Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 01:26:00 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][SLR] SolarCoin - PoW reward for solar energy | the GREEN KING of Crypto  (Read 138363 times)
LuckyKey

Activity: 368
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 06:17:47 PM

Not sure what's up but some high hashing going on right now (800+ Mh/s)…breaking the pattern, as there's still 600+ blocks at 10+ diff?
corather
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1000

Solarcoin.org

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 06:29:20 PM

Not sure what's up but some high hashing going on right now (800+ Mh/s)…breaking the pattern, as there's still 600+ blocks at 10+ diff?

I saw that. I can't find it on the pools either. Looks to be a solo miner.

freebird

Activity: 414

Freedom through Cryptocurrency!

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 07:35:01 PM

Sorry, but i dont understand how this works, it appears anyone can mine this coin, so how does it know if your on solar power or not?

Anyone can mine the coin. But the purpose of mining for SolarCoin is just to get some coins into the hands of supporters of the project. The SolarCoin Foundation is a charitable nonprofit which gives grants to producers of solar energy at a rate of §1 SLR per Megawatt-hour. Grants have already started on a small scale, and eventually we hope that millions of solar electricity generators -- people with panels on their roofs as well as utilities -- will claim their SolarCoin grants. Mining rewards will be significantly reduced over time, or possibly even ended with a switch to Proof of Stake, so mine them while you can.

Detailed information is available in the FAQ at SolarCoin.org.

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org
freebird

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 07:40:43 PM

Glad to see something with real purpose like curecoin!

There are only a few cryptocurrencies that have a real purpose. SolarCoin is one of them. If you believe in renewable energy and the environment, SolarCoin is the logical currency to support, because we have a mission and plan as a charitable foundation to encourage the growth of clean renewable solar energy.

Thanks for your interest in SolarCoin.

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org
freebird

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 07:44:03 PM

Hi SolarCoin investors and traders,

Recently Bittrex started de-listing coins that didn't have much trading volume. Fortunately they kept SolarCoin, even though we had very low volume on Bittrex until recently. I guess they must like our concept or believe in our potential.  Smiley

Even with the recent uptick in volume for SolarCoin on Bittrex, we are still one of their low-volume coins, so we must be on the lookout for potential de-listing and do what we can to prevent it. They announced that they will de-list more coins twice a week from now on.

Bittrex is the only large exchange with a BTC-SLR trading pair. We need to make sure we stay listed there. I'm going to do my part by doing most of my SLR trading on Bittrex from now on. I encourage you to join me, so that we can build up enough volume there to be safe from the possibility of de-listing.

Freebird

Yes, I just read about this last night! The said on Twitter something about only keeping 30 low volume coins listed, so I thanked them again for listing SolarCoin.

I bought some there yesterday and noticed the volume was over 30,000 SLR. I wonder what the level is that they consider "low volume"?

Not sure. But we're currently ranked #81 by volume out of a total of 156 coins they list. So we're right in the middle. But that's with a 24-hour volume of 0.49 BTC, which is the highest we've been there in a while. If most SLR trading moves to Bittrex, we can hopefully keep at or above that level as our average daily volume instead of just a good day. In fact, until recently we were doing over 1 BTC per day on AllCrypt.

LuckyKey

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:32:22 PM

SolarCoin volume on Bittrex has been increasing recently. §20-30k traded per day the last few days. Still less than AllCrypt, but gaining ground. Nice to see some action for our currency on a bigger exchange, and Bittrex has been growing and adding new features, etc. Maybe in a few more months it'll be just as big as MintPal and Cryptsy.

https://bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=BTC-SLR

I just wish we could get some traders interested in this coin to give it more of a liquid order book. I have a feeling that nearly all the §SLR being "traded" on the exchanges is just miners dumping it straight into the hands of long-term investors who will never sell it for 2+ years.

Looking on the bright side, it's hard to imagine the price not going up when the supply of coins being mined by immediate dumpers starts to decline. Buying interest is there, eating a steady diet of dumped coins day after day.

I think the spike on bittrex was due to allcrypt being down for maintenance for a awhile (at that time).

LuckyKey

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:39:18 PM

SolarCoin volume on Bittrex has been increasing recently. §20-30k traded per day the last few days. Still less than AllCrypt, but gaining ground. Nice to see some action for our currency on a bigger exchange, and Bittrex has been growing and adding new features, etc. Maybe in a few more months it'll be just as big as MintPal and Cryptsy.

I just wish we could get some traders interested in this coin to give it more of a liquid order book. I have a feeling that nearly all the §SLR being "traded" on the exchanges is just miners dumping it straight into the hands of long-term investors who will never sell it for 2+ years.

Looking on the bright side, it's hard to imagine the price not going up when the supply of coins being mined by immediate dumpers starts to decline. Buying interest is there, eating a steady diet of dumped coins day after day.

I think the spike on bittrex was due to allcrypt being down for maintenance for a awhile (at that time).

Volume is starting to diminish on allcrypt.

Coins need a steady flow of news or happenings…need to find ways to increase coin value.  I don't see why the Foundation doesn't approach the big boys in the industry for solarcoin investment $? A steady flow of investment $ could easily be converted into coin revenue…which would significantly raise the valuation.
LuckyKey

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:40:56 PM

Have all the solarcoin miners warmed to the thought of letting PoS complete the distribution of mined coins?  Does anyone know what the foundation thinks of this idea?  Have their thoughts been posted anywhere?
freebird

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:54:23 PM

I don't think that's the reason. I moved some of my bids from AllCrypt to Bittrex and some of them got filled, which was a significant chunk of the volume. Other people apparently got bids filled on Bittrex too, or bought into some of the asks, which accounted for the rest of the volume spike. Now today, a bunch of coins got dumped on Bittrex and I managed to get a bid filled in the 800s, which I consider to be a great price for a long-term investment in this coin. I hope more people will put up bids on Bittrex at these awesome prices.

freebird

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:59:06 PM

I don't see why the Foundation doesn't approach the big boys in the industry for solarcoin investment $? A steady flow of investment $ could easily be converted into coin revenue…which would significantly raise the valuation.

This is being discussed by the Board, but we're delaying action on outreach to big businesses until after the Foundation is legally incorporated, Bylaws finalized, etc.

See this item in the recent Board meeting minutes:

Unanimous decisions about possibilities for outreach to SolarCity and/or other major solar energy companies:
        The Board will inform [names redacted] that it’s too early to take action on their proposal and make formal agreements because we’re still finalizing organizational and legal structure, but that we encourage them to have further dialogue with us.
        The Board will ask [name redacted] to submit his ideas and suggestions for outreach to SolarCity and/or other residential solar companies, and any other entities in the solar industry and supply chain that he thinks are relevant.

LuckyKey

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 09:59:26 PM

I don't think that's the reason. I moved some of my bids from AllCrypt to Bittrex and some of them got filled, which was a significant chunk of the volume. Other people apparently got bids filled on Bittrex too, or bought into some of the asks, which accounted for the rest of the volume spike. Now today, a bunch of coins got dumped on Bittrex and I managed to get a bid filled in the 800s, which I consider to be a great price for a long-term investment in this coin. I hope more people will put up bids on Bittrex at these awesome prices.

Hopefully that price does not become the new norm…otherwise it may be you and I buying them all.  lol
LuckyKey

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 10:00:00 PM

I don't see why the Foundation doesn't approach the big boys in the industry for solarcoin investment $? A steady flow of investment $ could easily be converted into coin revenue…which would significantly raise the valuation.

This is being discussed by the Board, but we're delaying action on outreach to big businesses until after the Foundation is legally incorporated, Bylaws finalized, etc.

See this item in the recent Board meeting minutes:

Unanimous decisions about possibilities for outreach to SolarCity and/or other major solar energy companies:
        The Board will inform [names redacted] that it’s too early to take action on their proposal and make formal agreements because we’re still finalizing organizational and legal structure, but that we encourage them to have further dialogue with us.
        The Board will ask [name redacted] to submit his ideas and suggestions for outreach to SolarCity and/or other residential solar companies, and any other entities in the solar industry and supply chain that he thinks are relevant.

freebird

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 10:06:05 PM

Have all the solarcoin miners warmed to the thought of letting PoS complete the distribution of mined coins?  Does anyone know what the foundation thinks of this idea?  Have their thoughts been posted anywhere?

The Foundation is seriously studying Proof of Stake and other similar possibilities such as Proof of Stake Velocity. From the recent Board meeting minutes:

Unanimous decision: Nick Gogerty will lead a task force to research possibilities to decrease mining reward and/or switch to Proof of Stake or Proof of Stake Velocity or other methodology for securing the SolarCoin network.

Most people involved in SolarCoin seem to be leaning in favor of making some kind of change that would reduce the inflation rate to help increase valuation. But nothing has been decided yet. It is being thoroughly studied.

Nick Gogerty, who is leading the team that's studying how to improve the economic aspects and valuation of the currency, has an academic economics background and is a professional hedge fund manager.

LuckyKey

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 10:31:41 PM

The Foundation is seriously studying Proof of Stake and other similar possibilities such as Proof of Stake Velocity. From the recent Board meeting minutes:

Unanimous decision: Nick Gogerty will lead a task force to research possibilities to decrease mining reward and/or switch to Proof of Stake or Proof of Stake Velocity or other methodology for securing the SolarCoin network.

Most people involved in SolarCoin seem to be leaning in favor of making some kind of change that would reduce the inflation rate to help increase valuation. But nothing has been decided yet. It is being thoroughly studied.

Nick Gogerty, who is leading the team that's studying how to improve the economic aspects and valuation of the currency, has an academic economics background and is a professional hedge fund manager.

I heard the interview with him on Bitcoins and Gravy…it was inspiring :-)
corather
Legendary

Solarcoin.org

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 10:38:25 PM

"Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.allcrypt.com. Peer's Certificate has been revoked. (Error code: sec_error_revoked_certificate)

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem. Alternatively, use the command found in the help menu to report this broken site."

This is what I get from AllCrypt at the moment.

LuckyKey

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 11:18:42 PM

An error occurred during a connection to www.allcrypt.com. Peer's Certificate has been revoked. (Error code: sec_error_revoked_certificate)

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem. Alternatively, use the command found in the help menu to report this broken site."

Working fine for me right now.
corather
Legendary

Solarcoin.org

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 12:59:55 AM

Working fine for me right now.

Working for me too now also. Guess they worked out the issue. Smiley

freebird

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 02:36:28 AM

Hopefully that price does not become the new norm…otherwise it may be you and I buying them all.  lol

I would guess that there's a price, probably not much lower than the current price, at which it would no longer be profitable to mine and sell this coin. If it goes below that price, whatever it is, presumably the only people mining would be long-term holders. And therefore the selling pressure on the exchanges would stop.

I wonder what that price is? Anybody who mines this coin have any idea?

LuckyKey

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 04:17:52 AM

I would guess that there's a price, probably not much lower than the current price, at which it would no longer be profitable to mine and sell this coin. If it goes below that price, whatever it is, presumably the only people mining would be long-term holders. And therefore the selling pressure on the exchanges would stop.

We're already there! You can't mine this coin with a diff of 10 and produce and sell enough coins to pay for your hydro, let alone the rig costs!

freebird

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:00:12 AM

We're already there! You can't mine this coin with a diff of 10 and produce and sell enough coins to pay for your hydro, let alone the rig costs!

Then the constant selling pressure is coming from some unknown source, instead of miners. Perhaps early "investors" who got in because they thought it would be a quick pump rather than because of believing in the long-term potential of this currency?

I have to admit I don't get why anyone would have bought SolarCoin in the first place unless they were planning to hold it for at least a year. This currency was never touted as a quickie pump like 99% of other altcoins out there. It was always intended to be a gradual plan of development with a long time horizon.

I think the people selling below 1000 satoshis are going to regret it. Especially if we do switch to PoS and there are hardly any new coins available to be bought later on.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  

Jump to: