Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:18:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 1520 1521 1522 1523 1524 1525 1526 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1532 1533 1534 1535 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 1547 1548 1549 1550 1551 1552 1553 1554 1555 1556 [1557] 1558 1559 1560 1561 1562 1563 1564 1565 1566 1567 1568 1569 1570 1571 1572 1573 1574 1575 1576 1577 1578 1579 1580 1581 1582 1583 1584 1585 1586 1587 1588 1589 1590 1591 1592 1593 1594 1595 1596 1597 1598 1599 1600 1601 1602 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312366 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
CaptainJack

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 06:23:45 PM

Fat Shit Fluffy is sole person responsible for monero  fall from grace  , he try to stop ETH ico bubble but the consequences is not for ETH instead he kill monero
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 06:24:57 PM

You know we're close to the bottom when the trolls start showing up. The next couple weeks should be interesting.
sui_generis

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 06:39:33 PM

You know we're close to the bottom when the trolls start showing up. The next couple weeks should be interesting.
Yep, same thing happened the last time we had a low around .01. Then there was a nice big short squeeze, and all the trolls went from FUDing to crying. Here's to hoping that we can put more Monero shorters in the poorhouse.
sui_generis

Activity: 243

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 06:45:21 PM

Fat Shit Fluffy is sole person responsible for monero  fall from grace  , he try to stop ETH ico bubble but the consequences is not for ETH instead he kill monero

Monero's price is currently higher than it was before the whole Fluffy thing. Try harder.
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 06:51:51 PM

Hey, I hope RingCT 2.0 happens, HW wallet too (although I'd be surprised to see finished code anytime soon). But I don't see anything here that will drive the price up in the short to medium run. If so, the price in BTC risks falling down to the old price range of 0.0017-0.0040. If that happens some slightly enlightened soul will probably just fork this into a new coin with a new community willing to do what it takes to get all the pieces in place. I seem to remember Fluffyponzi saying something about monero being a research project. I had no idea how literal he was.

Oh, and regarding your disappointment in troll quality. Top Trolls don't waste their time on lower tier shitcoins. I've never been much of a fan, but a lot of people I respect believe in this coin (or at least they did until the fluffyponzi stunt). I'm kinda awestruck at how little is done to attract new users. GUI wallet needs to be polished and everyone here needs to kiss some serious ledger ass to get that hw wallet support asap (The friggin Trezor drama was amazeballs stupid) or this coin will die. If these things fall into place, and market cap and liquidity gets a bump up, it can find some real use cases in finance. If not it will lose to an xmr clone, or even zcash. That's if it hasn't lost already to Dash (yeez!).

Now that's a perfect example of simpleton troll fud, calling Monero a lower tier coin and spicing it up by saying how little work has been done with a pinch of dash and zec promoting ...
They usually do that when they place their bids low, we'll prolly see more of similar BS in coming days  Undecided

Yeah, criticism is fud. Gotcha!

Maybe if you made constructive criticism people could work with it? You basically  just said that you don't think that current developments like  multisig, mobile wallets, kovri and the recent problems with tracing bitcoin transaction/blacklisting/darknetmarket busts will have any positive impact on XMR in the short/medium term, without explaining why.

I think I dropped some clues in there.

Then you say monero is a lower tier shitcoin without really explaining why. Of course the community is trying to attract new users (GUI development, Mobile wallet development, informative videos and presentation, meetups, etc). Or do you mean it is a shitcoin because it doesn't try to pull wool over the eyes of the people like dash/zcash/eth and a lot of other projects are doing?

Beyond what I've already said I tend to lash out when people calls me a fudding simpleton troll.

We'll see. XMR isn't a smart contract platform. It needs traders to keep the wheels spinning.

Which smart contract platform doesn't need traders to keep the wheels spinning? Sure, smart contracts are a nice idea and will be useful in the future, but do we really "need" them? Do you really think a fungible currency like XMR is useless right now?  

I'm not going to take the whole smart contract argument with you other than that xmr, unlike a smart contract platform, is dependent on market cap and liquidity to be useful. You can run a smart contract with a cheap token just as easily as with an expensive token, but you can't send $50 million fiat-xmr-fiat and expect anything near $50 million to reach the receiver.  So yes, I do think xmr is useless right now. And no, I don't think "a fungible currency like XMR is useless". That's the point.

Yep, same thing happened the last time we had a low around .01. Then there was a nice big short squeeze, and all the trolls went from FUDing to crying. Here's to hoping that we can put more Monero shorters in the poorhouse.

As if xmr needs any help falling

That been said, around here could be a good place to buy. But if it falls significantly below 0.01 it won't come up again.

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995
Fatman3001
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 07:07:02 PM

As if xmr needs any help falling

That been said, around here could be a good place to buy. But if it falls significantly below 0.01 it won't come up again.

Looks like you learned nothing with your old pal Robert Metcalfe.

Oh, you're thinking of Bitcoin. XMR is more like Minitel atm.

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995
paratox

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 07:32:33 PM

Hey, I hope RingCT 2.0 happens, HW wallet too (although I'd be surprised to see finished code anytime soon). But I don't see anything here that will drive the price up in the short to medium run. If so, the price in BTC risks falling down to the old price range of 0.0017-0.0040. If that happens some slightly enlightened soul will probably just fork this into a new coin with a new community willing to do what it takes to get all the pieces in place. I seem to remember Fluffyponzi saying something about monero being a research project. I had no idea how literal he was.

Oh, and regarding your disappointment in troll quality. Top Trolls don't waste their time on lower tier shitcoins. I've never been much of a fan, but a lot of people I respect believe in this coin (or at least they did until the fluffyponzi stunt). I'm kinda awestruck at how little is done to attract new users. GUI wallet needs to be polished and everyone here needs to kiss some serious ledger ass to get that hw wallet support asap (The friggin Trezor drama was amazeballs stupid) or this coin will die. If these things fall into place, and market cap and liquidity gets a bump up, it can find some real use cases in finance. If not it will lose to an xmr clone, or even zcash. That's if it hasn't lost already to Dash (yeez!).

Now that's a perfect example of simpleton troll fud, calling Monero a lower tier coin and spicing it up by saying how little work has been done with a pinch of dash and zec promoting ...
They usually do that when they place their bids low, we'll prolly see more of similar BS in coming days  Undecided

Yeah, criticism is fud. Gotcha!

Maybe if you made constructive criticism people could work with it? You basically  just said that you don't think that current developments like  multisig, mobile wallets, kovri and the recent problems with tracing bitcoin transaction/blacklisting/darknetmarket busts will have any positive impact on XMR in the short/medium term, without explaining why.

I think I dropped some clues in there.

I reread your post. The only clue I can see is that the things that are already happening (putting work into making the user experience better/easier) should happen faster? Sure that would be nice, but considering how young XMR is (a bit over 3 years) it is understandable that things take longer. It is easy to think things happen too slow in the moneroverse, because most other altcoins release their "stuff" faster. But that is mostly because the bitcoin protocol is already over 8 years old and most altcoins use that as a basis. Look at where Bitcoin was after 3 years and compare that to where monero stands now.

Quote from: paratox
Then you say monero is a lower tier shitcoin without really explaining why. Of course the community is trying to attract new users (GUI development, Mobile wallet development, informative videos and presentation, meetups, etc). Or do you mean it is a shitcoin because it doesn't try to pull wool over the eyes of the people like dash/zcash/eth and a lot of other projects are doing?

Beyond what I've already said I tend to lash out when people calls me a fudding simpleton troll.

Just a suggestion. Maybe if you worded your concerns in a more constructive manner, people wouldn't react the way they did? It is really easy to misunderstand how someone meant something when you only have written words on a screen.

Quote from: paratox

We'll see. XMR isn't a smart contract platform. It needs traders to keep the wheels spinning.

Which smart contract platform doesn't need traders to keep the wheels spinning? Sure, smart contracts are a nice idea and will be useful in the future, but do we really "need" them? Do you really think a fungible currency like XMR is useless right now?  

I'm not going to take the whole smart contract argument with you other than that xmr, unlike a smart contract platform, is dependent on market cap and liquidity to be useful. You can run a smart contract with a cheap token just as easily as with an expensive token, but you can't send $50 million fiat-xmr-fiat and expect anything near $50 million to reach the receiver.  So yes, I do think xmr is useless right now. And no, I don't think "a fungible currency like XMR is useless". That's the point.

I agree partly with you on the smart contract part. To keep it short: Yes marketcap isn't as important, but if nobody trades the coin and nobody has a usecase for smart contracts, the coin will die. Right now I don't see people buying into ETH or other SC platforms because they need to use them for the smart contract feature. That was my point.

Your $50million example may hold true right now, but that is only one specific case. Not everybody is gonna want to sent $50million fiat-xmr-fiat today. A lot of current users of Monero have much less than $50million in wealth, so for them it is useful. Sure liquidity must rise to accommodate wealthier people and if you look at the MCAP development over the past few years, you can see that XMR is on its way to make that happen.

Good things take time.

Johnny Mnemonic

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 07:44:01 PM

And no, I don't think "a fungible currency like XMR is useless".

Okay, I'll bite. What do you think would be the difference between XMR and "a fungible currency like XMR?"
Fatman3001
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 08:17:20 PM

Okay, I'll bite. What do you think would be the difference between XMR and "a fungible currency like XMR?"

XMR doesn't respect its potential users. With all this focus on back end and sloooow front end development xmr risks becoming a dev platform for other coins who take users seriously.

I'm also curious to see if fluffyponzi sunk this ship with his little stunt (at this point in crypto, traders are most definitely users). Near-future price action will probably give an answer to that. Fingers crossed.

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 09:34:37 PM

XMR doesn't respect its potential users. With all this focus on back end and sloooow front end development xmr risks becoming a dev platform for other coins who take users seriously.

I'm also curious to see if fluffyponzi sunk this ship with his little stunt (at this point in crypto, traders are most definitely users). Near-future price action will probably give an answer to that. Fingers crossed.

I was not someone who looked at FP's "troll" announcement as wise or even funny.  That said, it is what it is, and maybe I am just one of the ones who did not "get it".

But I have no idea why you are acting like Monero's descent against BTC has anything to do with that, or is even speculatively significant beyond the question of whether one should risk being out of alts in general to ride the BTC wave.  After all Monero has not fared any worse in this market than other alts.  Better than many.  Looks to me like many are down ~50% right now as compared to BTC.

Monero is down a lot too... but its price in USD holds pretty firmly between $45-50 right now.

I'd say if it breaks under .010 significantly it will be more related to BTC approaching 5kUSD than FP's troll.

This little screenshot tells a story if you ask me:

Cart

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 09:39:32 PM

I think Monero is really interesting since it holds its value very constant in BTC
Fatman3001
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 09:57:12 PM

This little screenshot tells a story if you ask me:

Not really, most days xmr has been just as red. And the big difference is that all those other coins are winding down from the spring 2017 alt bonanza.

Guess which coin wasn't invited. Actually, more like his dad wouldn't let him go.

I didn't think all of this was so friggin controversial. But if everyone here are happy then I guess it's all good.

Really nice echo chamber you guyz have got in here.

leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 10:55:58 PM

After that Alex Vinnik guy was arrested in Greece (supposedly he was found using blockchain analysis!!) I am surprised XMR has not gone up a whole lot.

It should be clear that, once BTC owners can be easily identified by governments, it will be very easy to outlaw or tax or seize Bitcoin! So BTC is not a protected form of property anymore and certainly not fungible anymore.

For Alex Vinnik it took a massive effort but in a few years it will take only minutes or seconds to do that. BTC will become the equivalent of a bank account balance!

BTC is like a bank account balance while XMR is like cash.

Really, how can it be that XMR is going down vs Bitcoin, after the A. Vinnik story?  Huh

Truth is the new hatespeech.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 10:59:17 PM

The trolls showing up likely has something to do with Bytecoin's zombie reawakening. They've always had a hard on for trolling Monero and yes there are paid trolling services that use sock puppet accounts, purchased accounts, etc. so the coordinated appearance of multiple 'different' trolls is not surprising (I've been personally solicited by them to use their services).
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 11:23:49 PM

The trolls showing up likely has something to do with Bytecoin's zombie reawakening. They've always had a hard on for trolling Monero and yes there are paid trolling services that use sock puppet accounts, purchased accounts, etc. so the coordinated appearance of multiple 'different' trolls is not surprising (I've been personally solicited by them to use their services).

Zombie is an apt description here. If we assume a constant price for BCN  in inflation adjusted USD, my prediction is that with BCNs current emission curve, and assuming no CryptoNight ASICS within a decade it will be possible to launch a 51% attack on Bytecoin using a single video card. If a CryptoNight ASCIC is developed then its demise will be a lot faster.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Johnny Mnemonic

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 11:28:34 PM

Not really, most days xmr has been just as red. And the big difference is that all those other coins are winding down from the spring 2017 alt bonanza.

Guess which coin wasn't invited.

Actually, XMR hosted that party in August 2016, watched carefully as every greedy scumbag in town showed up, and then barricaded the exits.

The great crypto massacre is coming.
CTTE

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 11:39:06 PM

Let's just stop quoting the troll and he'll go back to his beloved NXT and ARDOR!!!

They seem like a really good choice!  Cheesy
Bitcoinaire

Activity: 696
Merit: 439

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 12:18:56 AM
Last edit: August 15, 2017, 03:52:18 AM by Bitcoinaire

With Ledger supporting Monero shortly, Im looking into purchasing either the nano or the blue. The blue is $259 vs $59 for the nano. I would be storing xmr, btc some ltc. Any suggestions?

Edit: Found my answer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ledgerwallet/comments/611l21/blue_or_nano_s/
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 12:53:56 AM

I'd been a bit worried about how much my overall crypto portfolio has actually been going "down" as measured in BTC value lately... even all the while it's continued to go UP quite a bit as measured in DOLLAR value terms.

In previous months I'd gotten used to seeing BOTH measures going steadily UP: so this was a concerning change, something I felt I needed to pay attention to, figure out what's up...

Looking into it, I could only conclude that maybe I'm too heavily exposed to XMR...?

In other words, Monero "lagging" and lately "only holding" it's recent steady $45-$50 range is perhaps solely responsible for this "actually going down in bitcoin value" total portfolio, all the while BTC itself has been mini-mooning after the successful hard fork?

Uh oh...!

Then, believe it or not I was actually considering 'cutting my losses' (or more accurately cutting lack-of-gainers?)

I started thinking about moving some of the XMR back into BTC/BCH... Sacrilege!!  Shocked  

BUT THEN, I came here to this trusty good ol' Monero Speculation thread and saw ALL the TROLLS had come BACK trying to PLY their TRADE!

LOL   Grin  

SO?  Crisis averted.  Leaving everything alone.  This Is Fine... HoneyPony? Carry on... Smiley

P.S. I estimated that -- for me, and for my current overall portfolio balance -- XMR would *only* need to achieve about $66 price in dollar value to re-gain ALL the "lagging losses" that it's responsible for, in my whole portfolio... i.e. for the BTC measure to return at least to where it was previously and the "dollar value" number to go still higher.

That seems more than easy enough to achieve, to me... never mind when XMR actually finally gets to three-figures $100+ ...it'll be Party Time, indeed Smiley  

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 03:18:07 AM

I'd been a bit worried about how much my overall crypto portfolio has actually been going "down" as measured in BTC value lately... even all the while it's continued to go UP quite a bit as measured in DOLLAR value terms.

In previous months I'd gotten used to seeing BOTH measures going steadily UP: so this was a concerning change, something I felt I needed to pay attention to, figure out what's up...

Looking into it, I could only conclude that maybe I'm too heavily exposed to XMR...?

In other words, Monero "lagging" and lately "only holding" it's recent steady $45-$50 range is perhaps solely responsible for this "actually going down in bitcoin value" total portfolio, all the while BTC itself has been mini-mooning after the successful hard fork?

Uh oh...!

Then, believe it or not I was actually considering 'cutting my losses' (or more accurately cutting lack-of-gainers?)

I started thinking about moving some of the XMR back into BTC/BCH... Sacrilege!!  Shocked  

BUT THEN, I came here to this trusty good ol' Monero Speculation thread and saw ALL the TROLLS had come BACK trying to PLY their TRADE!

LOL   Grin  

SO?  Crisis averted.  Leaving everything alone.  This Is Fine... HoneyPony? Carry on... Smiley

P.S. I estimated that -- for me, and for my current overall portfolio balance -- XMR would *only* need to achieve about $66 price in dollar value to re-gain ALL the "lagging losses" that it's responsible for, in my whole portfolio... i.e. for the BTC measure to return at least to where it was previously and the "dollar value" number to go still higher.

That seems more than easy enough to achieve, to me... never mind when XMR actually finally gets to three-figures $100+ ...it'll be Party Time, indeed Smiley  

in my opinion xmr should be  worth 300 ish 
the zcash scam is finding gullible new investors daily
and i just cringe when they tell me how great it is ........
Pages: « 1 ... 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 1520 1521 1522 1523 1524 1525 1526 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1532 1533 1534 1535 1536 1537 1538 1539 1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 1547 1548 1549 1550 1551 1552 1553 1554 1555 1556 [1557] 1558 1559 1560 1561 1562 1563 1564 1565 1566 1567 1568 1569 1570 1571 1572 1573 1574 1575 1576 1577 1578 1579 1580 1581 1582 1583 1584 1585 1586 1587 1588 1589 1590 1591 1592 1593 1594 1595 1596 1597 1598 1599 1600 1601 1602 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: