Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:31:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667035 times)
skybot13x

Activity: 616
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 09:48:36 PM

The new windows binaries can finally find the GDP thing but still cant find the blockchain file=[?

Help

█████████████████████████████
██████▀ ▀███████████▀ ▀██████
████▀ ▄█▄ ▀███████▀ ▄█▄ ▀████
███▄ ▀████▄ ▀███▀ ▄████▀ ▄███
█████▄ ▀████▄ ▀ ▄████▀ ▄█████
███████▄ ▀████▄ ▀██▀ ▄███████
█████████  █████ ████████████
███████▀ ▄████▀ ▄██▄ ▀███████
█████▀ ▄████▀ ▄ ▀████▄ ▀█████
███▀ ▄████▀ ▄███▄ ▀████▄ ▀███
████▄ ▀█▀ ▄███████▄ ▀█▀ ▄████
██████▄ ▄███████████▄ ▄██████
..XIRCUS..                       ▄████▄
    ▄███▄              ██████
    █████             ▀████▀
     ▀▀▀ ▀▄         ▄▀
           ▄█████▄
           █████████
           █████████
           ▀█████▀
         ▄▀    █    ▀▄ ▄▄
       ▄▀      █      ████
▄████▄     ▄█████▄   ▀██▀
██████      ███████
 ▀▀▀▀       ▀█████▀
||
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████▀    ▐███████
███████████    ▄▄█████████
▐██████████▀    ▀▀█████████▌
▐█████████▌       █████████▌
▐███████████    ███████████▌
███████████    ███████████
██████████    ██████████
▀████████▄  ▄████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 09:54:04 PM

Someone let me know when another clone of this coin comes out. I want to get in on it right at launch.

You can't just keep cloning shitcoins and expect them to go anywhere. This coin had a compelling purpose since BCN was ninja premined for 80%. There is no such advantage that another clone would have over this one. Stay here and mine. The reward curve is mostly flat now. In six months the current difficulty may look extremely low.

EDIT: In fact in six days the current difficulty may look extremely low.

blaaaaacksuit

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Who cares?

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 10:07:46 PM

It could and was argued that DRK gave early miners an unfair advantage, ninja launch etc.  but in the end had no effect on its future.

1. How do you know the effect? What would have happened without the launch issues.

2. The future is still being written. CryptoNote has the potential to render DRK obsolete anyway. We'll see.

Launch issues were negligible in my eyes as far as DRK went because most miners didn't care anyway.  90% of them were out looking for another scrypt clone to point their GPUs at, CPU coins had a bit of a stigma about them at the time.  I don't claim to know what might have been, but considering DRK was trading at over .005 just a few days ago, I'd say the coin was a success despite launch issues, ninja launch etc.  As far as CryptoNote being a DRK killer I was just having the same conversation with someone else about that today, I totally agree that it has the potential for this.  I find this to be the most promising coin out there at the moment by an order of magnitude, not just in terms of price but also technologically it sets the bar much higher.
Keyboard-Mash

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 10:37:16 PM

Launch issues were negligible in my eyes as far as DRK went because most miners didn't care anyway.  90% of them were out looking for another scrypt clone to point their GPUs at, CPU coins had a bit of a stigma about them at the time. 

Your opinion doesn't really detract from nor justify the fact that the reason for the instamine was due to an incorrect coding of difficulty retargeting, something that would have been realized in a testnet if it had been in a testnet for even a day.

For a guy that took the time to put x11 together, who is so intent on doing everything himself, and so intent on using the testnet -- don't you think he'd want to spend at least a day on mining it before release?

I get that the amount is negligible to a lot of people, but what's not acceptable is that I just can't believe it was an accident. Great developer overall, and a great community . . but the jumpy decisions to tie up the supply in some kind of tax or cause shocks scared me away.

Hope nothing but growth for them, but I'm too scared to go back.

skybot13x

Activity: 616
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 10:38:40 PM

"Windows blockchain (place in %AppData%/bitmonero, updated: May 3)"

ITS SUPPOSE TO BE %AppData%/ROAMING/bitmonero

Nvm, OP means run %AppData%/bitmonero to place it in AppData/ROAMING/bitmonero :fail:

██████▀ ▀███████████▀ ▀██████
████▀ ▄█▄ ▀███████▀ ▄█▄ ▀████
███▄ ▀████▄ ▀███▀ ▄████▀ ▄███
█████▄ ▀████▄ ▀ ▄████▀ ▄█████
███████▄ ▀████▄ ▀██▀ ▄███████
█████████  █████ ████████████
███████▀ ▄████▀ ▄██▄ ▀███████
█████▀ ▄████▀ ▄ ▀████▄ ▀█████
███▀ ▄████▀ ▄███▄ ▀████▄ ▀███
████▄ ▀█▀ ▄███████▄ ▀█▀ ▄████
██████▄ ▄███████████▄ ▄██████
..XIRCUS..                       ▄████▄
    ▄███▄              ██████
    █████             ▀████▀
     ▀▀▀ ▀▄         ▄▀
           ▄█████▄
           █████████
           █████████
           ▀█████▀
         ▄▀    █    ▀▄ ▄▄
       ▄▀      █      ████
▄████▄     ▄█████▄   ▀██▀
██████      ███████
 ▀▀▀▀       ▀█████▀
||
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████▀    ▐███████
███████████    ▄▄█████████
▐██████████▀    ▀▀█████████▌
▐█████████▌       █████████▌
▐███████████    ███████████▌
███████████    ███████████
██████████    ██████████
▀████████▄  ▄████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
blaaaaacksuit

Who cares?

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 11:21:02 PM

Launch issues were negligible in my eyes as far as DRK went because most miners didn't care anyway.  90% of them were out looking for another scrypt clone to point their GPUs at, CPU coins had a bit of a stigma about them at the time. 

Your opinion doesn't really detract from nor justify the fact that the reason for the instamine was due to an incorrect coding of difficulty retargeting, something that would have been realized in a testnet if it had been in a testnet for even a day.

For a guy that took the time to put x11 together, who is so intent on doing everything himself, and so intent on using the testnet -- don't you think he'd want to spend at least a day on mining it before release?

I get that the amount is negligible to a lot of people, but what's not acceptable is that I just can't believe it was an accident. Great developer overall, and a great community . . but the jumpy decisions to tie up the supply in some kind of tax or cause shocks scared me away.

Hope nothing but growth for them, but I'm too scared to go back.

I hear you, and would be more inclined to lean towards conspiracy as well, but I was observing the DRK thread from early on and he placed a few WTB orders on the board before the coin ever hit an exchange.  Why do that if you already have a secret stash?  Anyway all I was really trying to say was that for coins like DRK and MRO, ninja launch, small instamine, or whatever you want to call it will do little to scare most people off when they see how much the coin has to offer in contrast to the other 99%.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 11:23:53 PM

Anyway all I was really trying to say was that for coins like DRK and MRO, ninja launch, small instamine, or whatever you want to call it will do little to scare most people off when they see how much the coin has to offer in contrast to the other 99%.

The problem is, that does invite a clone that has everything to offer that the original does, minus the premine. The main reason MRO exists and is doing so well is the large ninja instamine by the predecessor.

You could be right that a small instamine isn't that a big deal though. 80% is a bit much.

blaaaaacksuit

Who cares?

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 11:37:38 PM

Anyway all I was really trying to say was that for coins like DRK and MRO, ninja launch, small instamine, or whatever you want to call it will do little to scare most people off when they see how much the coin has to offer in contrast to the other 99%.

The problem is, that does invite a clone that has everything to offer that the original does, minus the premine. The main reason MRO exists and is doing so well is the large ninja instamine by the predecessor.

You could be right that a small instamine isn't that a big deal though. 80% is a bit much.

Hmm.  I did not consider that but I would think a small "instamine" isn't that big of a deal as long as the MRO devs have a large enough head start with this new tech to to offset the threat of MRO clone coins released in a more "fair" manner.

I missed the mining phase of MRO but I don't really care, I was more than willing to pay what I did to obtain what I now have because I believe the coin has the potential to transcend the instamine issue and then some.
Keyboard-Mash

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 11:38:02 PM

I hear you, and would be more inclined to lean towards conspiracy as well, but I was observing the DRK thread from early on and he placed a few WTB orders on the board before the coin ever hit an exchange.  Why do that if you already have a secret stash?  Anyway all I was really trying to say was that for coins like DRK and MRO, ninja launch, small instamine, or whatever you want to call it will do little to scare most people off when they see how much the coin has to offer in contrast to the other 99%.

I guess nobody's gonna know for sure, the story is what it is and the future will be built on top of it.

What matters most is that he grew into the developer role well, and it will be great to see how all these new privatized currencies play out when new capital comes into the picture -- which is exactly what the privacy is inviting.

That, I'm excited for most. We're at the beginning of a major change on the cryptocurrency landscape, and it's more than easy to tell.
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2014, 11:48:16 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2014, 04:52:47 AM by David Latapie

Hi, the current source code on github does not compile on archlinux.

Code:
[ 61%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/connectivity_tool.dir/connectivity_tool/conn_tool.cpp.o
Linking CXX executable performance_tests
/usr/bin/ld: ../src/libcryptonote_core.a(cryptonote_format_utils.cpp.o): undefined reference to symbol 'pthread_mutexattr_settype@@GLIBC_2.2.5'
/usr/lib/libpthread.so.0: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
collect2: Fehler: ld gab 1 als Ende-Status zurück
tests/CMakeFiles/performance_tests.dir/build.make:100: recipe for target 'tests/performance_tests' failed
make[3]: *** [tests/performance_tests] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/afri/opt/bitmonero/build/debug'
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:896: recipe for target 'tests/CMakeFiles/performance_tests.dir/all' failed
make[2]: *** [tests/CMakeFiles/performance_tests.dir/all] Error 2
make[2]: *** Warte auf noch nicht beendete Prozesse...

Code:
 $ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.9.0
 $ cmake --version
cmake version 2.8.12.2
 $ pacman -Ss boost
extra/boost 1.55.0-6 [Installiert]
    Free peer-reviewed portable C++ source libraries - Development
extra/boost-libs 1.55.0-6 [Installiert]
    Free peer-reviewed portable C++ source libraries - Runtime

Any idea?

Finally someone on Arch! I have the same problem, I resorted to use tacotime binaries for Ubuntu. They worked fine, but maybe are suboptimal. I compiled fooost too. I will send you my tutorial (I am on Manjaro).

Code:
Terminal 1
1. [TERM1] Login to the machine
   ssh root@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
2. [TERM1] Create user <user> and give it root access
   adduser <user> && adduser <user> sudo
3. [TERM1] Login as him
   su <user>
4. [TERM1] Create "monero" and ".bitmonero"
   mkdir ~/monero && mkdir ~/.bitmonero
5. [TERM2] upload monero, libboost and blockchain at the right location (add libicu48 or apt-get install libicuuc) to it first
   scp ~/MRO/monero/* <user>@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:~/monero && scp ~/MRO/boost/* root@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/usr/lib && scp ~/MRO/blockchain/* <user>@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:~/.bitmonero
6. [TERM1] get the number of threads on your machine
   nproc
7. [TERM1] launch bitmonerod with the right number of threads and the right address (your address is in bitmonero_wallet.bin.address.txt on the machine you created the wallet)
   ./bitmonerod --start-mining <address> --mining-threads x
(x being your number of thread, than you can get with the "nproc" command

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 12:16:48 AM

Code:
[ 61%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/connectivity_tool.dir/connectivity_tool/conn_tool.cpp.o
/usr/bin/ld: ../src/libcryptonote_core.a(cryptonote_format_utils.cpp.o): undefined reference to symbol 'pthread_mutexattr_settype@@GLIBC_2.2.5'
tests/CMakeFiles/performance_tests.dir/build.make:100: recipe for target 'tests/performance_tests' failed
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:896: recipe for target 'tests/CMakeFiles/performance_tests.dir/all' failed

Code:
 $ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.9.0
 $ cmake --version
cmake version 2.8.12.2
 $ pacman -Ss boost

Any idea?

-lpthread is missing, see

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/pull/1

Thank you, merged into main.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
David Latapie

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2014, 12:17:26 AM

Wow, I can only hope the linux code will somehow benefit from whatever Noodle did with the Windows code.  I've got 4x Opterons that went from 2.8947 H/s to 5.000 H/s when I moved it from Ubuntu to Windows.  My E5 box with Ubuntu is doing 5.4 H/s, but I can't swap OS's on it.  Both are VPS.

+1
Please updade linux wallet to match windows performance. It is weird to have a faster windows than linux !
That's the other way around. Windows was twice slover. It is now on par with Linux.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
David Latapie

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2014, 12:19:53 AM

I'm on Xubuntu 13.10
I compiled without specifying # of threads, but I am actively mining with 8 threads.
Since I didn't specify number of threads when compiling, will there be a detrimental effect?
I have Dual Xeon 5160's at 3Ghz and am getting 14H/s when using all cores.
Yes. You only mine with one core Smiley Use the "top" command on a terminal, it should give you 99% CPU instead of around 799%.

David Latapie

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2014, 12:33:09 AM

Code:

Code:
 $ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.9.0
 $ cmake --version
cmake version 2.8.12.2
 $ pacman -Ss boost

Any idea?

-lpthread is missing, see

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/pull/1

Thank you, merged into main.

With new code, I still have errors. After I hit make;

Code:
Scanning dependencies of target connectivity_tool
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/david/monero/bitmonero/build/release'
make[3]: Entering directory '/home/david/monero/bitmonero/build/release'
[ 46%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/connectivity_tool.dir/connectivity_tool/conn_tool.cpp.o
Linking CXX executable connectivity_tool

/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/cc2yTihO.ltrans3.ltrans.o: référence au symbole non défini «pthread_mutexattr_settype@@GLIBC_2.2.5»
collect2: erreur: ld a retourné 1 code d'état d'exécution
src/CMakeFiles/connectivity_tool.dir/build.make:100: recipe for target 'src/connectivity_tool' failed
make[3]: *** [src/connectivity_tool] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/david/monero/bitmonero/build/release'
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:231: recipe for target 'src/CMakeFiles/connectivity_tool.dir/all' failed
make[2]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/connectivity_tool.dir/all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/david/monero/bitmonero/build/release'
Makefile:126: recipe for target 'all' failed
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/david/monero/bitmonero/build/release'
Makefile:20: recipe for target 'build-release' failed
make: *** [build-release] Error 2

Djinou94
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 12:41:04 AM

I have found 5 blocks now! Difficulty is way to high for me to continue mining any more though.

Someone let me know when another clone of this coin comes out. I want to get in on it right at launch.

I pm you when the next cryptonote with a fast 5days pow/pos will come. Don't need to ninja mining 2 years Wink
tacotime
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 12:44:00 AM

I have found 5 blocks now! Difficulty is way to high for me to continue mining any more though.

I pm you when the next cryptonote with a fast 5days pow/pos will come. Don't need to ninja mining 2 years Wink

Pools will be out shortly.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
tacotime
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 01:17:33 AM

Any peers who want to be hardcoded into the seed peer list, PM me.

Code:
trogdorjw73

Activity: 482
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2014, 01:27:19 AM

Where are the 0.8.6 Windows binaries? And what is the current block? I'm still downloading (at block 24K or so now) and would like to know how much longer this will take. LOL

Also, do you have to be fully synced up to start mining? I tried "start_mining 6" on my Core i7-4702MQ laptop; hashrate is showing 0.18~0.25 and CPU usage only appears to be one core (13%).

blaaaaacksuit

Who cares?

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 01:34:01 AM

Where are the 0.8.6 Windows binaries? And what is the current block? I'm still downloading (at block 24K or so now) and would like to know how much longer this will take. LOL

Also, do you have to be fully synced up to start mining? I tried "start_mining 6" on my Core i7-4702MQ laptop; hashrate is showing 0.18~0.25 and CPU usage only appears to be one core (13%).

Block 26668, did you type start mining into the simple wallet or the daemon?  Blockchain has to be synced first, the cpu usage youre seeing is probably just the daemon updating the chain.
ellen.yan

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 01:35:45 AM

Someone should send a nice email to mintpal and cryptsy so they can add monero for voting Smiley If noone does i will in a couple of days.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: