Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:49:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 1520 1521 1522 1523 1524 1525 1526 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1532 1533 1534 1535 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 1547 1548 1549 1550 1551 [1552] 1553 1554 1555 1556 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:17:56 AM

Satoshis recent comments were right and I agree that bitcoin wasnt designed to be at the whim of central authority which is what it is trying to destroy. So with that im with bitcoin original thick or thin.

You're joking, right?
Is there anyone that really thinks that Satoshi wrote that?
Even though I largely agree with what was written, it should be considered simply "anonymous".

The beauty of the message is precisely the presence of plausible deniability so as to let the ideas stand on their own

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sAt0sHiFanClub

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 07:01:34 AM

Satoshis recent comments were right and I agree that bitcoin wasnt designed to be at the whim of central authority which is what it is trying to destroy. So with that im with bitcoin original thick or thin.

Central authority like the bitcoin core devs?

The core devs have historically worked using a consensus based model of decision making. Gavin & Mike are the ones attempting to force through a contentious fork.

Historically, perhaps. But that was history, and that was certainly before Blockstream. Now their interest is to preserve a bottleneck in Bitcoin that makes up the only value proposition for their sidechain alt coins. They have $21m reasons to fight this.

And as people begin to realise this, they are getting behind the fork, something most (including me) wouldn't have countenanced just a few months ago.

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
brg444

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 07:08:09 AM

The core devs have historically worked using a consensus based model of decision making. Gavin & Mike are the ones attempting to force through a contentious fork.

Historically, perhaps. But that was history, and that was certainly before Blockstream. Now their interest is to preserve a bottleneck in Bitcoin that makes up the only value proposition for their sidechain alt coins. They have $21m reasons to fight this.

And as people begin to realise this, they are getting behind the fork, something most (including me) wouldn't have countenanced just a few months ago.

Thank you for yet another demonstration of your group's lazy argumentation

The fact that this debate has turned very early on into character assassination and personality contests tells the whole story.

Gavin, Mike & their supporters have made it a political battle that necessarily undermine their arguments and ultimately weaken their position.

About sidechains: they will be of very little use under current block size constraints so you're really grasping at straws here.

You'd think they are goddamned stubborn at Blockstream. Why worry about innovating zero-knowledge proof to scale their sidechain when we can just inflate the block size to infinity!

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
brg444

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 07:11:05 AM

Explain how this works exactly.  Will gavin and Mike visit each miner, put a gun to their head, and force them to switch to XT.  Explain what mechanism they will use to force miners and users to upgrade to XT against their will.

The issue is not whether they will succeed or not. It's about undermining the value of the original decision model using fear & propaganda.

The original decision model Satoshi designed is consensus through POW based mining as representative of individual voting.

You think consensus among devs somehow means something, it doesn't.

The reason you and others are throwing so much venom at XT is you are fighting bitcoin's built in consensus mechanism, thinking it should be something its not.

Maybe you tell that to your friend Mike

sAt0sHiFanClub

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 07:12:19 AM

The issue is not whether they will succeed or not.

Obvious fallacy. Thats the only thing its about. Its about wresting control from a compromised few to the many.

Quote from: brg444
It's about undermining the value of the original decision model using fear & propaganda.

Thats exactly what you are trying to do - your just not doing it very well anymore. As a shill, I'm afraid you really need to up your game.

Everything you have written is designed to instill fear - it just doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Calm and informed rebuttals are weakening your case with every post.

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
brg444

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 07:14:19 AM

The issue is not whether they will succeed or not.

Obvious fallacy. Thats the only thing its about. Its about wresting control from a compromised few to the many.

Quote from: brg444
It's about undermining the value of the original decision model using fear & propaganda.

Thats exactly what you are trying to do - your just not doing it very well anymore. As a shill, I'm afraid you really need to up your game.

Everything you have written is designed to instill fear - it just doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Calm and informed rebuttals are weakening your case with every post.

See post above. It's more about wrestling control from a compromised few to..... Mike Hearn.

Now about accusations of being compromised, let's compare the facts : http://trilema.com/2013/and-gavin-moves-on-to-the-dark-side-the-bitcoin-project-is-officially-hijacked/

hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 07:15:50 AM

Gavin Andresen On Future Blockchain Security: I Dunno LOL!

http://qntra.net/2015/01/gavin-andresen-on-future-blockchain-security-i-dunno-lol/#comment-7830

So how will blockchain security get paid for in the future?

I honestly don't know.

fuck you gavin.
brg444

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 07:18:41 AM

See post above. It's more about wrestling control from a compromised few to..... Mike Hearn.

Now about accusations of being compromised, let's compare the facts : http://trilema.com/2013/and-gavin-moves-on-to-the-dark-side-the-bitcoin-project-is-officially-hijacked/

Bruce Wagner : When was the last time you chatted to satoshi

Gavin Andresen: Um… I haven't had email from satoshi in a couple months actually. The last email I sent him I actually told him I was going to talk at the CIA. So it's possible , that…. that may have um had something to with his deciding.

Possible ?  Roll Eyes

sAt0sHiFanClub

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 07:19:11 AM

Another powerful point not made. Its right up there with your false "Bitcoin is already sidechain readytm!!' claim

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 07:24:51 AM

I don't think Blockstream has a deliberate financial agenda to mess up Bitcoin or hold it hostage.

I do think the founders of Blockstream (mostly gmaxwell and adam3us; the perspectives of the others are somewhat less apparent) have (and, importantly, had; see next paragraph) a different vision for how Bitcoin is supposed to work. Different, that is, from most of the community and also from satoshi's public writings (including the white paper).

Here's where things get a bit complicated because their vision for how Bitcoin is supposed to work has in part motivated the creation of the business and the requirements to realize that vision are the needs they aim to satisfy with their business plan.

But claiming they want to do such and such to Bitcoin because it makes their business succeed is reversing the actual causality.

I may be completely wrong, but probably not.

brg444

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 07:24:55 AM

Another powerful point not made. Its right up there with your false "Bitcoin is already sidechain readytm!!' claim

https://github.com/ElementsProject/elementsproject.github.io

sAt0sHiFanClub

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 07:25:33 AM

It's more about wrestling control from a compromised few to..... Mike Hearn.

At least you are now starting to accept that point that they are compromised. Some progress finally.

I really dont value the opinion of that guy to spend time on that blog. I'm aware of him - that is sufficient.

sAt0sHiFanClub

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 07:28:43 AM

https://github.com/ElementsProject/elementsproject.github.io

It doesnt work on bitcoin.  It uses federated peg servers to fake the functionality ( contract like scripts) until they can shoehorn it into bitcoin.
Nothing these guys are doing at the moment is above PoC level. Its interesting, its just not ready.

brg444

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 07:29:58 AM

I don't think Blockstream has a deliberate financial agenda to mess up Bitcoin or hold it hostage.

I do think the founders of Blockstream (mostly gmaxwell and adam3us; the perspectives of the others are somewhat less apparent) have (and, importantly, had; see next paragraph) a different vision for how Bitcoin is supposed to work. Different, that is, from most of the community and also from satoshi's public writings (including the white paper).

Here's where things get a bit complicated because their vision for how Bitcoin is supposed to work has in part motivated the creation of the business and the requirements to realize that vision are the needs they aim to satisfy with their business plan.

But claiming they want to do such and such to Bitcoin because it makes their business succeed is reversing the actual casualty.

Never have I seen sidechains be proposed as an actual solution to scaling Bitcoin so I'm not certain how that holds true.

If my understanding is correct the proofs used in their concept to move coins between chains are in fact competing with transactions for space in blocks so it makes absolutely no sense to propose they profit from undue advantage by restricting block growth.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 07:30:33 AM

But claiming they want to do such and such to Bitcoin because it makes their business succeed is reversing the actual casualty.

Never have I seen sidechains be proposed as an actual solution to scaling Bitcoin so I'm not certain how that holds true.

If my understanding is correct the proofs used in their concept to move coins between chains are in fact competing with transactions for space in blocks so it makes absolutely no sense to propose they profit from undue advantage by restricting block growth.

The word scaling did not appear in my post. Nor did I claim they propose to profit (undue or otherwise) by restricting block growth.

Read it again, slowly and carefully, if you are in fact not a paid or brainwashed shill and and want to understand what is going on. From my perspective that is around 50/50.
brg444

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 07:41:17 AM

The word scaling did not appear in my post. Nor did I claim they propose to profit (undue or otherwise) by restricting block growth.

Read it again, slowly and carefully, if you are in fact not a paid or brainwashed shill and and want to understand what is going on. From my perspective that is around 50/50.

By difference in their vision for how Bitcoin work are you referring to their opinion that the network cannot possibly scale to accommodate the infinite demand for transactions without irreparably damaging its decentralized nature?

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 07:48:16 AM

By difference in their vision for how Bitcoin work are you referring to their opinion that the network cannot possibly scale to accommodate the infinite demand for transactions without irreparably damaging its decentralized nature?

Yes, in part.
brg444

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 07:52:23 AM

Yes, in part.

From where I stand it always seemed to me Blockstream was about scaling the features of Bitcoin, not its capacity, so I'm not certain how this conflicts with their position on the block size debate.

sAt0sHiFanClub

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 08:05:50 AM

From where I stand it always seemed to me Blockstream was about scaling the features of Bitcoin, not its capacity, so I'm not certain how this conflicts with their position on the block size debate.

Read page 1, section 1 of the LN white paper. For large scale payments, it says that bitcoin is not fit for purpose, and we need something else. It says nothing about scaling the features of bitcoin,  just how bitcoin can be used to support LN, which would be a separate system.

IOW, their value proposition is based on the limits of bitcoin.

Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 08:09:34 AM

You - brg444 - captured this thread with 18 (!) posts this morning alone. Not funny. Do you really think it's necessary that you comment everything?
Pages: « 1 ... 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 1520 1521 1522 1523 1524 1525 1526 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1532 1533 1534 1535 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 1547 1548 1549 1550 1551 [1552] 1553 1554 1555 1556 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: