Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:50:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 [197] 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058355 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
emfox

Activity: 276
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 04:12:25 AM

When will devtome be forced to buy devcoins to supply the dumpers?

Place your orders low, my man. And then wait for them to run out of content. Smiley

lol I still dont get why devtome is given shares when it is a bounty project.. I guess if there was
nothing else to spend on we could have made another devtome but maybr something to do with useful sourcecode.. if we gave more precedence to source we would get better output as a whole...

Imagine the number of writers as developers instead.. we would have the best wallet softwares and probably some new features other coins dont have.

I used to raise this situation to the community, and later we just double the other bounty (source admin etc.) and double and redouble again and again, to against the hugely increased devtome writers, but this won't solve the problem, since the devtome payout every round is almost half of all, and as a single bounty project, it's too high...

Earn Devcoins by Writing
BTC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut DVC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut
IXC: xnRKo3qSDdcPJ4pgTLER3orkquUVQXeLwf

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 04:17:08 AM

Have any of you noticed the 508 errors on devtome? It is something like limited space... Is this an issue?
-AM

The site gets random attacks. You are just seeing the results of the heavier ones.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 04:35:18 AM

Place your orders low, my man. And then wait for them to run out of content. Smiley

lol I still dont get why devtome is given shares when it is a bounty project.. I guess if there was
nothing else to spend on we could have made another devtome but maybr something to do with useful sourcecode.. if we gave more precedence to source we would get better output as a whole...

Imagine the number of writers as developers instead.. we would have the best wallet softwares and probably some new features other coins dont have.

I used to raise this situation to the community, and later we just double the other bounty (source admin etc.) and double and redouble again and again, to against the hugely increased devtome writers, but this won't solve the problem, since the devtome payout every round is almost half of all, and as a single bounty project, it's too high...

+1

Compensating for devtome is not the answer imo.. doubling source admin?? its only 1 share
unclejed613

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 04:45:38 AM

i think i have enough content just bouncing around in my head to keep them from running out.... and i'm sure there are many more like me...... Devcoins have a purpose and a community behind them.... there are "becauseicancoins" appearing (and disappearing) constantly that do not.....

interesting you should think a growing community would run out of content.... maybe you hope it will, and you can cash in on a theoretical collapse?

i think the idea of using Devcoin to pay people for their ideas is good. it fosters creativity and competition.
Bittzy78
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1019

I do not give financial advice .. do your own DD

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 04:52:46 AM

i think i have enough content just bouncing around in my head to keep them from running out.... and i'm sure there are many more like me...... Devcoins have a purpose and a community behind them.... there are "becauseicancoins" appearing (and disappearing) constantly that do not.....

interesting you should think a growing community would run out of content.... maybe you hope it will, and you can cash in on a theoretical collapse?

i think the idea of using Devcoin to pay people for their ideas is good. it fosters creativity and competition.

Running out of content to write about on Devtome will be nearly impossible. There are a couple thousand years of human history that people can pull article information from. Heck, you could write forever just on the 20th century.  

People have very successful blogs that are years old just on the topic of personal finance.

Can you imagine a time in the near future where 150- 200 people contribute content to the Wiki every round? There might even come a time when the content doubles every 3 - 4 months.

░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░▒▒▒████████████████▒▒▒░░
░░▒▒██████████████████████▒▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒████████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒█████████▀▀▀▀███████████████████▒░░
░░▒██████▀      ▀██████▀    ▀████▒░░
░░▒██████▄        ▀██▀       ████▒░░
░░▒███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▒░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░

▄                   ▄   ▄                                                        ▄
        ▀ ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▀ ▄▄██████████▄▄     ▄  ▄████████▄ ▄   ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██████     ▄▄██████   ████████████████   ▀▀  ██████████▀▀    ██████     ▄ ██████  ████████████████▄▄
  ██████   ███████    ▀ ██████  ██████████████████     ████████████     ███████    ▀▀██████  ████████████████▀▀
  ██████   ████████     ██████  ██████▀    ▀██████    ██████████████    ████████     ██████ ▄██████
  ██████ ▄██████████    ██████  ███████▄▄             ██████  ██████    █████████    ██████ ▀██████
▄ ██████   ██████████   ██████   ███████████▄▄       ██████    ██████   ██████████   ██████  ██████████████
▀ ██████   ███████████  ██████  ▄ ▀█████████████▄    ██████    ██████   ███████████  ██████  ██████████████  ██
  ██████   ██████ █████ ██████  ▀    ▀▀███████████  ██████      ██████  ██████ █████ ██████  ██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀
  ██████ ▄ ██████  ███████████            ▀▀███████ ██████████████████  ██████  ███████████  ██████
▄ ██████ ▀ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄     ▄██████████████████████████ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀ ██████   ██████    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████ ██████    ████████████████████████████
  ██████   ██████     ████████▀█▀███████████████████████          ████████████     ████████▀▀█████████████████
  ██████   ██████      ███████    ▀▀███████████▀▀ ██████    ▄▄    ████████████      ███████
           ██████     ▄ ██████           ▄▄                 ▀▀          ██████     ▄ ██████▄▄

GET IN TOUCH              
.▬▬Announcement▬▬.
Facebook | Twitter | Discord | Insane Hub
emfox

Activity: 276
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 05:05:40 AM

+1

Compensating for devtome is not the answer imo.. doubling source admin?? its only 1 share

oh, my wrong of bad english, I mean bounty for admins for write source code of other facilities(like my faucet), forum bounty etc, I remeber the forum bounty is 12 shares while now it is 36 shares. and every round we have addition bounty for every admins.

Earn Devcoins by Writing
BTC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut DVC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut
IXC: xnRKo3qSDdcPJ4pgTLER3orkquUVQXeLwf
Bittzy78
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1019

I do not give financial advice .. do your own DD

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 05:06:36 AM

Hi,
I was wondering why DVC value is going down so much, now very close to DOGE.

No telling why..

You could have a penny stock company worth $50,000,000 with only 2.5 million shares outstanding lose half its value in a matter of days, for no reason other than pure speculation.

This is a cryptocurrency and is only backed by the good graces of the people that hold the currency, not a company with hard assets. If people think it is worth more than the current price, it will go back up. If people think it is worth less than the current price, it will continue to go down.

The main thing to remember is, the market is always right, even if people think it is wrong.

There is nothing to prevent Devcoin from being in the $0.01 to $0.05 range in the future as long as the Devcoin economy grows...

Worrying about the daily up and down prices will only give you an ulcer. Smiley

As a side note Dogecoin has a trading volume that microcap companies dream of. I just checked on Crypsy and the Volume for DOGE/BTC is 571 BTC  (roughly $450,000) and DODE/LTC is 1833 LTC (roughly $40,000)... Egads Man!!!!

Pretty much this.

Dogecoin has some pretty good marketing for what it is. I'm seeing it mentioned in reddit a lot.

So you guys think if we could all get devcoin more popular and have it mentioned on more social sites that the value will rise?
-AM

I think that is a 100% guarantee.

Who doesn't have $50 laying around the house available to use for cryptocurrency speculation? People will buy low  in blocks of 10k, 25k or 50k and hope it goes to a dime. Lots of folks have read the news on Bitcoin and know it started out in the pennies.

I am a firm believer that the cryptocurrency landscape will be vastly different in December than it is now in January.

Bittzy78

░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░▒████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒█████████▀▀▀▀███████████████████▒░░
░░▒██████▀      ▀██████▀    ▀████▒░░
░░▒██████▄        ▀██▀       ████▒░░
░░▒███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▒░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░

▄                   ▄   ▄                                                        ▄
        ▀ ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▀ ▄▄██████████▄▄     ▄  ▄████████▄ ▄   ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██████     ▄▄██████   ████████████████   ▀▀  ██████████▀▀    ██████     ▄ ██████  ████████████████▄▄
  ██████   ███████    ▀ ██████  ██████████████████     ████████████     ███████    ▀▀██████  ████████████████▀▀
  ██████   ████████     ██████  ██████▀    ▀██████    ██████████████    ████████     ██████ ▄██████
  ██████ ▄██████████    ██████  ███████▄▄             ██████  ██████    █████████    ██████ ▀██████
▄ ██████   ██████████   ██████   ███████████▄▄       ██████    ██████   ██████████   ██████  ██████████████
▀ ██████   ███████████  ██████  ▄ ▀█████████████▄    ██████    ██████   ███████████  ██████  ██████████████  ██
  ██████   ██████ █████ ██████  ▀    ▀▀███████████  ██████      ██████  ██████ █████ ██████  ██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀
  ██████ ▄ ██████  ███████████            ▀▀███████ ██████████████████  ██████  ███████████  ██████
▄ ██████ ▀ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄     ▄██████████████████████████ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀ ██████   ██████    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████ ██████    ████████████████████████████
  ██████   ██████     ████████▀█▀███████████████████████          ████████████     ████████▀▀█████████████████
  ██████   ██████      ███████    ▀▀███████████▀▀ ██████    ▄▄    ████████████      ███████
           ██████     ▄ ██████           ▄▄                 ▀▀          ██████     ▄ ██████▄▄

GET IN TOUCH              
.▬▬Announcement▬▬.
Facebook | Twitter | Discord | Insane Hub
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 06:15:15 AM

I think some of you took the wrong idea from "running out of content".

The point is that authors should not be getting shares of mined bitcoins, they should be paid from the advertising revenues earned by the Devtome site.

The "run out of content" idea is basically that if we take away the constant massive throwing of outlandishly high amounts of coin at Devtome, letting it work like it is supposed to work, which is by having ads on it and using the revenue it earns from the ads to BUY DeVCoins on markets and pay the authors with THOSE DeVCoins, NOT with freshly minted DeVCoins, then we might find that people spend less time thinking up drivel to post to Devtome, resulting in Devtome running out of content DUE TO the authors failing to produce revenue-generating content thus failing to get paid thus possibly, maybe, according to some theories, no longer providing content.

I do not think it need happen that way for certain though, because other things could happen, gosh knows exactly what but suppose being published on Devtome was a valued privilege, maybe people would even pay to have their material published there or something.

But there does seem at a glance a chance that maybe if authors ONLY got paid what their articles ACTUALLY EARN BY ADS, a whole lot less "content" would be produced...

And that might make DeVCoins go up in exchange rate DUE TO less idiots who do not value the coins they get because they get them for work they consider value-less, to wit the posting of drivel to Devtome, having coins to dump for low prices.

In short, maybe if the minted coins went to people who value them instead of to people who are getting insane out of line massive amounts of them for pretty much doing nothing, or for promoting themselves and their ideas on someone else's bandwidth-and-hosting bill, they wouldn't get thrown away dirt cheap on the exchanges all the damn time.

(The fact that authors dump their coins cheap is probably at least partly due to them getting too many coins for too little work thus not valuing the coins highly.)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 06:43:04 AM

I think some of you took the wrong idea from "running out of content".

The point is that authors should not be getting shares of mined bitcoins, they should be paid from the advertising revenues earned by the Devtome site.

The "run out of content" idea is basically that if we take away the constant massive throwing of outlandishly high amounts of coin at Devtome, letting it work like it is supposed to work, which is by having ads on it and using the revenue it earns from the ads to BUY DeVCoins on markets and pay the authors with THOSE DeVCoins, NOT with freshly minted DeVCoins, then we might find that people spend less time thinking up drivel to post to Devtome, resulting in Devtome running out of content DUE TO the authors failing to produce revenue-generating content thus failing to get paid thus possibly, maybe, according to some theories, no longer providing content.

I do not think it need happen that way for certain though, because other things could happen, gosh knows exactly what but suppose being published on Devtome was a valued privilege, maybe people would even pay to have their material published there or something.

But there does seem at a glance a chance that maybe if authors ONLY got paid what their articles ACTUALLY EARN BY ADS, a whole lot less "content" would be produced...

And that might make DeVCoins go up in exchange rate DUE TO less idiots who do not value the coins they get because they get them for work they consider value-less, to wit the posting of drivel to Devtome, having coins to dump for low prices.

In short, maybe if the minted coins went to people who value them instead of to people who are getting insane out of line massive amounts of them for pretty much doing nothing, or for promoting themselves and their ideas on someone else's bandwidth-and-hosting bill, they wouldn't get thrown away dirt cheap on the exchanges all the damn time.

(The fact that authors dump their coins cheap is probably at least partly due to them getting too many coins for too little work thus not valuing the coins highly.)

-MarkM-

+100

This is what I have been saying aswell.. and the notion that devcoin will rise when devtome rises is pegging devcoin on the hopes of devtome, when it should be the other way around. Devtome will rise if devcoin rises, so when more people want devcoins they will write on devtome. (Is this the devtome project or devcoin? Are we a writing based project? Initial vision was for development, writing came secondary)

We have it the wrong way around right now. If we pay for software and hardware bounties, and they get done, then slowly devcoin will be more appealing, as more people write less drible because they want to "own" devcoins then the revenue generated by ads will be higher and an exponential cycle kicks off. Right now when the cycle starts the devtome writers are quick to dump, so no secondary buyers can sustain 180 million devcoin monthly for a sustained rise. If the writers got less, and developers got more there would be less dumping because I know for sure developers would not dump as much because they are working to "own" rather than to "sell" to bitcoins. I havent sold 1 devcoin since I owned any especially those I have earned through my software. I value it much higher, even though technically it is being held back.

Another thing when it comes to purposeful writing seems writers are nowhere to be found, if we have good writers atleast we can put them to good use and write some good documentation for our software manuals/tests so that we may attract others. The readme's in github, the verification tests, the general documentation that I suck at being a developer where a writer would flourish should be taken advantage of. Instead of categorized dribble we should leverage it to its advantages, pay for good work.
novacadian

Activity: 232
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 06:59:34 AM

... devtome ... as a single bounty project, it's too high...

It was explained to me that there is a method in the madness. The writing bounties have brought in a lot of new folks and interest. Many of those folks have moved on to other important administrative positions. The question is when is enough enough, for like you it seems to me that the writing bounties are out of whack.

Last split had me receive 100,000 DVC. It was for some testing done previously in DevTome. It was so inconsequential to me that my assumption was that something had gone wrong when testing a new faucet on the same day the split share arrived in my wallet. If an hour was spent on my 1000 word test entries it would be a surprise to me.

On the flip side over the last month a forum bounty has attracted my attention involving incoming and outgoing emails to a SM forum. The incoming aspect of the project was close to being finished when it was brought to my attention that if someone finished the first part then having the second part done was meaningless. Oddly, having the second part done seemed to have no relevance to the first part.

Obviously spending the month writing in DevTome would have been a much more secure endeavor, not to speak of less stressful. Once the SM Forum project is completed, either by me or someone else, my attention shall turn full time to DevTome until some degree of fairness is placed on programming bounties.

- Nova 

DVC Address : 1EfsiVUECqmR5Qx7C4PkmwadDXYuSGzssL
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 07:03:50 AM

You can't treat devcoins as an unbeatable deflationary value to the moon coin that must be held at all costs, and expect everyone to follow that behavior - it's just not attractive enough to speculators to sustain that. It's geared towards paying people for doing open source development (ie a good cause)...but what good is that pay that they can't take out at will? Part of it being a free market and competitive is that everyone will develop their own motivation to contribute - create open source software or write on devtome (or whatever else - admin, marketing, etc), and the market price will be leverage to that motivation.

The issue with devtome you guys seem to be having is that it might be over-subsidized. I only joined the devcoin community several weeks ago, and I actually thought devtome was an intrinsic part of the whole devcoin project - this came from both the fact that it's talked about so much, plus the huge number of generation shares it gets per round.

Regarding over-subsidy, whoever is deciding the rate of pay seems to be treating devtome growth as a priority, since it's subsidized so heavily (ad revenue is way less than writer payout). I think having devtome authors only get paid ad revenue will kill it off completely, because very few people will actually contribute any more. So this leads to the question: what's the purpose of devtome? Is it important or trivial to the proliferation of devcoins?
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 07:14:20 AM
Last edit: January 17, 2014, 07:32:10 AM by markm

Its original importance was that it was the only even potentially revenue-generating project.

There were supposed to be lots of revenue-generating projects but we seem to have ended up giving people bounties for creating their own privately held and not even open source revenue generating projects (bounties for exchanges that exchange devcoins, for example; Open Transactions is the only free open source exchange I know of so far, yet it is not the only exchange that got a bounty for including devcoins among their currency-pairs, is it?)

I guess maybe somewhere along the line the idea of the project owning its own revenue-generating businesses got lost, so instead in some kind of despair or somethng bounties started being given instead to third party businesses that merely happen to use devcoins in some way.

Businesses which presumably ought to have been run by the project itself, if the idea of the project having income generators was still a goal. Instead we have rewarded people for creating competing businesses maybe, in effect.

e.g. Maybe an example of a revenue generating site would be one that sells gift cards; but instead of creating a bounty for developing the project such a site, the profits of which the project would use to buy devcoins on markets to support the exchange rate, we somehow ended up paying someone or someones else to create such sites of their own instead of to create such sites for the project to own and use in its supposed strategic plan of making a bunch of revenue generating free open source projects so that it would have revenue with which to buy devcoins thus to uphold devcoin exchange rates.

Presumably using the original idea as I understood it what we would do with free open source spaceships once we 3d-printed them ought to be to use them in a business such as maybe a space tourism business or asteroid mining or something in order to obtain revenue with which to purchase devcoins on exchanges so that devcoin exchange rates would be upheld. A kind of a central bank concept though in a way, this idea that the project would deliberately buy devcoins in order to make devcoins have value...

So presumably we would hire astronauts and stewards and such with DeVCoins, to run these businesses, but offering the products and services of these businesses not only for DeVCoins but for any currency we could use to purchase DeVCoins on exchanges.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
melodiem

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 07:29:21 AM

nothing else to spend on we could have made another devtome but maybr something to do with useful sourcecode.. if we gave more precedence to source we would get better output as a whole...Imagine the number of writers as developers instead.. we would have the best wallet softwares and probably some new features other coins dont have.

I totally support Open Source software being funded in any way, but for those of us who have put just as many years as the developers, developing our skills and art its hard not to take a little offence at that..

I dont think the issue is the types of content, so much as how its accessed/managed that gives the impression there is less valuable work on there, than there really is. I think there is already a very credible collection of factual, developer works. They are just a bit hard to find some days Wink

I am working on am idea for managing Devtome content that might help over come this, give equal value to any "original" work and still allow an awesome techy/geek/wallet/developer repository that I think might work (if reading the dokuwiki documentation doesn't do my head in first!) I will share when its readable Smiley

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 07:35:23 AM

Yes well there is of course the idea that if a population is seemingly not generating enough income its curators / custodians / tourist-boards / someone should find ways to make use of / make valuable / make valued / value what it is they actually do, even if that means just admitting we are a nation of slackers who dribble a lot and making that a tourist attraction. Wink Cheesy

-MarkM-

advanced

Activity: 267
Merit: 250

Woodwallets.io

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 08:16:58 AM

Can devcoin do something about OpenBSD funding problem?

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=138972987203440&w=2

They will likely close up production if not funded, and they did so much for open source that they might deserve some help. Not to talk about the  HUGE opportunity of getting people to know about Devcoin by seeing it in action.

Bitmessage : BM-NAx31aEiqeq5zKUtxhKscXQ7Dwn1jJfR
Hunterbunter

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 08:26:06 AM

Its original importance was that it was the only even potentially revenue-generating project.

There were supposed to be lots of revenue-generating projects but we seem to have ended up giving people bounties for creating their own privately held and not even open source revenue generating projects (bounties for exchanges that exchange devcoins, for example; Open Transactions is the only free open source exchange I know of so far, yet it is not the only exchange that got a bounty for including devcoins among their currency-pairs, is it?)

I guess maybe somewhere along the line the idea of the project owning its own revenue-generating businesses got lost, so instead in some kind of despair or somethng bounties started being given instead to third party businesses that merely happen to use devcoins in some way.

Businesses which presumably ought to have been run by the project itself, if the idea of the project having income generators was still a goal. Instead we have rewarded people for creating competing businesses maybe, in effect.

e.g. Maybe an example of a revenue generating site would be one that sells gift cards; but instead of creating a bounty for developing the project such a site, the profits of which the project would use to buy devcoins on markets to support the exchange rate, we somehow ended up paying someone or someones else to create such sites of their own instead of to create such sites for the project to own and use in its supposed strategic plan of making a bunch of revenue generating free open source projects so that it would have revenue with which to buy devcoins thus to uphold devcoin exchange rates.

Presumably using the original idea as I understood it what we would do with free open source spaceships once we 3d-printed them ought to be to use them in a business such as maybe a space tourism business or asteroid mining or something in order to obtain revenue with which to purchase devcoins on exchanges so that devcoin exchange rates would be upheld. A kind of a central bank concept though in a way, this idea that the project would deliberately buy devcoins in order to make devcoins have value...

So presumably we would hire astronauts and stewards and such with DeVCoins, to run these businesses, but offering the products and services of these businesses not only for DeVCoins but for any currency we could use to purchase DeVCoins on exchanges.

-MarkM-

I think I can see why that original intention petered out. The idea, if I understand it correctly, was that the devcoin administration could create open-source websites (through bounties), which were chartered to turn all non-devcoin profits into devcoins on the open market, supporting both those who created the websites / businesses, and everyone else. There's a problem with this, from a money-making perspective, in that generally to succeed in business, the fewer people that know what you're doing and how you're doing it, the better. Having an open source gift card website (for example), means that everyone else who uses that open source software, along with any extra proprietary bits to get a business advantage, could more easily set one up too. It's going to always be a race to the bottom, in one form or another, by making it open source, even if it was done properly. It just doesn't make for good business, because with all FOSS, devcoins are paying people to produce value then give it out for free. It's very hard to profit from that - redhat did it through service and support, which is one consideration.

One alternative is to create a new genre of open-source licensing, whereby the source follows some existing form like MIT with a caveat; if it's used commercially, some small amount must be paid to the devcoin project. This may generate some significant revenue, but it's going to create other problems too, like not really being fully FOSS. It will essentially turn devcoin into a software producer that sells its wares, which may or may not make a further mess of things.

Another alternative is to have a "Members" structure, whereby companies can simply pay a fee to be official members of the devcoin project. They don't have to have run open source software themselves, but are still able to help everyone (and potentially themselves, if they end up with code that benefits them) and still run their business as usual. ICANN is a bit like this, the group who manage the domain names - member countries just pay a fee to come to conferences and the like plus a few reports, where there is some news or some member feedback given weekly/monthly/whatever. Perhaps they can also have a hand in suggesting bounties, or at least in the ability to add their own bounties to project created ones.

I think the devcoin project is in an unfortunate position where its objective (to increase open source development) is directly at odds with the ability to produce revenue. It could very well start businesses, as you say, or even provide clauses for bounties, that some portion of income earned after the bounty is awarded is repaid back for a year or something, so if profit is made from a bounty, there must be some return - this will hold up the price a little, as not as many coins will find their way to the open market. The bounty winner can still create the open source software and cover running costs a little, until everyone copies their code (which is freely available!) and competes them out of business.

Hmm...this requires more thought.

K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 08:52:40 AM

exactly, i hope DVC finds the way back to a Dev(eloper)coin and not writer/dumper-coin Sad

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 09:21:49 AM

I totally support Open Source software being funded in any way, but for those of us who have put just as many years as the developers, developing our skills and art its hard not to take a little offence at that..

I dont think the issue is the types of content, so much as how its accessed/managed that gives the impression there is less valuable work on there, than there really is. I think there is already a very credible collection of factual, developer works. They are just a bit hard to find some days Wink

I am working on am idea for managing Devtome content that might help over come this, give equal value to any "original" work and still allow an awesome techy/geek/wallet/developer repository that I think might work (if reading the dokuwiki documentation doesn't do my head in first!) I will share when its readable Smiley

I think there are different issues. The one they're referring to is more about relative payment rather than denegrating writing (at least that's how I see it).

What doesn't make sense to me, or I think to devcoin generally, is that OS projects and developers on the regular payment list receive 1 share per round yet writing 1,000 words also accrues 1 share. That could be resolved really easily be just capping the monthly round payout per individual to a much lower amount - this would align devtome with all the other projects and recipients (because there's no actual limit on writing submission) and just roll over per word payments into future rounds. It would also force those writers to take more interest in how their work and that of others is sourced, presented, marketed and perhaps any revenue potential - rather than just post and wait for earnings.

For example, the post above about freeBSD - much more could be done in the way of external funding support (which would probably provide greater visibility and in turn devcoin support) if distribution was overhauled.

It comes down to the value of working. You may work on and value your writings at X value, so may I, but it only takes a few people who value their submissions near zero to undermine the payment mechanics and therefore the bigger effort. The monthly devtome per-share value is simply too high. Nowhere else does this exist, so all that's happening is that at some point each round market mechanics work to drop the price to a level commensurate with or closer to what 1,000 words may be worth.

For Devcoin to really evolve into a valued means for people to invest in and support ideas and developments they value and want (i.e. a payment mechanism) there needs to a much greater refocus on how to optimise that and show it works, rather than overly function on a round-by-round scramble for payout.

I say all that as someone who spends a lot of time on devtome, writes on devtome and think the concept is very worthwhile. It's just that the way it pays is counter-productive, very inefficient and the effective subsidy provided by all other devcoin ideas and projects is way too high.

People keep saying there'd be no writers if the subsidy was cut. I don't think that's true, and should be challenged. The world is full of ideas and artisans who value their art for its own sake without any pay, let alone ott pay.
Hunterbunter

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 09:50:18 AM

For Devcoin to really evolve into a valued means for people to invest in and support ideas and developments they value and want (i.e. a payment mechanism) there needs to a much greater refocus on how to optimise that and show it works, rather than overly function on a round-by-round scramble for payout.

I say all that as someone who spends a lot of time on devtome, writes on devtome and think the concept is very worthwhile. It's just that the way it pays is counter-productive, very inefficient and the effective subsidy provided by all other devcoin ideas and projects is way too high.

People keep saying there'd be no writers if the subsidy was cut. I don't think that's true, and should be challenged. The world is full of ideas and artisans who value their art for its own sake without any pay, let alone ott pay.

Just for my sake, I was referring to a shutdown of pay to ad-generated levels only...it would probably still grow, but it might take a very long time to become a world player. It's difficult to market that, though.

I think you raise a good point about optimizing the devtome payout...do you have any ideas (or anyone else) on other strategies to try? Are the elder admins willing to reconsider it? Do they already have goals in mind with pre-planned payout dropping to non-subsidy levels? Is any of this written down anywhere? Just how exactly are the high level decisions made at the moment? I understand UTB is founding administrator, and has the final nod on everything, but is that as intended? I'm not having a go or anything, just trying to understand what the process is. I know what devcoins are, but what is devcoins?

In that vein...are there any long term strategic pages (on devtome or otherwise) for the intended growth or public charter on the administration of devcoin?

One of the things I like about the devcoin project is that it actually has a system of leadership. It behaves like a benefit corporation, but even those have investors, shares and directors, and don't have their own currency. Alternatively, a regular government has its own currency, performs services for its members and charges a tax to fund it, which devcoins has elements of. Is it sitting in the middle of the two?
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 10:50:00 AM
Last edit: January 17, 2014, 11:30:59 AM by markm

Wikipedia never paid authors, did it?

So I guess it ran out of content/authors?

Even in relatively early days when pretty much anyone could give themselves a link or few from Wikipedia just by picking a relevant page and editing it to give themselves a link the links alone were valuable, worth becoming and author to get.

I think wikipedia pretty much proves that not paying authors doesn't lead to no authors and/or bad content.

How about we try a bounty system for the Devtome project as a whole?

Offer bounties such as "Devtome gets X number of DeVCoin shares if it manages to reach $#### paycheque from Adwords" ?

Have Devtome do its own sharing out of its DeVCoins to its authors any way it wants, but DeVCoin only award minted coins to it when/if it meets specific goals such as a certain sized ad-revenue cheque, a certain average pagerank of its pages, a certain pagerank of its highest ranked page, a certain amount of daily traffic to project X, a certain amount of daily traffic to project Y and suchlike?

Then the authors could work together to try to maximise such features of the Devtome as a whole...

-MarkM-

Pages: « 1 ... 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 [197] 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: