Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:54:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 1520 1521 1522 1523 1524 1525 1526 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1532 1533 1534 1535 1536 [1537] 1538 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 1547 1548 1549 1550 1551 1552 1553 1554 1555 1556 1557 1558 1559 1560 1561 1562 1563 1564 1565 1566 1567 1568 1569 1570 1571 1572 1573 1574 1575 1576 1577 1578 1579 1580 1581 1582 1583 1584 1585 1586 1587 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312365 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
sui_generis

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 04:00:05 AM

In that case I'm out.

When the smartest man in the scene can't read between the lines and get a sense of long-term strategy then, frankly, we're all fucked.

There's no doubt that Smooth is the smartest guy who posts in this thread, but reading his replies and interacting with him reminds me of Greg Maxwell. Highly intelligent, and yet apparently incapable of understanding certain things which most of us understand intuitively.
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 1408

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 05:22:19 AM

Any predictions on who will reach $100 first between XMR and LTC?

This would actually make a good propbet.  So anyone here wanna make a bet on which one makes 100 USD first?  Monero or Litecoin?  Bet is 1 XMR and the bet is open until July 21, 2018.  That's one year. 

I choose XMR.  Any takers?

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
bitwolf

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 05:55:13 AM

I don't get it - what are the people waiting for?  Why hasn't everyone switched to only Monero.

https://www.europol.europa.eu/newsroom/news/massive-blow-to-criminal-dark-web-activities-after-globally-coordinated-operation
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 06:23:59 AM

It isn't out of line to suggest it, sure.

You literally just said:-

The suggestion of "retiring" the advice is out of line on that basis.

??

As for retirement of a meme, I'm not really expecting the community to retire anything or a meme to die. Truth be told, this was a bit of advice specifically intended for an individual in anticipation of a situation.

And in regards to strategy.... everything is strategy. No matter whether your skin is financial, personal or political.

I'm only aware of one clear instance where the advice became a meme (on twitter recently) and I took it as being quite amusing. To view that as a problem shows lack of appreciation for humor IMO.

I seriously doubt that fluffypony is going to answer any differently when people ask him in interviews, etc. whether Monero is a good investment or whether people should buy it, but who knows I could be surprised. I won't be recommending it to grandma any time soon either (unlike, say, Evan who apparently recruited most of his family to 'invest' in Dash, and that has indeed worked out for them, so far).

In that case I'm out.

Oh great. Everyone is 'out' yet somehow were are within 35% of an all time high...

What would you have him say when asked whether people should invest in Monero when he really doesn't believe it is a good idea (for most non-speculators to do so)?

You seem to want to make this into a "strategy", when it is really just a person giving his honest opinion rather than turning into a lying shill at every opportunity when given access to some sort of platform.

That is a bad thing?

Maybe we should have him post his technical analysis on the thread encouraging people to buy when he's caught aggressively selling OTC at the same time. /s
antw081

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 07:38:35 AM
Last edit: July 21, 2017, 07:58:09 AM by antw081

People seem to have forgotten that the Monero devs discovered a critical bug in CryptoNote not too long ago that if exploited could allow double spending to occur. Thankfully our devs spotted it before anyone else and patched it before it could be exploited in Monero.

For those who were here back in 2014(?), an attacker successfully caused a network fork in Monero by exploiting a bug again in CryptoNote.

Software is hard. One single typo in a line of code could potentially cause catastrophic failure. Monero exist in an adversarial environment with attacker looking for bugs / weaknesses to exploit. This is the risk we are dealing with. If you are going into buy into Monero or any other crypto, you should be aware of this risk.

I don't know what is the real intent of Fluffypony when he says "don't buy Monero", but I half suspect he ain't entirely joking.

P.S. Ultimately, action speaks louder than words. Our devs have worked largely unpaid and mostly unappreciated for many years to protect and enhance the privacy & financial wealth of the users and holders of Monero. So at least from me, I tip my hat off to Fluffypony, Smooth, Moneromooo and many more Monero devs / contributors for their hard work.
Detective Cuffs

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 08:38:28 AM

This would actually make a good propbet.  So anyone here wanna make a bet on which one makes 100 USD first?  Monero or Litecoin?  Bet is 1 XMR and the bet is open until July 21, 2018.  That's one year. 

Well I don't think this is 50/50 bet. LTC needs 2.8 billion more in market cap for $100 and XMR need 800 million. Sure you can argue that LTC has more mc now and new investors might just go for #4 coin instead of #9, but i feel XMR is starting to get momentum now. Since this is a guessing game I think it's 75/25 bet in XMR favor.
ozkraut

Activity: 522
Merit: 266

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 09:58:56 AM

It isn't out of line to suggest it, sure.

You literally just said:-

The suggestion of "retiring" the advice is out of line on that basis.

??

As for retirement of a meme, I'm not really expecting the community to retire anything or a meme to die. Truth be told, this was a bit of advice specifically intended for an individual in anticipation of a situation.

And in regards to strategy.... everything is strategy. No matter whether your skin is financial, personal or political.

I'm only aware of one clear instance where the advice became a meme (on twitter recently) and I took it as being quite amusing. To view that as a problem shows lack of appreciation for humor IMO.

I seriously doubt that fluffypony is going to answer any differently when people ask him in interviews, etc. whether Monero is a good investment or whether people should buy it, but who knows I could be surprised. I won't be recommending it to grandma any time soon either (unlike, say, Evan who apparently recruited most of his family to 'invest' in Dash, and that has indeed worked out for them, so far).

In that case I'm out.

Oh great. Everyone is 'out' yet somehow were are within 35% of an all time high...

What would you have him say when asked whether people should invest in Monero when he really doesn't believe it is a good idea (for most non-speculators to do so)?

You seem to want to make this into a "strategy", when it is really just a person giving his honest opinion rather than turning into a lying shill at every opportunity when given access to some sort of platform.

That is a bad thing?

Maybe we should have him post his technical analysis on the thread encouraging people to buy when he's caught aggressively selling OTC at the same time. /s

You two: would you stop already. Huge shit going down in the wild and you are having a pissing comp....ts ts SmoothIve seen better from you......

Monero - Wir sind die Leute vor denen uns unsere Eltern gewarnt haben!
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 11:13:12 AM

You two: would you stop already. Huge shit going down in the wild and you are having a pissing comp....ts ts SmoothIve seen better from you......

Okay, you could comment about the huge shit. Sounds interesting.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4891

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 12:37:19 PM

I say make the bet in LTC so it will be worthless in a year! Cheesy

So apparently Smooth has to make disclaimers before posting opinions now, well thats an interesting turn of events.  BTW, I value his/her opinion over every single other poster in this thread bar none.

ANYWAY:

An Unknown Amount of Monero, Is it True?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 12:58:56 PM

People seem to have forgotten that the Monero devs discovered a critical bug in CryptoNote not too long ago that if exploited could allow double spending to occur. Thankfully our devs spotted it before anyone else and patched it before it could be exploited in Monero.

For those who were here back in 2014(?), an attacker successfully caused a network fork in Monero by exploiting a bug again in CryptoNote.

Software is hard. One single typo in a line of code could potentially cause catastrophic failure. Monero exist in an adversarial environment with attacker looking for bugs / weaknesses to exploit. This is the risk we are dealing with. If you are going into buy into Monero or any other crypto, you should be aware of this risk.

I don't know what is the real intent of Fluffypony when he says "don't buy Monero", but I half suspect he ain't entirely joking.

P.S. Ultimately, action speaks louder than words. Our devs have worked largely unpaid and mostly unappreciated for many years to protect and enhance the privacy & financial wealth of the users and holders of Monero. So at least from me, I tip my hat off to Fluffypony, Smooth, Moneromooo and many more Monero devs / contributors for their hard work.

+1000 on this... hear hear.  I too wanna re-iterate my appreciation for all that the XMR devs do for this project, and for all of us.

Oh, yeah sure they may get rich in the process but that's to be expected, amirite? Srsly, they're creating the perfect digital MONEY system for all of us out here in the world, and for benefit of all future generations too!  And they're supposed to maintain some kind of Priestly Vow Of Poverty in the process?  LOL get real...

I mean, srsly WTF else would you expect, in this case...?
If the creators of such a system get rich it just means the project is successful!
Quitcherbitchin' an' just get on the train, man, and come along for the ride! LOL

Okay, you could comment about the huge shit. Sounds interesting.

I think he just means All The Sound And Fury (Signifying Nothing?) out in BitcoinLand over the hard fork / chain split going's-on... Monero User Unaffected Wink

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
sakkosekk

Activity: 224

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 01:57:45 PM
Last edit: July 24, 2017, 11:24:29 AM by sakkosekk

Is XMR speculation still an intelligent and safe choice? If it was me, I would explore and invest in ICO projects, which would make me more profitable than XMR speculation. And of course, the risk will be higher.
Billy Bunter

Activity: 327
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 02:18:24 PM

I say make the bet in LTC so it will be worthless in a year! Cheesy

So apparently Smooth has to make disclaimers before posting opinions now, well thats an interesting turn of events.  BTW, I value his/her opinion over every single other poster in this thread bar none.

ANYWAY:

An Unknown Amount of Monero, Is it True?

You know, I can't ever recall Smooth giving an out-and-out speculative opinion on Monero in this thread. I would be very interested in what he had to say.

Smooth - What is your opinion on Monero's price between now and Christmas? (With the clear understanding that this is an opinion and not investment advice).

Baguette Holder.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 02:57:01 PM

You are free to tell anyone you want buy more Monero. But you have zero rights to tell someone to stop saying to people to not buy any Monero.  

You have the freedom to do both. The idea that you have zero rights to tell someone something or anything doesn't really make much sense. You can say whatever you want, more or less.

In turn you are free to disagree or decline. It's entirely up to you.

LOL yes you can say anything. But not demand. You cant demand from someone to say something as you want.  I hope I was more clear now.  Is simple.
ghostunicorn

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 04:35:17 PM

I don't get it - what are the people waiting for?  Why hasn't everyone switched to only Monero.

https://www.europol.europa.eu/newsroom/news/massive-blow-to-criminal-dark-web-activities-after-globally-coordinated-operation

Some people just want to blame monero for its privacy and they started to publish artcles as far as I see. That's all. Nothing is wrong with monero and of course it's not related to criminality.
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 04:36:51 PM

monero team made me a big disappointment in the last lie. so I do not intend to invest in monero. my close friends do not suggest this.
CTTE

Activity: 227

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 04:43:11 PM

You know, I can't ever recall Smooth giving an out-and-out speculative opinion on Monero in this thread. I would be very interested in what he had to say.

I think smooth just gave a hint of his real background last page, also I do remember one time, he sold when Monero hit 0.01 first way back in mintpal and said so many times when bulls were dying of hunger in the winter of '15, I doubt he bought until it was low enough while he helped improve Monero.

rangedriver is right, if fluffypony can say not buy monero others are free to say otherwise.

Personally, I don't think we need to yell "BUY MONERO!", I think it would just be better to let the accomplishments of the dev team stand on their own merits and NOT feel like we need to qualify every presentation or roundtable where their achievements have just been shared with a "Don't Buy Monero".   

I keep hearing that the code's not ready yet for mass adoption and I'd like to understand what part of the code we don't trust and what our plan is to make it "ready".
I asked this earlier.
  • When will we know the code is solid enough to recommend buying Monero over something else?
  • How will we measure the code quality and will there be various degrees of success?
  • Do we have a plan to prioritize development efforts to achieve that goal before piling more features on top of any suspect code?

From my perspective the devs are pretty much top notch developers and I don't get any indication that there are many if any teams that are much better.  So, if it's a matter of verification of the code, I think that is a worthy pursuit to work towards and achieving that goal would benefit everyone, even those who aren't currently invested but will be in the future.

CTTE

Activity: 227

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 04:47:25 PM

One of these things is not like the others..

Is there a link to this doc? Thx!
sui_generis

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 05:10:06 PM

Is there a link to this doc? Thx!

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3898109/AlphaBay-Cazes-Forfeiture-Complaint.pdf
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 05:11:43 PM

I think smooth just gave a hint of his real background last page, also I do remember one time, he sold when Monero hit 0.01 first way back in mintpal and said so many times when bulls were dying of hunger in the winter of '15, I doubt he bought until it was low enough while he helped improve Monero.

I bought back during the BCX scare (and have said so here) later in 2014, which I correctly called as being a bunch of pure BS (though the price continued to decline even once it was apparent to all there was no exploit, in hindsight the result more of a brutal, and long, crypto bear market than anything specific to Monero). My reentry was well below 0.01 but also well above the subsequent lows.

rangedriver is right, if fluffypony can say not buy monero others are free to say otherwise.

Agree on that.
Billy Bunter

Activity: 327
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 05:27:14 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2017, 05:47:15 PM by Billy Bunter

I bought back during the BCX scare (and have said so here) later in 2014, which I correctly called as being a bunch of pure BS (though the price continued to decline even once it was apparent to all there was no exploit, in hindsight the result more of a brutal, and long, crypto bear market than anything specific to Monero). My reentry was well below 0.01 but also well above the subsequent lows.

Agree on that.

Any opinion on where we're headed over the next few months?

Baguette Holder.
Pages: « 1 ... 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 1520 1521 1522 1523 1524 1525 1526 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1532 1533 1534 1535 1536 [1537] 1538 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 1547 1548 1549 1550 1551 1552 1553 1554 1555 1556 1557 1558 1559 1560 1561 1562 1563 1564 1565 1566 1567 1568 1569 1570 1571 1572 1573 1574 1575 1576 1577 1578 1579 1580 1581 1582 1583 1584 1585 1586 1587 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: