Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 06:20:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 [596] 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312580 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
oblox
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 12:48:04 AM

Yes, it is a miracle if XMR is listed at btc-e

It will eventually, its only a matter of time!!  Obviously the sooner the better.

I'll believe it when I see it. So many people have said that over the years and they have been adamant about keeping what coins they have already. Most likely coming from the fact that it's LTC's bread and butter.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2016, 01:21:20 AM

Right now the only exchange monero is actually being traded is Poloniex.

And the limits and credential requirements probably killed volume there...

And we still dont have a serious exchange for fiat. I would be trading 10 times more if there was a fiat/xmr exchange...

For the benefit of noobs, this should be said more often.  The implications are staggering.

Now that the full node isn't a RAM hog, I expect to see XMR added to more exchanges, including ones with fiat deposit services.

We've done very well on Poloniex; XMR volume allowed them to repay the funds stolen and positioned them to be the main ETH nexus.

But if we can get airborne on a single relatively obscure exchange, it's possible being listed on larger ones will take us to the moon.

BTC-e and chill.   Bitfinex and Kraken FTW.  Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 01:33:13 AM

Very interesting article on the Bitcoin blocksize issue by Jeff Garzik and Gavin Andresen. https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/bitcoin-economics-are-changing-1451315063 No mention of Monero but the following quote near the end of the article is very significant.
And finally, to remove long term moral hazard, core block size limit should be made dynamic, put in the realm of software, outside of human hands.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2016, 02:02:41 AM

Very interesting article on the Bitcoin blocksize issue by Jeff Garzik and Gavin Andresen. https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/bitcoin-economics-are-changing-1451315063 No mention of Monero but the following quote near the end of the article is very significant.
And finally, to remove long term moral hazard, core block size limit should be made dynamic, put in the realm of software, outside of human hands.

Given the spectacular failure of the Gavinista Reddit Army's rabble-rousing populist assault on 1MB, I'd say BTC's block size limit is firmly "in the realm of software, outside of human hands."

Due to the nature of antifragility, the 1MB limit is now more set in stone than before the (adversarial) attempted XT governance coup began.   Grin

I'm very happy both approaches are being experimented with, as Monero's dynamic approach and BTC's static variable compete in the Darwinian/meritocratic marketplace.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 02:07:59 AM

Given the spectacular failure of the Gavinista Reddit Army's rabble-rousing populist assault on 1MB, I'd say BTC's block size limit is firmly "in the realm of software, outside of human hands."

Due to the nature of antifragility, the 1MB limit is now more set in stone than before the (adversarial) attempted XT governance coup began.   Grin

I'm very happy both approaches are being experimented with, as Monero's dynamic approach and BTC's static variable compete in the Darwinian/meritocratic marketplace.

My bet is with Monero's dynamic approach.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2016, 02:23:38 AM

My bet is with a 50/50 hedge.  Buy the sector, not the firm.

I can't do the BitcoinObituary thing, when all it's done so far is exhibit antifragility at every opportunity and enjoys a first mover advantage involving 6 years of demonstrated success.

My intuition is transparent and opaque ledgers both have roles to play in disrupting/replacing fiat and the BIS shitlords who print it.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
XMRpromotions

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 02:24:49 AM

That is a great quote. It is good to know Monero will never have a block size civil war such as Bitcoin is dealing with now.

Don't buy Monero: https://twitter.com/MoneroPromotion/status/746006420508729344

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 02:34:55 AM

My bet is with a 50/50 hedge.  Buy the sector, not the firm.

I can't do the BitcoinObituary thing, when all it's done so far is exhibit antifragility at every opportunity and enjoys a first mover advantage involving 6 years of demonstrated success.

My intuition is transparent and opaque ledgers both have roles to play in disrupting/replacing fiat and the BIS shitlords who print it.

I know it is tough. I felt the same way for quite a while, and even today I still hold a token amount of Bitcoin and run a full Bitcoin node, on the core network. The hard reality is however that I cannot ignore facts and must put emotion aside. The strongest bet for a transparent ledger may be Dogecoin since it has a tail emission already in place and consequently could implement a Monero style adaptive blocksize without seriously disrupting its social covenant.

What troubles me with Bitcoin is that the long term is not handled, so a strong hands hold / average down strategy may not work.  

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2016, 03:14:58 AM

Monero will never have a block size civil war such as Bitcoin is dealing with now.

Unless something like Actual Widespread Adoption happens before effective pruning, and the blockchain becomes too large for anything outside of a data center.

Then we get to bicker about whether to increase the penalty or set a limit or do segwit.

Let's not indulge in It Can't Happen Here happy talk.  Such a conclusion assumes facts not yet in evidence.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 03:18:38 AM

Monero will never have a block size civil war such as Bitcoin is dealing with now.

Unless something like Actual Widespread Adoption happens before effective pruning, and the blockchain becomes too large for anything outside of a data center.

Then we get to bicker about whether to increase the penalty or set a limit or do segwit.

Let's not indulge in It Can't Happen Here happy talk.  Such a conclusion assumes facts not yet in evidence.

That, and just because we don't have a "block size civil war" doesn't mean we can't have a "{something-other-than-blocksize} civil war".
jehst

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 03:21:51 AM

Let's not indulge in It Can't Happen Here happy talk.  Such a conclusion assumes facts not yet in evidence.

That, and just because we don't have a "block size civil war" doesn't mean we can't have a "{something-other-than-blocksize} civil war".

The emission debate raged for most of xmr's history. With dynamic blocksize and emission and tail emission settled, it's hard to imagine what else moneroites will have to argue over.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 03:32:39 AM

There is one important difference here. In the Monero civil war over emission both options were actually viable from technical and economic point of views over the long term. In the Bitcoin civil war over blocksize none of the options presented are viable technically or economically over the long term

Edit: In the article by Jeff Garzik and Gavin Andresen I cited previously the problem is correctly identified however no solution to the problem is presented.

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 07:12:37 AM

There is one important difference here. In the Monero civil war over emission both options were actually viable from technical and economic point of views over the long term. In the Bitcoin civil war over blocksize none of the options presented are viable technically or economically over the long term 

Monero civil war is about drinking Bordeaux from 1990 or 1973 when only one will be opened.

Bitcoin civil war is about unsuccessfully trying to find source of potable water.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 07:58:56 AM

I figured I would post this here since it sort of deals with the usage of XMR and its price being reflected by this use case of the thread linked below:

there is no other way other than mixing, it is what it was done with the siezed coins from us marshal office in 2014

future solution
make silk road only use 'dash' (darkcoin)
then let the druggies play with dash coins illegally and then swap for clean bitcoins. that way bitcoin doesnt touch silkroad directly

Why use Dash when it is documented by multiple users that sending say 1000 DASH takes several days using "DARKSEND".

hi folks,

using darksend for the first time and have to say its takin ages to complete. i set it to four rounds and its mixing since 20h now!

This user ^ sent me a PM saying it took several days although his post here says 20 hours (I'm guessing that it was with a smaller amount of dash.) Which makes it appear that the larger the transaction, the longer it takes.

Just use Monero (XMR). Use a mixin above 10 when sending a transaction and it takes a few seconds to send.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 08:02:18 AM

Very true.

Hopefully by watching the civil war in Bitcoin take place from the side lines (like I have decided to do for months now) and the pitfalls and mistakes that are made can be avoided or mitigated as much as possible going forward.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 08:07:44 AM

Well I guess Monero has the first mover advantage when it comes to dynamic block size.  Grin

It almost appears that some prominent bitcoin devs/etc are actively ignoring Monero and what it brings to the table.

But that's okay. The technology will live on despite people's ignorance.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 08:49:37 AM

My bet is with a 50/50 hedge.  Buy the sector, not the firm.

I know it is tough. I felt the same way for quite a while, and even today I still hold a token amount of Bitcoin and run a full Bitcoin node, on the core network. The hard reality is however that I cannot ignore facts and must put emotion aside. The strongest bet for a transparent ledger may be Dogecoin since it has a tail emission already in place and consequently could implement a Monero style adaptive blocksize without seriously disrupting its social covenant.

What troubles me with Bitcoin is that the long term is not handled, so a strong hands hold / average down strategy may not work.  

lol  Grin
First time I noticed this Wink

But for DOGE to become widely accepted, it needs a name change. No serious financial people will invest in something called "Dogecoin"
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 09:08:34 AM

My bet is with a 50/50 hedge.  Buy the sector, not the firm.

lol  Grin
First time I noticed this Wink

But for DOGE to become widely accepted, it needs a name change. No serious financial people will invest in something called "Dogecoin"

LOL @ the bold

Anyway, a chain can easily be renamed or packaged by a shiny wrapper (alternate client with a more "respectable" name, same chain).
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 09:47:07 AM

I thought I would never say this, but investing a small % of your crypto in DOGE as a hedge seems reasonable now.
of course, XMR is a way better hedge than DOGE.
And for people who have a low net worth, having more XMR than BTC can even be reasonable.
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 10:12:55 AM

I thought I would never say this, but investing a small % of your crypto in DOGE as a hedge seems reasonable now.
of course, XMR is a way better hedge than DOGE.
And for people who have a low net worth, having more XMR than BTC can even be reasonable.

I'm sure most of us have more XMR than BTC.
Pages: « 1 ... 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 [596] 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: