Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:46:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 [554] 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312385 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 05:47:25 PM

Will Monero get in touch with Ethereum developers, or get the ethereum source code and create a similar lightweight wallet?

It would be nice to see some lightweight clients being done for monero. Preferably similar to Ethereum since its already familiar in the bitcoin space.

Can anybody confirm or deny this?

Maybe there was some discussion I missed? What is the connection between Ethereum and lightweight wallets?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4898

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 06:03:41 PM

Will Monero get in touch with Ethereum developers, or get the ethereum source code and create a similar lightweight wallet?

It would be nice to see some lightweight clients being done for monero. Preferably similar to Ethereum since its already familiar in the bitcoin space.

Maybe there was some discussion I missed? What is the connection between Ethereum and lightweight wallets?

Looks like a indirect troll post to me.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
coinyoo

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 06:27:15 PM

Prices of all serious coins are going up, why not the price of Monero? I guess it was the wrong decision investing in this coin.

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 06:40:43 PM

Prices of all serious coins are going up, why not the price of Monero? I guess it was the wrong decision investing in this coin.

Most coins are either declining or stagnating:

Also, 0.9 is right around the corner, so if I may advise, hold off for a bit and make a new investment evaluation next month.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 06:41:37 PM

I was necessarily promoting to buy gold or anything. I was just saying based on the past history, any legit form of currency is backed by gold or silver. When the fiat system collapses, you need some kind of ratio to judge how much something is worth.. I think it will be gold

I think bitcoin is the new benchmark.

You cannot have a commodity basket because they are all manipulated, to my knowledge bitcoin has small manipulation and decreasing volatility.

Despite scammers, looks like the gold certificate scam is far bigger than any crypto scam can imagine to be.

Are you serious? Bitcoin has no volatility as of right now in your opinion? It went from 240 to 500 in less than a month. Gold has its up and downs, but it's kind of hard to manipulate the market with gold as much as Bitcoin. Plus I agree with you that the gold certificates ended up being one huge scam... Though gold doesn't increase in price 100%+ in less than a month either.

How in your mind is price volatility evidence of manipulation? Is it not possible that an asset is simply volatile for no other reason than normal changes in demand or sentiment? (This is not to say that Bitcoin isn't manipulated, but volatility itself doesn't prove it.)

Also, is it not possible that manipulation takes the form of lower volatility?

You simply can't infer that manipulation is going on by merely looking at the volatility.

Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 06:51:12 PM

In due time.  The beta version needs to become a release version, and then libraryization.  Once that happens, I think we'll see a variety of wallets both official and non-official.  We'll probably even see one funded via the Monero forum....

Oops, what I meant to say was ELECTRUM, not Ethereum.

Fuck, they sound so similar.

So is there any plan to get ELECTRUM lightweight client developers to work on Monero, or copy the source code of it and implement it to Monero so that we can have lightweight clients in Monero?

medusa13

Activity: 453
Merit: 500

hello world

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 07:08:55 PM

lol i was confused too  Grin

anyway i want to talk about price: not a lot going on for now, btc correcting and altcoins hanging in the air, undecided what to do.
Big chunk of asks below 160, it will take some effort to bite through this. A retest of the heavily defended 100-110 zone seems possible to me.

40 cents for now in USD terms, there could be a nice possibility for fiat denominated people to get some. but since many currencies did bad against USD..well..

same same but different Grin

XMR Monero
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 07:13:15 PM

lol i was confused too  Grin

anyway i want to talk about price: not a lot going on for now, btc correcting and altcoins hanging in the air, undecided what to do.
Big chunk of asks below 160, it will take some effort to bite through this. A retest of the heavily defended 100-110 zone seems possible to me.

40 cents for now in USD terms, there could be a nice possibility for fiat denominated people to get some. but since many currencies did bad against USD..well..

same same but different Grin

I am quite sure that wall of asks is just there to accumulate until 0.9 is released, I could be wrong though.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2015, 07:21:43 PM

Monero is up, while Dash is collapsing.

And look at the lending markets.  There are 10s of thousands of XMR available to borrow and short at interest rates so low they are almost zero.

But nobody, not even the supremely ignorant DashHoles, have the guts to try and short XMR.   Cool

We've been in the 40 to 50 cent channel for what, months?

Solid as a rock, you just can't stop us now!  Woo woo woo!   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 08:47:35 PM

In due time.  The beta version needs to become a release version, and then libraryization.  Once that happens, I think we'll see a variety of wallets both official and non-official.  We'll probably even see one funded via the Monero forum....

So is there any plan to get ELECTRUM lightweight client developers to work on Monero, or copy the source code of it and implement it to Monero so that we can have lightweight clients in Monero?

Are you aware the fluffypony has worked on Electrum?

https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/commits?author=fluffypony

The idea of just copying the source code for Electrum is not viable since the architecture of the underlying coin is quite different, unlike Bitcoin fork coins. Some ideas from Electrum can be applied to Monero lightweight wallets though.
Harpua

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Spastic dead-eyed hound.

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 09:27:46 PM

I was necessarily promoting to buy gold or anything. I was just saying based on the past history, any legit form of currency is backed by gold or silver. When the fiat system collapses, you need some kind of ratio to judge how much something is worth.. I think it will be gold

I think bitcoin is the new benchmark.

You cannot have a commodity basket because they are all manipulated, to my knowledge bitcoin has small manipulation and decreasing volatility.

Despite scammers, looks like the gold certificate scam is far bigger than any crypto scam can imagine to be.

Are you serious? Bitcoin has no volatility as of right now in your opinion? It went from 240 to 500 in less than a month. Gold has its up and downs, but it's kind of hard to manipulate the market with gold as much as Bitcoin. Plus I agree with you that the gold certificates ended up being one huge scam... Though gold doesn't increase in price 100%+ in less than a month either.

How in your mind is price volatility evidence of manipulation? Is it not possible that an asset is simply volatile for no other reason than normal changes in demand or sentiment? (This is not to say that Bitcoin isn't manipulated, but volatility itself doesn't prove it.)

Also, is it not possible that manipulation takes the form of lower volatility?

So I'm not a master in the theory of economics, but I understand the fundamental basics.  When I think of market manipulation, I think price manipulation.  I never really thought of it being something other than that.  But because the price of gold is/has been insanely stable through the course of humanity (in regards to purchasing power), I believe that if the fiat system were to collapse and moves toward cryptocurrencies, that there would have to be something tangible to relate to the prices of cryptos whether that be Bitcoin, Monero, or any other crypto that comes out in the future.... or at least I would assume that's how it would work.
RealBitcoin

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 10:15:33 PM

The idea of just copying the source code for Electrum is not viable since the architecture of the underlying coin is quite different, unlike Bitcoin fork coins. Some ideas from Electrum can be applied to Monero lightweight wallets though.

Well obviously they are not compatible , Monero has different architecture than bitcoin.

However a similar looking software, lightweight, could be done for Monero too in a given amount of time, by competent programmers.

This would be a serious advance of Monero, and it will definitely enter in the top 10 after.

It could even challange Bitcoin, if it would be more easy to use.

illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 10:21:19 PM

And look at the lending markets.  There are 10s of thousands of XMR available to borrow and short at interest rates so low they are almost zero.

But nobody, not even the supremely ignorant DashHoles, have the guts to try and short XMR.   Cool

Shorting something is good when you believe there is a bubble in the price which I don't think is the case here. Monero's price is just about where it's supposed to be.

It would also require leaving money potentially for a very long time on an KYC/ALM exchange. Might have something to do with that as well.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 10:31:11 PM

Well obviously they are not compatible , Monero has different architecture than bitcoin.

However a similar looking software, lightweight, could be done for Monero too in a given amount of time, by competent programmers.

This would be a serious advance of Monero, and it will definitely enter in the top 10 after.

It could even challange Bitcoin, if it would be more easy to use.

I agree with this.

The issue is that I can see the other side of the coin and not rushing to release new code that is not tested well.

There is so much going on under the hood of XMR that to hook everything up in such a way that it could be used in say electrum would take a lot of work to get right without any exploits/bugs/ etc. ....even goes the same for creating a GUI.

I think making sure the foundation of the code base is SOUND is of utmost importance.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

RealBitcoin

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 10:47:05 PM

I agree with this.

The issue is that I can see the other side of the coin and not rushing to release new code that is not tested well.

There is so much going on under the hood of XMR that to hook everything up in such a way that it could be used in say electrum would take a lot of work to get right without any exploits/bugs/ etc. ....even goes the same for creating a GUI.

I think making sure the foundation of the code base is SOUND is of utmost importance.

Well sure, but a lightweight client hardly needs to adapt to the core client, only the servers running it have to.

For example electrum doesnt have to put out a new update for every bitcoin core client update, only if the protocol changes.

Yes a sound code is important you want a good foundation, however correct me if i`m wrong , but on the github page there havent been a new release since december 2014, how come?

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/releases

letsplayagame

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 10:57:23 PM

Yes a sound code is important you want a good foundation, however correct me if i`m wrong , but on the github page there havent been a new release since december 2014, how come?

The new release should be coming soon. Until then you are free to compile the current code from github yourself

Chess, Bitcoin, Privacy and Freedom
Code:
 Make BTC Donations via XMR.TO or Shapeshift XMR: 47nMGDMQxEB8CWpWT7QgBLDmTSxgjm9831dVeu24ebCeH8gNPG9RvZAYoPxW2JniKjeq5LXZafwdPWH7AmX2NVji3yYKy76 
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 11:33:37 PM

The new release should be coming soon. Until then you are free to compile the current code from github yourself

There are also BETA binaries available.

GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2015, 12:05:03 AM

Boom! Signature .

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
LucyLovesCrypto

Activity: 414
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 03:16:48 AM

Boom! Signature .

I think this is a useful site to mention:
https://github.com/moneroexamples

It also includes instructions for Ubuntu 15.1 for anyone who may have updated Ubuntu since the time of the tutorial mentioned in your signature
https://github.com/moneroexamples/compile-monero-ubuntu-1510
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4898

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 07:46:53 AM

Ahh, that makes sense. Smiley

Many wallet discussions but this thread is soo long they will be tough to find.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Pages: « 1 ... 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 [554] 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: