Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:02:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 [835] 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722522 times)
Donho

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 11:18:43 PM

Ok, I have verified it works.

Start darkcoind on remote machine.
On your local machine specify the IP at launch with -masternodeaddr=YOUR_SERVER_IP
Unlock your local machine wallet with your passphrase.
On your local machine, ./darkcoind masternode start

Slickness indeed.

So you have to keep it running on another machine, presumably your home machine, with the wallet unlocked?  

You don't have to keep your local machine's wallet unlocked permanently, or even open. Once the remote machine master node starts you can close the local machine's wallet and hide it away for safe keeping.

Ok, and nobody can sell those coins, or withdraw?  They system will know?

It's no different than them just sitting there in your open qt wallet. If you have an encrypted Darkcoin wallet it must be unencrypted for a short time while you are starting the master node. All coins remain on the local machine's wallet and do not move. Your local machine has to get the private keys, sign a message with them, send it to the server, and then have the server broadcast it proving you own them in order to start a masternode, which is why it must be unencrypted (btw I'm guessing that's what he's doing). If Evan didn't do this, a single 1000 DRK wallet could be copied to infinite machines to run master nodes.

I'd love for Evan to set this up so once the machine that doesn't hold the wallet gets verified we could shut down the wallet machine and have the code check the block chain to see if the coins have moved from that account. It would be great to have your wallet in cold storage and still be running a master.

+1
I think this is the way to go and it should be possible!
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thelonecrouton
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 11:18:52 PM

Ok, I have verified it works.

Start darkcoind on remote machine.
On your local machine specify the IP at launch with -masternodeaddr=YOUR_SERVER_IP
Unlock your local machine wallet with your passphrase.
On your local machine, ./darkcoind masternode start

Slickness indeed.

So you have to keep it running on another machine, presumably your home machine, with the wallet unlocked?  

You don't have to keep your local machine's wallet unlocked permanently, or even open. Once the remote machine master node starts you can close the local machine's wallet and hide it away for safe keeping.

Ok, and nobody can sell those coins, or withdraw?  They system will know?

It's no different than them just sitting there in your open qt wallet. If you have an encrypted Darkcoin wallet it must be unencrypted for a short time while you are starting the master node. All coins remain on the local machine's wallet and do not move. Your local machine has to get the private keys, sign a message with them, send it to the server, and then have the server broadcast it proving you own them in order to start a masternode, which is why it must be unencrypted (btw I'm guessing that's what he's doing). If Evan didn't do this, a single 1000 DRK wallet could be copied to infinite machines to run master nodes.

I'd love for Evan to set this up so once the machine that doesn't hold the wallet gets verified we could shut down the wallet machine and have the code check the block chain to see if the coins have moved from that account. It would be great to have your wallet in cold storage and still be running a master.

+1, mothernode can read the blockchain, see the DRK in the right place, so should be fine this way?
camosoul

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2014, 11:29:02 PM

Nope, they don't need to communicate. The masternode with the money just needs to sign a message with it. That node broadcasts it to the whole network. After than the secondary masternode is good to go.

Could you disconnect the masternode with the money from the network and even send it to cold storage once the secondary masternode is in the network?

that's the whole point of it Cheesy

Yeah, I basically wanted an official confirmation Tongue

Nope, both need to be online. At least for now.

I'm still not understanding the need for the 1000DRK if it isn't getting mixed. Nothing more than a PoS?

It's there as a deterrent.  If anyone could put up as many masternodes as they like, then someone could simply put up more than 50%  of them, and then they'd be in position to record what is going on, and thereby see where coins are going from where.  With the cost of masternodes, it is expensive to build more than 50% of the network, and as the price of darkcoin goes up, it becomes ridiculously expensive.  We only need so many masternodes to secure the decentralized network, after that, more masternodes are a drag on the system, so we hope for a balance.

So yes, it's effectively a type of POS while also providing work.

Kind of a Proof of Stake and Proof of Service rolled together... Better than a pure Proof of Stake, which really serves no purpose at all... It makes Proof of Stake into something more, which actually has a use. You guys are fucking geniuses.

Ah, The elegance of tying so many things together... PoS payout for providing a service to the network, also limits masternodes, creates a coin with PoS and PoW (PoS that actually requires that you do something for the network, not just hold the stuff) in it, while facilitating the anonymity function, and we're right back to the beginning of the loop... Beautiful. It's the kind of paradoxical working ruleset that makes all cryptos function, but this is the only CryptoCoin that has this one. Could also be extensible to shortchaining so clients don't need the whole blockchain, and masternodes can be used as blockchain repositories... Centralized without being centralized, and those who run the masternode get paid for providing that service proportional to the job just like the darksend they already do... Fucking perfect.

.OROCOIN.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
polzki

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 12:07:49 AM

Welcome DarkCoin holders to talk about DRK & Crypto while listening to good EDM & Ambient.

Why stay in booring IRC when you can
party with us !

http://plug.dj/darkcoin-party/

-------------------------------------------------------------------
AngusCanine
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

To weird to live To rare to die

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2014, 12:14:47 AM

Anybody have teamviewer willing to help me get my oldwallet n sync with new wallet I have over 200 coins in wallet stuck I tried to send my coins from old to new but the wallet never synced?
this small venture is paid of course, reasonable offers please

If you tell us what you've done so far someone can probably help you for free...  Smiley
well ive downloaded the new wallet just now, doesn't show the darkcoin that was in the old xcoin wallet. About a month ago I tried to send my darkcoin from my old xcoin wallet into the new darkcoin wallet that I downloaded at the time, after the new wallet synced and didn't show the coin in it. Ive asked a few times here on this thread and had gotten the same answer to find the appdata file which ive finally found today.(LOL) Now I don't remember what to do with it, as well as not knowing which appdata darkcoin file this is, the old or the new?
fearcoka
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 12:29:44 AM

anyone else cant login cryptsy?

Just Nao Tomori and Bitcoin ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
anonymousxx1503

Activity: 532

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 12:30:39 AM

Nope, they don't need to communicate. The masternode with the money just needs to sign a message with it. That node broadcasts it to the whole network. After than the secondary masternode is good to go.

Could you disconnect the masternode with the money from the network and even send it to cold storage once the secondary masternode is in the network?

I'm still not understanding the need for the 1000DRK if it isn't getting mixed. Nothing more than a PoS?

It's there as a deterrent.  If anyone could put up as many masternodes as they like, then someone could simply put up more than 50%  of them, and then they'd be in position to record what is going on, and thereby see where coins are going from where.  With the cost of masternodes, it is expensive to build more than 50% of the network, and as the price of darkcoin goes up, it becomes ridiculously expensive.  We only need so many masternodes to secure the decentralized network, after that, more masternodes are a drag on the system, so we hope for a balance.

So yes, it's effectively a type of POS while also providing work.

Kind of a Proof of Stake and Proof of Service rolled together... Better than a pure Proof of Stake, which really serves no purpose at all... It makes Proof of Stake into something more, which actually has a use. You guys are fucking geniuses.

Ah, The elegance of tying so many things together... PoS payout for providing a service to the network, also limits masternodes, creates a coin with PoS and PoW (PoS that actually requires that you do something for the network, not just hold the stuff) in it, while facilitating the anonymity function, and we're right back to the beginning of the loop... Beautiful. It's the kind of paradoxical working ruleset that makes all cryptos function, but this is the only CryptoCoin that has this one. Could also be extensible to shortchaining so clients don't need the whole blockchain, and masternodes can be used as blockchain repositories... Centralized without being centralized, and those who run the masternode get paid for providing that service proportional to the job just like the darksend they already do... Fucking perfect.

I love this post Camosoul - I featured it on @DarkcoinNews - https://twitter.com/darkcoinnews/statuses/460576278639546368

I'd like to thank eduffield and the other developers for this critically important evolution in virtual currency. DarkCoin is what bitcoin should have been. Some might call it "Bitcoin 2.0" but would do better by saying: "DarkCoin is digital cash." - Child Harold - February 28, 2014
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg5424980#msg5424980
anonymousxx1503

Activity: 532

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 12:31:38 AM

clear your cookies, Big Vern tweeted about it earlier.

I'd like to thank eduffield and the other developers for this critically important evolution in virtual currency. DarkCoin is what bitcoin should have been. Some might call it "Bitcoin 2.0" but would do better by saying: "DarkCoin is digital cash." - Child Harold - February 28, 2014
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg5424980#msg5424980
thelonecrouton
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 12:39:13 AM

Anybody have teamviewer willing to help me get my oldwallet n sync with new wallet I have over 200 coins in wallet stuck I tried to send my coins from old to new but the wallet never synced?

If you tell us what you've done so far someone can probably help you for free...  Smiley
well ive downloaded the new wallet just now, doesn't show the darkcoin that was in the old xcoin wallet. About a month ago I tried to send my darkcoin from my old xcoin wallet into the new darkcoin wallet that I downloaded at the time, after the new wallet synced and didn't show the coin in it. Ive asked a few times here on this thread and had gotten the same answer to find the appdata file which ive finally found today.(LOL) Now I don't remember what to do with it, as well as not knowing which appdata darkcoin file this is, the old or the new?

Can you see your balance in the blockchain if you enter either address?

http://chainz.cryptoid.info/drk/
poornamelessme

Activity: 1204
Merit: 509

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 12:46:53 AM

I have some more wallet questions. Apologies in advance if this is very newbie-ish, as I'm used to just downloading a wallet, unzipping... and that's it.

I first tried the mac wallet, but it can't find the blocksource. I tried it a second time after re-installing, and it then kept crashing on startup for me.

So I am trying the win wallet now. I tried to find http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoinqt.
exe listed on the front page pdf, but it leads nowhere.

So instead just downloaded what is on the 1st page of the coin's website, which seems to at least be starting to sync properly. It's 9.1.2 beta wallet. So it'll be fine if I just use this one, and is it an old one, or newer version? Is this the wallet I should be using?

If I want to get coins from an ancient wallet moved over, I just need to replace the dat from my backup I previously made, right? And with the wallet closed, I assume.
atavacron

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 12:49:07 AM

clear your cookies, Big Vern tweeted about it earlier.

Worked for me.  Thanks.

fearcoka
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 12:51:06 AM

thelonecrouton
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 12:51:43 AM

I have some more wallet questions. Apologies in advance if this is very newbie-ish, as I'm used to just downloading a wallet, unzipping... and that's it.

I first tried the mac wallet, but it can't find the blocksource. I tried it a second time after re-installing, and it then kept crashing on startup for me.

So I am trying the win wallet now. I tried to find http://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/rc/darkcoinqt.
exe listed on the front page pdf, but it leads nowhere.

So instead just downloaded what is on the 1st page of the coin's website, which seems to at least be starting to sync properly. It's 9.1.2 beta wallet. So it'll be fine if I just use this one, and is it an old one, or newer version? Is this the wallet I should be using?

If I want to get coins from an ancient wallet moved over, I just need to replace the dat from my backup I previously made, right? And with the wallet closed, I assume.

Yes that should be fine mate.

Bit of wallet version confusion at the moment as DarkSend is in testing, but if the 9.1.2 version is syncing it should work OK.
thelonecrouton
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 12:53:25 AM

The market does need some liquidity, it's all good.
fearcoka
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 12:57:12 AM

lol
well played.

ErrorId

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 01:03:22 AM

I don't get how the 2 machine masternode setup is more secure. If someone can break into either, your setup is toast. And the wallet's security is independent of the machines hosting it -- it relies on the strength of your password & the encryption algorithm. I can't see how the 2 machine configuration helps at all.

Because your master node IP is static, broadcast to the network, and an attacker knows 1000 DRK is on it. Your local machine IP is not listed on the master node list with the 2 machine setup and there are no coins on the server that's running the master node. Double win.

If we could get a port of Armory for Darkcoin you could theoretically do all this with the coins in cold storage. Triple win.

Masternode has to communicate with the node holding the coins, to verify the 1000 DRK are there. So if the masternode can do that, so can an attacker who has compromised the masternode. From there, they just need to break into the secondary node holding the wallet, which will presumably have no better security than the one they already broke into.

I very much doubt the remote master node knows the private keys, because as you have pointed out, it would be of no advantage.

The way I'm thinking about this is that an attacker follows this path:

Get static IP of masternode --> compromise masternode --> figure out IP of secondary node by [magic] --> compromise secondary node

The [magic] part I'm assuming must be possible because the masternode must at some point communicate with the secondary node. But maybe there's some reason why this is infeasible?

So if I read this correctly what Evan is saying is that once the machine that doesn't hold the 1k drk get's approved by the one with the 1k drk it's a master node and the machine that holds the dark is no longer required allowing you to backup your wallet and put it away for safe keeping. Am I right?

But in that case I'm confused about how the collateral will work. Where will the .1 drk fee for bad actors come from? Or are we way past that point?
AngusCanine
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

To weird to live To rare to die

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2014, 01:08:22 AM

If you tell us what you've done so far someone can probably help you for free...  Smiley

No nothing for either(old xcoin wallet stuck at 10 weeks behind) can only see what was received from pools when I was mining with cpu on old wallet.

coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 01:12:30 AM

I don't get how the 2 machine masternode setup is more secure. If someone can break into either, your setup is toast. And the wallet's security is independent of the machines hosting it -- it relies on the strength of your password & the encryption algorithm. I can't see how the 2 machine configuration helps at all.

Because your master node IP is static, broadcast to the network, and an attacker knows 1000 DRK is on it. Your local machine IP is not listed on the master node list with the 2 machine setup and there are no coins on the server that's running the master node. Double win.

If we could get a port of Armory for Darkcoin you could theoretically do all this with the coins in cold storage. Triple win.

Masternode has to communicate with the node holding the coins, to verify the 1000 DRK are there. So if the masternode can do that, so can an attacker who has compromised the masternode. From there, they just need to break into the secondary node holding the wallet, which will presumably have no better security than the one they already broke into.

I very much doubt the remote master node knows the private keys, because as you have pointed out, it would be of no advantage.

The way I'm thinking about this is that an attacker follows this path:

Get static IP of masternode --> compromise masternode --> figure out IP of secondary node by [magic] --> compromise secondary node

The [magic] part I'm assuming must be possible because the masternode must at some point communicate with the secondary node. But maybe there's some reason why this is infeasible?

So if I read this correctly what Evan is saying is that once the machine that doesn't hold the 1k drk get's approved by the one with the 1k drk it's a master node and the machine that holds the dark is no longer required allowing you to backup your wallet and put it away for safe keeping. Am I right?

But in that case I'm confused about how the collateral will work. Where will the .1 drk fee for bad actors come from? Or are we way past that point?

thelonecrouton
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 01:16:42 AM

If you tell us what you've done so far someone can probably help you for free...  Smiley

No nothing for either(old xcoin wallet stuck at 10 weeks behind) can only see what was received from pools when I was mining with cpu on old wallet.

Were they in the old address though? Does it (the blockchain explorer) show them leaving for somewhere?
stealth923
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 01:23:38 AM

Apologies if this has been answered before.

If I have 3000 Dark and want to create 3 masternodes, Do I need to put 1000 Dark into 3 separate wallets on 3 separate servers.

Or can I have all 3000 dark sitting in 1 wallet on a secured server and I will get 3 tickets/chances to allow me to be selected as a masternode during the random selection process?

Thanks!!!
Pages: « 1 ... 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 [835] 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: