Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:14:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 [868] 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722504 times)
anonymousxx1503

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 04:46:42 AM

Good news on the development front, yet a small dip on the charts. Are folks not happy with the open source release of DarkSend?
I'm not dumping any of my dark anytime soon! I would hope that it isn't open sourced until fully vetted.

That's what I am worried about as well. DarkSend must be open sourced for it to be taken seriously, but that should only happen once it is completely vetted and ready. RC2 is not even out yet and open source in 2 weeks??? that seems awfully fast compared to the previous development pace.  Thinking about aloud here... but is Evan maybe trying to beat the Zerocoin whitepaper release?

zerocoin whitepaper is already out, zerocash maybe?

I'd like to thank eduffield and the other developers for this critically important evolution in virtual currency. DarkCoin is what bitcoin should have been. Some might call it "Bitcoin 2.0" but would do better by saying: "DarkCoin is digital cash." - Child Harold - February 28, 2014
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg5424980#msg5424980

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
anonymousxx1503

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 04:48:35 AM

Yep. It's pretty funny how many people out there lack the vision to see longer than a day or a week. They run around like a mob of chickens with their heads cut off, throwing their money in random directions with the faint hope they will become rich. They have the foresight of moles and the attention span of goldfish. They don't care about coins with legitimate futures, unless of course they heard about it in trollbox, in which case they buy at the top and bang their heads on desks when the dump truck buries them in shit.

I'm loving the metaphors and intensity of this response. I'm also awestruck by the stupidity of the general crypto population most of the time. This is an exciting time to live in if you're smart and have money. It really feels like the stock market in 99-00 but I was too young to make/lose money then. (Except this market has on average dumber people investing in it if you ask me)

I'd like to thank eduffield and the other developers for this critically important evolution in virtual currency. DarkCoin is what bitcoin should have been. Some might call it "Bitcoin 2.0" but would do better by saying: "DarkCoin is digital cash." - Child Harold - February 28, 2014
JGCMiner

Activity: 611

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 04:52:15 AM

Good news on the development front, yet a small dip on the charts. Are folks not happy with the open source release of DarkSend?
I'm not dumping any of my dark anytime soon! I would hope that it isn't open sourced until fully vetted.

That's what I am worried about as well. DarkSend must be open sourced for it to be taken seriously, but that should only happen once it is completely vetted and ready. RC2 is not even out yet and open source in 2 weeks??? that seems awfully fast compared to the previous development pace.  Thinking about aloud here... but is Evan maybe trying to beat the Zerocoin whitepaper release?

zerocoin whitepaper is already out, zerocash maybe?

You're right... it was Zerocash. Their whitepaper is scheduled for May 18th.
panicbuythenpanicsell

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 04:53:05 AM

Well we've just had a huge pump and recovered just amazingly well. We're still close to 3x the value we had before this pump with a peak around 4.2x the value before the pump. DarkSend hasn't been open sourced yet though.

Here's a little graph to help you understand how Darkcoin price works for people who follow development versus people who only notice darkcoin when they are done with their pump and dump shitcoins.

https://i.imgur.com/haoLKyX.png

Yep. It's pretty funny how many people out there lack the vision to see longer than a day or a week. They run around like a mob of chickens with their heads cut off, throwing their money in random directions with the faint hope they will become rich. They have the foresight of moles and the attention span of goldfish. They don't care about coins with legitimate futures, unless of course they heard about it in trollbox, in which case they buy at the top and bang their heads on desks when the dump truck buries them in shit.

This was me. I paid the price for my lessons. I'm done banging my head though. I've actually written a whole file with all the lessons I've learned. I will be breakeven around 0.0037 in Darkcoin, or 0.0041 if you count a gain I made before the loss. Those prices should be reached again in the next few months. Hopefully sooner.

In the meantime I enjoy reading this thread and all the activity.

Let's hope I will be one of the smarter ones next time around. Smiley
TanteStefana

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

The Future Of Work

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 04:54:36 AM

how secure is the 1000DRK that is sent to the daemon to become a masternode? Is it based on the encryption/password placed on your DRK wallet? If so, would DDOS protection even mitigate the risk of losing the 1000DRK, or does it just prevent downtime?

Mostly it is your passphrase that protects you.  Problem is, your ip address is kind of advertised and anyone interested in thievery will know there are 1000 dark in that wallet.  However, if the coin are in a wallet on another machine, that doesn't advertise it's IP address, it could be safer, however, only if you can have the wallet locked, IMO.  Im not sure if you can keep your wallet locked at the moment.

DDOS just blocks your wallet from participating.  What we have to worry most about is if a VM can be infiltrated via another person's server running on the same hardware??  Or if you were sloppy enough to get malware on your machine??

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
The Future of Work. Decentralized.
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
Simcom

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 05:06:05 AM

Im wanting to create a master node, i have experience in linux and work in IT, so should be pretty straightforward.
What i want to know is how many DRK do i expect per day with a master node at present?
From what i understand, the more masternodes that are running, the smaller the payout?

Masternode payments haven't gone into effect yet, they go into effect with RC2 which is not yet live - probably in the next week or so RC2 will be live.  Masternodes will get 10% of mining output, this equals about 900-950 coins per day, divided by the current number of masternodes.  Currently there are only 41 masternodes on the network (http://drk.poolhash.org/darksend.html), but I expect this number will climb rapidly once masternode payments go into effect.  So at the current level of 41 masternodes each node would be pulling in 23 coins per day.  Pretty damn good money actually. My guess is that in 2-3 weeks there will be 100-200 masternodes, so payments would be ~5 coins per day about.  Hope that helps. Smiley
I was under the impression that only the masternode chosen received the 10% reward, not all of them.

Yep, but mathematically it is the exact same if you are calculating profitability, plus or minus a little luck from day to day.
Simcom

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 05:11:09 AM

Well we've just had a huge pump and recovered just amazingly well. We're still close to 3x the value we had before this pump with a peak around 4.2x the value before the pump. DarkSend hasn't been open sourced yet though.

Here's a little graph to help you understand how Darkcoin price works for people who follow development versus people who only notice darkcoin when they are done with their pump and dump shitcoins.

Post to reddit.com/r/drkcoin

you deserve some karma  Grin
Simcom

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 05:12:37 AM

how secure is the 1000DRK that is sent to the daemon to become a masternode? Is it based on the encryption/password placed on your DRK wallet? If so, would DDOS protection even mitigate the risk of losing the 1000DRK, or does it just prevent downtime?

Apparently there is a way to not keep the coins on the node itself, so they could actually be in cold storage after you set the node up initially.
tungfa
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1023

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 05:20:36 AM

hahaaa
well put, specially the part with the 2 year old ….>>
mannie

Activity: 168

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 06:08:14 AM

Expect news to start filtering through next week about how Australia plans to tax cryptocurrencies. If all goes well all you Yanks can move over here.

http://newsbtc.com/2014/04/30/australian-tax-office-preparing-bitcoin-tax-guidance/
Wh1teKn1ght

Activity: 339
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 06:13:07 AM

I might have been 7 years ago when I still lived in Gentoo, but since I decided to use my computer instead of babysit it all the damn time, I'm a bit rusty...

I haven't dedicated the time to reading up on it since I haven't dedicated the time to hardening my VM, which has to be done first... Do point me to the FM so that I might RTFM?

Ok, I have verified it works.

Start darkcoind on remote machine.
On your local machine specify the IP at launch with ./darkcoind -masternodeaddr=YOUR_SERVER_IP
Unlock your local machine wallet with your passphrase.
On your local machine, ./darkcoind masternode start

Slickness indeed.

darkcoin.conf on both machines (stolen from chaeplin's thread, thanks buddy)
addnode=23.23.186.131
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
maxconnections=256
masternode=1

There's not much to it really! On your server lock down ports except for 9999, disable root, make ssh accept connections from your IP only, etc, etc. I recommend chaeplin's guide on DarkcoinTalk, he does a good job. Then, just follow that sequence above. You can take your local machine's wallet down and store it offline after you start the master node. Mine has been running for three days with this configuration and my wallet was only online for maybe two minutes.

this is great info! Are there any VPS hosting companies you'd recommend checking out? I see GoDaddy offers it but at $30/month. I saw someone mention that you can get a VPS server for as low as $5/month...

Also, all the instructions I've seen so far refer to Linux/Unix server. Can the masternode be setup on a Windows server instead?
drkman

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 06:27:53 AM

Come help test RC2, we have pool support now. We could use some GPUs and CPUs.
- We need some masternodes
- We need all pool operators must test the new patch for stratum
If all goes well we fork, release RC3 and opensource on May 14th. Sound good?
https://darkcointalk.org/threads/rc2-testing-with-pool-support.353/
Other than great initial publicity, isn't best not to let competitors use your technology until atleast the coin is more mature and mainstream like maybe open source it once Darkcoin hits 5,000 avg difficulty?  There's good arguements on both sides here so maybe opening it up immediately is best.  My gut tells me to be wary of rushing out the open source part though.
Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 06:31:09 AM

Vote for DRK https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=590477.msg6476217#msg6476217

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
chompyZ

Activity: 291

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 06:36:50 AM

It seems to me that the next 2-3 weeks are going to be 'Anonymous weeks', with everyone coming out with their announcements and products - DarkWallet, Zerocash, Zerocoin to name a few.

From a marketing perspective, this is an awesome opportunity for us.
If Darkcoin is released in time (as Evan stated May 14th), we can ride this upcoming media wave.
If we are not out in time, or remain closed-source at the time, we will not be seen as a legitimate and serious contender and will be left out from these articles and reports.
If that happens, we will remain out of the general-public's perception as to who actually provides an anonymity solution. To get back into the public's perception will become much harder.

Normally, I would agree with people's view that we need to be cautious and play it safe, but not this time. I agree with Evan that we need to go out and lead the heard RIGHT AWAY.

So why am I suddenly less afraid about security issues-
I am not a security expert and this is imho, but I differentiate between 2 items:

a) hacking - I see the potential for hacking darkcoin and/or darksend and/or supernodes as very low. darkcoin is running for several months now; darksend is a protocol, and supernodes will be able to remain in cold storage. Not too much risk at any junction.

b) compromising anonymity - I see the potential of this threat as moderate (not by the Average Joe, but by serious institutions) via timing attack or some other means to 'estimate' who sent who at some degree of confidence (even if it low confidence). Yet I'm sure over time Evan will come-up with better and better ways to make Darksend even more anonymous than it will be in version 1.0

My conclusion - May 14th here we come. It's time to rock!!!

* EDIT- other coins will not clone darksend overnight, and by the time they do we will be moving even further to version 2.0, services through supernodes and other developments.
IMHO our greatest advantage over other shitcoins is that ALL people here understand the difference between innovation and crap (otherwise they would be in some shitcoin rather than here) and we are not afraid to fork as much as needed to get more innovation out. We are here to revolutionize, not pump-n-dump.
anonymousxx1503

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 06:41:12 AM

this is great info! Are there any VPS hosting companies you'd recommend checking out? I see GoDaddy offers it but at $30/month. I saw someone mention that you can get a VPS server for as low as $5/month...

Also, all the instructions I've seen so far refer to Linux/Unix server. Can the masternode be setup on a Windows server instead?

Linux only I believe and the best bang for your buck is most likely a Digital Ocean / Linode VPS ? 5$ A month on DO.

darkproton

Activity: 658

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 07:48:17 AM

Linux only I believe and the best bang for your buck is most likely a Digital Ocean / Linode VPS ? 5$ A month on DO.
Amazon is free. AWS service. Kinda scary at first but you'll come to love it
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 08:19:36 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=579976.msg6335710#msg6335710
TanteStefana

Activity: 280

The Future Of Work

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 08:26:07 AM

On your local machine specify the IP at launch with -masternodeaddr=YOUR_SERVER_IP

Slickness indeed.

darkcoin.conf (stolen from chaeplin's thread, thanks buddy)
addnode=23.23.186.131
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
maxconnections=256
masternode=1

Could someone kindly help me?  I can't seem to get this to work.

I started my server darkcoind wallet

I started my local darkcoind with the command:
./darkcoind -masternodeaddr=YOUR_SERVER_IP
I unlocked my wallet

I then tried to start my server with ./darkcoind masternode start passphrase

I get "not capable masternode"

I tried starting my local darkcoind as a masternode, unlocking the wallet, then went back to my server and still could not start the masternode.

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?  Thanks Smiley

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
The Future of Work. Decentralized.
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
thelonecrouton
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 08:49:06 AM

On your local machine specify the IP at launch with -masternodeaddr=YOUR_SERVER_IP

Slickness indeed.

darkcoin.conf (stolen from chaeplin's thread, thanks buddy)
addnode=23.23.186.131
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
maxconnections=256
masternode=1

Could someone kindly help me?  I can't seem to get this to work.

I started my server darkcoind wallet

I started my local darkcoind with the command:
./darkcoind -masternodeaddr=YOUR_SERVER_IP
I unlocked my wallet

I then tried to start my server with ./darkcoind masternode start passphrase

I get "not capable masternode"

I tried starting my local darkcoind as a masternode, unlocking the wallet, then went back to my server and still could not start the masternode.

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?  Thanks Smiley

I am sure I have read somewhere that you need the passphrase in ""s, eg. ./darkcoind masternode start "passphrase"   -   but I am old and my memory sometimes fails me.

I'll be having my 1st go at a masternode later today, hours of baffled incomprehension to look forward to!  Tongue
chaeplin

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 08:59:25 AM

some reference changed

http://drk.poolhash.org/poolhash.html

1) block found percent :  last 100 blocks(4.1 hours) to last 24 hours(almost 576 blocks)
2) poolhash percent : 1 hour avg to 30 minutes avg
3) Recent blocks : 2 hours to 3 hours
4) pool hashrate : 2 minutes interval to 2 minutes interval + 30 minutes avg

previous graph is here http://drk.poolhash.org/darkhash.html
Pages: « 1 ... 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 [868] 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: