Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:47:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 ... 508 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ActiveMining] The Official Active Mining Discussion Thread [Self-Moderated]  (Read 771089 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Nootnewbie

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 04:39:43 PM

Ken,

Can you verify what U.S. Bitfunder users need to do to be sure that their shares preserved?  Do we need to be sure our public bitcoin address is one where we can sign?  For example, a non-CoinBase address?

Yes, you need to have a public Bitcoin address that you can sign, so that we can verify the number of shares you own from the Bitfunder Asset List.

Thanks for the quick reply Ken!

To everybody else:  Anybody have a favorite wallet they use that has signing capabilities?  I'd prefer something online as opposed to a paper wallet.  Something easy to use.
WikileaksDude

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 05:02:27 PM

Ken,

Can you verify what U.S. Bitfunder users need to do to be sure that their shares preserved?  Do we need to be sure our public bitcoin address is one where we can sign?  For example, a non-CoinBase address?

Yes, you need to have a public Bitcoin address that you can sign, so that we can verify the number of shares you own from the Bitfunder Asset List.

To everybody else:  Anybody have a favorite wallet they use that has signing capabilities?  I'd prefer something online as opposed to a paper wallet.  Something easy to use.

My address is from blockchain.info, is it possible to sign from there?
PurpleTentacle

Activity: 384
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 05:16:33 PM

Ken,

My address is from blockchain.info, is it possible to sign from there?

Yes, you can sign with blockchain.info: https://blockchain.info/wallet/wallet-faq (scroll down).

stereotype
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 05:37:27 PM

Taken from Labrat thread, and edited to be generic....

How to sign a message using blockchain.info:

- Click on receive money
   - click on the actions button to the right of the address your using
   - click on sign message
      - enter email body as detailed from requester
   - click sign message
   - copy "signature" output
Close "Sign Message" window

Using the message and signature, you can create a new email which you can send to requester
jrodder
Copper Member

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 05:42:46 PM

Ken,

Can you verify what U.S. Bitfunder users need to do to be sure that their shares preserved?  Do we need to be sure our public bitcoin address is one where we can sign?  For example, a non-CoinBase address?

If I run my wallet on my local machine, is that not good enough? I have shares currently on bitfunder, US customer.
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 05:45:11 PM

Ken,

Can you verify what U.S. Bitfunder users need to do to be sure that their shares preserved?  Do we need to be sure our public bitcoin address is one where we can sign?  For example, a non-CoinBase address?

If I run my wallet on my local machine, is that not good enough? I have shares currently on bitfunder, US customer.

Assuming you are referring to bitcoin-QT or Armory, then yes, you'll be able to sign messages from your receiving address.

neilol

Activity: 302

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 05:46:26 PM

Ken,

It is scary when you have people in here investing in super risky mining securities who don't really have a grasp of how the blockchain and bitcoin protocol works in general.

knybe

Activity: 658

decentralize EVERYTHING...

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 05:50:36 PM

Ken,

To everybody else:  Anybody have a favorite wallet they use that has signing capabilities?  I'd prefer something online as opposed to a paper wallet.  Something easy to use.

sign with any of these although I prefer Bitcoin-Qt: Choose your Bitcoin wallet
VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 05:51:24 PM

Ken,

It is scary when you have people in here investing in super risky mining securities who don't really have a grasp of how the blockchain and bitcoin protocol works in general.

maybe he only has 25 dollars worth of shares, in which case I don't see what's wrong with investing in something you don't completely understand

stereotype
Legendary

Activity: 1554

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 05:51:52 PM

Ken,

Assuming you are referring to bitcoin-QT or Armory, then yes, you'll be able to sign messages from your receiving address.

Walk through of -qt sign and verify .......  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oxM9_OCQKM&feature=youtu.be&t=35s
knybe

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 05:54:51 PM

Ken,

maybe he only has 25 dollars worth of shares, in which case I don't see what's wrong with investing in something you don't completely understand

Patience, old dogs... teach don't spurn.

It's all part of the learning process.

The more using Bitcoin, the merrier.

jrodder
Copper Member

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 06:19:17 PM

Ken,

Heh. I am a network/systems admin by trade. I simply don't have enough time in the day to know the intricacies of everything I deal with on a day to day basis. I haven't given enough study to this particular facet of the blockchain, no. The last few posts were helpful. If I cared about what people thought about me before asking a question, I suppose I could have eventually found the answer myself. Instead I asked for help from people that *do* have the invested knowledge, and were willing to give me a few minutes of time to post a reply. I thank you for that.
neilol

Activity: 302

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 06:53:47 PM

Ken,

Heh. I am a network/systems admin by trade. I simply don't have enough time in the day to know the intricacies of everything I deal with on a day to day basis. I haven't given enough study to this particular facet of the blockchain, no. The last few posts were helpful. If I cared about what people thought about me before asking a question, I suppose I could have eventually found the answer myself. Instead I asked for help from people that *do* have the invested knowledge, and were willing to give me a few minutes of time to post a reply. I thank you for that.

I came off harsh, there's nothing wrong with not knowing how all this works, and even less wrong with asking. I just personally think you are adding an unnecessary layer of risk investing BEFORE you get to do the research. But hey if its an inconsequential amount of money to you, you could view it as tuition if something goes south you otherwise would have seen. You sure as hell would learn how to sign a message if it meant you were going to lose all your shares Smiley

redbeans2012

Activity: 887

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 06:54:34 PM

Ken,

One doesn't need to understand the full workings of the internet if they want to invest in google, or how an iphone works if they want to invest in apple.
somestranger

Activity: 487

Are You Shpongled?

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 08:13:08 PM

Unfortunately that's what we're working with. Ken is aware of that issue just as much as anyone else. It's just a matter of time before the same problem happens, but you've got to admit that bitfunder and btct were the big dogs, easier to find. Ken's just buying some more time, that's all that can be done. He's ambitiously working on a more viable alternative, whether it's color coins or ripple based.

If the transfer of shares is going to scare you, you might want to sell. If not, with the rise of BTC value, the mining ROI is increasing which can only help ACTM.
There won't be any market trading until colored coins are implemented, so I don't see it getting shut down. If anyone gets colored coins working in production then the other exchanges would follow closely... after all it is open source if it's going to use the Bitcoin blockchain (unless AM came up with a whole new coin, but colored coins certainly seem like a better idea). I think theoretically this would also allow shares to be moved from one exchange to another and enable efficient arbitrage that was impossible with  BTC-TC and Bitfunder's centralized approach.
jrodder
Copper Member

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 08:17:22 PM

Ken,

I came off harsh, there's nothing wrong with not knowing how all this works, and even less wrong with asking. I just personally think you are adding an unnecessary layer of risk investing BEFORE you get to do the research. But hey if its an inconsequential amount of money to you, you could view it as tuition if something goes south you otherwise would have seen. You sure as hell would learn how to sign a message if it meant you were going to lose all your shares Smiley

Indeed. More to the point, I didn't really keep up in the forums as to what was needed from me as an investor in order to keep my shares active. Initially I was thinking I would have to transfer shares to someone I trust that isn't in the US.

So as long as I have a public address, and am using Bitcoin-QT (currently in linux) I should be prepared for the coming change? Is there somewhere I can read a synopsis?
Nootnewbie

Activity: 63

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 11:28:04 PM

So I know everything is currently under NDA still.  That being said, does anybody have an idea of where we are in the current timeline?

Ken says he'll order the first batch once he knows the prototypes work.  I assume this means that the samples have not been delivered yet or they have been delivered and testing is still commencing. 

Best case scenario, when do we begin hashing?  When are miners shipped?  Are we expecting more $$ to come from hashing or sales?
Effayy

Activity: 75

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 11:48:37 PM

So I know everything is currently under NDA still.  That being said, does anybody have an idea of where we are in the current timeline?

Up s__t creek w_th_ut a pa_dle.

Would you like buy a vowel or are you ready to solve now?

In your example, the H would already be uncovered since it appears in the word "without".  Also, the D in paddle would be uncovered because of the d right beside it.

A for effort, but try to get it right next time. Wink

BTC: 1FJ6nP3BmEDrpGZP5UtaGUrssV3A6rnhpU
knybe

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 12:15:59 AM

please?

Effayy

Activity: 75

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 12:20:58 AM

please?

Oh come now.  I only pop up once every 20 pages, I say something that is heads and tails more polite than the rest of you do to crumbs, and *I* get the don't feed the trolls speech?

BTC: 1FJ6nP3BmEDrpGZP5UtaGUrssV3A6rnhpU
Pages: « 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 ... 508 »
  Print  

Jump to: