Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:10:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 [2103] 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 2112 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 2124 2125 2126 2127 2128 2129 2130 2131 2132 2133 2134 2135 2136 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049421 times)
edgar
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 04:10:24 AM

sweet - i have a half dozen BBs lying around and just 1 pi.

any idea what the miners are accruing per cube/month?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1459

Clueless!

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 06:27:32 AM

so theoretically, with a bit of rummaging - one might turn a neptune doorstop into a 'fully'-functioning titan??

If you can get a Titan processing board, sure. The controller baseboard for the Neptune, Titan, and Jupiters are identical, the Titan uses a Raspberry pi plus a bridgeboard but I'm whacking away at getting a modern beaglebone running. The trick is figuring out how to remap the gpio ports, but I'm working on it. Unix lets you pull all sorts of funny crap.

Myself, I am not mining so much as fixing other people's stuff. The titans are worth fixing at this point, good systems.

Posting a Titan firmware for the Beaglebone soon, works for all KNC miners Jupiter, Neptune, and Titan.... Keep an eye out in the next few days...

ah..crap.....

was gonna take my Jupiter 4 port beaglebone apart and try the old pi/titan clone bridge(thanks qwberty) and my 4 port jupiter card)

hell

I suppose I should just wait a couple days huh?

posted this here and sent you a pm on this if you want me to test such ...BEFORE I hack it apart in the other method

as I look at my 4 port Oct jupiter card with bbb still attached......(so close to dismemberment baby) Smiley

anyway seems I got's options! Smiley

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 11:01:58 AM

sweet - i have a half dozen BBs lying around and just 1 pi.

any idea what the miners are accruing per cube/month?

Average payrate for last month  0.1062 BTC/GH/Day

https://www.nicehash.com/?p=stats&a=0&l=1
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 12:25:36 PM
Last edit: March 05, 2016, 03:22:55 PM by Searing

Well an aside...in that I installed the new TarkyTitan firmware 1.0.0 without incident. (wow...evil miners tamed so far) Smiley

Anyway....the instructions said NOT to throttle back dies..thus 2 dies I had on 1 cube that were set to 225 and 200 I set back 300 and -0.0366 volts (default).

I left the problem cubes 3 dies off (got it that way) and its one working die at 325 mh. Had one cube I have not tried at 325 mh because it mines at -0.0766 or
some such 'ridiculous' low voltage so it is at that at 300mh. Last cube I left at 325 full out at -0.0366 (default voltage)

So should I have set those 2 low end 200's range dies back or not? Should I have set all for 300mh standard voltage that works or not?

Anyway ...I'm in the process now of it trying to figure out my 2nd Titan setup......so if the above plays out and did not work because of my 'tweaking'

let me know....I should have.....sigh.....asked on here first probably before just going with above...but if I was incorrect just lost a bit of time I guess and a redo

thanks for the software ...we all appreciate it Smiley

Edited

Restarted dies at 200 and 225 the default did not fly I used above

For those not yet pop'ing this up yet. I guess I will find out if it ups my set die speed

Doubt it...

Been chugging along for 1hr or so

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
BitcoinPappi
Legendary

Activity: 915
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 02:35:06 PM

Posting a Titan firmware for the Beaglebone soon, works for all KNC miners Jupiter, Neptune, and Titan.... Keep an eye out in the next few days...
Aw damn, you're going to beat me to it. The key for me was realizing that the fpga-titan code can be loaded with the neptune fpga loader and the io-pwr command from the neptunes.

Couple that with compiling up the driver support code with a few hacks into bfgminer and you're up and running.

Nice job, thanks for working on this. Now I have more time time fix hardware fails.

Why don't both of you collaborate ?
padrino
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

https://www.bitworks.io

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2016, 03:29:22 PM

Aw damn, you're going to beat me to it. The key for me was realizing that the fpga-titan code can be loaded with the neptune fpga loader and the io-pwr command from the neptunes.

Couple that with compiling up the driver support code with a few hacks into bfgminer and you're up and running.

Nice job, thanks for working on this. Now I have more time time fix hardware fails.

Why don't both of you collaborate ?

The firmware is already done, happy to collaborate on helping some of the hardware issues and such.. I'm currently focused on working with GenTarkin to see if we can bring it all together..

1CPi7VRihoF396gyYYcs2AdTEF8KQG2BCR
hawkfish007

Activity: 895
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 06:05:16 PM

So, I have been running v1.0.0 for over 48 hours. It took awhile to complete auto-tuning but I am impressed, it lowered power consumption by 25-30 watts and has been running stable. It's time to get another license Smiley Nice background BTW  Wink

For quality risers, splitters or 133 CFM fans, please visit my eBay listings,
http://www.ebay.com/sch/hawkfish007/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 05, 2016, 07:33:18 PM

So, I have been running v1.0.0 for over 48 hours. It took awhile to complete auto-tuning but I am impressed, it lowered power consumption by 25-30 watts and has been running stable. It's time to get another license Smiley Nice background BTW  Wink

Awesome =) ... yeah and if after the tuning you know of some dies that may have not been tuned as accurately as perhaps ur hand tuning was previously then you can change the voltages of course back for those dies =)

LOL, thanks for the background compliment. What funny is that was initially a joke in one of my test builds. I ended up actually really liking it, it blends in well.... and creates an almost serene feeling =) So, I just stuck with it.

The voltages just cant be messed w/ while tuning is in progress (thats why I greyed everything out).

Also, if you ever decide to lower your clockspeeds, u can run the tuning again and it will find optimal voltages for those new speeds.

The energy savings may be even greater then shown on the page. The page is just an estimation. The DCDC's really have a sharp tipping point in effeciency when they are running over their rated current capacity.
So, if they are running below 40A, they will be much more effecient then running over say 42A. My energy consumption estimation doesnt take into account this sharp effeciency curb. That would require a decent amount of code, almost like a mapping table based off of people running actual effeciency measurements at currents over 40A (this information isnt available in the spec sheet from manufacturer.)
Also, effeciency is improved a bit when the DCDC's run cooler.

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 05:49:30 AM
Last edit: March 06, 2016, 01:09:32 PM by Searing

Well the 1st Titan I tried to do the new TarkyTitan 1.0.0 firmware is still chugging along....at around hour 14 heh Smiley

it is finally at stage 2 of 3.....

amazing software/firmware well worth the $$$.....seems to be having significant voltage reductions ...from what I can tell from the

grayed out area.....so it chugs..

So I balled up due to seeing the above system work. I man'd up and put the next license on my 6 cube unit.

Also working well. Left my dies at their current off or down clicked speed they were at...supposedly I guess I could experiment later.

It also was no problem...me thinks 6 cubes may take a weeee bit longer then a day or so Smiley (again my knc equip is evil)....

BUT just an FYI not the software install problem..me being dumb........I did make the mistake and had a 'panic attack' and when backspacing pages
after the install (w/o reboot) got the license install request page again ...being a dummy ...i put my code in again and it
said INVALID..in that  2 pages back all was fine...I went DUH ....probably should not backspace around w/o restart...and did a reboot...all then came up as it should..so don't
do that stupid move FYI.

The only other question I have is in previous posts on here ..(or the swedish asic miner fix it thread by lightfoot) that if you had a die come up with 1/2 the die showing ok
but the other 1/2 showing 0 and not working ...you could put the voltage at -0.0366 and set it to say 100 to 150 mh to see if that 1/2 die would come back stable and
get some kinda hash....in that only 1/2 is working...the -0.0366 voltage would not matter in only 1/2 is drawing power...again couple folk have said this

thus as I check my dead dies......should I experiment and toggle the above as such. I know I have one for sure that is this way...so assuming this new tarkytitan 1.0.0 firmware
sets each die individually ..maybe i could bring at least back to 100 maybe even 150 on the adv page and get something out of it?

any other clues with this new firmware to try with dies that just show the usual 0 no activity ....say for example setting them at (pick a proper voltage to start ...not sure about that)
set them at say the 50 setting in adv page and just run the tarky titan elec eff test and see if you can get them to live from that point onward ..and tweak upwards on such till they
fail? ...assuming the tarky titan firmware can deal with something like this w/o just tossing it in the 'dead die file'

fun times...so far so good

so theoretically, with a bit of rummaging - one might turn a neptune doorstop into a 'fully'-functioning titan??

If you can get a Titan processing board, sure. The controller baseboard for the Neptune, Titan, and Jupiters are identical, the Titan uses a Raspberry pi plus a bridgeboard but I'm whacking away at getting a modern beaglebone running. The trick is figuring out how to remap the gpio ports, but I'm working on it. Unix lets you pull all sorts of funny crap.

Myself, I am not mining so much as fixing other people's stuff. The titans are worth fixing at this point, good systems.

OK I've stalled my rip apart and toss of my BBB on  my 0ct 2013 KNC Jupiter 550gh 1st batch controller board apart...to add the cloned titan bridge and a pi on such to make a titan controller. (cloned bridge (from qberty ie thanks)

IF this software is coming out...to let a KNC any flavor Mercury/Saturn/Jupiter/Neptune use a beagle bone black unit run Titan cubes....well even if it kinda does so not as well (at this beginning
before gen tarkin/lightfoot/etc) get into the 'weeds' on it and tweak it...just because I'm sitting here looking at is as we speak.....

So I am just waiting now.....for this BBB  firmware to come out so I can test it out ...and see if it works for the community here...would be a big deal.....I now regret passing on the 89 buck with shipping Jupiter's a few months ago.

So when released I'll try that out first see how it goes and report here....if it does well ....hell I just run it as I wanted to tweak cubes one at a time that way..which is the purpose
of the titan cube build with the cloned bridge anyway

lots of good stuff

and I know of one other REALLY REALLY neat mod coming down the pike for Titan users...a big deal....so look for it ....vrooom vroom) Smiley

exciting mods for a supposedly (according to knc) a dead product and abandoned customer base Smiley

Again to all we all here really really appreciate your efforts above and beyond the call of duty Smiley

added for the top of this post....

Well the TarkyTitan firmware electrical eff got done. I ran mine full out 325 for most stuff that was not off or throttled down (2 dies on 2 cubes OFF and 2 dies on 1 cube at 200 and 225)

So anyway for the uniformed...WAY less elec use it seems like. Most stuff looks about 2 clicks on the settings down. I was an idiot and did not write down asic value for watts and
watts at the wall for this unit.....I did do so for the 6 cube unit ..which seems to be a 'dancing' all over the damn place...doing its 'ghost in the machine' boogie as such...very very active....
?
BUT I did get voltages before on the 6 cube unit. So will compare when done

On the 4 cube unit that just finished it took about  24 plus some hrs to complete..I lost track...obcessively watching the firmeware battle my 'evil knc equipment'
.....most of that on step 1 for those who are gonna install such....step 2 was like 5 or 6 hrs step 3 was like 2hrs or so .....

Anyway now just need Pardino as such to release his Beagle Bone Black firmware..for running titan cubes with any regular knc controller setup....and I can test it on the 1 working die cube (rest OFF) I have got for this purpose of Titan and my so far 'unmodified' Jupiter controller with BBB. I have not hacked yet with the clone board and Pi for this purpose.

make your own now in 2 flavors...clone bridge with pi and/or unmodified ANY controller by knc that has a BBB to use....wow...

fun times ..and again something else is coming down the pike for 'toys' on here...but I don't want to take his thunder...but it is damn cool at this level of mods too imho Smiley

busy busy

anyway will post the REAL before asic watts and watts to the wall from my 6 cube unit before and after....I'd bet right now I get the same speed with 'stability' more or
less with probably ..and I'm not kidding at least 1/4 less elec use...maybe even 1/3 less....but will have real info at least on the on the wall stuff (i used the 85% standard setting
for now)

very impressive...good to see the 'Voodoo for Dummies Book" and the 5 gallon pail of 'chicken entrails' went to good use...because again KNC equip is evil....must be magic ...just on other way it could have been done imho Smiley

padrino
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2016, 02:39:04 PM

I unlocked the overclocking on the Titan as well and wired it into the UI on the BBB firmware but the VRMs just can't push much past 42A so I am not getting much more speed when forcing higher clocks... Need to loo at it closer and see if there is a software bottleneck somewhere else, or if it is simply pushing the VRMs too fast..

Maybe Searing's mention of the "vroom vroom" for the Titan refers to something like that, will watch for whatever comes...

1CPi7VRihoF396gyYYcs2AdTEF8KQG2BCR
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 03:30:27 PM

I unlocked the overclocking on the Titan as well and wired it into the UI on the BBB firmware but the VRMs just can't push much past 42A so I am not getting much more speed when forcing higher clocks... Need to loo at it closer and see if there is a software bottleneck somewhere else, or if it is simply pushing the VRMs too fast..

Maybe Searing's mention of the "vroom vroom" for the Titan refers to something like that, will watch for whatever comes...

others can chime in on here..but that is the truth I think the VRM's I think someone said once were rated at 39.5 heh ...a person always has to remember it is an orig
designed (from knc forums now gone) 250mh unit....then they were 4 months late so they pop'd it to 300mh....then they got in trouble on RMA's and had to "keep it"
above 300mh or lots and lots of RMA's etc..so they OC'd it again....so (others chime in here) I don't think there is anything more left in the tank...and heck
even a bit more say 2 amps or so ..will just heat up the Y psu adapters a bit more anyway.....so again others probably remember more of this ...but it is squeezed
dry in this area imho

neato stuff ....great to see how folk can get stuff done when they cooperate (now if that just applied to BTC devs of whatever flavor)

lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 2222

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 04:06:08 PM

Some hard data for you Titan users: Moral: These things were built to hash at 60mh, going faster makes miner sad.

I'm running two miners here, one is a stock reference one running at 275mhz, the other is a client's repaired one (with bypass wires) running at 225mhz. Note the power, DC-DC temp difference, and other differences. It's a lot of extra oomph to get that magical extra 10mh....

ASIC 2 (Speed 225mhz)
Temp : 31.0 °C
Power : 187.445 W

DC/DC   Voltage (V)   Current (A)   Power (W)   Temperature (°C)
0   0.7878   28.781222.674   47.500
1   0.7874   29.1875   22.982   46.900
2   0.7886   29.4062   23.190   45.900
3   0.7883   29.9062   23.575   45.300
4   0.7920   30.0938   23.834   44.100
5   0.7922   29.3438   23.246   43.900
6   0.7892   30.3750   23.972   43.900
7   0.7892   30.3750   23.972   45.100

ASIC 6 (275mhz)
Temp : 38.5 °C
Power : 232.520 W

0   0.7858   36.5000   28.682   61.600
1   0.7863   36.5625   28.749   63.400
2   0.7819   36.8750   28.833   61.400
3   0.7841   36.9375   28.963   60.400
4   0.7836   37.3125   29.238   55.900
5   0.7847   37.9375   29.770   55.700
6   0.7826   37.3125   29.201   57.700
7   0.7861   37.0000   29.086   57.100

KNC 0:       | 59.00/61.52/61.57Mh/s | A:315 R:1+0(.32%) HW: 64/.59%
 KNC 1:       | 71.02/72.75/72.66Mh/s | A:385 R:2+0(.52%) HW: 73/.57%

I would recommend slowing down to 60mh total. That is what these were designed for.
GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 06:42:28 PM

Some hard data for you Titan users: Moral: These things were built to hash at 60mh, going faster makes miner sad.

I'm running two miners here, one is a stock reference one running at 275mhz, the other is a client's repaired one (with bypass wires) running at 225mhz. Note the power, DC-DC temp difference, and other differences. It's a lot of extra oomph to get that magical extra 10mh....

ASIC 2 (Speed 225mhz)
Temp : 31.0 °C
Power : 187.445 W

0   0.7878   28.781222.674   47.500
1   0.7874   29.1875   22.982   46.900
2   0.7886   29.4062   23.190   45.900
3   0.7883   29.9062   23.575   45.300
4   0.7920   30.0938   23.834   44.100
5   0.7922   29.3438   23.246   43.900
6   0.7892   30.3750   23.972   43.900
7   0.7892   30.3750   23.972   45.100

ASIC 6 (275mhz)
Temp : 38.5 °C
Power : 232.520 W

0   0.7858   36.5000   28.682   61.600
1   0.7863   36.5625   28.749   63.400
2   0.7819   36.8750   28.833   61.400
3   0.7841   36.9375   28.963   60.400
4   0.7836   37.3125   29.238   55.900
5   0.7847   37.9375   29.770   55.700
6   0.7826   37.3125   29.201   57.700
7   0.7861   37.0000   29.086   57.100

KNC 0:       | 59.00/61.52/61.57Mh/s | A:315 R:1+0(.32%) HW: 64/.59%
 KNC 1:       | 71.02/72.75/72.66Mh/s | A:385 R:2+0(.52%) HW: 73/.57%

I would recommend slowing down to 60mh total. That is what these were designed for.

I think more importantly it comes down to what temperatures the environment, wires, dies & DCDC's are running at.
My Titan has been running 325mhz no issues up in alaska for almost 1.5years(since it arrived sometime in '14).
The DCDC's are rated officially up to 40A w/ a long life if you keep at least some airflow on them and around 80-90C max temp.
But, some people run these things OVER 40A and OVER 100C ... in the average case ... those DCDC's are not gonna last long. There may be some exceptions, but on average they will die prematurely.

My DCDC's on average are between 38-42A, but at temps below 70C ... which is well below the thresholds set forth in the specsheet for the DCDC's

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
jelin1984
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 07:02:18 PM

how exactly i must try to find the

pcie splitter at ebay??? Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

i try there but i can not find something

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Modpcuk/_i.html?LH_TitleDesc=1&rt=nc&_nkw=pcie&_sid=1007185971&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=1
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 07:27:15 PM

how exactly i must try to find the

pcie splitter at ebay??? Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

i try there but i can not find something

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Modpcuk/_i.html?LH_TitleDesc=1&rt=nc&_nkw=pcie&_sid=1007185971&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261846105445?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 09:30:07 PM

Well, these two units are currently running approximately one (1) inch away from each other, so the environment is pretty constant. The difference between the two is the difference between an average DC-DC temp of

ASIC slot   Temperature   DC/DC avg temp   Clock   Type
1   ---   ---   ---   OFF
2   32.5 ℃   47.4 ℃   225 MHz   TI
3   ---   ---   ---   OFF
4   ---   ---   ---   OFF
5   ---   ---   ---   OFF
6   41 ℃   62.0 ℃   275 MHz   TI

Which is pretty big for that extra 10mh.

You mentioned that your power supply cables melted at least once, and I just saw a picture of a guy's power supply that basically started to set fire to his house. Glad his house did not burn down, but the problem was the same, power supply cables melted. Fixing melted units that blow the PCB connectors is a real bear and I just got a Neptune in that had a blown power cable that led to a short on pin 6 (this time to the .7 line which allows it to work, but very weird) which proves board burns can damage other Neptunes and Titans due to the lack of signal isolation on the controllers and/or the units.

Perhaps a good code release would be a "do not pull more than X watts from the supply lines" so people could put in 180 to be nice and comfortable up to 260+ if they really want to see things go foom or something. As always I stand by to fix the blown cubes, but it would be better if they didn't blow in the first place.
GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 09:59:23 PM

Well, these two units are currently running approximately one (1) inch away from each other, so the environment is pretty constant. The difference between the two is the difference between an average DC-DC temp of

You mentioned that your power supply cables melted at least once, and I just saw a picture of a guy's power supply that basically started to set fire to his house. Glad his house did not burn down, but the problem was the same, power supply cables melted. Fixing melted units that blow the PCB connectors is a real bear and I just got a Neptune in that had a blown power cable that led to a short on pin 6 (this time to the .7 line which allows it to work, but very weird) which proves board burns can damage other Neptunes and Titans due to the lack of signal isolation on the controllers and/or the units.

Perhaps a good code release would be a "do not pull more than X watts from the supply lines" so people could put in 180 to be nice and comfortable up to 260+ if they really want to see things go foom or something. As always I stand by to fix the blown cubes, but it would be better if they didn't blow in the first place.

That may be doable, but it requires extremely accurate testing of the DCDC power draw under a bunch of different settings & temperatures. Gathering that data would be the challenge.
Also, way more power gets drawn through these connectors than 180 or even 260w ... @ 325mhz w/ slightly than lower factory voltages ... about 330w is drawn through that poor 6pin connector on Titan side =(
Thats why they went with the Y adapters so each 6 wire cable was at about 150-170w.
I suspect many PSU's breakout panels for their modular connectors arent rated for that type of current @ 12v ... which is where my PSU's cables started discoloring and getting real hot and eventually melting the PSU breakout panel connectors.
I suspect a non modular PSU would fair better. But cant find high effeciency nonmodular high watt ATX PSU's anymore it seems =/
Thats why I was contemplating going w/ the server PSU's w/ the breakout boards made by users on this forum... they are probably much better quality than the breakout boards on modular PSU's.

I bet,  making the Y connectors into 3 way Y connectors would definitely drop the strain on the ATX cables =)
That would drop the watts per cable down to about 110w.

GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 10:09:07 PM

ANNOUNCING VOLUME DISCOUNTS!!!
Priced as follows:
1-9 licenses - STANDARD PRICING

10-30 license pack - 5% discount - coupon code: volume10-5-350
31-50 license pack - 10% discount - coupon code: volume31-10-1085
51+ license pack - 15% discount - coupon code: volume51-15-1785
To qualify, all licenses must be purchased in 1 purchase!

note: past purchases do not apply towards volume discounts.

For other possible discounts contact me directly: http://gentarkincustomtitan.pcriot.com/custom-knc-titan-firmware-contact/

TXSteve

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 11:25:38 PM

well if a blow up a cube I'll give you a try to fix it, so far they've been running pretty good but have to do maintenance on them as needed: clean, replace cables, y connectors, capacitors etc

btw I fried a 6-pin pcie connector today, I could barely get them unplugged. I used someone's idea on here to use side-cutters and cut the plastic away, just leaving the 6 pins on the pcb. I cleaned the pins as best I could and it worked great. So much easier than desoldering & soldering a new pcie connector. I have replaced 2 pcie connectors in the past and it so difficult, that solder is tough, it took hot air & a soldering iron to get it hot enough, a real pain in the neck.

Thx whoever posted that little trick, worked great and saved so much time & aggravation  Smiley

I fried 2 y-connectors & 1 pcie connector this week, but it's been  a long time since any problems so that's not too bad
lightfoot
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2016, 11:36:42 PM

I bet,  making the Y connectors into 3 way Y connectors would definitely drop the strain on the ATX cables =)
That would drop the watts per cable down to about 110w.

I suppose. However when someone puts a cube on your doorstep that did this:

You wonder if that cube plug is just a limiting factor.

Ultimately it's up to everyone to do what is best in their circumstances. :-)
Pages: « 1 ... 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 2061 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 [2103] 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 2112 2113 2114 2115 2116 2117 2118 2119 2120 2121 2122 2123 2124 2125 2126 2127 2128 2129 2130 2131 2132 2133 2134 2135 2136 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: