Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 04:08:04 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][SLR] SolarCoin - PoW reward for solar energy | the GREEN KING of Crypto  (Read 138363 times)
Epiphany

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2014, 11:43:26 AM

Here is the link to the most recent iteration of the PoS Model Eric & I have been working on based on comments from people here as well as our own ideas:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jG0vxthcEprYlx7X-O6DxFHggrFMHJbAhTfu7T_c9lo/edit?usp=sharing

I've made the access public but only comments are allowed for now, I just thought you all might like to take a peek at what we're looking at with this.

Keep in mind, this should NOT be considered as clear cut proof that we intend to do this. We need coding expertise from the community to implement it if we decide to go ahead. That's why the switch is not modeled to take place until the third quarter of this year, to give us time to decide if this is how we want to proceed and to find someone out there with the coding expertise who would be willing to help us.

The main benefit would obviously be an initial boost to the price which in turn could ramp up claims from generators. Overall the impact on the original design and model of SolarCoin should remain roughly the same as it is with the current PoW algorithm. This just shifts initial demand more to the front end but has minimal impact on supply over the 40 year time horizon.

Please, please, please share your thoughts, comments, concerns in a constructive manner. Let's see where this goes. Smiley

Bitcoin:     17tzgWkXMBazch4koAhokMTcCtbc4TaYkE
Ether:        0xfe700f4aeec47e52eafad00f81977bb89738e0ae
​SolarCoin: 8MDk963sEh7RCMo3y3st7hTzMs7FzSdWSx
Dogecoin: DEgdH6CFTLSEeVVPqfE18ySCQqDWmLxp33
arloseb

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

I don't know all this hurry for changing algorytm or turn into pos.

Guys, you are mining and holding a crypto where dev says that it could reach 20$ each within 40 years!!!
I tell you again, 40 years!!!

So, mine it for 40 years without stop,buy and investing thousand and thousand of dollar if you really believe in solarcoin.

Seems that everyone if afraid about price, and why it doesn't rise.
So, change in x11,x13,x22,sha356,pos,scrypt n, etc etc etc. Why? Leave solarcoin be mineable for everyone instead of changing every 3 months the algorytm. Price don't follow this.

Or if you don't believe anymore in solarcoin, sell all and mine other cryptos.
Leave solarcoin rise over 40 years.
Epiphany

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2014, 12:06:29 PM

Guys, you are mining and holding a crypto where dev says that it could reach 20$ each within 40 years!!!

So, mine it for 40 years without stop,buy and investing thousand and thousand of dollar if you really believe in solarcoin.

So, change in x11,x13,x22,sha356,pos,scrypt n, etc etc etc. Why? Leave solarcoin be mineable for everyone instead of changing every 3 months the algorytm. Price don't follow this.

I don't entirely disagree with this point of view. Smiley

arloseb

Activity: 868

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 12:17:58 PM

Solarcoin hit allcrypt at 3k,then followed a slowly dump. Even more. 3k when no promotion was done. With no country added in solar grant. Then when I was reading that netherland,u.s.a.,italy started to claim solarcoin I was supposing a price rise,but it was the opposite,price dump even more.
Following days I was so angry...."Why I choose solarcoin instead of darkcoin or blackoin? Shit!! They were born same time and now darcoin are 8usd each and solarcoin 0.000000001 usd each. Oh no,maybe all users complains about 99 percent premine were right! How we can increase volume over years if 99 percent are premine. Oh no,oh no"
Then I realize that solarcoin is here to stay for nexts 40 years. So,for me it could reach 1satoshi. Doesn't matter. I have time to wait. If anyone is in panic mode about price is just cause some don't trust in solarcoin and want profit asap. Wait 40 years and you will have it. Don't want to wait? Mine other cryptos. Surely you will have more profit now with other cryptos.
vipgelsi
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 12:25:19 PM

Here is the link to the most recent iteration of the PoS Model Eric & I have been working on based on comments from people here as well as our own ideas:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jG0vxthcEprYlx7X-O6DxFHggrFMHJbAhTfu7T_c9lo/edit?usp=sharing

I've made the access public but only comments are allowed for now, I just thought you all might like to take a peek at what we're looking at with this.

Keep in mind, this should NOT be considered as clear cut proof that we intend to do this. We need coding expertise from the community to implement it if we decide to go ahead. That's why the switch is not modeled to take place until the third quarter of this year, to give us time to decide if this is how we want to proceed and to find someone out there with the coding expertise who would be willing to help us.

The main benefit would obviously be an initial boost to the price which in turn could ramp up claims from generators. Overall the impact on the original design and model of SolarCoin should remain roughly the same as it is with the current PoW algorithm. This just shifts initial demand more to the front end but has minimal impact on supply over the 40 year time horizon.

Please, please, please share your thoughts, comments, concerns in a constructive manner. Let's see where this goes. Smiley

Bravo!
vipgelsi
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 12:27:11 PM

Does it make sense to have my 7950's running 24/7 wasting electricity with pow?
Epiphany

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2014, 12:37:29 PM

Solarcoin hit allcrypt at 3k,then followed a slowly dump. Even more. 3k when no promotion was done. With no country added in solar grant. Then when I was reading that netherland,u.s.a.,italy started to claim solarcoin I was supposing a price rise,but it was the opposite,price dump even more.
Following days I was so angry...."Why I choose solarcoin instead of darkcoin or blackoin? Shit!! They were born same time and now darcoin are 8usd each and solarcoin 0.000000001 usd each. Oh no,maybe all users complains about 99 percent premine were right! How we can increase volume over years if 99 percent are premine. Oh no,oh no"
Then I realize that solarcoin is here to stay for nexts 40 years. So,for me it could reach 1satoshi. Doesn't matter. I have time to wait. If anyone is in panic mode about price is just cause some don't trust in solarcoin and want profit asap. Wait 40 years and you will have it. Don't want to wait? Mine other cryptos. Surely you will have more profit now with other cryptos.

I tend to agree. I spent much time on the weekend trying to understand PoS and this spreadsheet was the result. What I learned in the process is exactly what you just said. Switching to a different method of creating the 105 million coins needed to secure the network is all a switch to PoS would really do. The biggest benefit (other than a price pump) to a PoS algo over the current PoW algo is in minimizing the chance of a 51% attack. There are other perks too, but those are the big ones.

What we should be focusing our efforts on is the truly unique Proof of Generation algorithm that is already in the model. That can't be predicted because it is dependent on the growth of solar. All we need to do is get people to start claiming them and then that algorithm will naturally take over and drive the price wherever it needs to go.

If the crypto community believes in the mission of SolarCoin and is adamant that we need PoS, then the code can be written. It is open source after all. If an algorithm came along that kept the principles the same (as shown in the spreadsheet) then there would be no harm in accepting such a fork assuming that the coins created already would be safe. And thanks to the pre-mine, the fork would have to be safe, otherwise nobody would accept it.

I'm happy to sit back and wait 4-5 years for my $20 per coin value. Always have been. It's the mission that's important, we need to remember that every time we get distracted by the latest crypto pump and dump fad. But that's not to say we shouldn't research advancements in the algorithm space, we should.

Epiphany

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2014, 12:40:56 PM

There's no guarantee this will even happen so I wouldn't make any rash judgments right now if I were you. If my miner was still functional, I'd still be mining. And like I said in a previous post, I am doing pretty well mining through NiceHash contracts when I have the funds available to buy them.

fabula

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 01:12:17 PM

There's no guarantee this will even happen so I wouldn't make any rash judgments right now if I were you. If my miner was still functional, I'd still be mining. And like I said in a previous post, I am doing pretty well mining through NiceHash contracts when I have the funds available to buy them.

I have bought 2 blade for mining slr(available to rent if you want) and now want change to pos? Noooooooooo!!!  Wink Wink Wink  Just joking
vipgelsi
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 02:40:05 PM

I am still mining just at night to avoid the heat Smiley
vipgelsi
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 02:43:42 PM

Who in the world is dumping at under 0.00000500
Epiphany

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2014, 03:06:44 PM

There's no volume to it, it's just someone trying to manipulate the price lower to try and get a panic sell reaction or something stupid like that.

Nobody in their right mind would sell a measly 198.21873488 SLR for any other reason than to manipulate the price to achieve some monetary or other gain.

OR it could be a small time miner who's just scrounging for satoshis to pay the bills, in which case it's a trade driven by supply and demand dynamics and ROI and not a trade driven by value.

In any event, whatever the motivation, that trade is absolutely not a panic sell, by any stretch of the imagination.  Grin

freebird

Activity: 414

Freedom through Cryptocurrency!

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 04:33:46 PM

This model, or something close to it, is what I'm hoping we do, but we would need some coding help.

A simpler option, which would not require coding help, is to reduce the block reward and/or speed up the halving of the reward. In this scenario, we would keep PoW mining, but mining would yield fewer coins, which presumably means that fewer coins would be available for sale on the market and the price would go up.

Any comments on that option, let's call it PoW with reduced inflation rate? Like it? Dislike it?

Btw, the main purpose of either of these changes would be to make SolarCoin a greater financial incentive for solar energy generators, to incentivize solar energy, which is the mission of the SolarCoin Foundation. As it is right now, because so many new coins are being produced, the price is low and thus the incentive is low for generators to claim their coins.

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org
vipgelsi
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 04:54:31 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2014, 05:04:54 PM by vipgelsi

If solarcoin went to a few bucks everybody would start claiming solar grants via solarpanels i bet we even would hit the big news chanels.

We need to concentrate on the value of the coin going up. And the grants will pour in.

pos or lower block reward both would work
corather
Legendary

Activity: 1708

Solarcoin.org

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 06:27:02 PM

If solarcoin went to a few bucks everybody would start claiming solar grants via solarpanels i bet we even would hit the big news chanels.

We need to concentrate on the value of the coin going up. And the grants will pour in.

pos or lower block reward both would work

The largest factor is incorporation. If the Solarcoin foundation were already incorporated the opportunity wouldn't be as large but this is the risk we're taking. It's an important project though and in the current state of political and economic affairs it's well positioned to grow with the solar industry.

C'mon Solarcoin Foundation, find that special someone for the board and incorporate! Smiley

terciops

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 07:07:26 PM

This model, or something close to it, is what I'm hoping we do, but we would need some coding help.

A simpler option, which would not require coding help, is to reduce the block reward and/or speed up the halving of the reward. In this scenario, we would keep PoW mining, but mining would yield fewer coins, which presumably means that fewer coins would be available for sale on the market and the price would go up.

Any comments on that option, let's call it PoW with reduced inflation rate? Like it? Dislike it?

Btw, the main purpose of either of these changes would be to make SolarCoin a greater financial incentive for solar energy generators, to incentivize solar energy, which is the mission of the SolarCoin Foundation. As it is right now, because so many new coins are being produced, the price is low and thus the incentive is low for generators to claim their coins.

Your last paragraph is an interesting take on the chicken and egg conundrum.   As I understand it :

You need miners to secure the blockchain.   

Most miners will not mine a coin if the price is low and/or shows no sign of a rise.  They are in the game to ROI on their hardware and electricity.

As I write this the total network is at 150Mhz/s with a Difficulty of 2.1.

The price of SLR has flat-lined at 500S  or US$0.003 with a total trading volume of $246 in the past 24H.

IMHO the move to the 15 block difficulty change was a good move to stop the tactical mining, but the publicity around that move allowed the mining community to realise that SLR has a massive pre-mine and very limited earning potential for the ROI focused miner.

Finally - your rather cheapskate choice of server provider for SOLARCOIN.ORG was a huge mistake from a perception point of view.  Take at look at your records at say :  http://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/solarcoin.org  and you will see that solarcoin has the following bedfellows: (although that is probably an inappropriate term given the list content).

p Address: 199.83.128.125
Hosting Service: "Incapsula"
Hosting City:
Hosting Region: NC
Hosting Postal:
Hosting Country: United States
Domain Created: 2013-04-17 18:21:32
Domain Expires: 2014-04-17 18:21:32
Domain Life: 365
Est Value: $3416.32
Ping: 812
Speed: Average
Network Name: The Endurance International Group, Inc.
Network Country: United States

66 Other WebSites On This Server
free-live-sex-chat.com....0%
1234live.com....0%
teen18cams.com....22%
maturecamsplus.com....22%
koreansexchat.net....44%
damnsexycams.com....47%
livenudecams.mobi....47%
24milfcams.com....47%
livesexycams.org....50%
freesexxxchat.com....50%
chat-chat.net....52%
bazooka-chat.com....52%
sexvideochatlive.com....54%
freenudecams.xxx....54%
gaycam.pw....54%
sexchatwebcams.org....55%
glamourgirlsheaven.com....55%
megustacam.com....58%
webcamteen.org....58%
adultcamdelights.com....60%
pussycamgirls.com....60%
freecamsmature.com....61%
freecamsbook.com....63%
gaycamzilla.com....63%
cheapestcamsex.com....65%
hotarabcams.com....67%
nudecamsexy.com....67%
sucksexcams.com....69%
brennanlending.com....71%
hotcam.us....71%
sex-chat-bot.com....75%

Huh Huh

SLR - 8dNrncD6mBWzPPQLMRqmk9oCxoC9N7Xfev
Epiphany

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2014, 07:36:39 PM

Huh Huh

Well that's embarrassing! I will admit though, I am giggling a little bit right now because it's kinda funny too. Grin

I'm pretty sure when you pick a provider, you can't control what other types of sites they choose to host though, right?

passionsurf

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 09:21:09 PM

I'm glad they are dumping, cuz that means cheap solarcoins for the few of us who are actually buying. I figured it would take a nice dip this summer. And I anticipate the price will dip even more as long as the algorithm is suitable to mine with scrypt asic machines.
LuckyKey

Activity: 368

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 11:31:05 PM

I'm glad they are dumping, cuz that means cheap solarcoins for the few of us who are actually buying. I figured it would take a nice dip this summer. And I anticipate the price will dip even more as long as the algorithm is suitable to mine with scrypt asic machines.

+1

LuckyKey

Activity: 368

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 12:52:43 AM

+1

My GPUs are loving this difficulty!   Grin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  

Jump to: