Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:17:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive RockMiner R3-Box Setup [HD]  (Read 22015 times)
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 01:44:04 AM
Last edit: December 12, 2015, 07:49:26 AM by dogie
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Dogie's Miner Setup Guides:
    ASICMiner Blade
ASICMiner Cube
ASICMiner Tube
ASICMiner Prisma
Avalon Avalon2
Avalon Avalon3
Avalon Avalon4
Avalon Avalon6
SpondooliesTech SP10
SpondooliesTech SP20
SpondooliesTech SP30
SpondooliesTech SP35
Technobit HEX16B
Technobit HEX8A1
Technobit HEX4M
Technobit 2HEX4M
KNCMiner Saturn/Jupiter
Bitmain AntMiner S1
Bitmain AntMiner S2
Bitmain AntMiner S3
Bitmain AntMiner S4
Bitmain AntMiner S4+
Bitmain AntMiner S5
Bitmain AntMiner S7
Bitmain AntMiner C1
Bitmain AntMiner U3
RockMiner R-Box
RockMiner New R-Box
RockMiner R3-Box
RockMiner T1
HashCoins Apollo
HashCoins Ares
NonceTech Sampo
Yiazo YBF
BTCGarden AMV1
Bitmine Coincraft Desk V2
HashRatio Tsunami
XBTech Pacific 1250
BitCrane T-110
Black Arrow Prospero X1
AMT 1.25TH
C-Scape HexFury USB
C-Scape BiFury USB
MoonlightMiner NanoFury II USB
    Gigampz PSU breakout board

Guide meta thread
    DefaultTrust Visualisation
    Power Supply analysis guide
    Manufacturer trustworthiness guide
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nicely formatted version available at dogiecoin.com!

Contents:
0a) What to Expect
0b) What You Need
1) Powering
2) Cooling
3) Case
4) Configuration
5) Troubleshooting
6) Where to buy

0a) What to Expect (top)
The RockMiner R3-Box is the evolution of the short lived RK-Box and is definitely an improvement. 36 ASICMiner BE200 chips are distributed across 2 mining
in a blade style arrangement, compared with with the RK-Box's cube style. A Raspberry Pi, USB hub and cabling is included to produce a self contained solution.

Chips36x ASICMiner Gen3
Hashrate~460GH
Rated Voltage12V
Rated Current38A
Power.Consumption500W

0b) What You Need (top)
You will need a few accessories and a power supply to get started.

Click your flag to find everything you need to get started at Amazon!             

1) Powering (top)
R3-Boxes do not come with a power supply, and you will need a typical computer PSU with 4xPCI-E 6 pin power connectors.  We also need to tell the PSU to
always be on, as there isn't a motherboard to do this. Cut a paper clip into a U and insert it into the green wire and either black wire to the side of the green
wire. Tape it up for safety. The power supply will now be controlled by its switch on the rear socket.

2) Cooling (top)
The R3-Box is self sufficient in cooling terms and utilises custom aluminium finned heatsinks on the front and back of the boards. A 120mm NMB MAT
4715KL-04W-B56 fan blows through the heatsinks and is rather loud. The second set of heatsinks are about 10C hotter than the first due to the layout,
which can be corrected by the addition of a quiet 120mm fan at the other end of the miner. Once we get software control of the original can, we can then tone
down the speed of original fan without impacting cooling performance. Its worth noting that the fan header is 4 pin but with a split pin configuration, and
so not all normal fans can be used.

3) Case (top)
An open steel case is used as the frame, and comprises of just two end stands. Units are adding significant strength to the miner. Units are only stackable
when mounted on their sides due to the interference of the PCI-E and Raspberry Pi wires. Each miner measures 400 x 170 x 190mm, weighs 4.5kg and 5.5kg
when shipped and packed.

4) Configuration (top)
R3-Boxes can be run using CGMiner on a host Windows PC, however as they come with a Raspberry Pi the guide will concentrate on this.

Wiring:
  • Plug in the SD card into the Raspberry Pi.
  • Plug in mini USB to USB cable from the central USB hub to the Raspberry Pi.
  • Unscrew the two golden standoffs on the fan end of the miner and slide the Raspberry Pi onto it. Rescrew in the standoffs to secure the Pi in place.
  • Plug in the four green standoff boards (green rectangles with two rows of pins on the back). The texts on each board should be upright. Units
    may ship with these already on.
  • Plug in the four white USB cables from the USB hub to the white 4 pin header on these standoff boards. Note, DO NOT plug the cable into the mining
    board directly, it will not work (see pictures below if unsure).
  • Plug in the black cable from one of the 4 pin headers ON the mining board directly onto the Raspberry Pi's outermost six pins. The red wire should
    face away from the Pi. This cable is acting as the power cable for the Raspberry Pi and no external power is required.
  • Plug in the four PCI-E cables to the miner.

Software:
  • Power on the power supply using its switch at the back.
  • Using a browser, navigate to 192.168.1.254 - this goes to the R3-Box's configuration page.
  • Navigate to the page "Set IP". Enter your desired IP address if you want to change, and your gateway (router) address if it is not correct. Click Update.
  • Using a browser, navigate to the IP you have just set, or back to 192.168.1.254if unchanged.
  • Navigate to the page "Pools". Enter your pool information in the below format. Click "Update" and then "Restart".
  • Navigate to the page "Sync Time" and select your time zone. Click "Update".
  • Navigate to the page "Home" to check mining has started.

Antpool Register!
Code:
Servers : stratum.antpool.com:3333
User    : username.worker or username_worker - auto creates workers!
Password: anypassword
BTCGuild Register!
Code:
Servers : stratum.btcguild.com:3333
User    : username_worker
GHash IO Register!
Code:
Servers : us1.ghash.io:3333
User    : username.worker  - auto creates workers!

5) Troubleshooting (top)
ProblemSolution
How.can.I.upgrade.to.the.latest.firmware?- Download an SSH client and install it onto a Windows PC. Open it, and enter the IP of the miner (192.168.1.254 etc).
Press open, okay to any popup message and login with the username "root" and password "rockminer".
Type "nano upgrade.sh", and then make sure the following lines are as follows:

#!/bin/sh
cd /root
git clone https://github.com/rockminerinc/RockWeb.git
cp /root/RockWeb/* /usr/share/nginx/www/ -avpf
rm -rf /root/RockWeb

Press ctrl+x to save and exit afterwards. Type "chmod 777 upgrade.sh" and "./upgrade.sh" to issue the upgrade to
your miner. Do not interrupt the process.

Legal disclaimer: This information is for general guidance and does not constitute expert advice. We are not responsible if you, your property or a third
party is injured or damaged as a result of any interaction with this information, and no warranty is provided. All text and images are covered by copyright.

6) Where to buy (top)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 02:03:19 AM

Could you add a step on how to image an sd card for an R3 please?
Chris_Sabian
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 02:35:52 AM

Another excellent guide by Dogie.

He / She / They are the go to people on forum for setting up your new miner.
Billbags

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Brainwashed this way

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 03:20:33 AM

Will that firmware update work for the rk-Box also? They are basicly the same 4 blades.

Listen: meat beat manifesto ~ Edge of no control (pt.1)
Read:"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past." ~ George Orwell
Think: http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-dawn-of-trustworthy-computing.html
Meech

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 03:30:18 AM

Woof!  S1 on steroids.  Great Job, nice camera abeit expensive camera.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 03:32:21 AM

Will that firmware update work for the rk-Box also? They are basicly the same 4 blades.

Maybe, would take about 10 minutes to try if you've got an RK (which I don't), if we can track down an image file for this. I might have to rip one.

Could you add a step on how to image an sd card for an R3 please?

Will do if I can get an official copy of the SD card from somewhere. Cant find it on the repositories yet.

Spotswood

Activity: 512

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 03:58:45 AM

You wrote:
Units are only stackable when mounted on their sides due to the interference of the PCI-E and Raspberry Pi wires.

There's no way to route all of the wires through the end pieces?

Glizlack

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 08:52:05 AM

dogie,

thanks for another great review. Any idea what the upgrades are compared to the rocket box? Seems by looking at the pictures they cleaned up the design a bit. Any other real world things?

Steve

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
klintay
Legendary

Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032

Value will be measured in sats

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 02:16:49 PM

Can we not use normal USB mini to usb cables or do we have to use USB-MCU cable to connect up the boards?
bobsag3

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 02:29:09 PM

dogie,

thanks for another great review. Any idea what the upgrades are compared to the rocket box? Seems by looking at the pictures they cleaned up the design a bit. Any other real world things?

Steve

Nope, no other changes.
klintay
Legendary

Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032

Value will be measured in sats

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 04:38:15 PM

They have done something because these babies are tons more stable. No need to wait 1-2 hours to warm up. Straight out of the gate i am getting 490 - 500 gh/s on mine with no configuration. Simply plug and play. Here are some pictures:

Screenshot of cgminer in webUI:

infact i think these will top 500+ GH no problem. This is the real Antminer S3 Killer right here!!!

Dogie, sorry i know my camera is not up to much but i had to share this!
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 05:02:19 PM

You wrote:
Units are only stackable when mounted on their sides due to the interference of the PCI-E and Raspberry Pi wires.

There's no way to route all of the wires through the end pieces?

Not if you want to use the onboard hub. Strictly the unit is already on its side as pictured, so its not really a problem at all. Look at the end pieces and where the screws are for the correct orientation and stacking.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 05:02:24 PM

Can we not use normal USB mini to usb cables or do we have to use USB-MCU cable to connect up the boards?

I'm not sure, I can't see any reason why you couldn't use the mini to usb directly (not tried it) as that's all its doing anyway. You do need the little green standoff PCB though, it doesn't work directly to the mining card.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 05:43:15 PM

infact i think these will top 500+ GH no problem. This is the real Antminer S3 Killer right here!!!

Look at your reject rate, you won't be getting that at the pool.

Swimmer63
Legendary

Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 05:48:56 PM

Can you clarify what you mean by Antminer S3 killer?
TrekRider

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 06:21:50 PM

It doesn't mean anything at this point given the 10%+ rejects...

I'd be willing to bet the S3 doesn't have this problem when it's released and actual hashrates will be comparable.
BetMoose

Activity: 372

Real Bets. Real People. By Anyone, on anything

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 07:05:25 PM

It doesn't mean anything at this point given the 10%+ rejects...

I'd be willing to bet the S3 doesn't have this problem when it's released and actual hashrates will be comparable.

Put it up on https://www.betmoose.com and see if there are any takers - sounds like a good bet to me!

BetMoose.com - Wager on real world events. Profit from predicting the future. Create and share your own contracts.
mstrongbow

Activity: 322

3D Printed!

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 07:13:57 PM

Anyone know if the RK/R3 miners can be connected to a Windows PC via USB?
I guess it couldn't hurt to try eh?

Bitcoin-Scratchticket.com       Win Bitcoin Playing Scratchtickets        Provably Fair   
*Got LootCrate?*
*My Stuff For Sale thread/s*   www.CryptoCause.org   Ask me about SEGMining Hosting!
"Don't undertake a project unless it is manifestly important and nearly impossible" - Edwin Land
TrekRider

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 07:15:19 PM

Yes, they can.  There's info in one of the other rockminer threads...will dig it up for you when I get a minute.
mstrongbow

Activity: 322

3D Printed!

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 07:39:07 PM

Yes, they can.  There's info in one of the other rockminer threads...will dig it up for you when I get a minute.

Thanks mate, you rock! I have so much going on right now I am almost in system overload mode! ack Shocked Shocked Shocked

Bitcoin-Scratchticket.com       Win Bitcoin Playing Scratchtickets        Provably Fair   
*Got LootCrate?*
*My Stuff For Sale thread/s*   www.CryptoCause.org   Ask me about SEGMining Hosting!
"Don't undertake a project unless it is manifestly important and nearly impossible" - Edwin Land
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: