Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:36:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 [234] 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058370 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 11:06:59 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2014, 06:07:36 AM by Wekkel

If I was to start a DVC valued mutual investment fund would I be entitled to any DVC bounties?  If so how many DVC would the bounty be?

There are a bunch of devcoin based funds already. see e.g. http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org/digitalisassets.html

-MarkM-

How should I interpret this data? Can someone buy shares there with DVC?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 11:10:05 PM

The plots are something I made to help me interpret it all, since from just looking at the tables of numbers I could not see at a glance what was going up or down according to what.

Basically in the plots anything going up or down is doing to relative to the asset the plot is denominated in.

Open Transactions markets are any asset vs any asset at any scale that is a power of ten. So you can trade any pairs you want with it.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
qiwoman

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 11:12:44 PM

I bought some DVC shares in Cryptoctocks to start my DVC portfolio..Can anyone suggest to me the best places to grow and invest my DVC and build a little portfolio? I hathc out DVC from 2 faucets and I entered one giveaway and have now so far nearly 3k DVC..I am trying every day to hatch and grow more DVC.. Smiley
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 12:15:55 AM

The plots are something I made to help me interpret it all, since from just looking at the tables of numbers I could not see at a glance what was going up or down according to what.

Basically in the plots anything going up or down is doing to relative to the asset the plot is denominated in.

Open Transactions markets are any asset vs any asset at any scale that is a power of ten. So you can trade any pairs you want with it.

-MarkM-

Maybe you can explain to everyone how something like devcorp has estimated assets of over 4514647467611 dvc?

If people requested their dvc where would they get it from?
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 12:59:52 AM

There is no need for a bidding war as bounties can start low and be raised if no one takes them.

The bidding war will be as the bounty sinks to the equivalent of $3/hour which is the wage many good Asian programmers are willing/able to work.

- Nova

From an open source perspective, isn't that still a good thing? Ultimately most open source being released now is done for free. By floating the value of open source on the free market, what's being said is that open source software is worth more than nothing, but how much more is completely up to the overall market, which is a global one. It would be nice for devs to be paid better wages, but I don't think devcoins are really best suited for that...dvc is more geared towards getting open source software for the cheapest possible nonzero price.

Companies having an avenue to find cheap developers for bounties isn't really a big consideration for the sdevcoin project, because there are tons of ways to get them to do that already. While the devs might want dvc payment, there's nothing stopping them accepting any other currency and converting themselves. The real innovation here is the increase of reward to open source developers, who were previously working for nothing.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 01:29:37 AM

-MarkM-

Maybe you can explain to everyone how something like devcorp has estimated assets of over 4514647467611 dvc?

If people requested their dvc where would they get it from?

That is what happens when you try to use cryptocoins as "units of account".

It is just like what they do at those market cap sites. You take the purported current value of one coin and pretend that it will not change no matter how many you are speaking of.

You get the same kind of effect if you try to express the assessed tax value of a town or city and stuff like that.

Cryptocoins act weird as units of account. Dollars would maybe do the same too if you used them to try to measure things that are very large compared to the number of dollars that have been printed or even the number purportedly in bank balances.

Maybe the numbers make more sense when expressed in Martian BotCoins?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
melodiem

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 02:14:00 AM

I have come up with an idea for a Devcoin Community Fund.

The basic concept is to provide:

A purchase point for the public to buy DVC
An exchange point for members to exchange DVC to USD
A platform for commerce to engage with DVC (payment gateways, exchange etc)
A platform for building community awareness of new Devcoin Developments and Bounties
A platform for networking between Investors and Developers
A mechanism for community consultation on the value of bounties

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_fund

I believe it has enough merit to dare expose it to you mob for scrutiny and I would really like your feedback however:

I want to start this whole thing from the right place and one of the underlying principles is to support excellent work already completed in the Devcoin community so I am going to move this discussion to the Official Devcoin Site forum to continue.

http://coinzen.org/index.php?topic=70.0

Right....

Well its only 11.30am..If I get to bed before 12 it will still count as yesterdays sleep Wink

Hunterbunter

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 06:12:19 AM

Seed Node

2/5 of a share for a devcoin seed node.

I'd like to put in a claim for this bounty if it's still running.

The node has been running successfully all weekend, and currently has 124 connections.

dvcnode.blisteringdevelopers.com:52333

sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 07:19:29 AM

Seed Node

The node has been running successfully all weekend, and currently has 124 connections.

Which version of the client?
Hunterbunter

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 07:37:53 AM

Seed Node

80501 - compiled it from source from a git clone of https://github.com/sidhujag/devcoin
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 07:42:54 AM

Seed Node

80501 - compiled it from source from a git clone of https://github.com/sidhujag/devcoin

Cool ill add it to the android wallet seeds.
novacadian

Activity: 232
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 02:06:07 PM

There is no need for a bidding war as bounties can start low and be raised if no one takes them.

The bidding war will be as the bounty sinks to the equivalent of $3/hour which is the wage many good Asian programmers are willing/able to work.

- Nova

From an open source perspective, isn't that still a good thing? Ultimately most open source being released now is done for free. By floating the value of open source on the free market, what's being said is that open source software is worth more than nothing, but how much more is completely up to the overall market, which is a global one. It would be nice for devs to be paid better wages, but I don't think devcoins are really best suited for that...dvc is more geared towards getting open source software for the cheapest possible nonzero price.

Companies having an avenue to find cheap developers for bounties isn't really a big consideration for the sdevcoin project, because there are tons of ways to get them to do that already. While the devs might want dvc payment, there's nothing stopping them accepting any other currency and converting themselves. The real innovation here is the increase of reward to open source developers, who were previously working for nothing.

Programming for $3 per hour and DevTome entries at $20-$50 hour. Is something wrong with this picture?

Programmers are already racing to the bottom by bidding against each other for proprietary development work. If the best that can be done is to mimic that equity (or non-equity as the case may be) then what is the point of this project?

Open Source programmers working for free are working on projects that they choose to do not projects that some marketeer has asked them to do. It appears to me that what you are suggesting is like having a carpenter that chooses to work for free on Habitat for Humanity Homes and then someone expecting them to build a house for them at $3 per hour because they built that other one for nothing.

If we do not think outside of the box for this project it will be here`s the new boss the same as the old boss.

- Nova

DVC Address : 1EfsiVUECqmR5Qx7C4PkmwadDXYuSGzssL
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 02:35:53 PM

If I was to start a DVC valued mutual investment fund would I be entitled to any DVC bounties?  If so how many DVC would the bounty be?
What is a 'DVC valued mutual investment fund'? What would it invest in, forecast returns, how etc?
There are bounties for businesses and pools http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_bounty_now
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 04:03:10 PM

If I was to start a DVC valued mutual investment fund would I be entitled to any DVC bounties?  If so how many DVC would the bounty be?
What is a 'DVC valued mutual investment fund'? What would it invest in, forecast returns, how etc?
There are bounties for businesses and pools http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin_bounty_now

At first it would act as a pass-through for 5,000 NEOBEE shares, ~BTC1.00 of Kenilworth shares and ~BTC1.00 SFI shares.  With 50% of the dividends the fund receives reinvested into more shares and new securities possibly as well.  Then 30% paid out in dividends and 20% used for a management fee.  The investment fund would be listed on Cryptostocks.

I've run a successful investment fund LTCI on LTC Global before its closure.  Plus, I founded - www.redstarmining.com - which is now in its third year of operation.

I see six shares are reserved for up to four investment business plans.  How much is a share worth?

weisoq

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 05:56:35 PM

At first it would act as a pass-through for 5,000 NEOBEE shares, ~BTC1.00 of Kenilworth shares and ~BTC1.00 SFI shares.  With 50% of the dividends the fund receives reinvested into more shares and new securities possibly as well.  Then 30% paid out in dividends and 20% used for a management fee.  The investment fund would be listed on Cryptostocks.

I've run a successful investment fund LTCI on LTC Global before its closure.  Plus, I founded - www.redstarmining.com - which is now in its third year of operation.

I see six shares are reserved for up to four investment business plans.  How much is a share worth?
So that's basically a bet on NEOBEE outperforming dvc/btc, because fund price would move inversely to dvc price.

Shares are a share of dvc generation in each round, so the dvc value isn't fixed until round end which in this case is about 9th Feb (currently ~200k dvc per share): http://dvccountdown.blisteringdevelopers.com/
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 06:14:45 PM

So that's basically a bet on NEOBEE outperforming dvc/btc, because fund price would move inversely to dvc price.

Shares are a share of dvc generation in each round, so the dvc value isn't fixed until round end which in this case is about 9th Feb (currently ~200k dvc per share): http://dvccountdown.blisteringdevelopers.com/

Wonder if I can short that Tongue
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2014, 09:09:59 PM

Yeah, it's an investment veichle as DVC is inflationary in nature IIRC.  So putting DVC in crypto-coin based stocks would appeal to some DVC investors who want to stay within the DVC markets.

weisoq

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 09:34:46 PM

Yeah, it's an investment veichle as DVC is inflationary in nature IIRC.  So putting DVC in crypto-coin based stocks would appeal to some DVC investors who want to stay within the DVC markets.
Ok. I wasn't necessarily being negative on a fund level, there was another dvc pass-through with similar inverse dynamics that did well as dvc fell, and would be same for any non-dvc origin investment. 20% management is high, esp if capital returns don't work out. Yes dvc has constant generation to achieve constant funding.
Hunterbunter

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:03:03 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2014, 10:29:13 PM by Hunterbunter

- Nova

Programming for $3 per hour and DevTome entries at $20-$50 hour. Is something wrong with this picture?

Programmers are already racing to the bottom by bidding against each other for proprietary development work. If the best that can be done is to mimic that equity (or non-equity as the case may be) then what is the point of this project?

Open Source programmers working for free are working on projects that they choose to do not projects that some marketeer has asked them to do. It appears to me that what you are suggesting is like having a carpenter that chooses to work for free on Habitat for Humanity Homes and then someone expecting them to build a house for them at $3 per hour because they built that other one for nothing.

If we do not think outside of the box for this project it will be here`s the new boss the same as the old boss.

Re devtome wages, all wages are $3 per hour, but because the project seems to want to prioritize devtome article submissions they're getting a bonus atm. I presume that will change at some point...but no one has said when, yet.

The point of this project is to increase the reward to open source developers, not increase the pay of programmers.

There are already other avenues for marketeers to get programmers to make open or propriety stuff for a dollar. If you try to make it fair and equitable for the programmer, how many businesses would actually use it? Maybe a handful.

Re carpenter, economically, that's exactly how the real world works, except not because that's what he did for nothing, but because that's what he's willing to do it for, or not. I'm all for fair pay personally, but how you do it and still attract the majority of business? It will always be a niche. I'm not discouraging you or anyone else setting up a system where devs can be paid fairly, but I'm just saying to proliferate open source development (the goal of the devcoin project), you still have to do it at the cheapest price, which is why bounties start low and go up over time until someone bites.
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:20:43 PM

Just a reminder to all my devcoin fans.. DO NOT...I repeat....DO NOT sell your DVC if you want the price to go up.

JUST HODL like me! 
Pages: « 1 ... 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 [234] 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: