Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:01:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 [559] 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312384 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 03:46:31 AM

coinmarket cap is a waist of time, coingecko is a waste of time.... the only thing that matters is the code. Monero wins.

Code which has been developed over the last year but is not yet part of a tagged release is likely the main reason for the significant difference between CoinGecko and CoinMarketCap for Monero.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 03:46:43 AM

Will monero implement the new BIP that will allow decentralized exchanges?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1248631.0

One day we can see a decentralized, MONERO <> BTC exchange system.

We have a very limited but similar feature already in that our nLockTime field works differently than the Bitcoin one (and more like CLTV). It isn't very useful without multisig and some other smart contract capabilities though. We're still studying how to integrate those.

Among other approaches we have looked at integrating Automated Transactions (which is available as open source and has been integrated with several other coins already), but none of it really makes sense without all the other pieces being there as well.

Great keep up the good work, hopefully one day we can see a triangle between MONERO <> NXT <> BTC , instant automatic exchange, no limits, minimal fees, and no trust Smiley

That will be the most glorious day in the cryptocurrency world.

jehst

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 05:30:25 AM

coinmarket cap is a waist of time, coingecko is a waste of time.... the only thing that matters is the code. Monero wins.

Code which has been developed over the last year but is not yet part of a tagged release is likely the main reason for the significant difference between CoinGecko and CoinMarketCap for Monero.

What do you think explains Namecoin's gap?

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2015, 05:33:40 AM

I'm not saying that I base my support for monero only if it's a certain ranking, but more of just curious about the factors they include...
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 07:15:43 AM

i heard about Gox the main problem was they ran a custom back end wallet which was problematic
and eventually they started fudging the books toying with things then when guys got spooked
they didn't have the capital to pay out so many withdrawls and eventually Mark threw a story out about hackers
when in reality he had the coins and knew exactly what the problem was..
NOTE: He had his lawyer admit he found something like 200,000 Bitcoins or something on a USB drive he said he "found in his couch"
AFTER he claimed hackers stole the coins (back around when Gox closed)

cryptsy ?
i think they have had similar problems over the last few years.. i have seen many times that BTC withdrawls will
end up frozen on people when it rocketed up in price.. this got so notorious before i started predicting it..
i would pull my coins out then tell others and then say i told you so afterwards.
i have also seen other fishy account freezing going on before..
what happened only they know but many warning signs point to them not being as honest as they claim to be
I stopped using them and never went back when i was fed some bs excuses when my coins vanished before while i was arb'ing
as soon as some coin exploded in value.. bam ! transfer problems and when i asked i was told their was a fork
and i went to every other exchange and all the other users and not 1 person on the internet so much as hinted at a fork..
BitJohn lied to me i think on Cryptsy chat about it and only after i badgered him about it..
I was on chat for hours and every once in a while i would ask if anyone else was waiting for coins too.. (they were ignoring me on chat playing dumb)
Eventually i was threatened to shut up about it or i'd be booted (they wanted the problem to be quiet)
I am certain they were simply freezing access to peoples coins so they could take advantage of the pump on the coin
by doing their own arb'ing.. with MY coins !
I came here and complained about it and said hey Cryptsy.. that is OUR money not yours your holding
Don't you god damn ever forget that !
so.. i left and i never did trust them and i have seen them pull a lot of shady sketchy shit over the years.
Holding large amounts of coins on there is very dumb i figure.

I cant wait for true decentralized blockchain based exchanges with liquidity.  The have been far too many hacks at various exchanges to trust them with a large amount.

THE TIME IS NOW !

These centralized exchanges just don't work.
I don't mean in some philosophical kind of way either.. i mean they are broken.
Trying sending coins.. cross your fingers Wink

FUD first & ask questions later™
arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 10:18:10 AM

i heard about Gox the main problem was they ran a custom back end wallet which was problematic
and eventually they started fudging the books toying with things then when guys got spooked
they didn't have the capital to pay out so many withdrawls and eventually Mark threw a story out about hackers
when in reality he had the coins and knew exactly what the problem was..
NOTE: He had his lawyer admit he found something like 200,000 Bitcoins or something on a USB drive he said he "found in his couch"
AFTER he claimed hackers stole the coins (back around when Gox closed)

cryptsy ?
i think they have had similar problems over the last few years.. i have seen many times that BTC withdrawls will
end up frozen on people when it rocketed up in price.. this got so notorious before i started predicting it..
i would pull my coins out then tell others and then say i told you so afterwards.
i have also seen other fishy account freezing going on before..
what happened only they know but many warning signs point to them not being as honest as they claim to be
I stopped using them and never went back when i was fed some bs excuses when my coins vanished before while i was arb'ing
as soon as some coin exploded in value.. bam ! transfer problems and when i asked i was told their was a fork
and i went to every other exchange and all the other users and not 1 person on the internet so much as hinted at a fork..
BitJohn lied to me i think on Cryptsy chat about it and only after i badgered him about it..
I was on chat for hours and every once in a while i would ask if anyone else was waiting for coins too.. (they were ignoring me on chat playing dumb)
Eventually i was threatened to shut up about it or i'd be booted (they wanted the problem to be quiet)
I am certain they were simply freezing access to peoples coins so they could take advantage of the pump on the coin
by doing their own arb'ing.. with MY coins !
I came here and complained about it and said hey Cryptsy.. that is OUR money not yours your holding
Don't you god damn ever forget that !
so.. i left and i never did trust them and i have seen them pull a lot of shady sketchy shit over the years.
Holding large amounts of coins on there is very dumb i figure.

I cant wait for true decentralized blockchain based exchanges with liquidity.  The have been far too many hacks at various exchanges to trust them with a large amount.

THE TIME IS NOW !

This exchange did something fishy during vertcoin pump

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=449762.0

Quicken

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 12:34:59 PM

THE TIME IS NOW !

Wait, you're posting in the Monero Speculation thread now? Who are you and what have you done with Spoetnik?
dloghwak

Activity: 290
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 08:56:46 PM

THE TIME IS NOW !

Wait, you're posting in the Monero Speculation thread now? Who are you and what have you done with Spoetnik?
Posting totally offtopic garbage. Probably just wants this thread get deleted for too many offtopic content.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 09:09:33 PM

THE TIME IS NOW !

Posting totally offtopic garbage. Probably just wants this thread get deleted for too many offtopic content.

He didn't do a good job since discussing the risks of centralized exchanges is certainly on topic.

Anyway, let's not clutter up the thread discussing Spoetnik and his antics, that is off topic.

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 02:04:50 AM

Interesting article -> http://www.firstpost.com/business/true-financial-privacy-doesnt-exist-for-businesses-operating-on-bitcoin-blockchain-analyst-2523680.html

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 05:57:52 PM

In case anyone missed it, a few updates from Shen Noether regarding Confidential Transactions (CT) for Monero:

Edit 11/21/2015: things are slowly coming together - MLSAG's have been coded in python (https://github.com/ShenNoether/MiniNero/blob/master/MLSAG.py) and then I need to get the RingCT code using these rather than the LWW sigs. After this I should be able to finish the size analysis in the paper and then hopefully get a really cleaned up copy available.

edit 11/27/2015: demo version of RingCT using the MLSAG's is coded - next up is implementing 1. Diffie helman passing of masks and 2. implement a short representation of amounts

Most recent version:

https://www.overleaf.com/read/qzgytbyyxvyf

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 06:02:56 PM

What do you guys think of BIP 47 and its reusable payment codes. If I understood correctly, that makes using bitcoin more or less anonymous. Isn't this the biggest thread to monero?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3alzga/bip47_reusable_payment_codes/
Payment codes are a technique for creating permanent Bitcoin addresses that can be reused and publicly associated with a real-life identity without creating a loss of financial privacy.
They are similar to stealth addresses, but involve a different set of trade-offs and features that may make them more practical.

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2015, 07:01:56 PM

What do you guys think of BIP 47 and its reusable payment codes. If I understood correctly, that makes using bitcoin more or less anonymous. Isn't this the biggest thread to monero?

Payment codes are a technique for creating permanent Bitcoin addresses that can be reused and publicly associated with a real-life identity without creating a loss of financial privacy.
They are similar to stealth addresses, but involve a different set of trade-offs and features that may make them more practical.

i'm no expert, and I definitely don't understand the proposal, but assuming those that made comments actually understood the proposal, then I'm assuming the standard refrain will be invoked - if it aint in the base layer, then it aint gonna do any good. Add on top of that the amount of effort required as suggested by

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3alzga/bip47_reusable_payment_codes/csesun8

Of course, how are you going to convince people to spend their money on such a thing? You'd have to have an interface that allows people to allocate a certain amount (with at least a default amount that is obviously trivial) to the purpose of "enhanced privacy", with a warning that allocating less to such a purpose damages their privacy.
Basically, it takes work to make privacy, and people don't like to work.

but im sure eventually someone more learned will come along with some better comments.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 07:40:37 PM

Provides only unlinkability not untraceability. This results in no greater privacy than you would have by just not reusing addresses in Bitcoin, and by itself isn't very effective.

Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 07:56:38 PM

Thank you for the answers guys! So, BIP 47 just makes blockchain analyzers work a bit more difficult. Is it that we have to have both - unlinkability and untraceability - to be anonymous? I mean, why?  Grin Honestly, I don't understand this.

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
dadj

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2015, 08:02:35 PM

Thank you for the answers guys! So, BIP 47 just makes blockchain analyzers work a bit more difficult. Is it that we have to have both - unlinkability and untraceability - to be anonymous? I mean, why?  Grin Honestly, I don't understand this.

I think unlinkability is not being able to link past payments, whereas untracability is not being able to to trace future payments. Please someone correct me if that's wrong though.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
YOLOdice.comFast 1% Edge DiceAwesome ChartsFaucetPlay / InvestJOIN NOW!
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 08:07:18 PM

I think unlinkability is not being able to link past payments, whereas untracability is not being able to to trace future payments. Please someone correct me if that's wrong though.

That is part of it yes. Without untracability anyone you pay can follow the trail back and unambiguously identify your other associated transactions (including those that paid you). Without unlinkability once you pay someone you can see other payments (past or future) to the same recipient. The other aspect of it is that a third party can see both of these types of connections, which are the building blocks of blockchain analysis.

"To be anonymous" is a bit vague since it means different things in different contexts. If you want a coin where the chain is hard to analyze and in doing so identify people with transactions, then you want to break both sorts of links described above. Hiding amounts is helpful too.

luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 11:03:04 PM

That is part of it yes. Without untracability anyone you pay can follow the trail back and unambiguously identify your other associated transactions (including those that paid you). Without unlinkability once you pay someone you can see other payments (past or future) to the same recipient. The other aspect of it is that a third party can see both of these types of connections, which are the building blocks of blockchain analysis.

"To be anonymous" is a bit vague since it means different things in different contexts. If you want a coin where the chain is hard to analyze and in doing so identify people with transactions, then you want to break both sorts of links described above. Hiding amounts is helpful too.

I like to compare it to, say, mailing cash to someone. Even though the sender knows your address, he can't see what, if any, other payments you have received (ditto for an outside observer). That's unlinkability. No one except you and the sender can tell what amount was sent (confidential transactions).

Finally, assume no return label: even you the recipient has no idea where the cash came (much less an observer). That's untraceability.

The analogy somewhat holds for an in person exchange as well, but it's much harder to be first hop anonymous in that case.
Szaja1990

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 08:38:22 AM

i Think its perfect time to buy
jehst

Activity: 798

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 08:49:23 AM

i Think its perfect time to buy

.0009 would be a great triple bottom.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
Pages: « 1 ... 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 [559] 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: