Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:17:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 ... 484 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [NEM] NEM -New Economy Movement - No Envy Movement - Updates+Discussion thread  (Read 661420 times)
erkki12

Activity: 165
Merit: 104

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:57:17 PM

I temporarily took 2Kool4Skewl from NEM stakeholder list as I understand that he does not want to be there. In the first 20 pages of the fundraising, many people do not entirely understand about the scope as well as purpose of NEM so it was easy just to post "interested" there by a mistake. Contrary to what used to be in the first page of the fundraising thread , NEM do offer refund after the announcement of detail development plan (probably in 2 weeks or so) so if someone does not feel they fit in with NEM community, they can leave voluntarily.

As written in ournem.com, at this stage NEM is first of all a community of which people share a certain ideas and goals and we going to build NEM/ Nemcoin as our decentralized payment platform together as we go along. I see no reason to keep people that are unhappy with NEM and this approach. There are no coins to share yet so it is not like we are taking anything from anyone. If 2Kool4Skewl wants to join back in, just say so before I make the unified stakeholder list and I will add him in.  

The majority of NEM funding comes from Bitcoin and only about 30% of NEM stakeholders appear in NXT discussion before (see an excellent statistics by newcn) so I see NXT and NEM having quite a different demographics, also different technology and purposes. While I think there is a certain aspect of competition between the two blockchain, we can learn from each others as well. Some are developers of both NXT and NEM and they work across the aisle and I think that is a good thing. It will help advancing experiments and innovations in more directions. Compared to Bitcoin and other POW coins, NXT and NEM have more similarity and we can join force to emphasize our strength in a green economical network and highlight the problems with the computational arm-races used by Bitcoin and other POW coins. Let's focus on cooperation and innovation instead of envy and hatred as that are also  NEM's core concepts and principles.

BTW, we appreciate active participants much more than passive ones/ investors. So contact me if you want to help in any way. Thanks.

Well said. I totally agree. As for your appreciation for active members, I am reading this Forum for many months now, butt never became a member because as a coffee shop owner I have no programming skills and no designer skills. Further I prefer to read what members with knowledge of crypto currency have to tell then to add my own nonsense. I'm into Btc and people can actually pay with Btc in my shop. I'll be the first to accept NEM, because I really like the principles of this new direction you guys are taking this.

That is spectacular! It's one thing having an innovate crypto, but having places to spend it and use it as an actual currency will solidify and strengthen it's position in the crypto world. It's just awesome people like you are already considering accepting NEM as payment barely a month after it's announcement. It's giving me high hopes for NEM's future. Kudos!

If you can proof that you paid for your petrol with NEM, your second cup of coffee is for free. (I live in South Africa haha). After all its an alternative economic system we are working on not a ponzi scheme.

Exactly! We all should keep in mind that the only thing that will bring currency real-life value is the possibility to buy things with it. Money is after all a medium designed to help us change one thing to another.

Once the coin gets launched it should be one of the highest priorities to get it used Smiley!
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
chinnuperiya

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 07:05:50 PM

Exactly! We all should keep in mind that the only thing that will bring currency real-life value is the possibility to buy things with it. Money is after all a medium designed to help us change one thing to another.

Once the coin gets launched it should be one of the highest priorities to get it used Smiley!

+1
ashapasa

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 07:14:08 PM

I might do some advertising on the btc-e trollbox. Does anyone know of any legit chatbots? I think I could get some people in here if we promises a small Nem giveaway for people joining up.

thats a great idea, why did I not think about that before Grin . Its always very active and the right target audience. I will join you to. NEM to the moon Grin
patmast3r

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 07:17:56 PM

I think we should brainstorm about how to get a FIAT <-> NEM service going.
Any ideas ?

PayPal shuts you down before you can say "new econom... aaaan your shut down.

If you wan't to work with wire transfer you have to go through tons of legal issues.

Physically sending the money takes way to long.

erkki12

Activity: 165
Merit: 104

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 07:22:21 PM

Any ideas ?

If you wan't to work with wire transfer you have to go through tons of legal issues.

No matter what it will be hard, but if Graviton gets his exchange running that could be one direction that possibly could make it happen.. Also by promoting it to other exchanges could be possible.

Otherwise someone will have a lot of work ahead :p
Spider

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 07:23:20 PM

Any ideas ?

We can start with
 FIAT <--> BTC <--> NEM

forum.nem.io
patmast3r

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 07:24:43 PM

Any ideas ?

We can start with
 FIAT <-- BTC --> NEM

Yeah, well that's the basics...I sure hope will get that going but going beyond that would be a huge deal.
I wonder if we can get some exchange to treat NEM just like bitcoin....

Mrrr

Activity: 617
Merit: 528

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 07:33:17 PM

Any ideas ?

I'm Prince George Ngangi and I've been successfully running a Western Union based business operation from an internet cafe in Abuja, Nigeria. I'd be more than willing to help you set this up.

burp...
Xpedite

Activity: 258

DRAMA: Dumb Retards Asking More Attention

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 07:33:23 PM

Any ideas ?

It took me a while to write this post so sorry if I am repeating someone...

I don't think a FIAT <-> NEM gateway is the most important thing. Once there is an exchange it's easy to use a FIAT <-> BTC gateway to buy BTC and then convert them to NEM.

On the other hand, it is my opinion that we should try to establish something like bitpay to attract merchants.
Once the currency is widely adopted by merchants someone will certainly set up a FIAT gateway IMO. But then again how can you attract merchants  Huh Huh

How complicated would it be to set up an api for magento opencart etc. and enable a weekly/monthly payout in FIAT for merchants?
Are there any alternatives like bitpay for altcoins?
Elena82

Activity: 228

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 07:38:46 PM

Any ideas ?

I can not say about other countries, but Russia is good used system: https://perfectmoney.is  I can in 10 minutes to get her money in cash. I believe that you must use it in conjunction with other.
Xpedite

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 07:39:20 PM

With the large community of NEM it should not be difficult to convince some exchanges to adopt NEM  Smiley
I may be wrong however... I have no idea why NXT is not on cryptsy. Does anybody know why?   Huh

Elena82

Activity: 228

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 07:52:56 PM

With the large community of NEM it should not be difficult to convince some exchanges to adopt NEM  Smiley
I may be wrong however... I have no idea why NXT is not on cryptsy. Does anybody know why?   Huh

I think I do not need to wait for favors from strangers, and do your first exchange with the free exchange IT to other crypto. 4000 we will have more people and ... At first everyone will have to sacrifice some of their capital in NEM and give it away for free to many people ...
TauMuon

Activity: 224

NEM Enthusiast

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 08:01:15 PM

Cryptsy have said they'll add NXT trading at some point, it's just a matter of time. Remember NXT is completely different to other altcoins, so implementing it into an exchange isn't as simple as you'd think.

NEM - New Economy Movement - http://blog.nem.io/overview/ | www.reddit.com/r/nem | https://www.facebook.com/ourNEM | https://twitter.com/nemcoin
Built from the Ground up with 100% Original Code | A Second-Generation Crypto, Radically Improved over Bitcoin | Philosophy of Solidarity and Egalitarianism
Xpedite

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 08:07:27 PM

Apparently there is an alternative like bitpay for altcoins:

https://www.coinpayments.net

They appear to accept quite alot of altcoins , however no NXT (technical issues Huh )

If these technical issues is a constraint to get a currency accepted to an exchange or other thing like this coinpayments, is this something that can be taken into account during development? Or is this just something that the exchanges have to deal with?

kattokassinen

Activity: 169

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 08:11:30 PM

When I registered for NEM, I honestly didn't expect much. I wouldn't have been surprised if the developers just had copied the NXT code and multiplied the 1b to 4 b.

As I have been observing this thread for a while now, I have come to realize that this has probably been one of the best investments I have ever made. People are serious about this, especially the developers, and I love it.

I will continue to observe, and will share my 2 cents whenever I have some ideas.

Thank you.
patmast3r

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 08:12:05 PM

They appear to accept quite alot of altcoins , however no NXT (technical issues Huh )

If these technical issues is a constraint to get a currency accepted to an exchange or other thing like this coinpayments, is this something that can be taken into account during development? Or is this just something that the exchanges have to deal with?

Well I'd assume that the NXT API is different for a reason so it's probably something that the exchanges are going to have to deal with.

j23a

Activity: 210

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 08:42:20 PM

Well I'd assume that the NXT API is different for a reason so it's probably something that the exchanges are going to have to deal with.

Or it could be that NXT is a 2nd generation coin and that website is designed for Bitcoin and its clones and future clones, all based on the same code. If that's the case, then it's up to the website to make it work because all 2nd generation coins are obviously going to be different.

TBTSX4-NKRX55-HF2ECG-SHPBG3-XIDD2Y-QDRI3N-P2O6
j23a

Activity: 210

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 09:20:03 PM

One of the major reasons why Bitcoin is so big is because in order to buy any other coins you must first buy Bitcoins. If we could somehow get lucky enough for a service that would allow us to bypass Bitcoins, and if we can somehow get some mainstream support, Nem could be just as big as Bitcoin. That's an extremely positive hope though.

If we were so lucky, I think calling it Nem Coin would have a much larger effect in getting across to people who never heard of cryptocoins. If the average person just read Nem, most likely they will move on and not give it much thought, but when you add the coin then people who are hearing it for the first time will have a better idea of what it's about. So when I mention the coin outside of these threads I always say Nem coin.

There's also Google. When you Google Nem, you'll find search results for other entities, but when you Google Nem coin, you find Nem coin. Even if Nem becomes big, in the future they will still have to compete with these other entities.

TBTSX4-NKRX55-HF2ECG-SHPBG3-XIDD2Y-QDRI3N-P2O6
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 09:23:56 PM

One of the major reasons why Bitcoin is so big is because in order to buy any other coins you must first buy Bitcoins. If we could somehow get lucky enough for a service that would allow us to bypass Bitcoins, and if we can somehow get some mainstream support, Nem could be just as big as Bitcoin. That's an extremely positive hope though.

If we were so lucky, I think calling it Nem Coin would have a much larger effect in getting across to people who never heard of cryptocoins. If the average person just read Nem, most likely they will move on and not give it much thought, but when you add the coin then people who are hearing it for the first time will have a better idea of what it's about. So when I mention the coin outside of these threads I always say Nem coin.

There's also Google. When you Google Nem, you'll find search results for other entities, but when you Google Nem coin, you find Nem coin. Even if Nem becomes big, in the future they will still have to compete with these other entities.

It might also be good to start differentiating new "coins" from bitcoin. That bitcoin uses coin, does not require all additional cryptocurrencies to use coin as well.
conbos

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 09:29:25 PM

I agree with most of the comments. For most of the BTC clones; the dependency on BTC is endemic. For NXT; I noticed that it is still problematic because, while the value of the coin respecting BTC increases; the value respecting any fiat currency (which at the end, are the currencies that can allow you to buy stuff and transfer value to the cryptocurrencies) is going down or it is keep in best cases. This is not good since it makes cryptocurrencies only useful as a high risk invesment instrument more proper for speculation. This is at the opposite of the NEM concept. IMO, the questions to solve are:
1. How to get independency from BTC
2. How to transfer value from the real world to NEM in a direct way (so then merchant can use directly)
3. How to establish an easy fiat-NEM exchange that goes in line with point 2

I think it is important to think how to solve these issues before launching or, at least to have some ideas how to do it. I am confident that the dev team can work in a solution but, as a community I think we need to discuss these issues

New Economy Movement (N.E.M.) Supporter
http://www.ournem.com
Pages: « 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 ... 484 »
  Print  

Jump to: