Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 07:41:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 [598] 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312498 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
opennux

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 11:25:18 AM

I don't really know if there is a proposition for this kind of idea or not already... but what do you guys suggest the "cryptonote" or XMR community in general, should use as a platform to help ease the transition of cryptocurrencies in the real world monetary system? Do you think we need to have another form of ideology along with secure, anonymous transactions?  Even though "Anarchy" is a type of ideology, it really is pretty fague to me TBH... there is no real structure for how cities, institutions, etc. should be ran "by the people".  I feel if we had some common ground on a type of ideology we can all agree on, then the cause for XMR would seem to serve a bigger purpose than to just have really anonymous transactions in a capitalist/consumer world.

Just been pondering this recently and didn't know what you guys thought about it?

Don't politicise it. There are no reason to do so. In fact, there are many reasons not to, amongst them not bifurcating and balkanising the community.

No need to label it (no one would agree anyway).

It's technology, not politics. Whatever YOU want to use it for is up to you.
kazuki49

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 05:00:46 PM

As someone really interested in the prospects of true e-cash and what a digital currency can bring to the world and the masses of oppressed people I feel very fortunate to have found Monero this early, the Bitcoin situation will only get worse I'm afraid.
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 10:15:05 PM

I'm no stranger to being strange, and thankfully it is obvious to me that Monero will slowly eat at world finance the same way that Bitcoin has. 

The trouble is just getting the initial universe large enough to be attractive as a financial network, but we are making progress. 

Kazuki, being a smart and worldly soul, do you think one should hold an even mix of Bitcoin and Monero or are you abandoning Bitcoin for more advanced projects? 

Personally I'm hoping for a balance of all three (maybe four) of my cryptosavings, from a USD perspective. 

I can't get over how happy I am that 0.9 is officially out.  Once I get home I promise to download and play with it - the time has come for me to learn how to manage my own private keys using some test amounts. 

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2016, 10:25:47 PM

Nice 27k market dump today.

These weren't borrowed coins.  Somebody needed quick cash, probably because they were long something that got crushed.

IOW, 27k XMR moved in a flash from weak to (relatively) strong hands.

Congrats to the lucky bidders who caught that falling knife!   Cool

I hope we revisit the 0.0009s one more time, so my stinky-skunk bids get filled.   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
kazuki49

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 11:17:40 PM

I'm no stranger to being strange, and thankfully it is obvious to me that Monero will slowly eat at world finance the same way that Bitcoin has.  

The trouble is just getting the initial universe large enough to be attractive as a financial network, but we are making progress.  

Kazuki, being a smart and worldly soul, do you think one should hold an even mix of Bitcoin and Monero or are you abandoning Bitcoin for more advanced projects?  

Personally I'm hoping for a balance of all three (maybe four) of my cryptosavings, from a USD perspective.  

I can't get over how happy I am that 0.9 is officially out.  Once I get home I promise to download and play with it - the time has come for me to learn how to manage my own private keys using some test amounts.  

My approach is unconventional, right now I hold no Bitcoins anymore, I recommend people doing what they feel like, I'm fond of rpietila comments about kelly and hedging so the safest bet would keep holding more bitcoins than moneroj but I'm personally not interested in participating in bitcoin as an user anymore and I don't trade. Keep holding bitcoin and some moneroj (note that ''some'' at this stage is like 5 figures xmr, because monero is very undervalued imo) at worst you'll be able to buy more cheap monero and not losing much if something happens to monero, yeah if you are heavy in crypto but conservative keep bitcoins and moneroj, I've made a decision to bite the ''risk'' because I still think monero is the best e-cash the world has seen and the community is top notch. I would really like the see a world Monero is where Bitcoin is at now, it would not have problems going further because the fundamentals are a lot stronger than with Bitcoin (and hash-rate is relative to the price so I don't count as a weak fundamental).
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 12:45:12 AM

These weren't borrowed coins.  Somebody needed quick cash, probably because they were long something that got crushed.

I hope we revisit the 0.0009s one more time, so my stinky-skunk bids get filled.   Cheesy

It is somewhat positive that most of the decline can be attributed to this dumper and another 7k dumper. Few months ago it was just dumping non stop when Bitcoin went up. However, we haven't broke the altcoin-peg / correlation yet.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2016, 01:19:50 AM

It is somewhat positive that most of the decline can be attributed to this dumper and another 7k dumper. Few months ago it was just dumping non stop when Bitcoin went up. However, we haven't broke the altcoin-peg / correlation yet.

Way too early to reasonably expect XMR to have already broken that peg.

We need a Grayscale-type GXMR to soak up coins and keep them permanently off the market, like GBTC does for Bitcoin.

Amino's proposed dev-bond could also fulfill that function.

But first we need to develop the local BTCT economy.  Like LTC did, back in the good old days.

I've got a pile of stuff I can sell for XMR.  Silver bullion, silver collectibles, colloidal silver, comic books.

We just need a trusted escrow guy.  I'd suggest smoothie, but he's probably too busy.  Any volunteers?

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 01:32:40 AM

I wouldn't mind providing escrow services for a 1% fee. I'd say I'm pretty trustworthy when it comes to holding other people's XMR.

I believe dnaleor has also provided escrow services in the past, if he is interested.

GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2016, 01:41:53 AM

Like a simple craiglist page but for xmr?

I guess i have some stuff to sell too.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 02:05:44 AM

I wouldn't mind providing escrow services for a 1% fee. I'd say I'm pretty trustworthy when it comes to holding other people's XMR.

I believe dnaleor has also provided escrow services in the past, if he is interested.

Maybe the best approach is to have a list of escrows and they can divide up the effort. There are definitely several trustworthy people within the Monero community who would want to support something like that if it weren't a high workload.

It's an interesting idea, sort of craigslist/ebay/openbazaar/etc.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2016, 02:09:28 AM

Like a simple craiglist page but for xmr?

I guess i have some stuff to sell too.

Oh lord how I miss Bitmit.   Cry

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitmit

It was too perfect and awesome to exist in this shitty world.   Tongue

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 02:45:37 AM

Bitmit was awesome, but centralized escrow proved to be a problem for it, both with theft and regulation concerns.

Perhaps a combination of user feedback + independent escrows would be the perfect solution. Escrow providers could set their own fees and would receive feedback, so buyers/sellers could choose accordingly. Additionally, the site itself would hold no funds so it would not be vulnerable to theft.

GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2016, 04:17:49 AM

I'm selling custom built miners. Or I can build them and run them in my basement for a fee. Or you can just send me monero and I'll keep mining monero. Something with mining. I know of at least 2 individuals that have hardware that they have silent because their electricity costs are too high and/or they can't find a place to house their stuff.

and eventually I'll have this monerodo device done which I'll be selling for monero, obviously. Now I'm debating if I should have the software update via github pull / compile or just download "official" binaries. Thoughts? I could also just have it checkout some version... though I've found it a pain to un-checkout things, or go back to head or whatever.

oh yeah. I speculate bananas.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 07:24:13 AM

I'm selling custom built miners. Or I can build them and run them in my basement for a fee. Or you can just send me monero and I'll keep mining monero. Something with mining. I know of at least 2 individuals that have hardware that they have silent because their electricity costs are too high and/or they can't find a place to house their stuff.

and eventually I'll have this monerodo device done which I'll be selling for monero, obviously. Now I'm debating if I should have the software update via github pull / compile or just download "official" binaries. Thoughts? I could also just have it checkout some version... though I've found it a pain to un-checkout things, or go back to head or whatever.

The bold part basically tells the whole story: you pay 1 Monero for a miner, the miner mines and pays you 0.9 XMR and you take a risk that you might even not get even 0.9 XMR.. Sounds like a deal to me.
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 11:12:58 AM

Bitmit was awesome, but centralized escrow proved to be a problem for it, both with theft and regulation concerns.

Perhaps a combination of user feedback + independent escrows would be the perfect solution. Escrow providers could set their own fees and would receive feedback, so buyers/sellers could choose accordingly. Additionally, the site itself would hold no funds so it would not be vulnerable to theft.

would be a very good idea imho. We could easily start a subreddit for this and have a list of escrows as pinned post.
People can contact escrows or just post their offer. if the other party wants an escrow he can contact one, or an escrow can just propose himself.

edit2: reputation can be managed by having a single reply in the escrow thread for every escrow and people can post their experiences in that thread.

edit: a website would be more professional of course, but that can take some time until, someone puts it online.
cryptodromeda

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 11:31:49 AM

would be a very good idea imho. We could easily start a subreddit for this and have a list of escrows as pinned post.
People can contact escrows or just post their offer. if the other party wants an escrow he can contact one, or an escrow can just propose himself.

edit2: reputation can be managed by having a single reply in the escrow thread for every escrow and people can post their experiences in that thread.

edit: a website would be more professional of course, but that can take some time until, someone puts it online.

Maybe start off with just a dedicated thread here on BCT, as a seemingly empty subreddit can often send out the wrong message.

Allow the thread to build up steam and it will act as a perpetual advert which can then be used as a springboard for something more permanent elsewhere.

It's a kind of blindness that reason alone cannot cure.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 02:38:12 PM

Funding required for implementation of Ring Confidential Transactions (CT) (by Shen Noether aka NobleSir), which will also enable the implementation of ring multi-signature!

https://forum.getmonero.org/7/open-tasks/2450/ring-ct-c-crypto

Shen's comment regarding ring multi-signature:

Yes - there are a couple of ways to go with the multisig - once the MG sigs are there, the method detailed in section 4.4 here https://www.overleaf.com/read/qzgytbyyxvyf is available (probably even without the CT part of, but then you have to be more careful with amounts).

All updates, whitepapers etc. regarding Ring Confidential Transactions (CT) can be found here ->  https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3pw30d/ringct_for_monero_updated_versions/

Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 06:25:48 PM

Fully funded!

bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2214
Merit: 3209

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 07:10:02 PM

Funding required for implementation of Ring Confidential Transactions (CT) (by Shen Noether aka NobleSir), which will also enable the implementation of ring multi-signature!

https://forum.getmonero.org/7/open-tasks/2450/ring-ct-c-crypto

Shen's comment regarding ring multi-signature:

Yes - there are a couple of ways to go with the multisig - once the MG sigs are there, the method detailed in section 4.4 here https://www.overleaf.com/read/qzgytbyyxvyf is available (probably even without the CT part of, but then you have to be more careful with amounts).

All updates, whitepapers etc. regarding Ring Confidential Transactions (CT) can be found here ->  https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3pw30d/ringct_for_monero_updated_versions/

Absolutely incredible, awesome news! It is hard to even imagine the potential new use cases and anonymity this will add to Monero.

- You can figure out what will happen, not when /Warren Buffett
- Pay any Bitcoin address privately with a little help of Monero.
phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2016, 07:41:23 PM

Just curious, what's the cost of the miners you are building, and how are they different from say, your average mining computer?
Pages: « 1 ... 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 [598] 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: