Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:06:25 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 [1266] 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312568 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 29, 2016, 06:47:29 AM
Last edit: November 29, 2016, 07:00:55 AM by ArticMine

I'm with you on being bearish on Bitcoin.  Even though it might go up in the next year or two, I can't stand using it.  I transferred some BTC from Polo to Circle pay today and it took over 2.5 hours for it to show up in my Circle account.  There is no way that will be adopted mainstream if that continues to be the case.  We want instant gratification, and results.

With that said, how quickly does XMR transactions settle?  I'm bullish on it from a trading perspective but don't have good technical comprehension of the specs.  

Monero has average 2 min blocks vs Bitcoin 10 min blocks so Monero does give a finer grains as to the number of confirmations to accept. "Settle" is in the eye of the recipient as to how many confirmations they accept. I have seen 15 for Monero so around 30 min, The issue with Bitcoin is that network is overloaded so it can take a while to get the first confirmation. My understanding is that Circle requires 4 confirmations for Bitcoin so in theory around 40 min; however since the network is overloaded it can take 2 hours to get the first confirmation ( I have heard of people waiting a day)  hence the 2.5 hour wait time.

The key technical difference here is that Monero can scale the blocksize to meet transaction demand while Bitcoin with its fixed 1 MB blocksize cannot.

Edit: Bitcoin currently has over 110,000 unconfirmed transactions. https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions.  It is hardly surprising that people have to wait a while for the first confirmation.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2016, 07:30:42 AM
Last edit: November 29, 2016, 08:36:37 AM by iCEBREAKER

Monero has average 2 min blocks vs Bitcoin 10 min blocks so Monero does give a finer grains as to the number of confirmations to accept. "Settle" is in the eye of the recipient as to how many confirmations they accept. I have seen 15 for Monero so around 30 min, The issue with Bitcoin is that network is overloaded so it can take a while to get the first confirmation. My understanding is that Circle requires 4 confirmations for Bitcoin so in theory around 40 min; however since the network is overloaded it can take 2 hours to get the first confirmation ( I have heard of people waiting a day)  hence the 2.5 hour wait time.

The key technical difference here is that Monero can scale the blocksize to meet transaction demand while Bitcoin with its fixed 1 MB blocksize cannot.
Edit: Bitcoin currently has over 110,000 unconfirmed transactions. https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions.  It is hardly surprising that people have to wait a while for the first confirmation.

This analyses neglects the order(s) of magnitude difference in the networks' relative strength.

The Bitcoin network's PoW is backed by ASICs consuming more power than Bangladesh.

Monero's CPUs and GPUs might be using a medium sized city's worth of electricity.

So we can't do a valid minute to minute (apples to apples) comparison, because it would be tremendously easier to attack and orphan/reorder an hour's worth of Monero's blocks than Bitcoin's.

And regardless of today's Cosmic Background Spam level, Bitcoin is not "overloaded" so long as competitive fees prioritize their tx accordingly.  Such panicky Chicken Little rhetoric has been thoroughly rubbished by the socioeconomic majority, and is now relegated to being the subject of mirth and contempt.

Monero does not (nor should ever) unflinchingly accept every bit of data people wish to store on its blockchain.

It is a distinction without a difference to dwell on the fact Monero's block size cap is flexible rather than static like Bitcoin's, because both approaches ultimately exclude marginal (IE priced out) use cases.

This is due to Monero's block reward penalty for increased size, a feature that Bitcoin lacks and cannot implement without also adding a tail emission, which is practically impossible due to Bitcoin's wholly intentional eschewance of contentious hard forks.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
November 29, 2016, 08:22:04 AM

About 12-14 more days, and then capitulation near 0.0044. When that has happened, I'll tell if it was the last chance to buy low, or whether there'll be a double bottom later, confirming the new trading zone to be above 0.0042.

- Accumulate near 0.006 if you are totally out now
- Do not touch 0.005-0.006 (falling knife)
- Buy at the capitulation area in 0.004-0.005
- If it dips below 0.004, margin long

It has been over two weeks now since your call so I wanted to revisit this one...

XMR was about 0.0085 BTC when you posted that.  It has been bouncing off that level and headed higher ever since, no big dumps or capitulations in sight.

Do you maintain your bearish medium-term outlook?  Should we be selling into this "strength"?  What was the reason behind your original call?  Are you just looking at technical analysis or is there something more specific behind it?

Somebody is dumping Monero down - did you wake him up? Wink

我想要火箭和火车
volyova
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 29, 2016, 08:30:22 AM
Last edit: November 29, 2016, 08:42:24 AM by volyova

Has this scam-clone got a gui wallet yet?
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
November 29, 2016, 11:36:53 AM

Sweet of you to drop by Volyova.  

In answer, not quite - we still have our heads firmly in the sand though, just like your new avatar, it seems.

We have a GUI you can compile yourself which functions - but it's waiting for a daemon update to be a GUI which is idiot proof.

TLDR?

Soon™

我想要火箭和火车
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
November 29, 2016, 04:50:36 PM

Sweet of you to drop by Volyova...  

OMG, LOL... "scam clone" and harping on the GUI? 

If this is all the trolls have to work with any more I think we're in great shape guys... LOL

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1968

View Profile
November 29, 2016, 05:38:54 PM

Sweet of you to drop by Volyova...  

OMG, LOL... "scam clone" and harping on the GUI? 

If this is all the trolls have to work with any more I think we're in great shape guys... LOL

Off topic, but this gave me a chuckle. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg17021307#msg17021307 Cheesy

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
November 29, 2016, 05:53:18 PM

Dear con artists and other thieves,

It appears 0.01 holds pretty well with this scammy shitcoin.  Grin
johnsmithx

Activity: 589
Merit: 507

I don't buy nor sell anything here and never will.

View Profile
November 30, 2016, 12:02:05 AM

Totally untrue that Monero is mined entirely by botnets, I know at least 1 person who is not a bot.

My list of 43(+3) reviewed Bitcoin forks | You don't have to download the pre-fork blockchain again for each fork! | Beware of fraudulent AWS accounts sellers and dangerous edu AWS codes! + My personal list of legit sellers and scammers | Never publicly reveal your btc addresses, ownership or any other details and stay very far away from anybody who asks you to! | The general rule of safe buying is: if the seller is a newbie, with no reputation, with no topic nor trust feedback, offering no vouches and/or selling from a locked or self-moderated topic and unwilling to go first or use escrow => AVOID. Always check the trust feedback first and make sure that you have enabled "Show untrusted feedback by default" in "Profile / Forum Profile Information".
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
November 30, 2016, 12:23:35 AM

About 12-14 more days, and then capitulation near 0.0044. When that has happened, I'll tell if it was the last chance to buy low, or whether there'll be a double bottom later, confirming the new trading zone to be above 0.0042.

- Accumulate near 0.006 if you are totally out now
- Do not touch 0.005-0.006 (falling knife)
- Buy at the capitulation area in 0.004-0.005
- If it dips below 0.004, margin long

It has been over two weeks now since your call so I wanted to revisit this one...

XMR was about 0.0085 BTC when you posted that.  It has been bouncing off that level and headed higher ever since, no big dumps or capitulations in sight.

Do you maintain your bearish medium-term outlook?  Should we be selling into this "strength"?  What was the reason behind your original call?  Are you just looking at technical analysis or is there something more specific behind it?

Somebody is dumping Monero down - did you wake him up? Wink

I think you can as well buy now.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1968

View Profile
November 30, 2016, 12:40:55 AM

Totally untrue that Monero is mined entirely by botnets, I know at least 1 person who is not a bot.

I know, I just thought it was funny that he posted that over on the dash thread. I not a bot either, I mine xmr long time, over 2 years now! Cheesy

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
astmandu

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 30, 2016, 01:28:15 AM

Edit: Bitcoin currently has over 110,000 unconfirmed transactions. https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions.  It is hardly surprising that people have to wait a while for the first confirmation.

This analyses neglects the order(s) of magnitude difference in the networks' relative strength.

The Bitcoin network's PoW is backed by ASICs consuming more power than Bangladesh.

Monero's CPUs and GPUs might be using a medium sized city's worth of electricity.

So we can't do a valid minute to minute (apples to apples) comparison, because it would be tremendously easier to attack and orphan/reorder an hour's worth of Monero's blocks than Bitcoin's.

And regardless of today's Cosmic Background Spam level, Bitcoin is not "overloaded" so long as competitive fees prioritize their tx accordingly.  Such panicky Chicken Little rhetoric has been thoroughly rubbished by the socioeconomic majority, and is now relegated to being the subject of mirth and contempt.

Monero does not (nor should ever) unflinchingly accept every bit of data people wish to store on its blockchain.

It is a distinction without a difference to dwell on the fact Monero's block size cap is flexible rather than static like Bitcoin's, because both approaches ultimately exclude marginal (IE priced out) use cases.

This is due to Monero's block reward penalty for increased size, a feature that Bitcoin lacks and cannot implement without also adding a tail emission, which is practically impossible due to Bitcoin's wholly intentional eschewance of contentious hard forks.

I appreciate your and ArticMine's responses.  I'm very impressed with your technical knowledge...I could impress with legal theory...but it's irrelevant to the masses.  I count myself among the masses who just want something to work...we don't care about the technical elegance, Segwit, BU, etc.  I don't expect Bitcoin to replace Paypal.  Who knows where things will go...that's why we're speculating.  In the end, Bitcoin has first mover advantage but so did MySpace.  I hope Monero and a few other notables continue to challenge it. 

Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
November 30, 2016, 01:45:50 AM

I'm with you on being bearish on Bitcoin.  Even though it might go up in the next year or two, I can't stand using it.  I transferred some BTC from Polo to Circle pay today and it took over 2.5 hours for it to show up in my Circle account.  There is no way that will be adopted mainstream if that continues to be the case.  We want instant gratification, and results.

With that said, how quickly does XMR transactions settle?  I'm bullish on it from a trading perspective but don't have good technical comprehension of the specs. 

Since the Monero network is far less secure than Bitcoin's, you must wait proportionally longer for the same degree of confirmation reliability (ie irreversibility) .

Let's very generously assume Monero has 10% of Bitcoin's blockchain security/immutability (best way to measure the different PoW is probably by how much electricity each consumes).  6 confirmations are recommended for Bitcoin so at 10 minutes each that's 1 hour.  Now multiply that by 10 to account for Monero's relative strength, and we get 6 hours.

That number is way out. Monero network is less secure then Bitcoin, but is also less worth so attacking it would bring less profit and is less likely to be attacked.

6 bitcoin confirmations is quite a bit. I think 4 are more then enough.  One Monero block takes 2 minutes so in 40 minutes that Bitcoin should have 4 confirmations, Monero will have 20.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
November 30, 2016, 01:58:13 AM

I'm with you on being bearish on Bitcoin.  Even though it might go up in the next year or two, I can't stand using it.  I transferred some BTC from Polo to Circle pay today and it took over 2.5 hours for it to show up in my Circle account.  There is no way that will be adopted mainstream if that continues to be the case.  We want instant gratification, and results.

With that said, how quickly does XMR transactions settle?  I'm bullish on it from a trading perspective but don't have good technical comprehension of the specs.  

Since the Monero network is far less secure than Bitcoin's, you must wait proportionally longer for the same degree of confirmation reliability (ie irreversibility) .

Let's very generously assume Monero has 10% of Bitcoin's blockchain security/immutability (best way to measure the different PoW is probably by how much electricity each consumes).  6 confirmations are recommended for Bitcoin so at 10 minutes each that's 1 hour.  Now multiply that by 10 to account for Monero's relative strength, and we get 6 hours.

That number is way out. Monero network is less secure then Bitcoin, but is also less worth so attacking it would bring less profit and is less likely to be attacked.

6 bitcoin confirmations is quite a bit. I think 4 are more then enough.  One Monero block takes 2 minutes so in 40 minutes that Bitcoin should have 4 confirmations, Monero will have 20.

So basically there is a ratio of "attack-ability" to "reward".

The cost and reward of attacking.

But there also exists some who may not want a reward monetarily from attacking say Monero.

The reward may come from devaluing another crypto because of its "insecurity" in network hash by attacking it purely to create short-term chaos.

Direct and indirect "rewards" exist.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 30, 2016, 02:43:05 AM

Interesting article on how the Bitcoin Lighting Network can fail. https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/here-s-how-bitcoin-s-lightning-network-could-fail-1467736127 One of the possible solutions: An adaptive blocksize limit.
For one, an adaptive block size limit could allow miners to increase capacity in these sorts of failure scenarios.
Enough said.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Luxo

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2016, 02:56:31 AM

I have a good gut feeling about all this. In a month or two, when XMR will go up I believe there will be plenty of FOMO making the price go up fast like how it did during the DNM announcement.

Hope it happens Smiley
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2016, 03:48:13 AM

I'm with you on being bearish on Bitcoin.  Even though it might go up in the next year or two, I can't stand using it.  I transferred some BTC from Polo to Circle pay today and it took over 2.5 hours for it to show up in my Circle account.  There is no way that will be adopted mainstream if that continues to be the case.  We want instant gratification, and results.

With that said, how quickly does XMR transactions settle?  I'm bullish on it from a trading perspective but don't have good technical comprehension of the specs. 

Let's very generously assume Monero has 10% of Bitcoin's blockchain security/immutability (best way to measure the different PoW is probably by how much electricity each consumes).  6 confirmations are recommended for Bitcoin so at 10 minutes each that's 1 hour.  Now multiply that by 10 to account for Monero's relative strength, and we get 6 10 hours.

6 bitcoin confirmations is quite a bit. I think 4 are more then enough.  One Monero block takes 2 minutes so in 40 minutes that Bitcoin should have 4 confirmations, Monero will have 20.

Where are you getting this "4 are more then enough" idea?  I guess that's true if you are buying a Frappuchino or Doritos.  But "freshly-mined coins cannot be spent for 100 blocks."

Whoops, I screwed up editing and should have said "10 hours" not "6 hours" (assuming Monero's PoW is 10% as effective as Bitcoin's).

Yes, I know the number is "way out."  It was merely illustrative approximation, as I cannot be arsed to look up and extrapolate from current actual figures.   Grin

The phrase "very generously assume" indicates Monero's PoW network strength is probably not even remotely close to 10% of Bitcoin's.

The actual figure is probably closer to 1%, so we're looking at 100 hours for XMR settlement security equivalent to 6 Bitcoin confs.

You and ArcticMine don't seem to be grokking the concept that 40 minutes of 100 megawatt XMR PoW is in no way equivalent to 40 minutes of 10 gigawatt BTC PoW.

That's basic high school physics.

Fixating on a side issue, that of direct economic incentives (cost/benefit) for attackers, is a distraction and spurious digression.

Speculating about motivations is in this context (answering astmandu's question about XMR settlement time) not helpful.

As smoothie pointed out, there exist infinitely more indirect incentives than the most naive possible direct monetary one.

The best example of indirect, non-monetary incentives is "I did it for the LULZ."   Grin

Regardless of our hypothetical adversary's incentive and motivation, attacking and orphaning 40 minutes worth of Bitcoin blocks would be roughly 100 times harder than doing the same to Monero.  And that fact is reflected in their 100:1 market cap ratio.

So a good estimate of XMR settlement times must account for that vast (albeit rapidly shrinking) difference in the quality of the two coins' PoW.

The Work in Proof of Work is measured by the amount of electrical power consumed to produce a confirmation, not mere passage of time.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 30, 2016, 04:31:45 AM
Last edit: November 30, 2016, 04:50:10 AM by ArticMine

6 bitcoin confirmations is quite a bit. I think 4 are more then enough.  One Monero block takes 2 minutes so in 40 minutes that Bitcoin should have 4 confirmations, Monero will have 20.

Where are you getting this "4 are more then enough" idea?  I guess that's true if you are buying a Frappuchino or Doritos.  But "freshly-mined coins cannot be spent for 100 blocks."

Whoops, I screwed up editing and should have said "10 hours" not "6 hours" (assuming Monero's PoW is 10% as effective as Bitcoin's).

Yes, I know the number is "way out."  It was merely illustrative approximation, as I cannot be arsed to look up and extrapolate from current actual figures.   Grin

The phrase "very generously assume" indicates Monero's PoW network strength is probably not even remotely close to 10% of Bitcoin's.

The actual figure is probably closer to 1%, so we're looking at 100 hours for XMR settlement security equivalent to 6 Bitcoin confs.

You and ArcticMine don't seem to be grokking the concept that 40 minutes of 100 megawatt XMR PoW is in no way equivalent to 40 minutes of 10 gigawatt BTC PoW.

That's basic high school physics.

Fixating on a side issue, that of direct economic incentives (cost/benefit) for attackers, is a distraction and spurious digression.

Speculating about motivations is in this context (answering astmandu's question about XMR settlement time) not helpful.

As smoothie pointed out, there exist infinitely more indirect incentives than the most naive possible direct monetary one.

The best example of indirect, non-monetary incentives is "I did it for the LULZ."   Grin

Regardless of our hypothetical adversary's incentive and motivation, attacking and orphaning 40 minutes worth of Bitcoin blocks would be roughly 100 times harder than doing the same to Monero.  And that fact is reflected in their 100:1 market cap ratio.

So a good estimate of XMR settlement times must account for that vast (albeit rapidly shrinking) difference in the quality of the two coins' PoW.

The Work in Proof of Work is measured by the amount of electrical power consumed to produce a confirmation, not mere passage of time.

The biggest risk with the number of confirmations is not a 51% attack but natural chain reorganizations. This is depended on block time rather than the overall effective hash rate. The figures of 3-4 confirmations (Bitcoin) / 15 confirmations (Monero) are fairly typical in the industry.

For Bitcoin 0 confirmations is now a extremely high risk because there is a significant chance the transaction could be delayed for some time or even not mined at all. A simple "double spend" attack in this case is for the sender resend the transaction with a much higher fee, while the transaction is still unconfirmed.

Edit: Or simply send the transaction with a slightly sub optimal fee. Then  there is a significant chance that the transaction is not mined at all, and there is no explicit "fraud" action of sending the second double spend transaction. This could make a criminal case for fraud very difficult if not impossible because of the need to prove intent. I suspect the current spam attack on the Bitcoin network is based on this premise. The spammer is counting on the fact that the vast majority of the spam transactions will never be mined.

johnsmithx

Activity: 589
Merit: 507

I don't buy nor sell anything here and never will.

View Profile
November 30, 2016, 04:40:35 AM

I know, I just thought it was funny that he posted that over on the dash thread. I not a bot either, I mine xmr long time, over 2 years now! Cheesy

Good, now I know 2 non-bot miners. We should start a club Wink

My list of 43(+3) reviewed Bitcoin forks | You don't have to download the pre-fork blockchain again for each fork! | Beware of fraudulent AWS accounts sellers and dangerous edu AWS codes! + My personal list of legit sellers and scammers | Never publicly reveal your btc addresses, ownership or any other details and stay very far away from anybody who asks you to! | The general rule of safe buying is: if the seller is a newbie, with no reputation, with no topic nor trust feedback, offering no vouches and/or selling from a locked or self-moderated topic and unwilling to go first or use escrow => AVOID. Always check the trust feedback first and make sure that you have enabled "Show untrusted feedback by default" in "Profile / Forum Profile Information".
volyova
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
November 30, 2016, 09:42:27 AM

Sweet of you to drop by Volyova.  

In answer, not quite - we still have our heads firmly in the sand though, just like your new avatar, it seems.

We have a GUI you can compile yourself which functions - but it's waiting for a daemon update to be a GUI which is idiot proof.

TLDR?

Soon™
Oh, thanks for your kind reply!
Pages: « 1 ... 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 [1266] 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: