Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:52:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 1520 1521 1522 1523 1524 1525 [1526] 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1532 1533 1534 1535 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 1547 1548 1549 1550 1551 1552 1553 1554 1555 1556 1557 1558 1559 1560 1561 1562 1563 1564 1565 1566 1567 1568 1569 1570 1571 1572 1573 1574 1575 1576 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312366 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 06:25:31 PM

CryptoKingdom died?  I see posts from rptelia from just a few days ago about it.

Always wondered if it ever actually became a game instead of a spreadsheet and a role playing thread but never got around to checking.  How's he a scammer?
 Exit scam.  He ran off with 7 figures.   I am very sympathetic to those who lost money, but good riddance IMO.

Whoa rptelia did?  Good grief - from the game coffers?  How's he still keeping the game going then?  7 figures of $ or 7 figures of Monero?

This is just insane to me ... I've had had a dozen scam ideas with all of these ICOs going on.  I'm fairly sure I could make a million or two.  But I'm too terrified of the law to do it ... prison time kinda scares me.  Can't believe being a public figure he decided to.

Guess that explains why he doesn't post around here much anymore.  Was there some "hack" or excuse - or he just emptied the coffers?  He was one of the few around here I *almost* trusted.

Money made by scamming and stealing will not bring blessing to you. It is even better to have less money but the money is made in honest way than have shitloads of stolen money.  Scamming seems the fast track to riches but it actually ends badly and the thieves will become sooner or later broke.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 07:00:08 PM

The utility of Monero is very limited and basically it is just another shitcoin.
In my opinion, the current price is very lucrative selling opportunity - after all it is like 4-5 times higher than 1 year ago.

Not making this up... I read this and immediately bought 4btc more monero.

I value your input.

Good luck with your investment then I guess....
Thanks.  I will accept either outcome.  But it is obvious my opinion.  Unfortunately for me 4BTC is but a whisp of what I've lost in my adventures at sea.  In fact I better make aure7 I did not leave the seed words for this wallet on the dashboard of the pontoon!  Brb.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 11:35:12 PM

CryptoKingdom died?  I see posts from rptelia from just a few days ago about it.

Always wondered if it ever actually became a game instead of a spreadsheet and a role playing thread but never got around to checking.  How's he a scammer?
 Exit scam.  He ran off with 7 figures.   I am very sympathetic to those who lost money, but good riddance IMO.

Whoa rptelia did?  Good grief - from the game coffers?  How's he still keeping the game going then?  7 figures of $ or 7 figures of Monero?

He locked the game thread and started a "new" game. I doubt there are any/many actual players besides his imaginary friends.

The original game continues with a few die hards who have kicked him out and are attempting to revive it.

You can read more here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1890786.0

Other than that it seems somewhat off topic. CK was certainly not the biggest use case for XMR, though it had ambitions of growing into that, never realized.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 11:41:39 PM

He locked the game thread and started a "new" game. I doubt there are any/many actual players besides his imaginary friends.

The original game continues with a few die hards who have kicked him out and are attempting to revive it.

Other than that it seems somewhat off topic. CK was certainly not the biggest use case for XMR, though it had ambitions of growing into that, never realized.

What is bigger?
Assuming the trading in Poloniex is excluded...
Some darkmarkets adapted Monero but afaik it was barely used there...? If I recall right, there was 1 psychiarist in New York City who accepted Monero payments...?
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 12:01:21 AM

What is bigger?
Some darkmarkets adapted Monero but afaik it was barely used there...? If I recall right, there was 1 psychiarist in New York City who accepted Monero payments...?

AFAIK AB was turning over most of the non-financial transactions, but counting requires using proxy statistics because of CT etc. I have been too busy lately to do that work.  Maybe soon, when the dnm situation is stable again.

I personally bought lots of stuff with xmr.  Notably, 8 works of art, two automobiles, one prescribed drug, an undisclosed amount of physical gold and silver, and an undisclosed amount of currency.  But I am not a typical transactional user.  A typical transactional user today will use it for dnm, and in future will use it for remittances.

When I use it, I gradually repurchase, to maintain a constant level of holdings overall, in the long run.  Most of the demand is still reserve demand - and probably always will be, since nothing else on the planet is as immune to extortion, theft, or disaster, so it is the ideal savings vehicle.  If you want some sense of the float which will be used in the xmr economy I think the polo stock is probably a good first order approximation, so around 200k of xmr supply, the rest being held in reserve.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
ozkraut

Activity: 522
Merit: 266

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 12:36:46 AM

What is bigger?

AFAIK AB was turning over most of the non-financial transactions, but counting requires using proxy statistics because of CT etc. I have been too busy lately to do that work.  Maybe soon, when the dnm situation is stable again.

I personally bought lots of stuff with xmr.  Notably, 8 works of art, two automobiles, one prescribed drug, an undisclosed amount of physical gold and silver, and an undisclosed amount of currency.  But I am not a typical transactional user.  A typical transactional user today will use it for dnm, and in future will use it for remittances.

When I use it, I gradually repurchase, to maintain a constant level of holdings overall, in the long run.  Most of the demand is still reserve demand - and probably always will be, since nothing else on the planet is as immune to extortion, theft, or disaster, so it is the ideal savings vehicle.  If you want some sense of the float which will be used in the xmr economy I think the polo stock is probably a good first order approximation, so around 200k of xmr supply, the rest being held in reserve.

same here. I used Monero for lots of things. Hell my bike is re-registered with Monero. And yep I stock up again. Btw: livingroomofsatoshi for the aud located. Takes Monero for your everyday bills. And no affiliation. Just using the service.

Monero - Wir sind die Leute vor denen uns unsere Eltern gewarnt haben!
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 01:17:21 AM

CryptoKingdom died?  I see posts from rptelia from just a few days ago about it.

Always wondered if it ever actually became a game instead of a spreadsheet and a role playing thread but never got around to checking.  How's he a scammer?
  Exit scam.  He ran off with 7 figures.   I am very sympathetic to those who lost money, but good riddance IMO.

Whoa rptelia did?  Good grief - from the game coffers?  How's he still keeping the game going then?  7 figures of $ or 7 figures of Monero?

What is bigger?

What's bigger is simply speculation, and wanting a private store of value (this is somewhat circular as it involves speculating on it being an even more useful private store of value in the future).

Why exclude poloniex or speculation in general. Most of CK was just yet more speculation anyway (land, in-game assets, etc.). Very few put money into the game solely or even primarily for the reason of "Oh, this game is SO much fun I want to SPEND money on it!"

Transactional use inevitably exists because people who are storing value want to spend it (or for that matter add to it, as savings). So they trade for other currencies (perhaps through other intermediates first), which requires transactions.

All of this is use.

That said, it would not surprise me if 2% of Alphabay, while in a sense "barely used" might still dwarf the transactional volume of CK.

Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 07:56:45 AM

and hadn't they moved off xmr to a new token ?

aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 09:50:28 AM

and hadn't they moved off xmr to a new token ?
If you are referring to AB, after starting as BTC only, they added XMR; then they added ETH; then when they added ZEC they got raided almost immediately.  At no point did they drop any crypto from the support list.

I wonder whether ETH and ZEC will still be supported if they resume ops?  It will be interesting to follow the AB reddit for a while.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 12:10:27 PM

What is bigger?

The biggest use cases where Monero is locked are ofcourse exchanges. Not just Poloniex but many, Kraken, Bittrex, Bitfinex, HitBTC, Live coin.  But there are other places you can spend Monero like buying some Gold or Silver here https://silverround.com/   . There is no worry soon will be plenty of places.
Gaius Cryptus Tradius

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Hoqu.io – Decentralized Affiliate platform

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 01:06:18 PM

I think the main goal has to be to find new acceptance places. With that people will learn about it and get more information by researching!

aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 02:44:49 PM

I think the main goal has to be to find new acceptance places. With that people will learn about it and get more information by researching!

All that really matters outside dnm is payment processors like e.g. bitpay.  Alpaca socks and paintings amount to nothing.

bitstomake

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 03:22:48 PM

then when they added ZEC they got raided almost immediately.

I'd never even thought of this!  AB went down pretty much as soon as ZCash was supposed to go live!  A lot of people believe LE created ZCash in the first place for this exact purpose.
Millionero

Activity: 807
Merit: 423

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 03:48:29 PM

All that really matters outside dnm is payment processors like e.g. bitpay.  Alpaca socks and paintings amount to nothing.
I was going to post an angry alpaca gif as a joke; but then the search turned up "angry alpaca" in the urban dictionary
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Angry+Alpaca
 Shocked
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 04:15:54 PM

There will be https://payb.ee/ . I am not sure how far they are, but if I remember quite far to be available for every merchant. 
Web merchants that will care about their customers privacy will add Monero as payment. We need to understand that first will be the ones that sort of sell things concerning privacy.  These should also be first alerted about Monero and what it can provide to them.
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 05:04:18 PM

... then when they added ZEC they got raided almost immediately. 

LOL even if this can never be proven to be related, it's a great "anti-ZEC talking point" gifted to us Monero enthusiasts.  Thanks, Feds!! Cheesy

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 1418

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 06:34:10 PM

Omg, imagine when they start doing blockchain analysis stuff to trace all the transactions connected with Alphabay (if indeed they were connected with the raid) and start connecting those with real names.

Gotta get my hands on more XMR.  Sh*t just got serious.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 07:19:13 PM

Plot thickens...

https://www.reddit.com/r/AlphaBay/comments/6m8jgl/alphabay_update_admin_arrested_staff_jump_ship/

Could be bogus... hard to say.  Truth is, though, this has crypto/xmr consequences...  time to make money.
c789

Activity: 850

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 07:35:31 PM

then when they added ZEC they got raided almost immediately.

I'd never even thought of this!  AB went down pretty much as soon as ZCash was supposed to go live!  A lot of people believe LE created ZCash in the first place for this exact purpose.

Is there a link to what Green said? Zooko said something similar (https://twitter.com/zooko/status/863202798883577856), but if we have the page where Green said that I'd like to add it to my links.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
c789

Activity: 850

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 08:18:06 PM

there you go: https://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepercent/2013/03/bitcoin-zerocoin.html

remember Zcash is an 'evolution' of Zerocoin, but imo this quote is significant because the same guy is heavily involved in both projects.

Thank you. I updated https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php to reflect this. I tried to be fair and point out that he said this not about Zcash, but about Zerocoin, but I agree it's significant given that he's now on the Zcash team. Plus, Zooko's quote removes any doubt as to their team's feelings about privacy.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
Pages: « 1 ... 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 1520 1521 1522 1523 1524 1525 [1526] 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1532 1533 1534 1535 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 1547 1548 1549 1550 1551 1552 1553 1554 1555 1556 1557 1558 1559 1560 1561 1562 1563 1564 1565 1566 1567 1568 1569 1570 1571 1572 1573 1574 1575 1576 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: