Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 05:53:15 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2451 2452 2453 2454 2455 2456 2457 2458 2459 2460 2461 2462 2463 2464 2465 2466 2467 2468 2469 2470 2471 2472 2473 2474 2475 2476 2477 2478 2479 2480 2481 2482 2483 2484 2485 2486 2487 2488 2489 2490 2491 2492 2493 2494 2495 2496 2497 2498 2499 2500 [2501] 2502 2503 2504 2505 2506 2507 2508 2509 2510 2511 2512 2513 2514 2515 2516 2517 2518 2519 2520 2521 2522 2523 2524 2525 2526 2527 2528 2529 2530 2531 2532 2533 2534 2535 2536 2537 2538 2539 2540 2541 2542 2543 2544 2545 2546 2547 2548 2549 2550 2551 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761539 times)
landomata
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 06:03:09 PM

Good bye brian and good luck with your other investments. shame you feel the way you do. can i add that you cant have solid concrete foundations without SAND.  

Enough said. +1

+1

The thousand eyes & hands will never be defeated....and IF by chance we are defeated.....CFB will REANIMATE....man it's like the Borg collective.

Resistance is futile.

Asian Prepper

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 06:24:27 PM

1.  We had the first public NXT community & Development Update last Wednesday with several people in the NXT community including Come From Beyond, Damelon, QBTC, Uniqueorn, Adam Levine, Opticalcarrier, Randall, etc and others who chose to remain anonymous.

The purpose of these NXT updates are to keep everyone in the NXT community informed and up to date with the latest developments and progress from NXT without having to read multiple forums.

Here is the NXT Community & Development Update #1 video:

http://nxtfoundation.com/updates/

2.  I will post this status update video in all the major nxt forums for now but in the future it will only be posted to Nxtforum.org.

3.  I'm in the process of creating a system that will automatically broadcast these status update videos to the community as soon as they are uploaded so you don't have to constantly check in the forums.

4.  Any suggestions and constructive criticisms to make future hangouts and updates better are highly welcomed.

5.  The goal is to have future updates broadcasted on Youtube Livestream and have a chat roll available so NXT community members can interact and do a Q&A during the update.

Enjoy!
Tai Zen

The next update will be next Wed, april 9th at gmt +1 (11am EST).  One of our main guests will be Wesley and he'll spend a few minutes to update us on the NXT Wesley Client which will soon become the default NXT client after it's code has been reviewed so stay tuned.

As of 2014-04-09 I no longer post as "Asian Prepper" and will post under my real name "Tai Zen" to eliminate confusion.

Founder of www.PrisonOrFreedom.com | BTC: 19HHZ1yEimKUYVFM9TkXqd9xwM54jSFrmc | LTC:  LTA99422wieqR1MfWeNxZU5xAsESE9MzW7 | NXT:  17225446755425423638
abctc
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1038

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 06:34:17 PM

Brian, I remain convinced you are a very skilled and impressive troll.
+ 1440!

2 all: Please stop feeding the trolls.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

, the Next platform.  Magis quam Moneta (More than a Coin)
zorke

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 06:43:47 PM

Guys can I use any special character for a password? And what is a maximal length of a password?

Thanks

Guys please answer me these few questions. This is for one of my friends back home that I got into NXT. He is a complete newbie and doesn't speak English very well so he asked me to ask them here for him. However he can read a bit so these answers will calm him down. He is scared and a bit paranoid that he can lose his investment so please answer these for him:

1. Can he use his NRS 0.7.5 sometimes even though we are in 8 series? I have set it up for him and since the updates roll out very often  he doesn't know how to update it. If he just logs in sometimes to make a transaction or two, can he run in some kind of trouble?

2. What is the maximum length of the password? Can he set for example a 130 character password or it will just get cut after some number of characters. Even though I tell him such a long password is not necessary he insists to have such long passwords.

The most important question is about special characters. Since he is a foreigner can he use foreign special characters in his password. Characters like €, £, à, ç, ć, š, etc..  He is accessing his account without any problems at the moment but he wants to know can he have a problem in the future when new clients will come out etc. Can these characters somehow be changed and if he uses them, can he lose access to his account one time in the future.

I already asked these questions yesterday and today in my name, but nobody answered them. So please guys answer this for my friend, this will calm him up a bit. Every member is important for our community.

Thanks guys.
ChuckOne

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 06:45:34 PM

What ratio of existing accounts need to be running an open client for the network to be secure?

Undecidable. Depends on the definition of security which depends on the definition of the goals of each participant.

My concern is that since small stakeholders do not get NXT (not nodecoin) rewards for running an open client, what will happen
if most of these people lock their clients once Nxt gets widely distributed?

Nothing will happen. It is not that small stakeholders do not get no NXTs. Relatively small stakeholders do not get relatively few NXTs. That is a very important difference.

Hypothetical: What if all the Nxt in existence were divided equally amongst 2,000,000 accounts? where each would have 500 Nxt.
What if most of these people didn't open their clients? What would happen?  

Nothing will happen. The complement of the most of these people will forge instead of them earning fees.

According to James if more than a million people locked their clients nxt would be vulnerable. That is until transparent forging is implemented, at which point DDOS attacks to individual nodes becomes the new problem.

That is James. He maked up numbers all the time without any proof.

DDos is a valid concern in every Internet-exposed application.

Seems the answer is to keep Nxt from getting too widely distributed. God bless the 1%

I do not think so.
Daedelus

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 06:52:36 PM

Find the info on leased forging and hubs (you have read about this as you have referenced it). Find the discussion about how leased forging could be done without it leading to centralisation. Read cfbs transparent forging thread again. Find ciyam and mtchls discussion and maths here about the impact of penalties and distribution of nxts on the length of forging streaks. Or just remember it if you are wilfully forgetting.

Potential investors, paper boys, crazy millionaires, hooters girls and anyone else reading this should, before anything else!  Grin find and understand the information above. A good way would be to start you own discussion thread  Cheesy

Then you'll know which other questions are worth pursuing  Wink
okaynow

Activity: 546

PGP 9CB0902E

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 06:54:04 PM

1. Can he use his NRS 0.7.5 sometimes even though we are in 8 series? I have set it up for him and since the updates roll out very often  he doesn't know how to update it. If he just logs in sometimes to make a transaction or two, can he run in some kind of trouble?

He'll be forking sooner or later. Is he really a friend of yours? Teach him how to update, and teach him the importance of staying updated. he'll thank you in the long run.

2. What is the maximum length of the password? Can he set for example a 130 character password or it will just get cut after some number of characters. Even though I tell him such a long password is not necessary he insists to have such long passwords.
I am using a 392 char pass. Paranoid much?

The most important question is about special characters. Since he is a foreigner can he use foreign special characters in his password. Characters like €, £, à, ç, ć, š, etc..  He is accessing his account without any problems at the moment but he wants to know can he have a problem in the future when new clients will come out etc. Can these characters somehow be changed and if he uses them, can he lose access to his account one time in the future.
Similarly, in a 392 char password, i've been using special characters, along with non-latin characters successfully so far..

These from me, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will help out.

1PeecNu1J8VNKpgR13nasMZWLcMZrwNJfc
LiQio
Legendary

Activity: 1181
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 06:55:53 PM
Last edit: April 04, 2014, 07:11:35 PM by LiQio

Guys can I use any special character for a password? And what is a maximal length of a password?

Thanks

Guys please answer me these few questions. This is for one of my friends back home that I got into NXT. He is a complete newbie and doesn't speak English very well so he asked me to ask them here for him. However he can read a bit so these answers will calm him down. He is scared and a bit paranoid that he can lose his investment so please answer these for him:

I already asked these questions yesterday and today in my name, but nobody answered them. So please guys answer this for my friend, this will calm him up a bit. Every member is important for our community.

Thanks guys.

1. https://nxtforum.org/index.php?topic=337.msg5560#msg5560

2. once heard 100, longer strings will be truncated. probably more in the wiki

3. yes, unicode is supported - every client should support it also in the future

Edit: hi okaynow

Edit2: my 21 char (only a-z + numbers) still untouched - maybe this changes, now that some guy has made a gpu optimized curve25519 implementation
zorke

Activity: 238

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 07:25:42 PM

Thanks

Thanks guys.

1. https://nxtforum.org/index.php?topic=337.msg5560#msg5560

2. once heard 100, longer strings will be truncated. probably more in the wiki

3. yes, unicode is supported - every client should support it also in the future

Edit: hi okaynow

Edit2: my 21 char (only a-z + numbers) still untouched - maybe this changes, now that some guy has made a gpu optimized curve25519 implementation

Thanks okaynow and thanks liQio. I will teach him, but the problem is that we live in different countries. I can't really do it until I don't go back home.

We will manage that, no problem.

The most important thing out of these questions is that he cannot loose access to his account because he is using non-latin special characters. Can somebody else confirm that he will not have problems in the future and that all clients will support all possible world characters. If this is not a case than he needs to change his password.
ChuckOne

Activity: 364

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 07:44:38 PM

The most important thing out of these questions is that he cannot loose access to his account because he is using non-latin special characters. Can somebody else confirm that he will not have problems in the future and that all clients will support all possible world characters. If this is not a case than he needs to change his password.

Well, we cannot foresee the future. But rest assured that he will always be able to transfer his funds to a different account with a working password.

EDIT: substitute always by within a reasonable amount of time.
gs02xzz

Activity: 221

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 07:45:41 PM

NXT without having to read multiple forums.

Here is the NXT Community & Development Update #1 video:

http://nxtfoundation.com/updates/

+1. Great work!
himmelsfaller2

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 07:55:15 PM

The point is that it's POSSIBLE. i

It's possible to arrest all Ripple employee, and shut them down.
It's also possible to buy all bitcoin riggs, and take over bitcoin completely.
It's also possible that we will be all dead anyway by next mutation of flue virus.
I am not losing sleep over any of these possibilities.

wtf. I put in $18000, now its worth maybe $ 9000. I'm a fool. So maybe some whale got my other $9000 or maybe not, who cares.
I'm risking something because I think I'm seeing an interesting way. What's about our decisions? Is there a right way?
The only thing we can do is experiencing life. After maybe 80 years life is gone, nothing left behind,
so everything will be gone, everything is changing. Go and make some experiences, because if you're dead
all the possibilities are gone
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 08:45:48 PM

The point is that it's POSSIBLE. i

It's possible to arrest all Ripple employee, and shut them down.
It's also possible to buy all bitcoin riggs, and take over bitcoin completely.
It's also possible that we will be all dead anyway by next mutation of flue virus.
I am not losing sleep over any of these possibilities.

wtf. I put in $18000, now its worth maybe $ 9000. I'm a fool. So maybe some whale got my other $9000 or maybe not, who cares.
I'm risking something because I think I'm seeing an interesting way. What's about our decisions? Is there a right way?
The only thing we can do is experiencing life. After maybe 80 years life is gone, nothing left behind,
so everything will be gone, everything is changing. Go and make some experiences, because if you're dead
all the possibilities are gone

exactely. No one can predict the market, but it is possible to see if a coins technology and dev team is superior. If the coins price was up significantly, than most trolls would shut their mouths very fast.

It is the same with BTC, all the bears and trolls are singing praise songs and feel so fking great right now, but where are those people on the upswing?

it is a shame that these great innovations are reduced to such banal things as market capitalization, who gives a damn in the shortterm?

Emule

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 08:56:34 PM

nxt will be under heavy attack soon! be prepared!

brian was closer to the truth than you all think, but the truth is even worse, i need no 51% to attack nxt and make it die.

whales, time is up you got the chance to sell and did not, face it!
pandaisftw

Activity: 224

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 09:06:48 PM

brian was closer to the truth than you all think, but the truth is even worse, i need no 51% to attack nxt and make it die.

Oh hey, you're back! (Just as brian left!)

NXT: 13095091276527367030
Daedelus

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 09:16:50 PM

Can someone help me out? Maybe a service provider dev? I'm not convinced so far Wink

Why is the Genesis Account Passphrase being public an important milestone?

https://nxtforum.org/general/what-is-the-importance-of-the-genesis-account-passphrase-being-public/

Thanks  Grin
Daedelus

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 09:20:58 PM

Any chance of a progress update?

Remember to include monetary system now Cheesy

Ps we're always under attack  Wink Grin Grin
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 09:25:41 PM

Nice, now you gonna BUY nxt?

Ola

Activity: 311

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 10:53:09 PM

Counterwallet will be live on mainnet this Sunday, 6
April.

Heads up team Nxt..I think Mastercoin is about to be bumped off. https://testnet.counterwallet.co/

Nxter,Bitcoiner,Ether highlevel developer working to improve the world.
mthcl

Activity: 376
Merit: 300

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 11:37:20 PM

That's assuming the rest are all dishonest and coordinating together. An impossibility.

If 50% of all stakeholders shut down their clients (bitching at them for whining about not getting rewards doesn't help, they don't read bitcointalk.org)

26% of 1B is 260MM

This is what I want to know. In a nutshell.

If a Malicious person is able to acquire 260MM Nxt (current cost around 7.5MM to 10MM) by using pools or whatever can they bring down Nxt?

How likely is this? It seems possible to me. If it's possible, even if it's unlikely, then Nxt is built on sand and I would not advise
anyone to base their business around it.

C-F-B or Mtchcl (maths guy) could shut me up for all time by giving me a definitive answer here.
Sorry for answering late, I don't visit this thread very frequently.  nxtforum.org is more convenient.

Well, I don't want to shut you up, because it's important to discuss security issues. Now, I don't think that someone who collects 260MM NXT would be able to destroy it.
First, even someone who controls 90% of active balance wouldn't be able to forge too many blocks in a row, unless he disconnects from the network and "forge privately"; but such kind of behavior should be detectable by other means.
Secondly, even if he could, the situation is still very different from PoW.  In PoW, if someone has really a lot of hashing power, the he could first kill coin X, then kill coin Y with no additional cost, and so on. I vaguely remember that some people from this forum may be doing exactly that ("shitcoin cleanup operation"?..). On the other hand, in PoS the bad guy would first have to spend a lot of $$$ to kill X, which is already a bit weird (you invest a lot of money just to make your investment disappear). Then, the community decides to start a clone of the project (or something similar is already around), and the bad guy need to spend another $$$  to destroy this next one. And so on. I think, this bad guy will just run out of money very soon, and end of story.
Pages: « 1 ... 2451 2452 2453 2454 2455 2456 2457 2458 2459 2460 2461 2462 2463 2464 2465 2466 2467 2468 2469 2470 2471 2472 2473 2474 2475 2476 2477 2478 2479 2480 2481 2482 2483 2484 2485 2486 2487 2488 2489 2490 2491 2492 2493 2494 2495 2496 2497 2498 2499 2500 [2501] 2502 2503 2504 2505 2506 2507 2508 2509 2510 2511 2512 2513 2514 2515 2516 2517 2518 2519 2520 2521 2522 2523 2524 2525 2526 2527 2528 2529 2530 2531 2532 2533 2534 2535 2536 2537 2538 2539 2540 2541 2542 2543 2544 2545 2546 2547 2548 2549 2550 2551 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: