Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 06:15:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 2049 2050 2051 2052 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 [2092] 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 2112 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 2124 2125 2126 2127 2128 2129 2130 2131 2132 2133 2134 2135 2136 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049421 times)
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 2222

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 12:04:50 AM

The intial and primary goal of my firmware since its inception and to this day has been to bring "sleeping, dropped or w/e u wanna call them" dies back to a hashing state. In order to do this my firmware issues cube power up / downs to bring back the affected die(s). In order to carry out a full power cycle on a cube bfgminer has to be stopped prior to the power up / down then started again after the power cycling.

Interesting. Did you power down the die by dropping the DC-DC's to zero, or did you use a command in the KNC chipset? I don't see anything big enough on the board to be a 12 volt interrupt.

As to why the pi may be rebooting on your. The pi reboots whenever it detects communication via the i2c bus to the controller board stops working(most likely due to the controller board locking up). Rebooting the pi instructs the controller board to power cycle & reflash the binary code to the FPGA which reinitializes the FPGA on controller board.
Interesting. That explains why when I fired up a 2.00 code set on my Gen 1 Rpi it kept rebooting. It's something in /etc/init.d, I stopped it by moving all the files in there into a "fubar" subdirectory. Whatever works.

Now working on compiling the code to run on a straight beaglebone+neptune. Should work....

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 01:21:38 AM

The intial and primary goal of my firmware since its inception and to this day has been to bring "sleeping, dropped or w/e u wanna call them" dies back to a hashing state. In order to do this my firmware issues cube power up / downs to bring back the affected die(s). In order to carry out a full power cycle on a cube bfgminer has to be stopped prior to the power up / down then started again after the power cycling.

Interesting. Did you power down the die by dropping the DC-DC's to zero, or did you use a command in the KNC chipset? I don't see anything big enough on the board to be a 12 volt interrupt.

As to why the pi may be rebooting on your. The pi reboots whenever it detects communication via the i2c bus to the controller board stops working(most likely due to the controller board locking up). Rebooting the pi instructs the controller board to power cycle & reflash the binary code to the FPGA which reinitializes the FPGA on controller board.
Interesting. That explains why when I fired up a 2.00 code set on my Gen 1 Rpi it kept rebooting. It's something in /etc/init.d, I stopped it by moving all the files in there into a "fubar" subdirectory. Whatever works.

Now working on compiling the code to run on a straight beaglebone+neptune. Should work....

a, The DCDC's are programmable, so powering down the die is accomplished by issuing the DCDC's power off and on.
b, Yeah, there are versions of Titan which refuse to work w/ anything higher than like v1.03 firmware. Im not sure exactly what the difference is. I have yet to been able to remote into one of them(if anyone would let me) to see if I can figure out why the i2c bus refuses to work on these titans w/ anything higher than v1.03 =/

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
getro

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 05:38:45 PM

hi,

i am very intereseted by your custom firmware, but i one of my won't start, itried with differend cable and power supply but it won't start.

Do you know where is the problem Huh?

Do you think your Firmware is able to awake this cube Huh?

thank you in advance
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 06:26:33 PM

hi,

i am very intereseted by your custom firmware, but i one of my won't start, itried with differend cable and power supply but it won't start.

Do you know where is the problem Huh?

Do you think your Firmware is able to awake this cube Huh?

thank you in advance
Does the power supply shut down as soon as you turn it on? Did fire shoot out the back of the unit?

If the answer to either of these is "yes" then one of the power modules has shorted. I have one on the bench here that was being run in a barn (sigh). The dirt, straw, and whatnot built up on the caps until they overheated resulting in blown FETs and a small pretty plasma ball when I tested the supply off-board.

I can oddly enough fix this.

If it doesn't see the miner and Tarkin's code doesn't get it back online, then the chip overheated and fused the solder underneath. Mess. Can be fixed sometimes, but bit of a bitch on wheels to do.

getro

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 08:04:20 PM

the power supply shut down when i tunr it on.

Do you think i can fix the problem ?

if it is a Fet i will difficult to find and change.

lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 08:36:52 PM

the power supply shut down when i tunr it on.

Do you think i can fix the problem ?

if it is a Fet i will difficult to find and change.
Honest mode: With a soldering iron and some luck? No.

In order to fix boards properly you really need a good pre-heater (not a toaster oven. No. Just. No.) and a ok air rework tool (Aoyue isn't bad) and experience in using both. I've got another thread where I have been documenting all of my Neptune and Titan repairs here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1283859.new#new

If you would like me to work on it, send me a PM.
getro

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 01:15:26 AM

problem is i live in France and just for info what is the price to fix this cube
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1698

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 10:24:36 AM

Anyone know if the Jupiter controller will work with the Neptune? Are the data cables also the same ?

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1459

Clueless!

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 11:54:30 AM

Anyone know if the Jupiter controller will work with the Neptune? Are the data cables also the same ?

supposedly....thou there is a difference between the Oct 2013 and before Jupiter/Saturn/Mercury controllers and the Nov 2nd (last) batch of Jupiter's only

so you should probably try this with a Nov Jupiter board...what I was told on knc forums by knc techs (for what it is worth forums are down...damn I wish

someone had archived it...I go to way back machine and only get back to the titles of each msg lol ) Sad

anyway I heard they work ....and probably even with the controllers before the Nov units

should be others on here that have done such I'd think

the question on here that I'm chasing is with a 'cloned' titan bridge/daughter card (needed) from the PI B+ 512mb and the say Nov Neptune 6 port card

can you get THAT to run a Titan......have the cloned bridge coming..have the proper pi B+ 512mb (supposedly as told to me back in the day by knc staff...still iffy
clowns) soooooooo..

anyone want to send me a Neptune card to try (I'll send it back) a guy SHOULD be able to tell if this works with the LCD and the GUI coming up even with NO
cubes..if that happened I'd prob take a chance and try a cube..but have NO neppie controller

anyway other thing that is being kicked around Smiley

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 01:21:01 AM

Update:

Going forward, all sales will be handled exclusively through my website: http://gentarkincustomtitan.pcriot.com

I will eventually create a new ebay ad as well, which will link to my site for clarity and customers of sales made on ebay will use my site as a portal for receiving my firmware & future updates.

All proceeds from sales on my site will go to the the developer of the project(myself).

I do not have access to the customer list that vegasguy maintained so  ... I will have to try and figure out my customer base from scratch. Anyone on here this forum that has purchased firmware using vegasguy's site can send me a pm w/ ur email and subsequently create an account using the same email address on the new site.  I will also need to see a copy of the confirmation email received when ordering from either vegasguy's site or a paypal receipt from ebay showing that the firmware was purchased from either source.
**NOTE** For the above ... customer verification only needs to happen when I release a new version of the firmware. So, there is no rush on this.

vegasguy has closed the portion of his site for my firmware permanently, has also removed the ebay ad.   ... or so he says and has done, but may eventually try creating new sites .. etc..

Sorry for the inconvenience, I ask the community for patience as I sort this all out. I do plan on releasing the "energy saver" edition after this gets settled.

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 03:03:37 AM

problem is i live in France and just for info what is the price to fix this cube
France is not too far away from the US, I can PM you a price but posting pictures is the best way to start.
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 03:05:24 AM

Tarkin, question: Does your source code fix the issue where a power supply literally disappears? I've had this happen twice on a Titan in, power cycling clears it and it is different supplies at different times. If your code fixes that then it is exceptionally "worth it" as trying to power a die with a single supply will result in a blown up component quickly...
qberty

Activity: 405
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 06:38:03 PM

Alright, I've sold most of the KnC Titan Bridges. I've got 2-3 left. If anyone wants more than that please pm me about it so I can see if it's feasible to get more made.
tolip_wen

Activity: 386

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 07:52:49 PM

Yes, they work fine if you load the correct firmware.

The controller never changed between Oct and Nov hoopiter.

For future reference, Searing has no clue, he just likes to hear himself talk and get his advertisement/sig more posts.
I would also point out that he easily could have a clue.
He has been given answers to most of the current questions but he is too busy talking to listen.

YMMV
Smiley

'twisted research and opinion' donations happily accepted @
13362fxFAdrhagmCvSmFy4WoHrNRPG2V57
My sub 1337 vanity address Wink
GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 09:33:46 PM
Last edit: January 11, 2016, 09:45:26 PM by GenTarkin

Tarkin, question: Does your source code fix the issue where a power supply literally disappears? I've had this happen twice on a Titan in, power cycling clears it and it is different supplies at different times. If your code fixes that then it is exceptionally "worth it" as trying to power a die with a single supply will result in a blown up component quickly...

If you have PSU's randomly disappearing from your Titan then you have some burglary you should check into =P

On a more serious note, are you referring to dies which eventually stop hashing and a power cycle is needed to bring them back?
If so, then yes, that was the first thing I addressed when I bought my Titan, just to see if I could issue power cycling of the dies as needed, automatically.

That was one of the reasons I started writing the firmware mod, once I found out this was possible a whole galaxy of cool ideas were born and thats what my firmware is today =)

So, my firmware will power cycle the DCDC's of a cube when a die on that cube is detected as being "sleeping, dropped off, stopped hashing ... whatever you wanna call it" ... so far, taking into account peoples success w/ my firmware. Id say about 99% of the time my firmware brings those dies back hashing =) .. it works flawlessly 100% of the time on my titan.

If theres a true hardware problem w/ ur titan tho then of course my firmware cant do much bout that =P

Check out all the features of my firmware here: http://gentarkincustomtitan.pcriot.com

I just read my site and seems I didnt have that clearly stated in my list of features of firmware. I stated it in paragraphs above it but I can see how that can easily be overlooked. So, I just tweaked the list and wording a bit =)

Oh wait wait, I just reread what u asked. Are you talking about one of the DCDC's disapearing for a respective die but the die continues to hash?
If so, to answer that, my firmware on its current release does not address that problem. Its rare and I didnt catch it for a long time.
Sometimes when it does that it will drive the single remaining DCDC as hard as it can and pulls near 50-60A through the poor thing =( ... eventually the DCDC will simply just shut itself down because these DCDC's do have overcurrent protection & overheat protectio(both extreme cases) built in. If the DCDC doesnt entirely shut itself down it will go into a current limiting mode where it will give the ASIC all the power it can but in a very spurty manner, so the ASIC can hash at roughly just over half the speed(half the output from the ASIC will be HW errors) while the DCDC can remain powered on.

The next release my firmware will catch that condition and it will power cycle the affected ASIC and bring both DCDC's back online(given that one of the DCDC's arent permanently damaged).

lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 09:47:50 PM

If you have PSU's randomly disappearing from your Titan then you have some burglary you should check into =P
Heh. I've been pulling power supplies from Neptunes and now a Titan. Sometimes it's because I am troubleshooting the supply reading 0.0 volts (dead short, usually under chip, bitch to reflow) sometimes because the power supply turned into a little cute inferno. In these cases advanced screen will show the skipped supplies like 0,1,4,5,6,7

This is a bit different. What I see is a Titan where it hashes away with supplies 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 all purring, then when I come back the next day it shows only supplies 0,1,3,4,5,6,7. 2 literally is not there from the advanced view. If I reset the second die, 3 will try to supply *all* the power. Which will probably cause a quick and fun fireball.

Power cycle the cube and 2 reappears and it hashes happily. But sometimes it's a different supply that "vanishes". Really odd.
If theres a true hardware problem w/ ur titan tho then of course my firmware cant do much bout that =P

Oh wait wait, I just reread what u asked. Are you talking about one of the DCDC's disapearing for a respective die but the die continues to hash?
If so, to answer that, my firmware on its current release does not address that problem. Its rare and I didnt catch it for a long time.
Sometimes when it does that it will drive the single remaining DCDC as hard as it can and pulls near 50-60A through the poor thing =( ... eventually the DCDC will simply just shut itself down because these DCDC's do have overcurrent protection & overheat protectio(both extreme cases) built in. If the DCDC doesnt entirely shut itself down it will go into a current limiting mode where it will give the ASIC all the power it can but in a very spurty manner, so the ASIC can hash at roughly just over half the speed(half the output from the ASIC will be HW errors) while the DCDC can remain powered on.

The next release my firmware will catch that condition and it will power cycle the affected ASIC and bring both DCDC's back online.
That's it. Your firmware rocks, and while I think I can see how to fix this with appropriate calls, it's a billion times better to just say "Pay Tarkin $50, it's the best $50 you spend" than pay me substantially more to pull and swap power supplies. I will flag this as "logical sense solution exists" and focus on the fireballs.

Next up: Why a shorted Titan shorts down the whole FPGA by shorting pins 4,6 on the 10 pin header. What's that all about :-)
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1459

Clueless!

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 08:20:25 AM

For future reference, Searing has no clue, he just likes to hear himself talk and get his advertisement/sig more posts.
He has been given answers to most of the current questions but he is too busy talking to listen.

YMMV
Smiley

well I'm not gonna slam you for helping me...but has anyone tried this with an OCT jupiter/saturn/mercury ..they do not work with a NOV Jupiter cubes etc (mix/match)

that is my question as well...I have an OCT Jupiter Board...but to be safe ..someone should at least TRY this first with an LCD and the GUI with NO cubes and see
on ideally 1st a Neptune board in question..then next likely is the NOV jupiter board (last run) then perhaps my OCT Jupiter or others like saturn/mercury boards?

if it kinda works before tossing a Titan cube to sacrifice to the ASIC gods .....with this OCT Jupiter board

I agree it SHOULD work....at least as a test with the LCD and the GUI with no cubes to start...but again ideal would be with a neptune controller 1st imho

THAT is the main issue...i have a clone bridge coming..got it as a spare (miners are 14.5 months old orig titan warranty was 90 days sooooooo seemed prudent
with 2 titans and the 'possiblity' that is the missing piece to the controller problem ..a complete clone hardware work about

supposedly have the proper pi (nov 2014) as a spare also ...according to knc tech staff at that time (assuming they know zip) raspberry pi B+ 512mb model

just trying to help ....don't like the way i say or do such ...big whoop....at least I'm trying to ask some questions on this (ie will clone bridge work on neptune 6 port board?)

anyway thanks for the confirmation ..I will take it as help from you....no issues...BUT some confirmation of HAS SOMEONE ACTUALLY DONE THIS YET would be nice

If so I will gladly try to be the crazy 2nd guy to do so...even on my Oct Jupiter board....(the bridge clone is in the mail)

anyway thanks for the input ..if you have further info as to who has done this already shoot it out here as well for all of us....

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
jelin1984
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 03:44:03 PM

Which factory

Put scypt power

At network
GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 03:54:40 PM

Which factory

Put scypt power

At network

Yeah, I just checked hashrate. I think its just variance, theres been a bunch of spikes up this high within the past few months but overall diff has very slowly risen. So ... theres not too much going on in ASIC world of scrypt. That is unless this hashrate keeps up then we are all in trouble LOL!

At least LTC's diff isnt rising like BTC's diff ... yikes!

tolip_wen

Activity: 386

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 10:10:03 PM

YMMV
Smiley

well I'm not gonna slam you for helping me...but has anyone tried this with an OCT jupiter/saturn/mercury ..they do not work with a NOV Jupiter cubes etc (mix/match)

that is my question as well...I have an OCT Jupiter Board...but to be safe ..someone should at least TRY this first with an LCD and the GUI with NO cubes and see
on ideally 1st a Neptune board in question..then next likely is the NOV jupiter board (last run) then perhaps my OCT Jupiter or others like saturn/mercury boards?

if it kinda works before tossing a Titan cube to sacrifice to the ASIC gods .....with this OCT Jupiter board

I agree it SHOULD work....at least as a test with the LCD and the GUI with no cubes to start...but again ideal would be with a neptune controller 1st imho

THAT is the main issue...i have a clone bridge coming..got it as a spare (miners are 14.5 months old orig titan warranty was 90 days sooooooo seemed prudent
with 2 titans and the 'possiblity' that is the missing piece to the controller problem ..a complete clone hardware work about

supposedly have the proper pi (nov 2014) as a spare also ...according to knc tech staff at that time (assuming they know zip) raspberry pi B+ 512mb model

just trying to help ....don't like the way i say or do such ...big whoop....at least I'm trying to ask some questions on this (ie will clone bridge work on neptune 6 port board?)

anyway thanks for the confirmation ..I will take it as help from you....no issues...BUT some confirmation of HAS SOMEONE ACTUALLY DONE THIS YET would be nice

If so I will gladly try to be the crazy 2nd guy to do so...even on my Oct Jupiter board....(the bridge clone is in the mail)

anyway thanks for the input ..if you have further info as to who has done this already shoot it out here as well for all of us....

Disclaimer: I don't claim a Titan controller will work with a Mercury,Saturn,Jupiter, or Neptune or vice-versa.

I do state as fact from my own eyes that Merc,Sat,Hoop,Nepturd controllers are ALL the same hardware.
The only 'functional' difference between Oct&Nov 28nm ASICs was the change to Ericsson DC/DC converters.
The same controller works equally on either.
You MUST have correct firmware on the controller to handle this change on the ASIC PCB.
Oct. firmware will not work with Nov. ASICs but Nov. firmware _IS_ backwards compatable with the Oct. ASICs.
This is documented in the code kfc publicly posted.
They provide everything but the source code for the FPGA, but they do provide a working compiled image.
I never tested it but I recall from browsing the code that a Nepturd controller prolly works fine with either OCT or Nov 28nm ASICs also.
I also seem to recall posts saying it was an all or nothing proposition.

I run some nepturd cubes with an Oct Saturn controller HW reflashed with newest firmware.

The whole point of putting an FPGA on a controller between a PC(Pi or BBB) and the ASIC is that it _IS_  a "Field Programmable Gate Array".
There is no reason to think kfc would abandon one of the few good design choices they made.

Since you have both BTC and Titan controllers why not simply look at the forkin part number printed on the PCB?
Even if it is a different part # it has the same FPGA mounted on it.
Look for numbers etched in the copper specifically, new paint does not a new circuitboard make.

Occham's Razor says kfc is too cheap to have made any changes to a working PCB design.
I'd further speculate that they created the bridge board to AVOID having to change the controller in any way.

YMMV
Smiley

'twisted research and opinion' donations happily accepted @
13362fxFAdrhagmCvSmFy4WoHrNRPG2V57
My sub 1337 vanity address Wink
Pages: « 1 ... 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 2049 2050 2051 2052 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 [2092] 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 2112 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 2124 2125 2126 2127 2128 2129 2130 2131 2132 2133 2134 2135 2136 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: