Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:46:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 [535] 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049457 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 03:58:50 PM
Last edit: September 25, 2013, 04:22:04 PM by DeathAndTaxes

I can't argue with your conclusion (and already read the thread you linked & your thread estimating hashrate based on pre-orders -- thanks).  I think we disagree on minor details -- i think the irrational component, and inability to accurately predict the difficulty three months in advance (average pre-order time -- i might be off), play a greater role in the hashrate increase.  It's not simple math -- it's estimating the ability of others to estimate the ability of others (...) to do simple math.  

BFL is largely to blame with their >1 year "pre-orders".  However the good news is pre-order timeframes are coming down.  

BFL >1 year delivery time
KNC started taking orders in June? and will ship in Oct (last day of Sept is close enough to Oct) = 4 month delivery time
Bitfury started taking orders in July and delivered early Sept = 3 months delivery time
HF started taking orders in Aug and will ship in Nov = <3 months (last batch 1 order was Aug 24)

Second batches should tighten that schedule further. As that shrinks and the network gets larger there becomes more visibility on what difficulty will be the day you get your unit.  The combo working together will be very powerful.  Still I agree on the larger point and the one reason I find mining unattractive at the current time is the largest factor on your return is the actions of others.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
donch

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Updated ironic image.

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 04:02:16 PM

I think the missing factor in all of these analyses of ROI is how much of the daily volume on all the currency exchanges combined comes from mining output. Above a certain threshold and the price is influenced by the costs of entering the mining arena. In other words, miners can convert their gains to fiat with limit orders and as the cost of mining goes up or the amount of bitcoins received per miner goes down, surely some of those miners will insist on a higher ask price?

Obviously markets are chaotic and unpredictable, but I haven't seen any decent analysis of how much an impact the mining community does have on the exchange rates. Any theories or evidence?

"How are you justifying these as fair use?  They are clearly and unequivocally a copyright violation."
"I really want to know how you justify that under the fair use doctrine?  It does not conform to a single point of fair use."
Josh whining about people reusing his studio portrait shot on this forum. Can you copyright a copyright complaint? All Paypal refunds are final.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 04:04:17 PM

I think the missing factor in all of these analyses of ROI is how much of the daily volume on all the currency exchanges combined comes from mining output. Above a certain threshold and the price is influenced by the costs of entering the mining arena. In other words, miners can convert their gains to fiat with limit orders and as the cost of mining goes up or the amount of bitcoins received per miner goes down, surely some of those miners will insist on a higher ask price?

Obviously markets are chaotic and unpredictable, but I haven't seen any decent analysis of how much an impact the mining community does have on the exchange rates. Any theories or evidence?

Market volume is significantly higher than the rate of coin generation and that trend will only continue the subsidy will be cut by 50% again in 3 years and one would certainly hope year over year market volume will continue to rise.  Miners have very little pricing power today and it will only be reduced in the future.  Difficulty follows price, price doesn't follow difficulty.
donch

Updated ironic image.

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 04:05:46 PM

Market volume is significantly higher than the rate of coin generation and that trend will only continue the subsidy will be cut by 50% again in 3 years and one would certainly hope year over year market volume will continue to rise.  Miners have very little pricing power today and it will only be reduced in the future.  Difficulty follows price, price doesn't follow difficulty.

Any numbers to quantify that statement?

"How are you justifying these as fair use?  They are clearly and unequivocally a copyright violation."
"I really want to know how you justify that under the fair use doctrine?  It does not conform to a single point of fair use."
Josh whining about people reusing his studio portrait shot on this forum. Can you copyright a copyright complaint? All Paypal refunds are final.
soy
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 04:14:41 PM

I can't argue with your conclusion (and already read the thread you linked & your thread estimating hashrate based on pre-orders -- thanks).  I think we disagree on minor details -- i think the irrational component, and inability to accurately predict the difficulty three months in advance (average pre-order time -- i might be off), play a greater role in the hashrate increase.  It's not simple math -- it's estimating the ability of others to estimate the ability of others (...) to do simple math.  

BFL is largely to blame with their >1 year "pre-orders".  However the good news is pre-order timeframes are coming down.  As that shrinks and the network gets larger there becomes more visibility on what difficulty will be the day you get your unit.  The combo working together will be very powerful.  Still the one reason I find mining unattractive at the current time is that the largest factor in your return is the actions of others.

I would like The Genesis Block main page to have one large obvious button that gives a calculation of what cost, $/GH/s for a miner, if starting mining that instant, using the best projections for future miner shipments obtainable to estimate future difficulty, will produce ROI in 12 months - you enter only kw cost.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 04:16:48 PM

Market volume is significantly higher than the rate of coin generation and that trend will only continue the subsidy will be cut by 50% again in 3 years and one would certainly hope year over year market volume will continue to rise.  Miners have very little pricing power today and it will only be reduced in the future.  Difficulty follows price, price doesn't follow difficulty.

http://bitcoinity.org/markets/list?currency=ALL&span=6m

In the last 6 months there was >17,586,579 BTC traded.  That is >97,703.22 BTC per day.  Miners produce ~3,600 BTC per day.  The market trades over 27x as much.  Note that doesn't even include all exchanges, and excludes all off exchange transactions.   In reality it is probably closer to 50x.  Also remember those 3,600 BTC are spread out across thousands of miners.  It is far easier to be a big player on the market then to try and be a big player on the supply side.

I don't have a link but someone did a statistical analysis of price and difficulty way back in the dark ages of GPU mining and showed a correlation where difficulty is dependent on price but price isn't dependent on difficulty.  Anecdotally I have seen this effect in GPU mining.  There were many times were for marginal miners (those with low efficiency and high power costs) returns went negative.   Operating margins improved when difficulty went down not because some mining cartel removed enough supply to push prices up.
soy
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 04:23:46 PM

BFL is largely to blame with their >1 year "pre-orders".  However the good news is pre-order timeframes are coming down.  As that shrinks and the network gets larger there becomes more visibility on what difficulty will be the day you get your unit.  The combo working together will be very powerful.  Still the one reason I find mining unattractive at the current time is that the largest factor in your return is the actions of others.

I would like The Genesis Block main page to have one large obvious button that gives a calculation of what cost, $/GH/s for a miner, if starting mining that instant, using the best projections for future miner shipments obtainable to estimate future difficulty, will produce ROI in 12 months - you enter only kw cost.

So, some manufacturers or at least one will dump massively into advertising while not really shipping so as to take in as much money as possible while skewing the projections.  So the easy $/GH/s needed for 12 months would quickly kill sales of overpriced miners.

And add a separate Delivery Projection button.  Say, x miner ordered on March 15, 2013 expected to be delivered on .... all based on historical data.
donch

Updated ironic image.

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 04:28:39 PM

In the last 6 months there was >17,586,579 BTC traded.  That is >97,703.22 BTC per day.  Miners produce ~3,600 BTC per day.  The market trades over 27x as much.  Note that doesn't even include all exchanges, and excludes all off exchange transactions.   In reality it is probably closer to 50x.  Also remember those 3,600 BTC are spread out across thousands of miners.  It is far easier to be a big player on the market then to try and be a big player on the supply side.

I don't have a link but someone did a statistical analysis of price and difficulty way back in the dark ages of GPU mining and showed a correlation where difficulty is dependent on price but price isn't dependent on difficulty.  Anecdotally I have seen this effect in GPU mining.  There were many times were for marginal miners (those with low efficiency and high power costs) returns went negative.   Operating margins improved when difficulty went down not because some mining cartel removed enough supply to push prices up.

Thanks for the reply and don't want to go too off-topic, but a 6 month figure includes all the volatility (and associated volume) surrounding  the "external" factors such as media engagement and big players entering the market when the $260 point was reached. In periods of low volatility, such as in recent times, the volume to bitcoin mining supply ratio seems to be between 1:3 and 1:6 extrapolated from the last 30 day and 7 day periods:

http://bitcoinity.org/markets/list?currency=ALL&span=7d
http://bitcoinity.org/markets/list?currency=ALL&span=30d  

It's all speculation and time will tell, but I get a feeling that the market "idling" price is at least in some small way affected by mining costs.

s1ms3

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 04:34:51 PM

Has someone already asked for a refund at this late stage of developement?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 04:36:44 PM

Well as a miner you can't control how much increased volatility there will be.  Over an extended time mining say 6 months you are going to go through multiple periods of both.  I never said miners have absolutely no influence on price just that they have very little pricing power.  Miners aren't a single unified cartel. They all have different price points, risk apetites, efficiencies (range from 0.8 J/GH to >8 J/GH) and power costs.  What is a negative operating margin for one miner is a a massive 90%+ margin for another.  Some miners may hold coins or place higher limit prices but some may just dump as they see the current price as good and have thousands of dollars a month in electrical cost.
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 04:36:56 PM

In the last 6 months there was >17,586,579 BTC traded.  That is >97,703.22 BTC per day.  Miners produce ~3,600 BTC per day.  The market trades over 27x as much.  Note that doesn't even include all exchanges, and excludes all off exchange transactions.   In reality it is probably closer to 50x.  Also remember those 3,600 BTC are spread out across thousands of miners.  It is far easier to be a big player on the market then to try and be a big player on the supply side.

I don't have a link but someone did a statistical analysis of price and difficulty way back in the dark ages of GPU mining and showed a correlation where difficulty is dependent on price but price isn't dependent on difficulty.  Anecdotally I have seen this effect in GPU mining.  There were many times were for marginal miners (those with low efficiency and high power costs) returns went negative.   Operating margins improved when difficulty went down not because some mining cartel removed enough supply to push prices up.

It's not just about what miners produce, I agree that has a neglectable impact on the price. But the amount of money that goes into buying mining hardware can have a significant impact on the price, as when mining becomes an unprofitable investment a lot of money will be looking elsewhere to invest and part of that money will go back into bitcoin itself driving up the price. Until the price is high enough (and difficulty low enough) for mining hardware to become an attractive investment again. Smiley

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
Vedran Yoweri

Activity: 106

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 04:37:30 PM

Boom! Another one bites the dust.
Miz4r
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 04:41:20 PM

Those who ask for a refund now at least get their investment back, those who don't will be most likely looking at a negative ROI. Gonna be interesting to watch. Tongue

Vedran Yoweri

Activity: 106

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 04:43:11 PM

Those who ask for a refund now at least get their investment back, those who don't will be most likely looking at a negative ROI. Gonna be interesting to watch. Tongue
Miz4r
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 04:44:40 PM

Hope you don't mind if I quote this post again in a few months from now. Cheesy

Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036

/dev/null

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 04:52:14 PM

check auction/goods section..there are couple of guys, which are trying to sold their 1st day preorders and I'm pretty sure, that because we are 3 working days from promised deadline and KNC not revealed video of working unit, pressure is higher and higher and more and more guys asking for refund.)

KNC: if you want to improve your sales, video of working unit is much better than auctioning slots for adverts at 20.5BTC/annoying banner.
gateway

Activity: 552
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 04:56:10 PM

hmm.. ugg.. 113 million diff to 148 today..

If Jupiter can do 500Gh/s..
The expected generation output, at 500 Ghps, given current difficulty of 148819199.80509 , is 1.68968181173 BTC per day and 0.0704034088219 BTC per hour.

At 400 Gh/s
The expected generation output, at 400 Ghps, given current difficulty of 148819199.80509 , is 1.35174544938 BTC per day and 0.0563227270575 BTC per hour.
Meizirkki

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 04:56:22 PM

Refund = 100% ROI within days
Mining = 100% ROI in 4 - infinity months
Cheesy

Disclaimer: no horse in this race ... don't base your descisions on my posts yadda yadda yadda ...
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2013, 04:59:16 PM

Refund = 100% ROI within days
Mining = 100% ROI in 4 - infinity months

what econ class did you take?  that's not ROI that's simply getting your money, back, breaking even.  There is no ROI in term of BTC gained unless you are mining lower difficulty alts and selling them for a good price on the exchange.

itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1075

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 05:00:16 PM

KNC: if you want to improve your sales, video of working unit is much better than auctioning slots for adverts at 20.5BTC/annoying banner.

Like they don't know that, if they would have a video of working unit you can bet it would be already posted. Even if they have a photo of a chip it would be a sensation. In the meantime, adverts will have to do to avoid panic.
Pages: « 1 ... 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 [535] 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: