Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:15:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 [869] 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312365 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 03:49:11 PM

Really, I was about to buy more as a early investor been waiting for a while.

/Globb

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 03:52:52 PM

Monero is nice but will get hit so hard when Zerocash launches that you will all regret not getting out when you had the chance.

Meh, stop spreading FUD please. Readers might be interested in the following threads:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/41vg68/monero_vs_zcash_eli5_fundamental_differences/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/4bu212/zcash_enables_the_highest_level_of_privacy/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/48nf4o/the_zcash_catch_monero_mentioned/

https://blog.okturtles.com/2016/03/the-zcash-catch/

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 04:06:33 PM

im more concerned about monero's security when quantum computing makes a breakthrough..  Tongue

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2016, 04:22:24 PM

Are there any good threads, sites or books dedicated to this subject? I'm between chapbooks and my new obsession is learning how a trustelessly decentralized cryptosystem would look in theory and in practice.

It is more like the story is being written as we speak and Monero is the only coin in the top 20 by by market capitalization that has a solution. The question of a market based solution to scalability and the related issue of spam was not part of Bitcoin's initial design. The 1 MB blocksize was added to Bitcoin in 2010 as an anti spam "temporary" fix. Virtually every other coin has copied Bitcoin on this and inherited the problem.

Edit: My take is that the Monero community will likely write the book on the subject.

While I don't disagree, I'd like to better follow the story as it's being written.  Wink

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 04:33:49 PM

im more concerned about monero's security when quantum computing makes a breakthrough..  Tongue

I have a feeling that we have more important things to worry about in that case.

Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2016, 05:22:14 PM

im more concerned about monero's security when quantum computing makes a breakthrough..  Tongue

I have a feeling that we have more important things to worry about in that case.

and/or maybe not!
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 05:25:33 PM

im more concerned about monero's security when quantum computing makes a breakthrough..  Tongue

and/or maybe not!

Hey at least we can finally see Satoshi moving his coins :-P

sandiman

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 06:08:42 PM

Is it really risky to loan XMR (or other cryptocurrencies) ? how likely is it that someone won't pay you back?

If you have no collateral and you are giving out a personal loan it is very likely not to get your money back.
However, if you have collateral you significiantly lower the risk of default. Yes you might have some risk (like the collateral is not good enough in case of forced liquidation) or the service operator will go to bankcrupt (like Gox did with btc).

How does it work with the collateral in Poloniex ? is it possible to have one but get a lower interest rate (I don't have account there and lending would be the only reason)? thanks for the help.

https://poloniex.com/support/aboutMarginTrading/

Thank you for that.

I had a look and I am now checking the loan markets, which has hardly demand for all the coins present. Is this normal or I checked at the wrong time?

Various enormously depending on market conditions.

Thank you for the quick answer. I will keep an eye on the lending market from now on.

I am using lending market to analyze the overall atmosphere. When rates  are low it means the shorter community thinks the price is low and odds for further decline are  limited.

Hi, being very new to lending market, I was wondering how to determine when rates are low? I believe poloniex does not show a historic of the rate ?
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 08:06:08 PM

Is it really risky to loan XMR (or other cryptocurrencies) ? how likely is it that someone won't pay you back?

If you have no collateral and you are giving out a personal loan it is very likely not to get your money back.
However, if you have collateral you significiantly lower the risk of default. Yes you might have some risk (like the collateral is not good enough in case of forced liquidation) or the service operator will go to bankcrupt (like Gox did with btc).

How does it work with the collateral in Poloniex ? is it possible to have one but get a lower interest rate (I don't have account there and lending would be the only reason)? thanks for the help.

https://poloniex.com/support/aboutMarginTrading/

Thank you for that.

I had a look and I am now checking the loan markets, which has hardly demand for all the coins present. Is this normal or I checked at the wrong time?

Various enormously depending on market conditions.

Thank you for the quick answer. I will keep an eye on the lending market from now on.

I am using lending market to analyze the overall atmosphere. When rates  are low it means the shorter community thinks the price is low and odds for further decline are  limited.

Hi, being very new to lending market, I was wondering how to determine when rates are low? I believe poloniex does not show a historic of the rate ?

Personally I consider a low rate at a rate that is below inflation. Inflation with XMR is almost 0.1  daily so below that is low and higher than this gives you some real return over inflation as well.

However, XMR is in so early stage that this type of analysis might be irrelevant and more in academic level than in practical level.
Mr Felt

Activity: 493
Merit: 518

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 08:58:11 PM

Good and substantive info in those threads, thanks for posting those.

Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2016, 09:15:34 PM

Too many smart players and knowledge of the playing field for starters but you could right a whole whitepaper on XMR trading patterns and still nothing can be predict the future analytics of it.

That's absolutely right, due to the simple fact that the activity of we humans are unpredictable when they're agglomerated into a single process like a market. We ordinarily act "at the margin," which means that we act according to what's in front of us at the time. How we act two years from now, to a great extent, depends upon what relevant facts are extant two years from now. There's no such thing as a "fact from the future."

With ordinary goods and services, this point isn't a big deal. But when it comes to investments, it is a big deal even though investments vary stability-wise. (There's a very good chance that a boring old electric-utility company will still be doin' its thing fifty years from now.)

But when it comes to a speculative asset, whose value depends on its utility in the future, this point is a really big deal. Who in 2010 had any idea that Bitcoin would be >$1000 at the beginning of 2014? And who at the beginning of 2014 had any idea that Bitcoin would be ~$450 on April 22, 2016?

The efficient-market hypothesis, which says that all future market moves are random and implies that predicting markets is nothing more than falling into the Gamers' Fallacy, it not accurate but it's wise. Believing that it's true, if only as a cautionary, does wise you up.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

sandiman

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 10:23:37 PM

Personally I consider a low rate at a rate that is below inflation. Inflation with XMR is almost 0.1  daily so below that is low and higher than this gives you some real return over inflation as well.

However, XMR is in so early stage that this type of analysis might be irrelevant and more in academic level than in practical level.

Ok thank you again for the precious help Grin
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4891

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 11:20:22 PM

Really, I was about to buy more as a early investor been waiting for a while.

/Globb

Actually it will be quite the opposite. Once everyone that is waiting on it starts to look into they will find Monero and once you compare the two there is a clear choice and it's not Vaporware at the moment.

It's called "Planned Hard Forks". And once that happens there will be a serious issue throughout the entire world. And that is why the NSA will release a new suite. The only issue will be waiting on credible cryptographers to vet the new offerings for those insidious backdoors. and in the mean time suite B should be tough enough to hold back a first generation of QC.

For some reason XMR holders are morons when it comes to lending. BTC,ETH are at about .04% while dumb ass XMR lenders are fighting with each other below .01! Of course who would short XMR right now

https://www.poloniex.com/lending#XMR

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
TechorMarketing

Activity: 174
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 11:26:18 PM

For some reason XMR holders are morons when it comes to lending. BTC,ETH are at about .04% while dumb ass XMR lenders are fighting with each other below .01! Of course who would short XMR right now

https://www.poloniex.com/lending#XMR

It is pretty crazy. At some point (at very low interest rates) the risk of loss (account or exchange hacking, sudden market crash resulting in insufficient collateral for loan repayment, etc) is too much to make lending worthwhile.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2016, 12:12:34 AM

If Bitcoin had allowed the blocksize to grow back in 2012 - 2013, the Chinese ASIC manufacturer's would have been forced to sell their ASICs for export rather than operate them themselves locally and this would have prevented the concentration of Bitcoin mining in China.

This is just not true for numerous reasons.  You're basically saying we needed to spam blocks with bogus transactions for years on end to prevent an ASIC empire from growing in China.  If a larger block size existed allowing people to do things like this, people would have implemented something like a hard coded min transaction fee or just lowered block size to fight against it.  ASICs in China isn't a big problem because it's just a symptom of everything on earth being manufactured in China.  This will inevitably cease to exist through either tariffs or war.

The Sinophobic Yellow Peril nonsense isn't supposed to be true, it's supposed to be an indictment of the ostensibly horrible job Core is doing.

The other untrue part of his post was a regurgitated talking point about 1MB "stagnating."

The "Ode to 1MB Stagnation" song playing on AM's tiny violin get funnier the more obviously at odds to reality it becomes.

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7910

*STAGNATION INTENSIFIES*

Tongue

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
April 23, 2016, 12:18:41 AM

The other untrue part of his post was a regurgitated talking point about 1MB "stagnating."

The "Ode to 1MB Stagnation" song playing on AM's tiny violin get funnier the more obviously at odds to reality it becomes.

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7910

*STAGNATION INTENSIFIES*

Tongue

Segregated Witness is just another way to centralize mining. I will explain that in the future when I am ready.

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
April 23, 2016, 12:22:21 AM

Are there any good threads, sites or books dedicated to this subject? I'm between chapbooks and my new obsession is learning how a trustelessly decentralized cryptosystem would look in theory and in practice.

There is my Decentralization delusion thread and also r0ach's Satoshi didn't solve the Byzantine Generals Problem thread which I contributed to significantly. But this will probably read like technobabble to you. The organization is not good.

I will come back to this with an organized white paper when I am ready. Sorry can't do right now. Other priorities come first.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
April 23, 2016, 12:28:21 AM

Segregated Witness is just another way to centralize mining. I will explain that in the future when I am ready.

... but that is a small price to pay in order to increase the blocksize from 1 MB to an effective 1.6 MB  Roll Eyes

Edit: There are those of use who believe that the worldwide market for a decentralized crypto currency is bigger than a few transactions per second.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2016, 12:34:42 AM

The 1 MB blocksize was added to Bitcoin in 2010 as an anti spam "temporary" fix. Virtually every other coin has copied Bitcoin on this and inherited the problem.

That's half true.  1MB also serves as a sanity check to prevent blocks with sigops construed so as to require outrageous processing times.

That's why BIP109 includes sigop and sighash limits, which are an unwelcome source of additional technical debt and magic-number-based cruft.

Bitcoin has a fixed emission with no tail-end after the main body of subsidies end, so it cannot use dynamic market-based Monero-style block sizing heuristics (unless we raise the 21e6 coin limit, which is simply out of the question).

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
April 23, 2016, 12:41:21 AM

unless we raise the 21e6 coin limit, which is simply out of the question

You mean the asymptotic 0 coin limit. Hehe. (coins are lost perpetually until there are no more spendable coins)

Got Monero?

Pages: « 1 ... 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 [869] 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: