Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:46:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667052 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 07:54:29 AM

I would like to invest in some of these coins but have tried to download and install the wallet by using the new binaries link but I don't get a wallet as such just some files.

Is there an idiots guide to creating a wallet so I can buy some coins to put in it or is there far more to it than that?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.msg6586737#msg6586737

This might help.

This coin is not a bitcoin clone and so it hasnt yet a graphics interface. Its command line for now. But there is a bounty for GUI and soon there must be one...

Remember to backup your wallet once you create it!

Are you on windows or linux btw?

Thanks for your reply and the link. I've already looked through that and it doesn't make much sense to me I'm afraid, perhaps if I spend some time on it later after work it might.

Yes its the graphics interface part that I'm not used to. Must have been spoiled with all the other coins I've tinkered with Smiley.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

I dont have Windows unfortunately but i think that all you have to do is:

1. Create a text file on the folder with the files
2. Put the following in the text file:

@echo off

tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq bitmonerod.exe" 2>NUL | find /I /N "bitmonerod.exe">NUL
if not %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 (
  echo Starting node...
  start /MIN bitmonerod.exe
) else (
  echo Node already started.
)

tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq simplewallet.exe" 2>NUL | find /I /N "simplewallet.exe">NUL
if not %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 (
  if exist wallet.bin.keys (
    echo Starting previous wallet...
    start simplewallet.exe --wallet wallet.bin
  ) else (
    echo Starting new wallet...
    start simplewallet.exe --generate-new-wallet wallet.bin
  )
) else (
  echo Wallet already started.
)

3. Save as the file and where it asks you about name write start.bat
4. Then in the folder a file named start.bat will appear. Just double click it. It will ask you for a password. Put a strong one and remember it! It will be your wallets password.

That's great thank you very much.

I've now got 2 command windows open, the first one (bitmonerod.exe) looks like its downloading the blockchain (black background with yellow scrolling text) and the second window (simplewallet.exe) has my wallet info at the top and a command prompt ([wallet ******]Smiley.

I assume that I now just have to wait for the blockchain to download?

Also, once you have the daemon synced you can start mining right from the wallet. Here's the mining guide (you've already done most of the first setup steps).

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.msg6586737#msg6586737

Be patient when mining! You might not get anything right away.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 07:54:41 AM

Someone (C++ skilled) did private optimized miner a few days ago, he got 74H/s for i5 haswell. He pointed that mining code was very unoptimized and he did essential improvements for yourself. So, high H/S is possible yet.
Can the dev's core review code for that?

Let me explain a bit about how open source works. Anyone is free to contribute. The lead developer and core team reviews the proposed changes and either adopts them or not. There is at least one of the core team who does work on optimization, and posted some optimizations. I would not be surprised if he develops further optimizations as well.

So if you have proposed code changes, please submit them. Some sort of statement -- backed up by zero evidence -- about a unicorn miner that someone has is not helpful. Every altcoin has these "Kaiser Soze" miners who supposedly have much faster mining code than everybody else. Sometimes it's true and sometimes it isn't. We can't force anyone to contribute their code.

The PoW algorithm needs to be highly optimized from public launch.

Also IMHO, closed source on the PoW algorithm would be best until several weeks of ramp up is complete so clones are too far behind.

Open source is a very effective paradigm for refining (because of the Linus law, "given enough eyeballs, every bug or refinement is shallow"), but it is not as effective at innovation because innovation requires pride+ownership (in one's work), investment of effort, and most of all leadership. Eric Raymond (the creator of the term "open source") opened a discussion on this last year (see the comments):

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=4946 (Adobe in cloud-cuckoo land)

For example, how do you plan to decentralize pools? You will need some innovative leadership on an algorithm for that, lest you end up same as Bitcoin with two pools controlling greater than 50% of the network hash power.

Ditto making mining easy enough for grandma to do. Etc.

Does anyone know of any innovative project (created many new killer features) that was created by open source (and not open sourced after those innovative features were completed)?

Btw, Russians are very astute at algorithmic optimization:

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=4901 (National styles in hacking)

Unfortunately, I fear you're preaching to deaf ears.  I don't believe many of the folks here understand the importance of the features you're speaking of.  I've stated more than once upthread that mining should be so easy grandma can do it. Pool sizes need to be limited or pools made unnecessary altogether. Transaction fees need to disappear. A fixed money supply won't work long term. I've been saying it. Few listen.

Anonymint, a truly anonymous cpu-only-forever coin would be great, but such features are useless if the community can't even create a currency capable of sustaining itself, let alone remaining decentralized. "One foot before the other" I suppose is what I'm trying to say.
Keyboard-Mash

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 08:16:37 AM

Hey guys, with all the confusion that's been about recently I think it's time to consider settling on a logo that we can use to easily identify ourselves. This would be a major step in sustainability.

I've made a whole lot of comments in the logo thread, and with the current submissions so far I'd like to vote for this one:

http://s25.postimg.org/nsap3qqjz/monero242.png
jeepyey

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 08:17:34 AM

When out of the trading platform?
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 08:22:19 AM

It is going to be a little while. This is not a bitcoin clone so its not just a matter of adding yet one more cookie cutter coin with the same API. It is real work for exchanges to support. Work is being done, be patient.

Meanwhile, we do have a trading thread. Come check it out. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=578192.0
Keyboard-Mash

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 08:26:07 AM

Yes, Smooth has been running a very trustworthy OTC forum exchange that I highly recommend. If you check his trust ratings, you will see a comment from me for how much BTC he held in escrow for me.
yshuifejng

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 08:35:23 AM

I accidentally browse to this thread, found a very attractive item. wow..., what a coincidence, today just also released wallet, I want to download.

I like free distribution      CoolCoin - Free+IPO POS. CJ5pCML7uAMDvgT514pwFvwB1ZzvxeoNPF  TheSmurfsCoin. TZxXFT6CJ8p7LHSaM8mWQtqveejzvpEusu       [ANN] PixxCoin | PoS | Wallet with built in Exchange Dice Game And Fa | Free IPO       Get GiveawayCoin(GC)? (Free 100%NO IPO NO POW,PURE POS. G*********      ShareCoin Free and Fair Distribution.   Let's flower the moon.     Coffeecoin- 100% FREE Distribution    FootballCoin(FBC):FXf6Xy5hof6GJZZhC9B5TkBi7kKKojusde   Freebiescoin- 100% Free Distribution.       Energycoin - Save Energy, Pure POS (Free IPO).
Buratino
Legendary

Activity: 1151
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 08:38:45 AM

I decided to tidy up bitmonero GitHub rep tonight, so now there is all valuable things from latest BCN commits & Win32. Faster hash from quazarcoin is also there. So BMR rep is the freshest one.

You may check it: https://github.com/bitmonero-project/bitmonero

Latest update of binaries are available at www.bitmonero.org now.
Win64
Win32
Ubuntu
MacOS

I'm working on another good feature now, so stay tuned.

How can we understand this?
BMR is revamped as individual coin? I think we don't need two the same coins.
Site http://bitmonero.org/ lives now and there is a new binaries. Seems thankful_for_today is working very actively.
What does it mean?
Is it unable to reach agreement between thankful_for_today and Monero core team?
Please clarify the situation.

Keyboard-Mash

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 08:40:52 AM

I accidentally browse to this thread, found a very attractive item. wow..., what a coincidence, today just also released wallet, I want to download.

Awesome! Welcome! I hope you enjoy your time in this thread Smiley

It means a lot to have new people come in.

When you have everything downloaded and ready to go, feel free to send me a PM with your wallet address. I will send you 2 MRO.

The same goes for up to the first five people per day reading this who would like to send me a message. I'll do this for the next 7 days.
Keyboard-Mash

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 08:49:07 AM

What does it mean?
Is it unable to reach agreement between Thankful_fot_Today and Monero core team?
Please clarify the situation.

I'm unaware of TFT's intentions. I do know that I chose to trust the binaries only in the OP of this thread, and any other link that surfaces there.

I'm comfortable not knowing the answer to your question, but hope people continue to file into this thread as there seems to be many great folks here.

Actually, I'd like to quote Gavin Anderson here:

Quote from: Gavin Anderson

1) Can it possibly work (do the ideas for how it works make sense)?
2) Is it a scam?
3) If it is not a scam, could it open my computer up to viruses/trojans if I run it?

I answered those questions by:

1) Reading and understanding Satoshi's whitepaper.  Then thinking about it for a day or two and reading it again.
2) Finding out everything I could about the project.  I read every forum thread here (there were probably under a hundred threads back then) and read Satoshi's initial postings on the crypto mailing list.
3) Downloaded and skimmed the source code to see if it looked vulnerable to buffer overflow or other remotely exploitable attacks.

If I were going to experiment with an alternative block-chain, I'd go through the same process again. But I'm an old conservative fuddy-duddy.

I'm sure, if you need to have your question answered it can be done by following those steps.

randomlygenerated

Activity: 26

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 09:39:33 AM

Awesome! Welcome! I hope you enjoy your time in this thread Smiley

It means a lot to have new people come in.

When you have everything downloaded and ready to go, feel free to send me a PM with your wallet address. I will send you 2 MRO.

The same goes for up to the first five people per day reading this who would like to send me a message. I'll do this for the next 7 days.

Just want to say thanks to Keyboard-Mash for my first Monero transaction - definitely a good guy here! Look forward to being part of this community with you all as the coin grows. Smiley
Sy
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Bounty Detective

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 10:04:10 AM
Last edit: May 09, 2014, 10:15:50 AM by Sy

I decided to tidy up bitmonero GitHub rep tonight, so now there is all valuable things from latest BCN commits & Win32. Faster hash from quazarcoin is also there. So BMR rep is the freshest one.

You may check it: https://github.com/bitmonero-project/bitmonero

Latest update of binaries are available at www.bitmonero.org now.
Win64
Win32
Ubuntu
MacOS

I'm working on another good feature now, so stay tuned.
Hashrate went from 24 to 12... i7-4770k @4GHz, 7 threads, win8.1 x64

Switching back to 0.8.5 for now

BOUNTY DETECTIVE