Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 05:21:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 3247 3248 3249 3250 3251 3252 3253 3254 3255 3256 3257 3258 3259 3260 3261 3262 3263 3264 3265 3266 3267 3268 3269 3270 3271 3272 3273 3274 3275 3276 3277 3278 3279 3280 3281 3282 3283 3284 3285 3286 3287 3288 3289 3290 3291 3292 3293 3294 3295 3296 [3297] 3298 3299 3300 3301 3302 3303 3304 3305 3306 3307 3308 3309 3310 3311 3312 3313 3314 3315 3316 3317 3318 3319 3320 3321 3322 3323 3324 3325 3326 3327 3328 3329 3330 3331 3332 3333 3334 3335 3336 3337 3338 3339 3340 3341 3342 3343 3344 3345 3346 3347 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722716 times)
TaoOfSaatoshi
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1014

Dash Nation Founder | CATV Host

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 05:25:03 AM

stuff totally unrelated to what the person quoting it is about to say
I've been reading your and Tao's guides over and over again for days... I have not figured out even one damn thing for setting up a masternode. I cannot understand even one sentence from either of your guides, and I've been using Linux since before there was Gentoo...

I'm glad it helps some people get nodes up, but it hasn't spread any understanding, and I won't be running any MNs blindly without an explanation. I do not just follow steps. Ever. Period. Not a snowball's chance in hell.

Looking forward to 16.10.1 and a masternode.conf explanation...

You read my guide? I didn't know you were a dummy... Grin

TaoOfSaatoshi
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 05:27:22 AM

I've been reading your and Tao's guides over and over again for days... I have not figured out even one damn thing for setting up a masternode. I cannot understand even one sentence from either of your guides, and I've been using Linux since before there was Gentoo...

I'm glad it helps some people get nodes up, but it hasn't spread any understanding, and I won't be running any MNs blindly without an explanation. I do not just follow steps. Ever. Period. Not a snowball's chance in hell.

Camo, it's not so hard. I've never used Linux before. I didn't understand even commands Wink but I have succeed to start my MNs with a WeirdDog's guide and WinSCP
https://darkcointalk.org/threads/complete-masternode-guide-windows-local-linux-remote-vultr.1367/

I have made it even more easy...hopefully it will lead to more MNs sprouting up now, and more people buying DRKs! Good feedback on Twitter so far, getting some bites....

stealth923
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 05:29:43 AM

Invest in the dev Smiley

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/anoncoin-price-crashes-developer-announces-zerocoin-delay/
g4q34g4qg47ww

Activity: 478
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 05:32:12 AM

If you think camo doesn't know how to run a masternode....

It appears there is someone that is pulling all the masternodes from the wallet and running scripts on them to hack in.
Is this a surprise?

And in this case they was able to gain access via SSH, so it had nothing to do with problems in the wallet/daemon/masternode itself.
As suspected.

• The firewall was not running, so all ports were open
  • Root access via SSH was allowed
  • OpenSSL v1.0.1f was installed on the server
  • The password to unlock the wallet was still in bash history command
  • The root password was less than 8 characters
As suspected.

My recommendations:
  • DO NOT allow root ssh access
  • Only open port 9999 in your firewall to the world
  • Only open port 22 (SSH) to a trusted ip
  • Setup SSH to use certificates for logging in
  • Do not run any application on the server that you dont have to
  • Encrypt you wallet
  • Clear your bash history

All common sense... It worries me that a rote list is being handed out. These are things a person should know if they're going to support the network...

If a person doesn't know this much already, they have no business running any server on the internet, much less a masternode. Following some rote guide line by line will only give them a false sense of security and no ability to handle the future.

Frankly, I'd prefer all ports but 9999 and TOR Listen be secured by port knocking. Re-direct all externally accessible services through TOR so that they only listen to localhost and no known .onion exists for those services to anyone but yourself. Since TOR uses renzdezvous points, the TOR port being open grants them access to none of the services passing through it, and no idea what the traffic is, where it goes, what it's for, etc... They can't protscan a port that doesn't exist. SOCKS5 stream for the win. Using TOR for this has massive advantages completely removed from it's anonymity/encryption/obfuscation functions.

I re-route all my SSH through TOR. SSHD doesn't even listen to the NIC, localhost only. Also, the entire SSHD service is port knocked to trigger "service sshd start" on top of not even listening to the NIC... Run knock sequence then ssh through socat .onion... Nobody even knows it's there... Nobody knows the address but me. Logs can't even give me away since I'm coming in through tor... If only DPR had used his head... ;-)

his wallet address is XhGwaKJPMdqEyMU85QBReNNMzVGKDW2EPz

He learned the HARDWAY how not to setup your masternode. I will be putting together a list of things to check and an ISO and AMI for people to use with MOST of the issue addressed, you will still be responsible for checking any think I missed and verify it works for your setup.

His lose WILL help everyone else by showing what you MUST setup so please help him where you can. I will pull some together myself to send.

Pain is an excellent teacher. A smart man learns from his mistakes. A wise man learns from the mistakes of others. If you don't know what you're doing; don't!

It's sad and all, but I'm not sending him any welfare. I want him to learn. Let it hurt... Call me a meany poopie face if you want, but this was super extreme stupid. No excuse at all. If you don't know what youo're doing; don't. There is no guide that can teach you common sense. You MUST understand. There is no substitute.
bertlebbert

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 05:37:24 AM

MNs keep getting disconnected, missing payments, wrong payments...
Could this be caused by someone trying another exploit?
camosoul

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 06:35:05 AM

You read my guide? I didn't know you were a dummy... Grin
Yup. Can't understand a word of it...

It pointed me to vultr, which was easier to manage and $1 cheaper than my usual place. So that helped. The rest is total gibberish, no clue what the hell is going on with any of it.

I'm getting the feeling that these guides make it about 100 times harder than it really is. It's like listening to my mom describe her windows computer problems. She can talk for 45 minutes to say something that could be a 2 word sentence...

Not trying to offend. Clearly some people get use of these guides. I find them incomprehensible. Iv'e spent days re-reading them over and over again. I've learned absolutely nothing. I'll probably just ignore them and go my own way, and then write a 5 sentence guide of my own... ;-)

.OROCOIN.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
camosoul

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 06:51:49 AM

Camo, it's not so hard. I've never used Linux before. I didn't understand even commands Wink but I have succeed to start my MNs with a WeirdDog's guide and WinSCP
https://darkcointalk.org/threads/complete-masternode-guide-windows-local-linux-remote-vultr.1367/
I might give this one a try tomorrow. I wish I could find one that just gets to the point and explains it... Tante's has been the most useful, so far, but I'm just going to have to set aside all other projects and sift them for the facts and remove all the jibber jabber. So much blah blah blah, zero explanation, occasional blind "copy this command" with nothing at all about why or what it does... I get the feeling the people writing the guides don't understand it themselves, which is why there is no explanation. No hostility intended, I do feel it's irresponsible to run a web-connected server having no clue how it works... But greed drives people to copy/paste and really all I'm seeing is a very, very verbose copy/paste outline... I don't do that. I understand, then I don't need to know any "steps" at all. I just do it because it makes sense.

One thing that I seem to be learning... It doesn't matter if the "masternode genkey" is run from the local or the remote, so long as the same key is in both .conf files... flare says do it remote, tante says do it local... I still haven't figured out what tao says, it's like his guide is written in Japanese, I almost never have any idea what he's talking about...

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 06:52:36 AM

and then write a 5 sentence guide of my own... ;-)

"Don't be an idiot and you'll be just fine" Cheesy
camosoul

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 06:57:57 AM

Lols, probably. ;-)

It doesn't take but a few sentences read to see that every single guide contradicts every other guide... Trying to figure out what is true and what isn't... Ugh, I just don't have the time.

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 06:59:11 AM

I'm sorry, it's also a bit old now.  GhostPlayer does a great job as I understand it, explaining.  Maybe he should walk ya through it?  I'm just using amazon, so it's super easy to protect, as the iptables are automatic.  Just try to do basic ddos, and that's it.  But I'd do that, why shouldn't you put your coins to work? 

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
bertlebbert

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 07:01:55 AM

Camo

You'll probably find weirdgod and Tao guides to be quite similar. You might find ScioMind's guide helpfull:

https://darkcointalk.org/threads/complete-step-by-step-guides-suitable-for-noobs-and-experienced-users-alike.1609/
camosoul

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 07:03:47 AM

I'm sorry, it's also a bit old now.  GhostPlayer does a great job as I understand it, explaining.  Maybe he should walk ya through it?  I'm just using amazon, so it's super easy to protect, as the iptables are automatic.  Just try to do basic ddos, and that's it.  But I'd do that, why shouldn't you put your coins to work?  
It looks like it will be a very long time, if ever, before I run a masternode. I'm terminating all my vultr machines since I can't do anything with them. No sense in paying for all these instances when they're not doing anything.

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 07:08:32 AM

MNs keep getting disconnected, missing payments, wrong payments...
Could this be caused by someone trying another exploit?

Just ignore it.  It's because the network is waffling between 10.14 and 10.15.  None of it really means anything.  My Masternode was offline according to the MN list thingy and I still got paid.  If you fret, and mess with it, it'll probably only make you less likely to receive a payment.  Right now, we still have one or two rogue pirates, who's technique is corrected in 10.15.  So none of us are getting paid fully again (not too bad though) and soon enforcement for 10.15 will be turned on and we'll be normalized again.

BTW, I'm not sure, but I don't think instant transactions will require a hard fork.  Anyone know for sure?  I think also, since that change will not change the payouts, that we won't have anyone balking at updating (to grab as much as they can while they can) like we do now and last time.  Anyway, the sporks are working out perfectly regardless Cheesy

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 07:13:04 AM

LOL, you mean don't be STUPID and you'll be just fine Wink

Hey Camo, you can also do them for testnet so you don't risk anything.  Play with it, mess it up, rebuild your server over n over, and you risk nothing Cheesy  We have a fountain (just look at the testing thread under tools) so you don't even have to find someone to give you coins Smiley

camosoul

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 07:20:19 AM

Hey Camo, you can also do them for testnet so you don't risk anything.  Play with it, mess it up, rebuild your server over n over, and you risk nothing Cheesy  We have a fountain (just look at the testing thread under tools) so you don't even have to find someone to give you coins Smiley
It's not a matter of risk. I can't understand them. The guides make no sense. Not a single sentence is comprehensible. I can't get past even a few sentences before I'm completely lost and I'm not sure if it's even a structured sentence. I've re-read them all dozens of times and I know nothing more than I did before I heard the word "masternode."

I'm not wasting any more time on it. I've got shit to do.

VULTR instances destroyed. Maybe I'll revisit this when there is some documentation I can read. For now, it's just chaotic and blind copy/paste with no explanations. I don't do that. I've never been able to follow "steps." I seek understanding, and none is provided.

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
bertlebbert

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 07:26:54 AM

Hey Camo, you can also do them for testnet so you don't risk anything.  Play with it, mess it up, rebuild your server over n over, and you risk nothing Cheesy  We have a fountain (just look at the testing thread under tools) so you don't even have to find someone to give you coins Smiley
It's not a matter of risk. I can't understand them. The guides make no sense. Not a single sentence is comprehensible. I've re-read them all dozens of times and I know nothing more than I did before I heard the word "masternode."

VULTR instances destroyed. Maybe I'll revisit this when there is some documentation I can read. For now, it's just chaotic and blind copy/paste with no explanations. I don't do that.
This is a more concise guide:
http://planetcrypton.com/install-darkcoin-daemon
camosoul

www.OroCoin.co

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 07:40:11 AM

It's not a matter of risk. I can't understand them. The guides make no sense. Not a single sentence is comprehensible. I've re-read them all dozens of times and I know nothing more than I did before I heard the word "masternode."

VULTR instances destroyed. Maybe I'll revisit this when there is some documentation I can read. For now, it's just chaotic and blind copy/paste with no explanations. I don't do that.
This is a more concise guide:
http://planetcrypton.com/install-darkcoin-daemon
I'll revisit this when I get some time and a new shipment of patience... I've run out.

A very wise man recently said it like this: "most guides only express that the person who wrote it doesn't understand what they are doing." This party will remain anonymous. ;-)

I just don't have the time to decipher the crazy talk.

.OROCOIN.

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █

█
  █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
  █
TaoOfSaatoshi
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 07:53:16 AM

I might give this one a try tomorrow. I wish I could find one that just gets to the point and explains it... Tante's has been the most useful, so far, but I'm just going to have to set aside all other projects and sift them for the facts and remove all the jibber jabber. So much blah blah blah, zero explanation, occasional blind "copy this command" with nothing at all about why or what it does... I get the feeling the people writing the guides don't understand it themselves, which is why there is no explanation. No hostility intended, I do feel it's irresponsible to run a web-connected server having no clue how it works... But greed drives people to copy/paste and really all I'm seeing is a very, very verbose copy/paste outline... I don't do that. I understand, then I don't need to know any "steps" at all. I just do it because it makes sense.

One thing that I seem to be learning... It doesn't matter if the "masternode genkey" is run from the local or the remote, so long as the same key is in both .conf files... flare says do it remote, tante says do it local... I still haven't figured out what tao says, it's like his guide is written in Japanese, I almost never have any idea what he's talking about...

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I love you, too Camo!

KryptoFoo

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 08:00:21 AM

still no sample darkcoin.conf files for multi-start v16.01? Just need to know the syntax for adding multiple masternodeprivkey
tungfa
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1023

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 08:12:21 AM
Last edit: October 21, 2014, 08:38:53 AM by tungfa

word from flare (the man himself)
Flare: "...patched version of 0.10.15.13, disallowing connections from outdated masternodes - this should keep the masternode in sync with the network."

https://darkcointalk.org/threads/v10-15-onyx-release.2683/page-15#post-26230

Check further down this thread, seems like they have the problems solved over there ....>
Pages: « 1 ... 3247 3248 3249 3250 3251 3252 3253 3254 3255 3256 3257 3258 3259 3260 3261 3262 3263 3264 3265 3266 3267 3268 3269 3270 3271 3272 3273 3274 3275 3276 3277 3278 3279 3280 3281 3282 3283 3284 3285 3286 3287 3288 3289 3290 3291 3292 3293 3294 3295 3296 [3297] 3298 3299 3300 3301 3302 3303 3304 3305 3306 3307 3308 3309 3310 3311 3312 3313 3314 3315 3316 3317 3318 3319 3320 3321 3322 3323 3324 3325 3326 3327 3328 3329 3330 3331 3332 3333 3334 3335 3336 3337 3338 3339 3340 3341 3342 3343 3344 3345 3346 3347 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: