Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:52:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 [916] 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312383 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Monerobuyer0

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 07:28:26 PM

Why this sudden change. Did all who wanted BTC for halving already sold them in past half year?

This.  Everyone who doesnt really believe in Monero got out already when btc rose.
The remaining holders actually want Monero.  (And most of us are probably well diversified between monero and btc and thus dont really need to sell one for the other).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rangedriver

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 07:39:05 PM

Why this sudden change. Did all who wanted BTC for halving already sold them in past half year?

This.  Everyone who doesnt really believe in Monero got out already when btc rose.
The remaining holders actually want Monero.  (And most of us are probably well diversified between monero and btc and thus dont really need to sell one for the other).

Not necessarily true, and in fact, quite possibly the opposite.

Those who understand Monero's long-term potential would want to acquire Monero at cheap prices - a feat that would invariably involve temporarily jumping on a rising BTC train. I think that it's a bastion of human nature that people want good stuff as cheaply as possible... and Monero is clearly good stuff.

All that remains is the strategy employed. For some, there are no moral or legal boundaries. For others, it's a case of careful study of the trading variables and acting accordingly.

Believing in Monero, however, comes easily. It's the belief in where the charts will go tis the biggest headache.
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 09:41:59 PM

The answer is surprisingly simple, yet infuriating.  Buy Monero, secure it in cold storage, and then help build the Monero economy and community.  Don't worry about the price. 

For example, if Bitcoin goes up, but so does Monero's BTC ratio, getting out of Monero temporarily to ride the Bitcoin wave up will ultimately hurt your XMR holdings.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
primer-
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 10:08:19 PM

I love the pump but unless monero really takes off (0.04-0.05) it won't survive Ethereum's ring signature mixers soon to be launched.....
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4898

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 10:26:08 PM

The answer is surprisingly simple, yet infuriating.  Buy Monero, secure it in cold storage, and then help build the Monero economy and community.  Don't worry about the price. 

For example, if Bitcoin goes up, but so does Monero's BTC ratio, getting out of Monero temporarily to ride the Bitcoin wave up will ultimately hurt your XMR holdings.

I have to disagree here (make note anyone that thinks this thread is a circle jerk), it all depends on the amount you own. For instance my holdings were so small that I was able to cash out without effecting the price in any meaningful way. I agree that partially cashing out is stupid just as the morons that lend at such a low rate are shooting themselves in the foot.

Now I am 100% certain and have absolutely no doubt that Monero is the best Virtual currency bar NONE but in order to increase my holdings I am taking from the BTC bubble and will buy back in when it pops and I expect XMR will dip down to 1 usd again and I will get back in then.

I love the pump but unless monero really takes off (0.04-0.05) it won't survive Ethereum's ring signature mixers soon to be launched.....

Sorry, remind me when ETH's chain has been attacked and survived and where this supposed tech is anything more than pie in the sky ATM. We keep hearing how all these other coins are going to copy Crypto-Note with a Lite mix version but havn't even seen any that have come through.

Actually quite the opposite we have watched Shadow (the only one I know that actually released something in this regard) get completely De-anaomized by Monero scientists.

Now go change your botnet off that pool! Tongue

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
primer-
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 10:39:16 PM

I have to disagree here (make note anyone that thinks this thread is a circle jerk), it all depends on the amount you own. For instance my holdings were so small that I was able to cash out without effecting the price in any meaningful way. I agree that partially cashing out is stupid just as the morons that lend at such a low rate are shooting themselves in the foot.

Now I am 100% certain and have absolutely no doubt that Monero is the best Virtual currency bar NONE but in order to increase my holdings I am taking from the BTC bubble and will buy back in when it pops and I expect XMR will dip down to 1 usd again and I will get back in then.

Sorry, remind me when ETH's chain has been attacked and survived and where this supposed tech is anything more than pie in the sky ATM. We keep hearing how all these other coins are going to copy Crypto-Note with a Lite mix version but havn't even seen any that have come through.

Actually quite the opposite we have watched Shadow (the only one I know that actually released something in this regard) get completely De-anaomized by Monero scientists.

Now go change your botnet off that pool! Tongue

Please do not compare a shitcoin with ETH.. Monero's only purpose it to make botnet operators rich.. Less than 10% of network hash rate are real users.. Unless monero attracts BTC bubble newcomers it's  done...
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 11:10:23 PM

I dont understand that compared to last half year, last 2 weeks rare is selling Moneros. Why this sudden change. Did all who wanted BTC for halving already sold them in past half year? Or something is expecting?

The fundamentals for Monero are very different from last year. We have a significant drop in the emission and more importantly an even greater drop in the inflation rate. We also have seen some very significant improvements in Monero project. https://getmonero.org/2016/02/10/monero-missive-2015-year-in-review.html One very significant improvement, that has a direct impact on usability, in the removal of the large memory requirements for running Monero, from well over 9 GB to under 300 MB. This means support for 32bit GNU/Linux and Windows including Windows XP and support for ARMv7 devices.

The answer is surprisingly simple, yet infuriating.  Buy Monero, secure it in cold storage, and then help build the Monero economy and community.  Don't worry about the price.  

I am with americanpegasus here. My take is that the current rise in Bitcoin is driven to a large degree by fear in the fiat markets. A significant factor in the latter is the threat of Brexit. If Bitcoin moons for what ever reason I would much rather be in an alt I believe in than in Bitcoin. I base this to large degree on the price behavior of most alt-coins during the Bitcoin bull markets of 2013.  

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
letsplayagame

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 11:15:26 PM

I see more GUI commits:

https://github.com/mbg033/monero-core/commit/3ddd9bed72da0e039f44b64a4cc9fff679dd40ed

Chess, Bitcoin, Privacy and Freedom
Code:
 Make BTC Donations via XMR.TO or Shapeshift XMR: 47nMGDMQxEB8CWpWT7QgBLDmTSxgjm9831dVeu24ebCeH8gNPG9RvZAYoPxW2JniKjeq5LXZafwdPWH7AmX2NVji3yYKy76 
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 11:40:22 PM

There's a lot more to XMR than ring sigs. Even still, from what I understand Ethereum ring-sig transactions will be optional and quite expensive. I'm unconcerned.

Please do not compare a shitcoin with ETH.. Monero's only purpose it to make botnet operators rich.. Less than 10% of network hash rate are real users.. Unless monero attracts BTC bubble newcomers it's  done...

How do you know 90% of the hash rate is botnets? I'm curious to see the numbers.
Monerobuyer0

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 12:00:00 AM

There's a lot more to XMR than ring sigs. Even still, from what I understand Ethereum ring-sig transactions will be optional and quite expensive. I'm unconcerned.

Please do not compare a shitcoin with ETH.. Monero's only purpose it to make botnet operators rich.. Less than 10% of network hash rate are real users.. Unless monero attracts BTC bubble newcomers it's  done...

How do you know 90% of the hash rate is botnets? I'm curious to see the numbers.

He runs the botnet maybe?  Tongue
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2016, 12:16:46 AM

He runs the botnet maybe?  Tongue

He IS the botnet.

I speculate that we will watch monero continue to rise until it plateaus. Then, as always with monero rises, someone decides to cash out and tanks the price. by like 40%.

Though we haven't seen what happens with a serious bitcoin moon event.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 12:24:47 AM

There is no 90% botnet. Period.

There was one actual botnet identified recently and the author of the report estimated the revenue as something up to $1000 per month, which if you work it out is a teeny tiny fraction of the hash rate. The larger the botnet the more likely it is to be detected and reported. 90% Monero botnets would be hundreds of thousands if not millions of computers. There is zero chance that exists in the wild without being detected and reported.

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4898

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 01:14:10 AM

I dont understand that compared to last half year, last 2 weeks rare is selling Moneros. Why this sudden change. Did all who wanted BTC for halving already sold them in past half year? Or something is expecting?

The fundamentals for Monero are very different from last year. We have a significant drop in the emission and more importantly an even greater drop in the inflation rate. We also have seen some very significant improvements in Monero project. https://getmonero.org/2016/02/10/monero-missive-2015-year-in-review.html One very significant improvement, that has a direct impact on usability, in the removal of the large memory requirements for running Monero, from well over 9 GB to under 300 MB. This means support for 32bit GNU/Linux and Windows including Windows XP and support for ARMv7 devices.

The answer is surprisingly simple, yet infuriating.  Buy Monero, secure it in cold storage, and then help build the Monero economy and community.  Don't worry about the price.  

I am with americanpegasus here. My take is that the current rise in Bitcoin is driven to a large degree by fear in the fiat markets. A significant factor in the latter is the threat of Brexit. If Bitcoin moons for what ever reason I would much rather be in an alt I believe in than in Bitcoin. I base this to large degree on the price behavior of most alt-coins during the Bitcoin bull markets of 2013.  

Ummm, I never even had an opinion on why BTC is on the rise so how can you say you agree with him and by extension not me when I never presented an opinion on the btc rise? I stated I would rather have my holdings in fiat for the bubble burst where you state you would rather have it in an alt which basically is us all agreeing that holding BTC is the foolish move. I disagreed on whether getting out of xmr is a good thing or not and I postulated that it depends on the market share you are holding.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 07:01:17 AM

The (short term) inverse correlation between $/BTC price movements and BTC/XMR rate is strong and consistent at the moment.
What do you think is the best way to profit of this? How do you try to time properly BTC price movements? Do you use stop orders to limit loss or not?

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
primer-
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 10:08:32 AM

There was one actual botnet identified recently and the author of the report estimated the revenue as something up to $1000 per month, which if you work it out is a teeny tiny fraction of the hash rate. The larger the botnet the more likely it is to be detected and reported. 90% Monero botnets would be hundreds of thousands if not millions of computers. There is zero chance that exists in the wild without being detected and reported.

Idiot  Grin  Grin
Kramerc

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 10:09:54 AM

I think Monero will moon soon, so I'm just trading with very little amounts right now. If i profit, good, if not, I'm hodling the bitcorns. My sell orders weren't hit yesterday but still I decided to sell a very little amount (around a tenth of my asks) and I'm thinking of buying it back today, as my goal is to accumulate moneros.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 11:11:44 AM

Idiot  Grin  Grin

primer- your personal insult is off topic and could be deleted under the posted thread rules but I feel like leaving it here anyway as a permanent record of your behavior
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 12:20:38 PM

Just think guys please if primier_ would mine lots he would always try to shill Monero, but he all the time FUD it.  He dont mine Monero at all. He is a FUD account of a bagholder that is afraid of Monero.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 09:12:41 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2016, 10:26:29 PM by ArticMine

Ummm, I never even had an opinion on why BTC is on the rise so how can you say you agree with him and by extension not me when I never presented an opinion on the btc rise? I stated I would rather have my holdings in fiat for the bubble burst where you state you would rather have it in an alt which basically is us all agreeing that holding BTC is the foolish move. I disagreed on whether getting out of xmr is a good thing or not and I postulated that it depends on the market share you are holding.

I see the market at this point as very complex and I can see why a simple commnet  such as:
I am with americanpegasus here. ...
can lead to a misunderstanding.

The question that comes to my mind is are we going in to a Bitcoin bubble?

If the answer is no then this is a scenario where moving into fiat with the idea of buying Monero in the future at a lower price in fiat terms than now may make some sense. Still even under this scenario there remains the risk of significant improvements in Monero such as the GUI and RingCT, keeping the fiat price of Monero above the current levels.

If the answer is yes then my take is that we can learn from the past behaviors of alt coins in the 2013 Bitcoin bubbles. Litecoin is a good example; however this market behavior was by no means limited to Litecoin. I will start with both the LTC/XBT and LTC/USD charts going back to 2012.
https://www.cryptocoincharts.info/pair/ltc/btc/btc-e/alltime
https://www.cryptocoincharts.info/pair/ltc/usd/btc-e/alltime
Now compare this to XBT/USD also going back to 2011
https://www.cryptocoincharts.info/pair/btc/usd/bitstamp/alltime

The salient points I see are:
1) Litecoin spikes with respect to Bitcoin at the same time as Bitcoin spikes with respect to USD. In effect Litecoin acts as a leveraged play on Bitcoin during the Bitcoin bubble.
2) The pre March 2013 Litecoin lows with respect to both USD and even XBT were not reached in the subsequent bear markets. Yes Litecoin fell from close to 50 USD to just over 1 USD in 2015, in a brutal bear market. This bear market, however, was not brutal enough to bail out a  Litecoin "short" who sold LTC for USD in say February of 2013 with the intent of buying back into LTC after the bubble burst.
3) The Litecoin lows with respect to XBT and USD  after the April 2013 and November 2013 bubbles were comparable. One possible scenario is that the April 2013 Bitcoin bubble brought a new awareness to Litcoin since it was the first bubble in Bitcoin after the creation of Litecoin. This could be relevant not just for Monero but also for those coins that were created in 2014 or later.

Are the markets the same now as in 2013? Of course not; however I see the differences as possibly magnifying this effect in the case of Monero. We have Bitcoin suffering with the blocksize debate and is already driving money into the alt-coins, with Ethereum being the most clear case. There is also of course the chance of some of the pending development work in Monero being completed in the interim. With all of this in mind I find the idea of holding fiat with the idea of buying Monero at a later date, creating an effective short position, an extremely risky proposition. It could work but it could also backfire badly.

Of course this must not be construed as investment advice and any long or short position in crypto currency should be considered extremly high risk and only undertaken after obtaining appropriate professional advice.

Disclosure: I do currently hold XMR, CAD and smaller amounts of XBT, NMC and USD.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
novag

Activity: 687
Merit: 500

novag

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2016, 09:26:54 PM

Can XMR on POLO to take the price of 0.004BTC?

Donate for the support of a new Martial arts Style - Aikivindo = Aikido + Wing-Chun (in Ukraine) 5168757318423326 PrivatBank.
http://aikivindo.com.ua
BTC:1DpRaQjdVmrkSopRV8p9RdwvBMWNA9faCS
Pages: « 1 ... 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 [916] 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: