Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:03:47 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][SLR] SolarCoin - PoW reward for solar energy | the GREEN KING of Crypto  (Read 138363 times)
corather
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1000

Solarcoin.org

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:19:38 AM

SolarCoin volume on Bittrex has been increasing recently. §20-30k traded per day the last few days. Still less than AllCrypt, but gaining ground. Nice to see some action for our currency on a bigger exchange, and Bittrex has been growing and adding new features, etc. Maybe in a few more months it'll be just as big as MintPal and Cryptsy.

https://bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=BTC-SLR

I just wish we could get some traders interested in this coin to give it more of a liquid order book. I have a feeling that nearly all the §SLR being "traded" on the exchanges is just miners dumping it straight into the hands of long-term investors who will never sell it for 2+ years.

Looking on the bright side, it's hard to imagine the price not going up when the supply of coins being mined by immediate dumpers starts to decline. Buying interest is there, eating a steady diet of dumped coins day after day.

I think the spike on bittrex was due to allcrypt being down for maintenance for a awhile (at that time).

I don't think that's the reason. I moved some of my bids from AllCrypt to Bittrex and some of them got filled, which was a significant chunk of the volume. Other people apparently got bids filled on Bittrex too, or bought into some of the asks, which accounted for the rest of the volume spike. Now today, a bunch of coins got dumped on Bittrex and I managed to get a bid filled in the 800s, which I consider to be a great price for a long-term investment in this coin. I hope more people will put up bids on Bittrex at these awesome prices.

Hopefully that price does not become the new norm…otherwise it may be you and I buying them all.  lol

I would guess that there's a price, probably not much lower than the current price, at which it would no longer be profitable to mine and sell this coin. If it goes below that price, whatever it is, presumably the only people mining would be long-term holders. And therefore the selling pressure on the exchanges would stop.

I wonder what that price is? Anybody who mines this coin have any idea?

We're already there! You can't mine this coin with a diff of 10 and produce and sell enough coins to pay for your hydro, let alone the rig costs!

Then the constant selling pressure is coming from some unknown source, instead of miners. Perhaps early "investors" who got in because they thought it would be a quick pump rather than because of believing in the long-term potential of this currency?

I have to admit I don't get why anyone would have bought SolarCoin in the first place unless they were planning to hold it for at least a year. This currency was never touted as a quickie pump like 99% of other altcoins out there. It was always intended to be a gradual plan of development with a long time horizon.

I think the people selling below 1000 satoshis are going to regret it. Especially if we do switch to PoS and there are hardly any new coins available to be bought later on.

I can see the switch to PoS in the future, but for now there's plenty of coins to mine and it needs the exposure. Once the difficulty issue is resolved there should be a steady following of miners which hopefully will steadily grow.

CryptoLyon

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:26:42 AM

SolarCoin volume on Bittrex has been increasing recently. §20-30k traded per day the last few days. Still less than AllCrypt, but gaining ground. Nice to see some action for our currency on a bigger exchange, and Bittrex has been growing and adding new features, etc. Maybe in a few more months it'll be just as big as MintPal and Cryptsy.

I just wish we could get some traders interested in this coin to give it more of a liquid order book. I have a feeling that nearly all the §SLR being "traded" on the exchanges is just miners dumping it straight into the hands of long-term investors who will never sell it for 2+ years.

Looking on the bright side, it's hard to imagine the price not going up when the supply of coins being mined by immediate dumpers starts to decline. Buying interest is there, eating a steady diet of dumped coins day after day.

I think the spike on bittrex was due to allcrypt being down for maintenance for a awhile (at that time).

I don't think that's the reason. I moved some of my bids from AllCrypt to Bittrex and some of them got filled, which was a significant chunk of the volume. Other people apparently got bids filled on Bittrex too, or bought into some of the asks, which accounted for the rest of the volume spike. Now today, a bunch of coins got dumped on Bittrex and I managed to get a bid filled in the 800s, which I consider to be a great price for a long-term investment in this coin. I hope more people will put up bids on Bittrex at these awesome prices.

Hopefully that price does not become the new norm…otherwise it may be you and I buying them all.  lol

I would guess that there's a price, probably not much lower than the current price, at which it would no longer be profitable to mine and sell this coin. If it goes below that price, whatever it is, presumably the only people mining would be long-term holders. And therefore the selling pressure on the exchanges would stop.

We're already there! You can't mine this coin with a diff of 10 and produce and sell enough coins to pay for your hydro, let alone the rig costs!

Ever thought that the premined is being sold slowly?
97 billion coins at the average rate of 900 satoshi = 873,000 bitcoins

That is 520 million dollars at the current BTC/USD market rate!
freebird

Activity: 414
Merit: 250

Freedom through Cryptocurrency!

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:48:39 AM
Last edit: June 17, 2014, 07:16:55 AM by freebird

Ever thought that the premined is being sold slowly?
97 billion coins at the average rate of 900 satoshi = 873,000 bitcoins

That is 520 million dollars at the current BTC/USD market rate!

The SolarCoin block explorer shows the addresses that hold the premined coins, and none of them have ever been touched. They are all listed on the front page of this site: http://solarcoin.zapto.org

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org
freebird

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 07:23:20 AM

I can see the switch to PoS in the future, but for now there's plenty of coins to mine and it needs the exposure. Once the difficulty issue is resolved there should be a steady following of miners which hopefully will steadily grow.

Hope so. We need to increase the hashrate and number of miners who believe in the coin. I would assume that fixing the difficulty issue will increase the attractiveness of the coin to the mining community. I just hope that the new miners won't insta-dump whatever they mine -- or if they do, that some new investors will be buying what they sell rather than the same investors accumulating gigantic positions. I intend to keep buying SolarCoins at these low prices, and happy to have a big stash, but I'd rather see more widespread distribution to lots of small investors as this grows the utility of the currency in the long run.

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org
LuckyKey

Activity: 368

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 12:51:23 PM

Then the constant selling pressure is coming from some unknown source, instead of miners. Perhaps early "investors" who got in because they thought it would be a quick pump rather than because of believing in the long-term potential of this currency?

I have to admit I don't get why anyone would have bought SolarCoin in the first place unless they were planning to hold it for at least a year. This currency was never touted as a quickie pump like 99% of other altcoins out there. It was always intended to be a gradual plan of development with a long time horizon.

I think the people selling below 1000 satoshis are going to regret it. Especially if we do switch to PoS and there are hardly any new coins available to be bought later on.

It's not profitable for small miners; GPU or small ASIC miners, when the diff is around 10 or more.  The selling is coming from those that have the big hashing power. There just are not that many profitable alt coins, so solarcoin can net them some quick BTC when they drop near 1000 Mh/s on it for a few short hours, and then sell off their 100K+ coins they produce.

I totally agree, most people who are mining and buying solarcoins believe in the long term potential and are holding on to them.

Have to hope that some increase in coin value will come via more exposure and anything the Foundation can cook up. Once that happens, more investors should come :-)
Epiphany

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 09:42:59 PM

How long has Allcrypt been down? Anyone know? I can't seem to find anything...

Bitcoin:     17tzgWkXMBazch4koAhokMTcCtbc4TaYkE
Ether:        0xfe700f4aeec47e52eafad00f81977bb89738e0ae
​SolarCoin: 8MDk963sEh7RCMo3y3st7hTzMs7FzSdWSx
Dogecoin: DEgdH6CFTLSEeVVPqfE18ySCQqDWmLxp33
freebird

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 09:56:20 PM

I think it's been at least an hour.

That exchange has been having a lot of technical problems recently. All the more reason to switch to Bittrex. The prices are also cheaper on Bittrex. Today I got a bid filled there at 700 satoshis!  Shocked

LuckyKey

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 10:29:13 PM

That exchange has been having a lot of technical problems recently. All the more reason to switch to Bittrex. The prices are also cheaper on Bittrex. Today I got a bid filled there at 700 satoshis!  Shocked

Nice!  :-)
freebird

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 10:32:51 PM

Nice!  :-)

Yeah, it's always a good idea to have a couple of lowball bids on the books. Never know when some big dumper will come along and fill them. It happened to me once before when I got a 500 satoshi bid filled on AllCrypt a couple months ago.  Grin

drizzle2405
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 03:11:59 PM

WOW!  WHALE on the pool right now!!!

1  anonymous 1,576,974 518,421.275 2.5973

Pool Hash Rate
1918.438 MH/s

Pool Efficiency
38.76%

Current Active Workers

Current Difficulty

Est. Next Difficulty
18.31947944 (Change in 1073 Blocks)

Est. Avg. Time per Round (Network)
20 seconds

Est. Avg. Time per Round (Pool)
13 seconds

Est. Shares this Round
401029 (done: 1248.39%)

Next Network Block
201,972    (Current: 201,971)

Last Block Found

Time Since Last Block
2 minutes 32 seconds

This is killing the coin...  When someone has millions of the outstanding coins???  Dump = no value...  Change to PoS!

drizzle2405
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 03:14:24 PM

Climbing...

Est. Next Difficulty
19.00705264 (Change in 1046 Blocks)

Have we been hit by a multipool?

drizzle2405
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 03:16:07 PM

Climbing higher...

Est. Next Difficulty
21.84350424 (Change in 1037 Blocks)

passionsurf

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 06:48:59 PM

You two aren't the only ones buying. I'm buying as well, maybe not as much, but I've accumulated about 200k SLR so far. I'm hoping another big player will dump their coins for 500 satoshis, because I have my buy orders placed.
Epiphany

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 09:15:29 PM

You two aren't the only ones buying. I'm buying as well, maybe not as much, but I've accumulated about 200k SLR so far. I'm hoping another big player will dump their coins for 500 satoshis, because I have my buy orders placed.

Same here and I have less than you do. But not by much.  Wink

dfelmann

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 04:29:10 PM

Hello solarcoin miners, investors, and community. Thank you all for your patience while we prepare changes to the difficulty retargeting algorithm. We are currently testing digishield on the solarcoin testnet. Please know that we are doing our best to be thorough; even small seemingly innocuous code changes can have large unforeseen affects on the network. Our goal is to ensure a smooth hard fork and maintain ongoing solarcoin network stability. We will keep the community updated as we draw nearer to implementation.

In the meantime, there may be a bit of relief coming quite soon. There is a perhaps little known change to the difficulty retargeting mechanism that is already set to happen. Starting at block 208440, difficulty will be retargeted every 15 blocks instead of every 1440 blocks. The block target will remain the same at one minute. You do not need to update anything to implement this retarget change. It is built into the current clients and will happen automatically across the network starting at block 208440. FYI you can find this in the source code here https://github.com/solarcoin/solarcoin/blob/master/src/main.cpp#L846.

15 minute retargeting will not completely solve the multipool / large miner issues we have been seeing lately, but it will certainly reduce the period of time we are stuck at high difficulty and perhaps make make it more unreasonable for whoever is throttling the network at low difficulty to continue this practice, considering the difficulty will change much more frequently.

corather
Legendary

Solarcoin.org

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 05:25:06 PM

Hello solarcoin miners, investors, and community. Thank you all for your patience while we prepare changes to the difficulty retargeting algorithm. We are currently testing digishield on the solarcoin testnet. Please know that we are doing our best to be thorough; even small seemingly innocuous code changes can have large unforeseen affects on the network. Our goal is to ensure a smooth hard fork and maintain ongoing solarcoin network stability. We will keep the community updated as we draw nearer to implementation.

In the meantime, there may be a bit of relief coming quite soon. There is a perhaps little known change to the difficulty retargeting mechanism that is already set to happen. Starting at block 208440, difficulty will be retargeted every 15 blocks instead of every 1440 blocks. The block target will remain the same at one minute. You do not need to update anything to implement this retarget change. It is built into the current clients and will happen automatically across the network starting at block 208440. FYI you can find this in the source code here https://github.com/solarcoin/solarcoin/blob/master/src/main.cpp#L846.

15 minute retargeting will not completely solve the multipool / large miner issues we have been seeing lately, but it will certainly reduce the period of time we are stuck at high difficulty and perhaps make make it more unreasonable for whoever is throttling the network at low difficulty to continue this practice, considering the difficulty will change much more frequently.

Now that IS good news. Smiley

fabula

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 06:08:23 PM

Now that IS good news. Smiley

Nice news.
Have to jump again, since someone's stole my 100k slr from my wallet some months ago.  Angry
Epiphany

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 06:13:14 PM

Thank you Doug!  Grin

corather
Legendary

Solarcoin.org

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 06:34:01 PM

I grabbed a Fury from GAW on the cloud and have been mining LTC with it, but with this news I pointed it to prominer to help expedite. My GPU scrypt miner has reached it's end life usefulness unless I mine vert, but even that isn't nearly as profitable as it once was. ASICs are here to stay and I'm glad they are. You cannot build a solid venture without scalability. ASIC's provide that scalability, without them the real world will not adopt the technology. If Bitcoin never adopted ASIC tech, we would be going about our lives right now without even knowing about it on the most part, at least the general public would.

LuckyKey

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 10:21:53 PM

Awesome news!  Thanks for the updates :-)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  

Jump to: