting Pi's w/o this heatsink mod which will make my above point moot. But what I saw on eBay at a quick glance.

So if correct we will have to avoid the NEW versions with the heatsink. (no way to tell used ones if someone added a heatsink thou).

Hopefully at least a guy will have that much as a hint?

How much can that chip mine?

I need crypto in my life and garbage out of it.
Pages: « 1 ... 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 2112 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 2124 2125 2126 2127 2128 2129 [2130] 2131 2132 2133 2134 2135 2136 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: